The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #51
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_M View Post
I highly doubt it but you never know with Marvel.. hell Arnie was going to play Doc Oc in James Cameron's Spider-Man at one point and also was attached to play Sgt. Rock in the 80's..
Arnie for Groot! "Aaaghhh.. I am Groooot, ja!"

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #52
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Adam Sandler has a very known voice even more so when he get's angry.. I feel like he might be our Rocket Raccoon
Fu** that! Greg Ellis as Rocket Raccoon or bust!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #53
Airwings
Waves of air

Jim Carrey playing a straight-faced superhero (without his usual rubber face) could be something really cool. Hopefully, it will be more than just providing the voice. I wanna see him perform some superheroic acts.

Last edited by Airwings; 01-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #54
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

I am actually interested in Carrey's performance in Kick-Ass 2. That could be quite a gamechanger for him.

I wish Sandler had taken more risks post PDL. He had something intriguing there. But now, he's into making garbage.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #55
Figs
Side-Kick

I couldn't take the character seriously if he's voiced by Sandler. I think he's a terrible choice. Carrey might not be so bad.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #56
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Arnie for Groot! "Aaaghhh.. I am Groooot, ja!"
this might be the only voiceover work Arnie will be doing.. maybe Terminator 5

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #57
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Zookeeper doesn't count as voiceover.. because a Kevin James project is barely considered a film.. he voiced one of the lead characters in Hotel Transylvania which did decent with critics and box office.. not defending just giving a better example

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #58
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

take a chance and watch Punch-Drunk Love from Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood, Boogie Nights) you might actually think that Adam Sandler is able to actually act and carry a film..

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #59
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

So is anybody else worried by the fact that we're rapidly nearing 20 actors who have read for Star-Lord?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #60
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
So is anybody else worried by the fact that we're rapidly nearing 20 actors who have read for Star-Lord?
you shouldn't be worried it was the same case for the casting of Captain America: The First Avenger.. which led to Sebastian Stan landing the Bucky role...I assume they're just making sure they get the rights actors

Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #61
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
you shouldn't be worried it was the same case for the casting of Captain America: The First Avenger.. which led to Sebastian Stan landing the Bucky role...I assume they're just making sure they get the rights actors
The thing with Cap though was they were holding out for Evans and screen testing in the mean time. My impression is they were holding out for either Krasinski or JGL (or both) and they fell through, and the production is now really hurting.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #62
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I am actually interested in Carrey's performance in Kick-Ass 2. That could be quite a gamechanger for him.

I wish Sandler had taken more risks post PDL. He had something intriguing there. But now, he's into making garbage.
even more depressing with the knowledge he turned down the Sgt. Donny Donowitz role in Inglorious Basterds to make Funny People instead..

Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #63
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Jim Carrey playing a straight-faced superhero (without his usual rubber face) could be something really cool. Hopefully, it will be more than just providing the voice. I wanna see him perform some superheroic acts.
I strongly doubt either Carrey or Sandler are being considered for physical roles, just voiceovers. Their salaries would be through the roof, as opposed to a much more manageable (for Marvel Studios) paycheck for voice work.

Carrey has a pretty long and decent history with voice acting, and he's certainly got a wide range of voices in his repertoire. He'd probably pull off a great Rocket, but I only worry that he might go TOO over-the-top. RR needs to be funny, but I don't want to see him reduced to a typical Saturday morning cartoon character shucking and jiving. I want him to be, you know, organic and fit in with the rest of the movie. If the performance devolves into broad parody, you can kiss the movie goodbye. Funny is one thing; farce is another.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #64
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
The thing with Cap though was they were holding out for Evans and screen testing in the mean time. My impression is they were holding out for either Krasinski or JGL (or both) and they fell through, and the production is now really hurting.
Marvel is focusing on finalizing the cast for Captain America: The Winter Soldier which hasn't finished just yet..that movie starts production in April and still hasn't nailed down two major roles.. it's female lead and another possible villain

if by the end of the Spring Marvel hasn't cast all the roles then you can be nervous..

Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #65
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Marvel is focusing on finalizing the cast for Captain America: The Winter Soldier which hasn't finished just yet..that movie starts production in April and still hasn't nailed down two major roles.. it's female lead and another possible villain

if by the end of the Spring Marvel hasn't cast all the roles then you can be nervous..
It's tough finding someone who's willing to start at $150,000 and sign on for 6 films :-P

Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #66
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

The casting for this thing is getting a shockingly large amount of attention for such a "no name" property. I guess this is how it was before RDJ got Iron Man.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #67
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
The casting for this thing is getting a shockingly large amount of attention for such a "no name" property. I guess this is how it was before RDJ got Iron Man.
Yeah. On that note does anyone have a list of EVERY name attached to Star-Lord?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #68
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
It's tough finding someone who's willing to start at $150,000 and sign on for 6 films :-P
I'd love to believe that those are the real contract numbers (very unlikely).. what usually happens is they agree to upfront fee (to keep production budgets down) like that number you threw out there... a magical thing happens, they get paid on the backend with points or percentages.. Robert Downey Jr.'s deal went public which isn't as big for the other actors with Marvel Studios..he ended up with a low percentage of gross of each Marvel film he appears in..for an example because Avengers made $1.5b he earned around $100m plus., not sure anyone else is paying an actor that much.... this went into effect with Avengers, I would be shocked if Evans and Hemsworth didn't a similar (likely less) deal for Avengers and their respective sequels..

contracts are lengthly legal documents and have an actor committed to months of production along with weeks of press tours..they have to weigh their options along with the chance they'll have to pass on passion projects down the line which could help them grow as actors or earn awards.. not everything is money motivated..sometimes actors have studio contracts which allows them to test for other projects but they could be called back for something else.. we saw this when Fox pulled Emily Blunt off Iron Man 2.. I think they have to make sure the contracts are ironclad before announcing anything..

Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #69
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
This is how big name properties are born

Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #70
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
btw everyone was shocked when they hired RDJ since he was freshly released from jail at the time.. don't pretend that his hiring was excepted at first because it wasn't until Comic-Con that people actually rallied around the film...

Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #71
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
I'd love to believe that those are the real contract numbers (very unlikely).. what usually happens is they agree to upfront fee (to keep production budgets down) like that number you threw out there... a magical thing happens, they get paid on the backend with points or percentages.. Robert Downey Jr.'s deal went public which isn't as big for the other actors with Marvel Studios..he ended up with a low percentage of gross of each Marvel film he appears in..for an example because Avengers made $1.5b he earned around $100m plus., not sure anyone else is paying an actor that much.... this went into effect with Avengers, I would be shocked if Evans and Hemsworth didn't a similar (likely less) deal for Avengers and their respective sequels..

contracts are lengthly legal documents and have an actor committed to months of production along with weeks of press tours..they have to weigh their options along with the chance they'll have to pass on passion projects down the line which could help them grow as actors or earn awards.. not everything is money motivated..sometimes actors have studio contracts which allows them to test for other projects but they could be called back for something else.. we saw this when Fox pulled Emily Blunt off Iron Man 2.. I think they have to make sure the contracts are ironclad before announcing anything..
I doubt an actor like Chris Lowell has anywhere near the stroke of a Robert Downey Jr when it comes to haggling over percentage points. He might see a set pay increase for his second outing, but I doubt even if Guardians of the Galaxy is a hit, that any lesser known actor in the role of Star-Lord will break $1 M.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #72
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Marvel didn't hire "big names" for Thor or Captain America..we shouldn't expect one for Quill either.. the supporting cast is where Marvel hires the names..Kevin Feige is developing Marvel's own talent.. Evans hasn't caught-on like Hemsworth but Snowpiercer could change that..

Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #73
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
I doubt an actor like Chris Lowell has anywhere near the stroke of a Robert Downey Jr when it comes to haggling over percentage points. He might see a set pay increase for his second outing, but I doubt even if Guardians of the Galaxy is a hit, that any lesser known actor in the role of Star-Lord will break $1 M.
If the movie makes bank the lead will get a raise. If it doesn't, he won't (and there probably wouldn't be a sequel anyway)

But being the face of a big international franchise and the potenential for big paydays on sequels and a big career boost in general kind of mitigates that first low paycheck

Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #74
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Marvel didn't hire "big names" for Thor or Captain America..we shouldn't expect one for Quill either.. the supporting cast is where Marvel hires the names..Kevin Feige is developing Marvel's own talent.. Evans hasn't caught-on like Hemsworth but Snowpiercer could change that..
Chris Evans had a part in two films that grossed over $600 M ww combined. Chris Hemsworth was an Australian soap actor. I think it's a little wrong to stick them in the same breath, pre-MCU.

My point still stands, whoever signs up for this role is signing their life away and will initially only see a little bit of money.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #75
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Chris Evans had a part in two films that grossed over $600 M ww combined. Chris Hemsworth was an Australian soap actor. I think it's a little wrong to stick them in the same breath, pre-MCU.

My point still stands, whoever signs up for this role is signing their life away and will initially only see a little bit of money.
Yeah, they'd be lucky to see $1 million based on what people not named RDJ made for Avengers.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Closed Thread