The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
Dr. Evil
Gamora
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 38,436
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Well, it did fall on a Sunday technically.
Of course, but it interfered with the football games.

__________________
My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Of course, but it interfered with the football games.
That, and being that it's a Government event, it'll happen Mon-Fri.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #28
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Of course, but it interfered with the football games.
Had nothing to do with football, by law it cannot be held on a Sunday.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #29
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,258
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Frankly I think the main reason they made a big to-do out of this one also is because, and I'm just being honest, after Obama I doubt we're gonna have a black prez for a long time. Way too much stupid **** going on during his time.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Actually, this is a much scaled down Inauguration compared to past ones....

I just read the transcript of his speech....

I liked this first paragraph, and hope that he truly believes what he said in the second paragraph and follows this himself.

Quote:
That is our generation’s task – to make these words, these rights, these values – of Life, and Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness – real for every American. Being true to our founding documents does not require us to agree on every contour of life; it does not mean we will all define liberty in exactly the same way, or follow the same precise path to happiness. Progress does not compel us to settle centuries-long debates about the role of government for all time – but it does require us to act in our time.

For now decisions are upon us, and we cannot afford delay. We cannot mistake absolutism for principle, or substitute spectacle for politics, or treat name-calling as reasoned debate. We must act, knowing that our work will be imperfect. We must act, knowing that today’s victories will be only partial, and that it will be up to those who stand here in four years, and forty years, and four hundred years hence to advance the timeless spirit once conferred to us in a spare Philadelphia hall.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #31
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Frankly I think the main reason they made a big to-do out of this one also is because, and I'm just being honest, after Obama I doubt we're gonna have a black prez for a long time. Way too much stupid **** going on during his time.
Just depends on who runs. There seems to be a shortage of young, up and coming black politicians right now. I can't think of any besides Deval Patrick that might make a successful run at the Presidency (frankly I think he'd be too boring to make much of a splash).

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 13,703
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Lupe Fiasco pulled from the stage after spouting off Anti-Obama rhetoric during an inauguration event.

https://rt.com/usa/news/rapper-us-obama-fiasco-409/

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,7560111.story

What a Fiasco.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On my planet, the S stands for Sears.
redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #33
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Lupe Fiasco pulled from the stage after spouting off Anti-Obama rhetoric during an inauguration event.

https://rt.com/usa/news/rapper-us-obama-fiasco-409/

What a Fiasco.
I've heard a lot of very conservative, white friends of mine talk about this 'fiasco' as an attempt to show how Obama is a free-speech-hating-tyrant. He is fairly anti-Obama, but I don't think he supports either party, or any party. I seriously wonder if any of them have ever listened to his music.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #34
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Just depends on who runs. There seems to be a shortage of young, up and coming black politicians right now. I can't think of any besides Deval Patrick that might make a successful run at the Presidency.
I think the next candidate, including the Republican candidate...has to either be vetted beyond all things like a Hillary Clinton, or unvetted and comes in pretty much a total unknown all the way to the election like an Obama because a status quo candidate like Romney will never make ever again.

For many voters, like myself, I think the first choice will be the more viable choice. I do not want a virtual unknown, with no experience EVER AGAIN.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
Dr. Evil
Gamora
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 38,436
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Frankly I think the main reason they made a big to-do out of this one also is because, and I'm just being honest, after Obama I doubt we're gonna have a black prez for a long time. Way too much stupid **** going on during his time.
Still though he made history, and because of that he will always be looked at fondly by a majority of African Americans. This is a great day for someone like US Congressman John Lewis, one of the original Freedom Riders. Plus he will always be referenced whenever a country with a White Majority elects a Black man to their highest office.

I think we'll see a second Black President before we ever see a Black VP.

Granted, Obama is not on the same level as Dr. King or Nelson Mandela, but he himself has made history.

__________________
My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #36
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I think the next candidate, including the Republican candidate...has to either be vetted beyond all things like a Hillary Clinton, or unvetted and comes in pretty much a total unknown all the way to the election like an Obama because a status quo candidate like Romney will never make ever again.

For many voters, like myself, I think the first choice will be the more viable choice. I do not want a virtual unknown, with no experience EVER AGAIN.
Romney was never going to make it, and frankly besides the forgone age of before television, he would never have be President. He's too rigid, not relate-able and kind of a prick, something I've heard Thomas Jefferson and Quincy Adams were, but since television natural charisma and likeability factor are much larger components of candidate selection.

Sometimes the rigid or unelectable candidates make good VPs because voters like the idea of having someone who seems stable and almost dorky in that role. Like the proverbial Watson to the President's Sherlock Holmes.

If Clinton runs, I likely suspect she'd be the nominee. If Christie runs, I suspect he could be the Republican nominee. I am a Democrat, so I'd probably vote for Clinton if she runs, but I like Chris Christie, especially because he's kind of an a** to the right people (*cough* Congress) and I think he'd make them feel like they'd get their clock cleaned if they crossed him. I suspect he'd make a solid President, emphasis on solid.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #37
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Romney was never going to make it, and frankly besides the forgone age of before television, he would never have be President. He's too rigid, not relate-able and kind of a prick, something I've heard Thomas Jefferson and Quincy Adams were, but since television natural charisma and likeability factor are much larger components of candidate selection.

Sometimes the rigid or unelectable candidates make good VPs because voters like the idea of having someone who seems stable and almost dorky in that role. Like the proverbial Watson to the President's Sherlock Holmes.

If Clinton runs, I likely suspect she'd be the nominee. If Christie runs, I suspect he could be the Republican nominee. I am a Democrat, so I'd probably vote for Clinton if she runs, but I like Chris Christie, especially because he's kind of an a** to the right people (*cough* Congress) and I think he'd make them feel like they'd get their clock cleaned if they crossed him. I suspect he'd make a solid President, emphasis on solid.
I would vote for Clinton in a Clinton/Christie race, even though I actually really like Christie a lot. I hope that he looses at least some weight. I don't mind if he is overweight, but he has to loose some...

I wanted Clinton in 2008, and I haven't changed my mind, if anything she has locked that in my mind with her time as Secretary of State.

To be honest though, over the last few weeks, and if it continues in this manner.....it almost looks like this administration is getting Biden ready for a run at it. The amount of responsibility that he has been given in the last 3 weeks eclipses the entire first 4 years.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #38
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,258
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

You don't want him to be another Taft, where tacked on pork is literally pork.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #39
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
You don't want him to be another Taft, where tacked on pork is literally pork.
LOL, exactly....

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,913
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Biden wouldn't get elected, IMO

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #41
Dr. Evil
Gamora
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 38,436
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

This is assuming Clinton wants another shot. If she says no, the Democratic field is wide open.

Of course, she would end up making history herself.

__________________
My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #42
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
You don't want him to be another Taft, where tacked on pork is literally pork.
If Taft is any forewarning about what to expect then Christie will get stuck in the bathtub in the Lincoln bedroom. It's not designed with fatties in mind. Our SS used to have to help Taft out of tubs from time to time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I would vote for Clinton in a Clinton/Christie race, even though I actually really like Christie a lot. I hope that he looses at least some weight. I don't mind if he is overweight, but he has to loose some...

I wanted Clinton in 2008, and I haven't changed my mind, if anything she has locked that in my mind with her time as Secretary of State.

To be honest though, over the last few weeks, and if it continues in this manner.....it almost looks like this administration is getting Biden ready for a run at it. The amount of responsibility that he has been given in the last 3 weeks eclipses the entire first 4 years.
I worked for Clinton and my cousin currently works for her in the State Department. So if it were Clinton/Christie I'd vote Clinton. I'm hoping it'll be one or the other.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #43
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,219
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Biden wouldn't get elected, IMO
I'm not sure he would even get the nomination. I'm just amazed at the work he has been given of late, especially compared to his "non existence" in the first term. Of course, it is kind of fun to point out that it was a REPUBLICAN that asked for him to be a part of the "fiscal cliff" talks. ha...

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,913
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Our SS used to have to help Taft out of tubs from time to time.
What a fun job that must have been

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #45
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,038
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

I thought it was a restrained and lovely service. I agree with his speech, but know all those who say they hope to give him a chance are likely just as cynical as they were a few months ago. But I do think watching how Obama handled the GOP over the "fiscal cliff" issue in the last few months gives me hope that he has learned greatly from his first term and can accomplish more for the American people by circumventing the political game he got mired in for his first 2.5 years in office. Here is to hoping.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
What a fun job that must have been
Yeah, I imagine that's not what they expected when they signed up to be Secret Service.

One minute you're bragging to your friends, the next your helping a morbidly obese naked dude out of a 19th century bathtub.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #47
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,258
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Yeah I think Obama is more genre savvy now then he was first term. He knows how people are now, for lack of a better term. This is the sequel so we may be getting a darker and edgier version.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #48
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,671
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Uh-Oh, Bill sees something he likes.


Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #49
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,607
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration


__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #50
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,559
Default Re: The 2013 Presidential Inauguration

Boy this thing just... keeps going.

Must have been quick the first time. Only 13 states, and 4 million people.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.