A little. Fan Pressure 7 20.59%
Some. X-Men are never leaving,but maybe a co-production. 10 29.41%
A lot. Fox might want to wash their hands 1 2.94%
More than a lot. Fox hack is next 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
justanotherguy
Side-Kick

Default How important is the Sony-Marvel meeting to the Fox IPs?

I think it's something that is very important to keep an eye on. It very well may put pressure on the rest of the non Marvel Studio-IPs.

Share your thoughts.

justanotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Default Re: How important is the Sony-Marvel meeting to the Fox IPs?

I don't think Fox would care about fan pressure per say, but if both sides see a great advantage from a financial standpoint, along with strong public/fan perception/reception, that combo can make people at least think of coming to the table together...good business is good business.

Iron Man=A+, The Incredible Hulk=C, Iron Man 2=B-, Thor=B, Captain America:The First Avenger=B, The Avengers=A, Iron Man 3=C+, Thor:The Dark World=B-, Captain America:The Winter Soldier=A, Guardians of the Galaxy=A-, Avengers:Age of Ultron=B+, Ant-Man=B+, Captain America:Civil War=?, Dr. Strange=?, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2=?, Spider-Man=?, Thor:Ragnarok=?, Avengers:Infinity Wars Part 1=?, Black Panther=?, Captain Marvel=?, Avengers:Infinity Wars Part 2=?, Inhumans=?
Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I think there are a lot of different facets to it, but the big picture is pretty much a wash. On one hand, if Marvel gets Spider-man, FF and X-Men will be next on their list. But on the other hand, if they get Spider-man, they'll have enough high-profile characters that they won't really need FF or X-Men as much as they would otherwise.

From Fox's point of view, they'll need to compete with a stronger Marvel, but with Sony out of the picture, they'll have fewer fronts to worry about.

From my personal point of view I'm a bit heartened by the idea that Fox and Sony are talking for the simple reason it shows that Marvel isn't giving up on getting all their properties back. As long as they have continued interest in getting their properties back and are willing to work to get that done, there's hope.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Zarex
Side-Kick

I answered some. I don't think Spidey joining the MCU will have an immediate impact on FOX's plans. But the richer the MCU becomes, the less "Marvelish" the FOX films appear to be. If Marvel adds Spidey and the FF this year due to the Trank-castrophe, the X Men will really appear to be on an island. I don't think that film franchise could survive.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Dasher10
I'm like Deadpool IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I answered some. I don't think Spidey joining the MCU will have an immediate impact on FOX's plans. But the richer the MCU becomes, the less "Marvelish" the FOX films appear to be. If Marvel adds Spidey and the FF this year due to the Trank-castrophe, the X Men will really appear to be on an island. I don't think that film franchise could survive.
I feel like Fox will become more defensive if that happens. Depending on how FF plays with Audiences, I can see one of two scenarios. Either Marvel will play ball with Fox now that they have one less competitor since Fox will have proved that their productions can stand on their own or we'll see Fox sell back the FF once the film bombs and the new X-Men timeline from the prequels added to the MCU. I really can't see Fantastic Four's failure causing the X-Men rights to revert.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

A little. Fans will probably get uppity, which if it catches fire could cause some damage to the BO of Fox's superhero films. I don't see it having any more of an impact that that. But it will be a bit more impact than nothing at all.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I feel like there are already two threads about this topic.

"Johnny Storm's a good-hearted kid, sure, but he has the attention span of a toaster, and he leads with his face; in Johnny's undisciplined mind, there's only a single synapse between thinking and doing. The Avengers' battle cry is "Avengers Assemble"; the Fantastic Four's is "Johnny, WAIT!"----Mark Waid
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Spiderine
Sho nuff

FF is already dead as a property especially if they unleash this film.Where can Fox possibly go with them if this movie underperforms? I mean seriously.......Fox has very little respect for this property. They had a great Xmen film that was critically successful and it still couldn't beat an Xmen film released 8 years ago in the domestic box office.

I feel like Apocalypse could be an awesome movie and maybe the best yet but still have mediocre domestic numbers. No doubt the budget should be bigger than DOFP.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
See Cap Run
Side-Kick

It's definitely going to have some effect, I'm just not sure of exactly how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
They had a great Xmen film that was critically successful and it still couldn't beat an Xmen film released 8 years ago in the domestic box office.
That's a good point! In fact, DOFP had even less domestic attendance than the first X-Men film from 14 years ago which is strange considering DOFP is held in even higher esteem by most fans as well as the GA than the first X-Men film.

Last edited by See Cap Run; 12-25-2014 at 11:02 PM.
See Cap Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
starscream22
Revert back2Marvel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
FF is already dead as a property especially if they unleash this film.Where can Fox possibly go with them if this movie underperforms? I mean seriously.......Fox has very little respect for this property. They had a great Xmen film that was critically successful and it still couldn't beat an Xmen film released 8 years ago in the domestic box office.
I've been saying this forever...but Fox fans will take any win they can get and blow it out of proportions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by See Cap Run View Post

That's a good point! In fact, DOFP had even less domestic attendance than the first X-Men film from 14 years ago which is strange considering DOFP is held in even higher esteem by most fans as well as the GA than the first X-Men film.
Just chalk that up as Fox-men succeeding but not really making any new fans. B@sturdizing Apocalypse and Deadpool could put them right back where they were post Last Stand and Origins.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
Nokio
Side-Kick

I don't think it'll have much impact. Maybe, maybe Fox will make a deal if F4 tanks but it's all speculation and I don't think F4 is gonna tank. If the rumored budget is as low as I've heard this film will make it's budget back and a profit for Fox.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

Fox will continue to do their own thing.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #13
Angryfantasyfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Fox will continue to do their own thing.
I'm not so sure of that.

Quote:
"I have a lot of ideas on how to built those brands and do what everybody is thinking of these days: Be like Marvel," Kinberg tells The Hollywood Reporter.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...r-simon-663057

That statement was before an unknown property outgrossed their mega event movie.

Angryfantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

They have been making and releasing superhero films ever since Marvel released their 1st film. Of course they would consider what their competition is doing (like as if they haven't) but if Spidey goes back to Marvel Studios next year, Fox isn't gonna panic and completely change their plans.

As of the moment, they have a Fantastic Four film coming out next year, Deadpool/X-Men: Apocalypse in 2016, then Wolverine 3/Fantastic four 2 in 2017 and an untitled Marvel film in 2018.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
starscream22
Revert back2Marvel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryfantasyfan View Post
I'm not so sure of that.

That statement was before an unknown property outgrossed their mega event movie.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Eddie
Side-Kick

Fox has never panicked and completely changed their plans before. Oh, hey there X-Men Origins: Magneto! Have you met Days of Future Past Juggernau... wait, where'd he go? Crap, he's Quicksilver now.

Pretty sure that Bleeding Cool report that Fox panicked and tried to get a replacement director at the last minute for FF is also very likely. It makes more and more sense with everything going on (they also had some legit Fantastic Four scoops at the time, like calling the comic cancellation before anyone else).

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #17
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

changing juggernaut to quicksilver wasnt because of Marvel's plan despite what people might think about it. you made it sound like every move Fox has made is solely based on what Marvel is doing and thats just not the case.

more likely if Marvel gets Spidey. Fox would be more hesitate to cooperate with Marvel. They wouldnt hand their competition more characters to adapt.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-27-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #18
Eddie
Side-Kick

Changing Juggernaut to Quicksilver when their Juggernaut actor had already been training for weeks probably had something to do with Joss Whedon using the character. Just like Marvel retconning the Daddy Magneto retcon probably has something to do with Fox using the character.

Anyway, I think a potential Sony deal could help get Fantastic Four into the MCU if next year's film fails. If Fox sees that a co-production can work they might be interested in working something out themselves (and, like with Spidey, that will mean new cast, new creative talent, and Feige on board). The X-franchise doesn't really mesh with the MCU (thanks, Quicksilver!), but it's entirely possible Fox could work something out with an MCU reboot in a few years there if co-productions are proven to work. Let's look at it this way: In a few years, nearly every major current X-film actor is probably done. Jackman's probably done with Wolverine 3. McAvoy and Fassbender may be done after Apocalypse, Jennifer Lawrence is very likely to be done with Apocalypse (Fox was, frankly, lucky to sign her just before she exploded in popularity), and most of the original cast is aging out of viability in a hurry. The "First Class Trilogy" will be concluded and Jackman could get his farewell film with Wolverine 3. Why not let the Foxverse conclude there and start up with new stories in the MCU? Heck, there are so many alternate futures and parallel realities in the X-Men comics that the current X-Verse could still be "canon", just in an Age of Apocalypse sort of way. They're going to have to recast and do stories in a modern setting in a few years anyway. Why not work with Feige and crew to tell those stories? They could even pull in "All-New X-Men" and bring the new Cyclops and crew from Apocalypse into the modern MCU (again, alternate reality could easily explain the differences between worlds).

There. X-Men fans could have their cake and eat it too. All of those Foxverse films can exist in their own canonical alternate universe/timeline continuity while the new ones with the new cast (that's almost certain to happen in a few short years anyway) move to the MCU.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #19
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Fox trying to compete with the MCU over the long haul is not a game they can win. Therefore, they aren't really competitors, more an annoyance.

I love the Singer X-films, but Fox can't really afford to make mistakes going forward because they don't have the diversity or franchise potential of the MCU.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #20
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

As far as I know X-Men is one of Fox's biggest film franchise. So it doesnt matter if they arent as big as MCU. They dont need to be as big as mCu just to justify their success.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:06 AM   #21
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Fox trying to compete with the MCU over the long haul is not a game they can win. Therefore, they aren't really competitors, more an annoyance.

I love the Singer X-films, but Fox can't really afford to make mistakes going forward because they don't have the diversity or franchise potential of the MCU.
They could compete and even parallel the MCU and have the diversity and franchise with the X-Verse. Its just that Singer and co are too short sighted in their vision to see the goldmine of mutants and stories right from the books to make a exciting X-Verse that Marvel would get behind even if not apart of the MCU.. Just like Sony feel now they need Feige/Marvel to steer in the right direction. They had Mark Millar but I guess they chose not to listen and go another direction as he had no voice with X-Men with Singer and FF reboot went from Kirby style to Kapoot..

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryfantasyfan View Post
I'm not so sure of that.

That's the thing: DOFP was FoX-Men's Avengers. It reunited past and present stars from the Xmen movies and still got out grossed by a talking tree and raccoon. I'm not sure X-men can become any bigger than it already is. Using Apocalypse helps but man, other than movies and comic books, they are not getting any kind of push at all. While Marvel is getting a push through movies, comic books, a tv show tied into it, and cartoons as well as tons of merchandise. I think what Disney is doing is slowly choking Fox out with their properties. The original F4 movies were a lot more close to the material and it made nowhere near the money it should have and it didn't have the bad press and WOM that the new film has so it's almost DOA. I think if Spidey ends up crossing over into the MCU and it boosts Spidey's earnings, Fox will look like idiots(to late I know)and may have to reevaluate their comic book movie plans.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #23
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
They could compete and even parallel the MCU and have the diversity and franchise with the X-Verse. Its just that Singer and co are too short sighted in their vision to see the goldmine of mutants and stories right from the books to make a exciting X-Verse that Marvel would get behind even if not apart of the MCU.. Just like Sony feel now they need Feige/Marvel to steer in the right direction. They had Mark Millar but I guess they chose not to listen and go another direction as he had no voice with X-Men with Singer and FF reboot went from Kirby style to Kapoot..
Agreed. Make that Deadpool movie, you already have Wolverine, I say give Storm a solo film, and then maybe have a Starjammers movie and try to go cosmic. They have absolutely no plans at all when it comes to their films. I think the only reason they are going Apocalypse is to answer for Thanos.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
I agree somewhat, but I still don't see an expanded X-verse ever rivaling the MCU. But then they don't really need to, just start opening things up and playing in other corners of the sandbox. For Marvel Studios, superheroes are the only game in town, so they are committed regardless and have set themselves up to be able to absorb a few misses with the options they have created.

Would Marvel ever get behind Fox without some form of participation? I don't know.. I'd love to see them work together.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #25
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
As far as I know X-Men is one of Fox's biggest film franchise. So it doesnt matter if they arent as big as MCU. They dont need to be as big as mCu just to justify their success.
No, they don't need to justify their success, I wasn't questioning it. My point was more about long term commitment. Ideas sound good on paper, but if they don't work out and Fox takes a few hits, just how committed would they be going forward? Would they try to reboot in order to retain value in the rights? Would they scale back and just focus on core character X-Men films? Would they keep pushing forward and still believe in what they are doing? Who knows, but we know that to Marvel Studios this is their bread and butter because it's all they do. They won't turn to historical dramas, clever neo noirs, team up with Dreamworks on animated films, or look to other sci-fi/fantasy films like Fox may.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-28-2014 at 01:17 PM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote