The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #476
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Default Re: DmC: Devil May Cry - Part 1

Excluding a few details that bothered me a bit, I liked pretty much everything about this game, which I completed last night.

The combat is just so good that, whenever I wasn't killing demons, I wanted to be killing demons. I wanted to quickly reach the next section where there were more of them to slay. It was satisfying to build the SSS combo without being hit, switching from angelic, to demonic weapons, alternating between Rebellion and the guns Ebony and Ivory and the shotgun Revenant (Kablooey was the only boring weapon in this game). I also feel like there is more variety here compared to DMC3, which was my favorite so far. We can switch from 8 different weapons on the fly, without having to choose what weapon I'm going to put in a limited inventory to use until I reach the next divine statue. And how much easier it is to reach an enemy. We can grab them to us or grab us to them. No time is wasted going from one devil to the other. If the we're in a really tight spot, the angelic dodge is more appropriated, since the enemy can't hurt us while we quickly teleport away from the attack, but if we want to increase the combo and it is safe to dodge at the last minute, then we have the demonic dodge for that. All of this details make the combat so satisfying that I just don't get tired. I already want to try a harder difficulty even though I just finished it. The designs of the level are another plus, since there is not backtracking. It doesn't tire us. Every place feels different and alive, specially since it is always breaking and modifying, which shows how much care the developers put into this. This world is populated. In the old series, I felt like there was me and the demons, because that is all we ever saw. Even DMC2, which takes place in the city, has no one in sight.

The story is another good point for me. I'll expect a deeper story from Beyond: Two Souls, or a dramatic and impacting from The Last of Us, but from Devil May Cry? This is what I expect. Actually, it was a little more. I saw some praising the acting from the actor portraying Dante, saying that he brought nuance to the personality, more character, something more relatable. I could see that. There was a moment I liked where Kat said that the nightmares were worse than Limbo, and Dante makes an expression like ''what? Nightmares worse than Limbo? You crazy, b!+<h?'' We could see it by how he moved his eyes and the ajar mouth. The conversations between Dante and Kat or Dante and Vergil just felt natural, like when Dante was genuinely interested on Kat's reasons or her past when talking to her in the moving staircase, inside the factory and in the car, or the typical peeve between brothers that Dante and Vergil had before and after facing Mundus. It's not the most thought out story, but it was interesting. It was nice to see these characters develop and interact. I want to see more of them.

As for the changes, I don't really feel like this Dante could become the DMC3 Dante. Maybe skip directly to DMC1 Dante. Nonetheless, I like both versions. While I feel that the old Dante is more about style, I feel this one is more about raw power, although there is a lot of class in the switch of his attacks, but he isn't as acrobatic and badass like the classic one. No loss, I like this Dante the way he is. He feels more vulnerable, but more relatable too. Sparda, on the other side of the table, is a change that I didn't like. I have no beefs with Eva being an angel and mother of the twins since we knew little about her in the old series, but Sparda was the ultimate badass, before. Everyone wanted his power and wanted to be like him. Now he is a weakling that is suffering in hell. He was a legend before that sacrificed himself to kill all the demons in his way and close the gates of hell, now he is, or at least feels like, a puny devil who can't defend himself. That's a massive downgrade. But the one I felt suffered the biggest change was Vergil. The personality is just so different, whereas he was extremely cold before, now he is more calculist. Not that I didn't like it, but that voice of his is what prevents him from feeling stronger and more powerfull. The actor did a good job with him, but the voice just doesn't match. Kat was a nice adition, since it is good to have someone to care about, besides my own ass, and she is someone that I'd want to protect. Mundus doesn't really compare either, but he was more developed here than in DMC1, where he had just a few lines, but really felt like a ''god'' between the demons. In this one, he was just so easily defeated that in my mind I wondered ''is that it?''. The battle against Vergil wasn't one of the strongest points of the game either. It was good, but far, faaar from the awesomeness that it was in DMC3, at the top of the tower, in the rain. Maybe I kinda pitied him in the battle, whereas in the old game I felt he was a force to be reckoned with, a huge obstacle to overcome. They'll have a chance to make it better in a sequel, if they ever make it.

I kept reading about swearing and cursing in this game and about it being crass. That is an exageration. In a round of friends, we curse more in 5 minutes than all of the characters do in the entire game. Some made it seem like they did it in every line, but it is far in between them. They naturally curse, like when they're angry, when they're trying to minimize another character or just provoking someone. I try to put myself in the same place to see if I'd do it too. I certainly would.

What we also use to hear from hurt fans who didn't like the direction that they took is: ''would you like if they changed your favorite franchises, too?''
Guess what, DMC IS one of my favorite franchises. After completing the games, I even looked for more over the internet to learn more about the story. I watched and enjoyed the anime. I wanted a DMC5. But they headed another direction. They began a different world, with a different Dante, trying to tell the story on their way, but bringing a great combat system with it, which is the MAIN thing on a game and that is why I got this one. Because the gameplay comes first and they convinced me that it would be great. I loved it. The story is a bonus and, fortunately, I liked. That did a good enough story where I cared about what I was doing.
But now, what if they do it with my other favorite franchises, like GOD OF WAR, for example? Honestly, I have more important things to worry about, like my job, money, taxes, family, my thesis and many other responsabilities. I'm past the time where I considered such trivial things in a game to be so important. I don't care anymore. If they want to change it, then do it. All I ask is for great games. I want fun games to pick up, play and have a good time. If they want to take God of War, give us a different protagonist, a different setting, different story, but still deliver us a game with fun gameplay and really put their care in it, making something interesting and worth purchasing, then I'll get it and play it. That's all I ask at this moment. Good games.

Unfortunately, the gaming world isn't like that. There are just way too much people turning a game's universe into a relevant part of their lives and because of them, we probably won't get a sequel. Which is a shame. I really want a continuation of this story. Now that the world is aware of the demons, they'll look for someone to hunt them. A devil hunter. What a good time for Dante to start his hunting business and name it appropriately: Devil May Cry.
9.5/10

Last edited by Jick09; 02-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Jick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #477
def28
Side-Kick

Glad you dug it Jick Its pretty damn good. I agree with alot of what you said.

Dante and Kat were by far the best out of all the characters for me while Vergil was kind of a disappointment. Sparda and Mundus are my biggest problems character wise. Most the cursing I have no problem with now, infact alot of the time during gameplay Dante says the same **** Im yelling at the screen haha. What I dont dig with the cursing is when it feels the games using it to be cool or edgy. Which is how they marketed it. Mundus as well, all his lines felt forced to me and overall I just thought the dude was pretty lame.

This game got over 50 hours of gameplay out of me and most the time I was having a blast. Dante Must Die was by far my favorite. The others were just kinda boring or at times annoying but thats how the one kill hit stuff goes. Plus Im burnt on it. It would have been a smart move for Capcom to make DMC5 and finish the series first then relaunch. Now I feel both are in Jeopardy... and I want follow ups to both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalinferno View Post
Yea I beat hell mode, with the perk, it wasn't really a challenge at all with it.
Yeah agreed, I just finished. Vergil gave me some problems but most the time it was cause I couldnt see what was going on with the camera. Noticed alot of issues and some glitches since I had to watch every move I made.

Last edited by def28; 02-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #478
Havok83
Side-Kick

Thanks for the honest and fair review. You give me hope for when I do get to this game. On Mission 13 of DMC3 right now. Im almost getting to the end, but I think I might play it again with Vergil.

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #479
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah agreed, I just finished. Vergil gave me some problems but most the time it was cause I couldnt see what was going on with the camera. Noticed alot of issues and some glitches since I had to watch every move I made.
I had some problems with the camera against Vergil, too. Even off camera he can attack us. Granted I played on the easiest level just to enjoy the story and learn the controls, but I see where I'll have some problems on higher difficulties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Thanks for the honest and fair review. You give me hope for when I do get to this game. On Mission 13 of DMC3 right now. Im almost getting to the end, but I think I might play it again with Vergil.
My pleasure.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #480
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, alot of times I didnt even know how he hit me. Overall not alot of issues besides that last fight.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #481
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
Sparda, on the other side of the table, is a change that I didn't like. I have no beefs with Eva being an angel and mother of the twins since we knew little about her in the old series, but Sparda was the ultimate badass, before. Everyone wanted his power and wanted to be like him. Now he is a weakling that is suffering in hell. He was a legend before that sacrificed himself to kill all the demons in his way and close the gates of hell, now he is, or at least feels like, a puny devil who can't defend himself. That's a massive downgrade
Mundus is too powerful near the Hell Gate, he probably did something to Sparda to make him vulnerable when he found out
I guess Sparda didn't like to turn all the way against his brother, but that was his biggest error

The thing that disappoints me a bit is not mentioning their relationship out of the scene Vergil talking about their father, Dante didn't call Mundus 'Uncle' in a teasing way

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #482
Kinslayer
New User - Level 0

I feel I need to explain Vergil from my perspective.

Spoilers and yet insight on the character.

"I believe that we can stop them."

Vergil has that drive for power like the original. He goes about his quest for it in another way. He actually follows in the footsteps of Mundus. He is calculating and it's stressed throughout the entire game that Vergil is weaker than Dante. I know alot of people hate that they aren't equal but they also aren't equal in intelligence either. Where Dante would go in guns blazing (making things complicated) Vergil would have a stealthier approach (fluent and without interruptions).

"I learned how to hack."

Vergil is smarter due to his extensive time with the power of the computer and other resources at his disposal. Dante of course is stronger because of the demons knowing about him, forcing him to fight all of his life. He's had time to sharpen his skills in combat whereelse Vergil has kept himself hidden to allude Mundus's forces and not get needlessly tortured like his younger brother had.

"This is madness!"

Pay attention to Vergil, play through the story again if you have to. His true intentions are right there in your face with every line and every action he uses. He couldn't see anything better than the opportunity to force Mundus out of his tower and seize control. So when he disregarded Kat's situation for a shot at pulling Mundus away from the Hellgate, he took it without a second thought. He became an abortionist during the exchange and I believe when he did that, he felt that nothing more was important than killing Mundus. So much was riding on Mundus's death. Revenge for his family, freedom for the people, and power for him and his twin. Everything happened exactly as it should've. Bait and destroy. This calculating Vergil is by far the most honorable of both Vergil's. He knows he has to hit Mundus's heart before anything and he knows what Mundus can do if he finds out about him. Oh this Vergil is the prime definite of a badass. I'd like to think of him as on par with Itachi from Naruto.

"We have to put our lives in each others' hands."

Vergil only cared about Dante. Dante is the only family that is alive, reachable, and can help him get revenge against Mundus. I enjoyed every single moment of brotherly love they shared for it reminded me of my older brother and how he always corrected me when I was wrong. It's like we were in competition and yet are pushing ourselves to the limit to be in the same league. Vergil couldn't understand why Dante had a change of heart at the end of their journey. I believe at that point, Vergil felt that if his little brother has no other goals beyond taking down Mundus, then he certainly wouldn't object to controlling the world and protecting it alongside his brother.

"Stand...aside."

Vergil is my favorite out of the two brothers and seeing that he looks more devilish (Dem bangs) in Vergil's downfall tells me by the end of it, he and Dante will be on par in combat skills. He can no longer hide from the demons and has to man up in order to defeat Dante and take control. Vergil knew he couldn't defeat Dante in a battle arms drawn. But he had not anticipated that Dante would rebel against his own flesh and blood.

Another tiblit of Vergil's prowess is his predictions of each character he encounters. He puts himself in their shoes and researches their behavior. It's only when he blasts Mundus's family that he tells Dante that things are about to get insane. What happens then is that Kat explains how weak Mundus is, just like Vergil's expression exhausts.

"We saved them."

Vergil has shown time and time again that besides Dante, outsiders don't exist. Before Kat, Dante was Vergil at the end of DmC. I'm certain nobody saw it the way that I did near the end.

The Hell are you thinking Dante? They need us to protect them and we're going to have the most power that can be wielded. We have the tools and we have the physical strength to use them. We lived in a mansion for christ's sakes! <--That's what Vergil is thinking right now.

Oh and also. I don't know if anyone else noticed but in the DLC costume pack there's a Dark Dante. I got a feeling i know who the boss for Bloody Palace is going to be.

Kinslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #483
zenith16
Side-Kick

this was just put up.

Capcom Senior VP Gives Insight Into East vs. West Decisions. February 12, 2013 . 4:30pm

Capcom’s Senior VP, Christian Svensson, explains what drives decisions to collaborate with western developers or cater to the western market.

source: Siliconera

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #484
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

I'm fighting that Succubus again, and I can't help but think Dastartdly when I hear her talk, want to hear her say Mutley

Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #485
Havok83
Side-Kick

Well I just beat DMC3 last night. Here are my thoughts:

I now see why people say this was the best of the PS2 games and the followup to DMC1 that 2 should have been. It improved upon the original in every possible way and the best part was that it was REALLY good. Probably one of the best redemption games Ive seen as it seemed to have saved the series after the disastrous sequel

I had issues with the storytelling in 1 and definetly 2, but its so much better here. There were cutscenes before and after every mission and things seemed a lot more cohesive. The story was better told and was actually interesting. I appreciate that all the characters felt very developed and the bosses even showed personality. The relationship between the two brothers was pretty dynamic and made for an interesting tale.

One thing I didn't like though was certain moments where they had Dante saying and doing silly things just to make him seem cool and badass. Like defeating Nevan and he takes that weapon and has a solo rock concert for himself. WTH? He came across a bit immature at times, but I guess they were trying to emphasize his youth as this was a prequel

Gameplay? Amazing. Throwing in numerous playstyles was a great move as it really allowed for you to switch things up. The upgrading is more in line with 1 which is a good thing bc you should be learning more moves and improving your skills with your weapons, which there were plenty of.

Unlike the last two games, I feel compelled to replay this. I want to do it with Vergil, who seems to play differently than Dante and I also want to replay with Dante now that I have the orbs to fully upgrade most of abilities. With the other two, when I was done, I was done.

As far as the environments and world, I liked what they did here. There is some backtracking but its minimal and not to obvious as its spread several missions apart.

Overall, Id say Id give it a 9.5. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it as it holds up really well. Maybe the camera. Good that you can move it, but its still an issue at times.

One complaint, about the overall HD Collection though is that its disappointed that Capcom really didn't fix up the menus. Why are they in their original 4x3 presentation and not widescreen?

On a side note, man Sparda never shows up? Before playing through DMC1, I thought he'd pop up in a future game and it seems like a missed opportunity that he doesn't even for a mission/cutscene

On to DMC4 next....

Last edited by Havok83; 02-13-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #486
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Unlike the last two games, I feel compelled to replay this. I want to do it with Dante, who seems to play differently than Dante and I also want to replay with Dante now that I have the orbs to fully upgrade most of abilities. With the other two, when I was done, I was done.
Play as Vergil

Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #487
Havok83
Side-Kick

that was clearly a typo

Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #488
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Nice review
DMC4 might be disappointing after DMC3

Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #489
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Nice review
DMC4 might be disappointing after DMC3
thanks. That's not too encouraging though....lol. I'll share my thoughts when I get through it. I think I might stick with DMC3 a little longer before I move on though

Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #490
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Gameplay is fun in 4, story just isn't as interesting as in 3.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #491
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

And the backtracking kinda bored me.
I finished DMC4 twice but, due to the backtracking, it seemed to me like I had completed it 4 times.
Quote:
On a side note, man Sparda never shows up? Before playing through DMC1, I thought he'd pop up in a future game and it seems like a missed opportunity that he doesn't even for a mission/cutscene
Remember when Arkham/Jester aquires the power of Sparda and fights the brothers? Just before he becomes that bubble? He shows up in demon form and attacks Dante. That is what Sparda looks like.

There is one alternate costume for Dante which gives us that look when we activate the Devil Trigger, which is unlimited:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 02-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #492
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

I don't mind bracktracking in that game, plays different

Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #493
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

I'll complete the Dante Must Die difficulty today (I'm on mission 17) and I have another positive and negative point.

The negative is: no lock-on. I didn't even remember about this when playing on the easiest difficulty, but in harder settings it is a necessity. There are many more flying demons and, if we don't take care of those, they aim at us and shoot some projectile while we're fighting the ground demons. I hate those flying bastards. Even if they're off-screen, they aren't always so forgiving.
For many times I jumped and tried to grab the flying little brats with the demonic pull but, due to the lack of lock on, Dante grabbed a demon from the floor, even the camera was directed towards the demon I wanted. Then tried it again and another demon from the floor is grabbed. While this is done, the flying demons are aiming at me and ready to shoot. That is infuriating, some times.

Another thing is the female demon with the force field. I want to aim at her to throw the Aquila and destroy the force field but sometimes it'll hit another enemy. When it is an inferno demon or a dreamrunner, which repel our attacks, it's even worse. The lock on in previous games also made it easier to perform the stinger atacks. Here we have to press forward twice to do it...and it isn't as fun to execute because of that.

The positive is: the full use of the control. I use every button there. From the shoulder buttons to the directionals and even the button for the camera. We're pushed to use more combinations of attacks in DMD. I use, for example, the Aquila to trap the angelic dog, then the sickle to cause more damage and take him above the other enemies so I can defeat him in the air. When there are powerhouse demons and demons with shields in bigger numbers, I use the fire gloves to break the shiled faster, then, before executing the final attack of the combo, I switch to the axe and strike the hardest blow to whoever is near. The ability to switch through so many weapons and being pushed to do so makes the combat even more fun.

As for the Dante Must Die difficulty, it is nowhere as hard as DMD in DMC3, which was the most punishing experience I've had in a video game. Not that it is a bad thing. In DMC3, besides being challenging, it was so tiresome. After striking so, so many hits on the enemies because of their damn protection, it just became boring to play through it. It was really time consuming. I forced myself to complete it back then but I'd never do it again. Here, it never becomes dull. Having angelic and demonic demons and specific weapons to deal with them, besides being able to repel the attacks of the bigger enemies leads us to rethink our strategies. It's usually more fun than it is frustrating.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #494
jacobed
Banned User

I agree about no lock on. I think that just became a matter of having no buttons for it

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #495
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I agree about no lock on. I think that just became a matter of having no buttons for it
That's because they gave Dante a separate launch button and two whips.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #496
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Maybe it's needed for the toughest difficulties, but it's absolutely not needed in your standard and hard modes. The camera does a good job of keeping ur enemies in view that it's just not a necessary feature.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #497
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Sometimes the camera moves to the enemy when I need a bit of a breather and not press pause to get it

Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #498
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

It seems Vergil's Downfall is coming on February 28th with roughly 4-6 more hours of gameplay and is a continuation of the story of the game. IGN has a preview:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...rgils-downfall

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Also, look at the comments section. One month ago they were detonating this game. Now most of them are praising it, others admit they changed their minds after playing it and even those who aren't praising it say the game is good. It's great to see people changing their minds.

Last edited by Jick09; 02-15-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #499
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Interesting
I hope it's great

Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #500
eternalinferno
Side-Kick

awesome, finally an official release date, can't wait!

eternalinferno is offline   Reply With Quote