The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #651
Nathan

Default Re: DmC: Devil May Cry - Part 1

No collectibles or anything that could extend the play time?

Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #652
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

You collect cross fragments, lost souls, and can upgrade and purchase moves just like the main campaign. But without a lot of enemy diversity and only one boss fight, I don't feel any desire to play through again to collect what I missed. At least not right now, I may play through it again the next time I decide to play the main game.

SpideyForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #653
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyForPrez View Post
Vergil's Downfall was alright. Only two new enemies and mostly recycled backgrounds made it feel a little lazy, but overall I enjoyed playing as Vergil and like how they progressed the story. I think they claimed it would be 4-6 hours of new game play but I finished it in just over two hours on Nephilim.
Yeah, Im not too impressed so far. Just beat hollow Vergil and don't have much of an urge to keep playing.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #654
Havok83
Side-Kick

Well I just beat DmC and my hats off to Ninja Theory bc that was an AMAZING game. Truly the best game Ive played in a long time and by far their best work to date. Screw the haters that bash this game before/without playing it bc it was REALLY well done and even taking away that its a reboot to an established franchise, it stands up quite well on its own. Dante could have been named Bubba and this been a completely new IP and we'd still have a pretty fantastic title. Its too bad it was automatically written off bc of its origins. Anyways some thoughts:

Graphics are pretty amazing here. Granted I played on PC so its supposed to be better than the consoles. NT games are always rich in color and have very vibrant environments and assets and this is no different. I really all the special effects associated with the combat system, how world just changes on you, cutscenes etc..

This game has the best level design by far of any DmC game. The others dont even compare. I love the shift from limbo to the real world and how the environment literally changes around you and how you can affect it with your abilities. Absolutely no backtracking across missions is a welcomed plus

The missions have a lot more diversity to be found here and aren't simply the same formula of beat X amount of enemies before proceeding while searching around for an item to unlock a door. I loved the platforming sections where you have to swing around while pulling things and gliding. Now that was fun and Id welcome DLC which focused exclusively on providing courses that you can do more of that like in those secret missions. I really felt like Spider-man, especially the mission involving the car chase

The combat is friggin fantastic. Best gameplay out of any of the games. There is SOOOOOO much you can do. I really thought you'd only have the two extra weapons assigned to the shoulder buttons going into this but was pleasantly surprised to see even more show up and they were all very varied and fun to use. The amount of combos you do do is ridiculous and they made it so easy here by being able to switch to anything on the fly. It not only makes things faster, but it feels very intuitive. The only thing lacking was losing the targeting button, but now that I think of it, it was probably to simplify the combat as adding another button may have unnecessarily complicated things.

As far as this thing goes as a reboot, I loved how it was an original story and not merely a rehash of DMC1 with updated graphics. The more modernized take was pretty interesting, especially how it was adapted to a real world scenario setting. I think NT did a good job with the story telling

I loved the new Dante. He was a really well developed character from beginning to end. Early clips really don't capture him bc he's pretty deep. The moment that got to me the most was when Vergil wanted to leave Kat behind and Dante stayed to reassure her and help talk her into surrendering so she wouldn't die. She did exactly as he said but she ended up being shot up anyway. He looked horrified and I was too. I was shocked to see she didn't die. Probably would have made for a bigger impact if she did die, but she was needed for the end. That was the moment you could see he really cared and wasn't merely some punk. The guy was a hero. Im kinda upset at his hair change at the end as I actually prefer the black on him. I think that was mainly done to appease those against this. Id have left the white hair for his devil form.

Speaking of which, I didn't dig devil trigger here. I loved the special effects and how the screen changed, but HATED that it amounted to time slowing and the characters floating up in the air. Most times I couldn't even jump high enough to reach them and the entire thing would go to waste. It also took way to long to build up. I think they could have done more to balance this

Another thing that could have used balancing was the ranking system. I got an S (and SS on some) on most missions without trying. I think they were a bit too liberal with the points and you didn't really feel a sense of accomplishment as they let a lot of things slide.

My favorite part about DMC3 was the relationship between Vergil and Dante. Its featured in this game of course with alterations. At first I went into this expecting 3s take to be the best but by the end of this, I thought DmC was equally as good but in a different way. I loved the banter between the two brothers. I always got a sense that Vergil really did care deeply about him. At the end, I did not like killing Vergil. I wanted Dante to take that sword out and thankfully he did. The relationship between them is fractured but Vergil didn't look pissed at him; more like he was disappointed. I hope he doesn't show up as a villain in future games as I hope there's a chance that they can repair the damage that was done here.

I also LOVE the stat tracking. Its so deep and I wish all games were like this. I also like that finally you can go back and forth with the difficulty after you've started a game instead of being stuck for an entire walkthrough.

Anyways, yeah as you can tell I love this game. I think Id give it a solid 9.0. I just finished playing through all 5 games and I definitely had the most fun with this. I feel so compelled to go back and replay it. Im thinking of tracking down a PS3 copy when its a lot cheaper for the trophies and I don't mind going for the platinum in this bc its so much fun. As dissapointed as I was at the end of DMC4 knowing that there wouldn't be a continuation of Nero's tale and that universe continuing, Im fine now and am excited at the possibility of whats to come in this new one. Hopefully NT do get to make a sequel. I'll have to remember this come December when Game of the Year comes around. Hope it doesn't get forgotten since it came out so early. It wont stand up against the likes of GTA5, but as of now I can see it being a strong contender for best Action game of the year. Its that damn good

Last edited by Havok83; 03-10-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #655
zenith16
Side-Kick

Are you planning to pick up the Vergil's down dlc Havok? Or have you gotten it already?

Last edited by zenith16; 03-10-2013 at 11:26 PM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #656
def28
Side-Kick

Beat Vergils downfall. Thought it was very meh. Don't see how anyone can get 3 hours of gameplay with it unless your replaying it. Character was fun for a bit but he doesn't play anywhere near as good as Dante.

Overall I guess it was a nice add on. But glad I didnt pay for it.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #657
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Well I just beat DmC and my hats off to Ninja Theory bc that was an AMAZING game. Truly the best game Ive played in a long time and by far their best work to date. Screw the haters that bash this game before/without playing it bc it was REALLY well done and even taking away that its a reboot to an established franchise, it stands up quite well on its own. Dante could have been named Bubba and this been a completely new IP and we'd still have a pretty fantastic title. Its too bad it was automatically written off bc of its origins. Anyways some thoughts:

Graphics are pretty amazing here. Granted I played on PC so its supposed to be better than the consoles. NT games are always rich in color and have very vibrant environments and assets and this is no different. I really all the special effects associated with the combat system, how world just changes on you, cutscenes etc..

This game has the best level design by far of any DmC game. The others dont even compare. I love the shift from limbo to the real world and how the environment literally changes around you and how you can affect it with your abilities. Absolutely no backtracking across missions is a welcomed plus

The missions have a lot more diversity to be found here and aren't simply the same formula of beat X amount of enemies before proceeding while searching around for an item to unlock a door. I loved the platforming sections where you have to swing around while pulling things and gliding. Now that was fun and Id welcome DLC which focused exclusively on providing courses that you can do more of that like in those secret missions. I really felt like Spider-man, especially the mission involving the car chase

The combat is friggin fantastic. Best gameplay out of any of the games. There is SOOOOOO much you can do. I really thought you'd only have the two extra weapons assigned to the shoulder buttons going into this but was pleasantly surprised to see even more show up and they were all very varied and fun to use. The amount of combos you do do is ridiculous and they made it so easy here by being able to switch to anything on the fly. It not only makes things faster, but it feels very intuitive. The only thing lacking was losing the targeting button, but now that I think of it, it was probably to simplify the combat as adding another button may have unnecessarily complicated things.

As far as this thing goes as a reboot, I loved how it was an original story and not merely a rehash of DMC1 with updated graphics. The more modernized take was pretty interesting, especially how it was adapted to a real world scenario setting. I think NT did a good job with the story telling

I loved the new Dante. He was a really well developed character from beginning to end. Early clips really don't capture him bc he's pretty deep. The moment that got to me the most was when Vergil wanted to leave Kat behind and Dante stayed to reassure her and help talk her into surrendering so she wouldn't die. She did exactly as he said but she ended up being shot up anyway. He looked horrified and I was too. I was shocked to see she didn't die. Probably would have made for a bigger impact if she did die, but she was needed for the end. That was the moment you could see he really cared and wasn't merely some punk. The guy was a hero. Im kinda upset at his hair change at the end as I actually prefer the black on him. I think that was mainly done to appease those against this. Id have left the white hair for his devil form.

Speaking of which, I didn't dig devil trigger here. I loved the special effects and how the screen changed, but HATED that it amounted to time slowing and the characters floating up in the air. Most times I couldn't even jump high enough to reach them and the entire thing would go to waste. It also took way to long to build up. I think they could have done more to balance this

Another thing that could have used balancing was the ranking system. I got an S (and SS on some) on most missions without trying. I think they were a bit too liberal with the points and you didn't really feel a sense of accomplishment as they let a lot of things slide.

My favorite part about DMC3 was the relationship between Vergil and Dante. Its featured in this game of course with alterations. At first I went into this expecting 3s take to be the best but by the end of this, I thought DmC was equally as good but in a different way. I loved the banter between the two brothers. I always got a sense that Vergil really did care deeply about him. At the end, I did not like killing Vergil. I wanted Dante to take that sword out and thankfully he did. The relationship between them is fractured but Vergil didn't look pissed at him; more like he was disappointed. I hope he doesn't show up as a villain in future games as I hope there's a chance that they can repair the damage that was done here.

I also LOVE the stat tracking. Its so deep and I wish all games were like this. I also like that finally you can go back and forth with the difficulty after you've started a game instead of being stuck for an entire walkthrough.

Anyways, yeah as you can tell I love this game. I think Id give it a solid 9.0. I just finished playing through all 5 games and I definitely had the most fun with this. I feel so compelled to go back and replay it. Im thinking of tracking down a PS3 copy when its a lot cheaper for the trophies and I don't mind going for the platinum in this bc its so much fun. As dissapointed as I was at the end of DMC4 knowing that there wouldn't be a continuation of Nero's tale and that universe continuing, Im fine now and am excited at the possibility of whats to come in this new one. Hopefully NT do get to make a sequel. I'll have to remember this come December when Game of the Year comes around. Hope it doesn't get forgotten since it came out so early. It wont stand up against the likes of GTA5, but as of now I can see it being a strong contender for best Action game of the year. Its that damn good
I'm glad you liked it as much. I think you'll enjoy it even more when you play through Son of Sparda or Dante Must Die. That is when I was pushed to be more inventive and to use every combination of attack on specific situations. It's when I had the most fun with the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Beat Vergils downfall. Thought it was very meh. Don't see how anyone can get 3 hours of gameplay with it unless your replaying it. Character was fun for a bit but he doesn't play anywhere near as good as Dante.

Overall I guess it was a nice add on. But glad I didnt pay for it.
Aw, that's too bad. I still didn't get it since I'm busy with MGRising, but I plan on playing it before I get Tomb Raider.

Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #658
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Edit

Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #659
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
Are you planning to pick up the Vergil's down dlc Havok? Or have you gotten it already?
Yep! Its next up. I didn't realize it was an epilogue and assumed it was events during the game, but from Vergil's PoV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
I'm glad you liked it as much. I think you'll enjoy it even more when you play through Son of Sparda or Dante Must Die. That is when I was pushed to be more inventive and to use every combination of attack on specific situations. It's when I had the most fun with the game.
Thanks. I plan on doing so bc Normal and Hard weren't much of a challenge.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #660
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

If you like the combat, this guy put up an awesome SSS run that might interest you.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #661
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
I hope he doesn't show up as a villain in future games as I hope there's a chance that they can repair the damage that was done here.
Definitely with you on this one
I hope Downfall isn't damaging to Virgil

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #662
zenith16
Side-Kick

here's something new on this finally

Metal Gear Rising, DMC plunge into Games on Demand

(17 minutes ago) 3

If you can spare the gigglebits on your Xbox 360, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and DMC: Devil May Cry are both available through Games on Demand on Xbox Live for $50 right now. Each will consume 7.34 GB and 6.57 GB, respectively.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the slice-em-up starring series cyborg Raiden that Platinum Games took over from full-time from Kojima Productions in 2011. DMC: Devil May Cry is Ninja Theory's reboot issued earlier this year, which re-imagines Capcom's world replete with a new Dante.
Source: Xbox Marketplace (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Xbox Marketplace (DmC Devil May Cry)

MayBe sale will pick up for it with this. Maybe, we'll have to see. Ninja Theory has already moved on to another project

Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #663
KingMadness
Side-Kick

DmC failed. Nice. Glad it flopped like a little *****. That'll teach em.

KingMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #664
Nathan

Capcom already came out and said how they'd develop more in-house and not outsource anymore. Or at least not as much. I'm sure that's them saying "Yep, we ****ed up.".

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #665
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
DmC failed. Nice. Glad it flopped like a little *****. That'll teach em.
A Devil May Cry 5 would have flopped just as bad and if 4 is any indication of quality it would have been a much worse game

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #666
Nathan

Only problem with that is that DMC4 got good scores, reviews praised the gameplay, and the game sold pretty well. The only problem with DMC4 was, that the story could have been better.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #667
Havok83
Side-Kick

DmC got slightly better scores than Devil May Cry 4. It got praise and positive response. Its just too bad that the negative were just really loud and vocal, but lets not act like the game was panned by the critics, bc on average it wasn't.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #668
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
DmC got slightly better scores than Devil May Cry 4. It got praise and positive response. Its just too bad that the negative were just really loud and vocal, but lets not act like the game was panned by the critics, bc on average it wasn't.
That's correct. Not every reviewer of games loved it

Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #669
Nathan

Not saying the game was terrible, even if I personally don't care for it. But a reboot was simply unnecessary, when the last game was anything but terrible, and the biggest negative was that the story was starting to get stale.

How can someone look at a game with 4-5 Million sales and good scores, and say "Ok, let's reboot that ****." And we can't blame the game's failing on loud fanboys, when Capcom and Ninja Theory were targeting everyone but the fans.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #670
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
And we can't blame the game's failing on loud fanboys, when Capcom and Ninja Theory were targeting everyone but the fans.
No, that's the only people to blame. It was a well developed title from top to bottom. Visuals, gameplay, story, voice acting, all well done. It didn't sell because the hardcore fans were just too childish and stubborn to give it a shot. I fully admit I was one of em at the start of the games development. I decided to actually be open minded though and gave the title a shot. Glad I did too. Really enjoyed the game. If more hardcore fans would of taken my approach this game woulda been fine.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #671
Nathan

I like how at first everyone was like "Pfff... fanboys whining about this are nothing but a vocal minority." Now that the game hasn't even managed to break 1 Millions sales it's "The fans are to blame. Nothing but entitled whiners."

Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #672
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not saying the game was terrible, even if I personally don't care for it. But a reboot was simply unnecessary, when the last game was anything but terrible, and the biggest negative was that the story was starting to get stale.

How can someone look at a game with 4-5 Million sales and good scores, and say "Ok, let's reboot that ****." And we can't blame the game's failing on loud fanboys, when Capcom and Ninja Theory were targeting everyone but the fans.
its possible a good chunk of those sales were bc DMC3 was so good and people were expecting DMC4 to be equally as amazing, which it unfortunately was not.

Quote:
I like how at first everyone was like "Pfff... fanboys whining about this are nothing but a vocal minority." Now that the game hasn't even managed to break 1 Millions sales it's "The fans are to blame. Nothing but entitled whiners."
People don't seem to be as into hack and slashes these days. DmC, GoW:A and MGR all came out within a few months of each other and all did disappointing sales in comparison to predecessors in their respective franchises

Last edited by Havok83; 05-29-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #673
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
its possible a good chunk of those sales were bc DMC3 was so good and people were expecting DMC4 to be equally as amazing, which it unfortunately was not.
I think it was the Raiden effect there with DMC4 and the fact that when you finally did something with Dante it was back tracking the demons that Nero defeated but didn't get to kill that turned people off it. kinda like with dragon age 3 and the fact dungeon's looking the same, people just really didn't want to back track.

Last edited by zenith16; 05-29-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #674
Nathan

Quote:
Even if that's the case, the game was still a lot of fun to play. I even enjoyed Nero's addition. Though that was mostly because of the way he played and I thought it was weird to basically just replace Dante, with an angrier Dante. And the story really didn't answer anything and only raised more questions. Other than that, it wasn't like we had another DMC2 on our hands. That wasn't even remotely the case. The only thing needed was a fresh story. Not press the reset button on literally everything.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #675
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even if that's the case, the game was still a lot of fun to play. I even enjoyed Nero's addition. Though that was mostly because of the way he played and I thought it was weird to basically just replace Dante, with an angrier Dante. And the story really didn't answer anything and only raised more questions. Other than that, it wasn't like we had another DMC2 on our hands. That wasn't even remotely the case. The only thing needed was a fresh story. Not press the reset button on literally everything.
I don't completely disagree bc after playing DMC4, I didn't think it needed to be rebooted as the series wasn't beaten into the ground and there were a lot of unanswered questions. With that said, I appreciate that it was and that DmC exists bc it really is a great game and IMO, much better than 4 was.