The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
Alex_Spider
Banned User

Default Westworld - The inspiration for Terminator?

Just saw this awesome sic fi classic. Hadn't heard of it before and I was blown away while watching it. I liked the effects for the time it was made and its simplistic premise. The androids were somewhat creepy and I really liked the way the machinery looked inside of them. The gunslinger android I think was clearly an inspiration for the Terminator. And it's the first movie where a 2D cgi is used to show us the bad android's vision. Pretty neat for 1973.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL3eP0Hfy4

followed by another sequel which I am seeing in short.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTMtu4Z5T-U

Last edited by Alex_Spider; 03-31-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Westworld - The inspiration for Terminator?

WESTWORLD is a better movie than it's sequel FUTUREWORLD, but the sequel is still worth taking a look at. There have been several movies from years ago where robots either take over or try to take over the world....so i wouldn't say that it is the direct inspiration for TERMINATOR, but one of them.

The Yul Brynner "gunslinger" robot is made to look like his character from THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (both produced by MGM) and is quite menacing. Even though he is given large billing in the sequel, it's just a few minutes cameo.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Alex_Spider
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
WESTWORLD is a better movie than it's sequel FUTUREWORLD, but the sequel is still worth taking a look at. There have been several movies from years ago where robots either take over or try to take over the world....so i wouldn't say that it is the direct inspiration for TERMINATOR, but one of them.

The Yul Brynner "gunslinger" robot is made to look like his character from THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (both produced by MGM) and is quite menacing. Even though he is given large billing in the sequel, it's just a few minutes cameo.
Well, I know the sequel may not be as good as the first, but I am sure I will enjoy it as much. I am a sucker for sci fi movies of the 70's and 80's era. Well, I meant more about the gunslinger, the cold way he moves and reacts, hunting down the protagonist, it reminded me very much Arnold's portrayal.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
Well, I know the sequel may not be as good as the first, but I am sure I will enjoy it as much. I am a sucker for sci fi movies of the 70's and 80's era. Well, I meant more about the gunslinger, the cold way he moves and reacts, hunting down the protagonist, it reminded me very much Arnold's portrayal.
I wasn't saying not to watch the sequel....just giving fair warning. Personally, I love old sci fi movies like this, but most younger posters on the Hype tend to dismiss them.

Yul Brynner did a good job with his "robotic" look when pursuing people...so yeah, it could have been part of the research Arnold and Cameron did.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Alex_Spider
Banned User

Quote:
I wasn't saying not to watch the sequel....just giving fair warning. Personally, I love old sci fi movies like this, but most younger posters on the Hype tend to dismiss them.
They don't make 'em like they used to
Those low tech movies of that era had way more heart and engaging stories, than the generic unoriginal cgi fest we get today from the likes of Michael Bay.

Quote:
Yul Brynner did a good job with his "robotic" look when pursuing people...so yeah, it could have been part of the research Arnold and Cameron did

Last edited by Alex_Spider; 03-31-2014 at 04:45 PM.