The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #51
Spider‑Man
Banned User

Default Re: What can be learned from the previous Fantastic Four movies?

No foam rubber Thing suit!

Spider‑Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #52
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Ya know, I thought the newest set of cartoons did a good job writing for Reed.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #53
Spider - Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‑Man View Post
Oh yeah.

Spider - Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #54
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‑Man View Post
Suit looked pretty good in FF2...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #55
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

As long as it doesn't look like rubber, I'm fine with them using a rubber suit for The Thing.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #56
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Some amount of suit is inevitable given the probable budget. Its just a matter of using the right mix of practical and CGI.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #57
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Some amount of suit is inevitable given the probable budget. Its just a matter of using the right mix of practical and CGI.
I agree...but I think the great majority should be CGI....along the similar lines of Hulk.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #58
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

The practical vs. cgi argument for the Thing comes down to budget and design.

IF they have/are willing to spend the money, then a cgi Thing can look great.

IF they don't, it will look like a crappy cartoon and wreck the movie much quicker than any rubber suit ever would [look at those horrible cartoon vampires in the otherwise decent I AM LEGEND].

So if Fox will spend AVENGERS money [$220 million] we might get a few scenes with a nice digital Thing. If they continue to be cheap like with the other two, I hate to think what we'll get. Now if they want to spend AVATAR money [$400 million] we can have a digital Thing in the entire movie.

I wonder which way they'll go...?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #59
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The digital Thing[s] looked fine in the first Fox FF movie, so I am sure they will look fine in this new one...

Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #60
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Make the event that created the FF a central point of contention among them. There should be anger in Ben and guilt in Reed and such. Lots of good character stuff before approaching the big boom bash pow stuff.

Also Id love for the film to serve as a love letter to Kirby. Stick to his designs big time. Especially with the machinery/technology/cosmic stuff.

Also have the villain be Mole Man. Save Doom for the sequel. Have Mole Man act as a secondary threat. The FF's inner "family" issues should be their first problem. They should learn to work as a team by the end, preparing them to face a bigger foe in the sequel.

Just ideas...

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #61
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuzz View Post
Make the event that created the FF a central point of contention among them. There should be anger in Ben and guilt in Reed and such. Lots of good character stuff before approaching the big boom bash pow stuff.

Also Id love for the film to serve as a love letter to Kirby. Stick to his designs big time. Especially with the machinery/technology/cosmic stuff.

Also have the villain be Mole Man. Save Doom for the sequel. Have Mole Man act as a secondary threat. The FF's inner "family" issues should be their first problem. They should learn to work as a team by the end, preparing them to face a bigger foe in the sequel.

Just ideas...
Not saying these are bad ideas - just familiar ones - as that's pretty much what the first film did - - - already...

I agree with you 100 percent about the Kirby art direction - but they need to get some one who understands Kirby's art. I know the art department on the first FF movie was full of Kirby art but I am hard pressed to find anything Kirby-esque in that movie...

Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #62
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Not saying these are bad ideas - just familiar ones - as that's pretty much what the first film did - - - already...

I agree with you 100 percent about the Kirby art direction - but they need to get some one who understands Kirby's art. I know the art department on the first FF movie was full of Kirby art but I am hard pressed to find anything Kirby-esque in that movie...
I never saw the first one. Avoided it like the plague.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #63
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

There was something that was bothering me about all the "gotta change the cast" etc. Because even though I have stated the problems I saw with the cast in the last 2 movies....that reason pales against the other problems I saw with the movies.

And then it hit me, the problem I had with the cast is that none of them stood up for their character and how that character should be portrayed on screen. They actually knew their characters fairly well, at least the 4 did....and I was pleasantly surprised by that....but they were ALL "yes men/woman" and didn't stand up for the characters that I think they all new pretty well. So my hope is that the new cast will be stronger behind the scenes as well as in front of the camera, and stick up for who they know to be the character they are portraying.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Start with Sue and Reed married
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Do not hire a director that has only directed comedies or hire a writer that the last thing they wrote was a "parody of a comic book hero"....

Neither worked out well....
What writer did that? And what was his work?

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #65
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Start with Sue and Reed married
What writer did that? And what was his work?
Don Payne wrote FF/SILVER SURFER and also wrote MY SUPER EX-GIRL FRIEND - but he also wrote THOR, so that more than makes up for any past offenses...

Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #66
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Don Payne wrote FF/SILVER SURFER and also wrote MY SUPER EX-GIRL FRIEND - but he also wrote THOR, so that more than makes up for any past offenses...
Well, then I guess we gotta blame it on Frost once again....

Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #67
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jplaya2023 View Post
hopefully they learned not to make this pg rated, but pg13 to rated r with more violence, gore, mature subject lines, sex etc...

i want better more violent fights, mature themes, etc...
Dang, what kind of F4 comics have you been reading?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #68
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalfire View Post
Dang, what kind of F4 comics have you been reading?
Lol

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #69
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

It's gotta be Lee/Kirby all the way. Stop with the "artistic re-invisioning" garbage. When they get a director who's created characters that have been loved for 50 years, let 'em go to town. Until then stick to formula.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #70
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Don't make Galactus a cloud and don't try to wrap his coming to Earth in movie he's far too big for that.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #71
Synekal
Side-Kick

Never sell your comic book's movie rights to a big studio, especially FOX! Unfortunately alot of the problems in the 2 movies were direct results of the executives, not the director. Remember good people, these movies are corporate products made by the marketing departments, not the directors. There is a short list of directors in Hollywood who get to have it their way and even they have to "play ball" sometimes. It really is a sad situation.

Synekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #72
Sun_Down
Groovy

I think it's a pretty simple matter of having better talent and not treating the audience like they're idiots. It's really a shame that Gruffudd, Evans, and Chiklis were wasted on such a bad series, because I thought they were actually well cast. Fox fell into the "we can put out anything and they'll see it" mentality, and they paid for it.

IMO, the most important thing is to nail the family dynamic. More Little Miss Sunshine and less Are We There Yet. More Modern Family and less Rules of Engagement. And so on. They need to make the audience care about what happens to these people. That starts with the characters being likable. I didn't find anyone in the original movies all that likable.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #73
Crimz
Side-Kick

They need a better story.
A better villain.
More chemistry in the cast.
and
A strong Sue, she needs to be the most powerful of the F4 not the one who always needs saving. If they manage to do this then they could even do a movie based on Malice.

Crimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #74
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

1. Do not make the conflict between Reed and Doom about a half assed love triangle between the two of them and Sue. Their's is a conflict, to Doom any way, to decide who is the man with the greatest intellect on the planet. It is not about who gets the hot chick. Any way Sue would never have the hots for a jerk like Doom. 2. Johnny is a young person, and in some ways his childishness and hotheadedness, pun intended, can be excused. No offense to Evans, but he looked to old and they gave this version of Johnny a job (astronaut) with too much on the line to buy a guy so immature as having. Johnny as a youngster between 17 and 21 as an immature hot head? I buy it. Johnny as a grown up astronaut who is still an immature hot head? I fear for manned space flight if he can pass the psych screening. 3. As heroes with public ID's really strive to make them media darlings. Sorry, but awkward speeches in front of cameras and a couple of faux news reports just don't cut it. 4. Ben's story is the one that should have the most screentime after the Reed/Doom conflict. In a way, Sue is the supporting character of the Doom/Reed story, as this is the man she loves and admires going up against whom he could be bested by, and Johnny is the supporting character of Ben's story. He's young and not quite as introspective and self aware as he should be, so he razzes Ben and intentionally harasses him because he does care about the big lug, but he doesn't know how to express that in an adult way. Wich brings me to 5. The only thing they got even partially right in the Story FF's. Casting a Johnny and Ben that can be charismatic on screen together. Evans was portrayed as to old to be such a prankster punk type, but he and Chiklis did the classic Johnny and Ben relationship justice. After that, the obvious is treat the characters with some dignity and don't make Galactus a cloud and we are a 1/4 to a true FF for the ages.

KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #75
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Its been said but make Galactus an actual giant humanoid character helmet and all! Also I didn't really care for the portrayal of the Silver Surfer in FF:Rise of the Silver Surfer. He never displayed the Power Cosmic the way I wish he had. Also hated the idea of having a dub of someone else's voice especially since I didn't think Fishburne sounded anything like what I imagined Surfer sounding like. I think having Mole Man being the villain in the first movie would be cool with Pacific Rim and Godzilla coming out they could really capitalize on the monsters.

Norrin Parker is offline   Reply With Quote