The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #26
echostation
Banned User

Default Re: 85th Annual Academy Awards (2013) - Part 1

I'm glad Zero DArk Thirty is being left out due to such major historical inaccuracies...not so much inaccuracies but failure to acknowledge like half of the rest of the events that happened regarding the fight on terror... it's kind of silly that they just left a TV show handle that whole aspect while they just focus on Bin Laden

Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #27
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

A tv show has 24 hours per season to tell its stories. This film had less than 3. Criticize it for historical inaccuracies all you want but to complain about a narrowed focus is rather odd.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #28
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
I'm glad Zero DArk Thirty is being left out due to such major historical inaccuracies...not so much inaccuracies but failure to acknowledge like half of the rest of the events that happened regarding the fight on terror... it's kind of silly that they just left a TV show handle that whole aspect while they just focus on Bin Laden
It's not about the whole war, its about the hunt for Bin Laden. Are you one of those people that hated Lincoln because it didn't show any of the Civil War

Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #29
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
I can't figure it out either. For example, I actually sat down and tried to watch The White Ribbon three times when it was on the movie channels and I just couldn't take it. I dunno if it gets good after the first 30 minutes but this guy don't know.

I watched The Iron Lady the other day, Jesus. The stuff actually dealing with Thatcher's life and politics was okay but all the **** with her doddering around as Thatcher with alzheimers got tired quick. I actually ended up skipping forward 30 seconds at a time for the last third of the movie. I can see why she would maybe win an Oscar for best actress, I guarantee that was great acting, but I'm not surprised the movie was never nominated for "Best Picture".

I have The Artist in my Netflix instant cue, I've been trying to work myself up to watching it but I have the feeling it is going to be a massive disappointment.
Yep. That part with old Thatcher was incredibly boring and seemed as if it were simply trying to portray her as a senile old lady.

I would've found it far more interesting if it concentrated on her actual years in politics and had a more linear storytelling structure. I hated how it kept jumping back and forth and everytime it started showing her earlier years it reverted back to old Thatcher. You could never get into a rhythm. Old Thatcher also seemed to be rambling about nothing, and really, who wants to sit through those kinds of scenes?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
tek
Side-Kick

if the cinema goers had to vote for best picture, based on the audience reactions, les miserables would win in a landslide. so it will be interesting to see what the academy will do. I found Chicago to be far inferior but it won. better opposition this year?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #31
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

John Travolta should've taken Chicago when originally offered the Richard Gere role, but he turned it down because he didn't think it would be a success. He would've been a better musical talent and would've had another hit musical film under his belt in addition to Grease.

I think his name would've also added an additional layer of gravitas to the cast because of his previous experience with Grease. Gere was a bit more like having Russell Crowe in Les Mis.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

He was probably too busy with his massage to really consider the role.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #33
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
John Travolta should've taken Chicago when originally offered the Richard Gere role, but he turned it down because he didn't think it would be a success. He would've been a better musical talent and would've had another hit musical film under his belt in addition to Grease.

I think his name would've also added an additional layer of gravitas to the cast because of his previous experience with Grease. Gere was a bit more like having Russell Crowe in Les Mis.
Hugh Jackman also turned down that role in Chicago! Not because of scheduling conflicts, it was because his agent advised him against taking musical roles. :

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #34
Kansiov
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Are you one of those people that hated Lincoln because it didn't show any of the Civil War
Disagree on the Civil War part, the omission of the war was really baffling, as was the whole idea of revolving the movie around the 13th Amendment. Much of the leverage Lincoln enjoyed throughout the movie was not attained through bribes (as suggested in the movie), but rather through the success of the Overland Campaign by Grant and particularly the resounding victory at Atlanta by Sherman. These military victories allowed Lincoln to score political victories in 1864, which saw him re-elected and attain a supermajority in Congress.

These military victories wouldn't have happened without Lincoln's endorsement of Grant's "total war" policy which saw Union Soldiers sacking and burning whole cities to the ground; a controversial, but successful effort to demoralize the Confederacy that was completely unaddressed in the film.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #35
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Argo wins the PGA. Game on.
Its chances shot up. Big time. But that Best Director snub is still a sore wound.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #36
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansiov View Post
Disagree on the Civil War part, the omission of the war was really baffling, as was the whole idea of revolving the movie around the 13th Amendment. Much of the leverage Lincoln enjoyed throughout the movie was not attained through bribes (as suggested in the movie), but rather through the success of the Overland Campaign by Grant and particularly the resounding victory at Atlanta by Sherman. These military victories allowed Lincoln to score political victories in 1864, which saw him re-elected and attain a supermajority in Congress.

These military victories wouldn't have happened without Lincoln's endorsement of Grant's "total war" policy which saw Union Soldiers sacking and burning whole cities to the ground; a controversial, but successful effort to demoralize the Confederacy that was completely unaddressed in the film.
The movie is set entirely after the election.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #37
Kansiov
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
The movie is set entirely after the election.
Like I said, which is baffling.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Its chances shot up. Big time. But that Best Director snub is still a sore wound.
Yeah. Argo certainly has a better chance of pulling off the upset now, but it is still a big underdog. Only one picture has won Best Picture at the Oscars without a Best Director nomination since the early 30s.

Meanwhile, in the last 20 years the PGA and Academy have disagreed seven times.

1992 - The Crying Game (PGA) vs. Unforgiven (Oscar)
1995 - Apollo 13 (PGA) vs. Braveheart (Oscar)
1998 - Saving Private Ryan (PGA) vs. Shakepeare in Love (Oscar)
2001 - Moulin Rouge! (PGA) vs. A Beautiful Mind (Oscar)
2004 - The Aviator (PGA) vs. Million Dollar Baby (Oscar)
2005 - Brokeback Mountain (PGA) vs. Crash (Oscar)
2006 - Little Miss Sunshine (PGA) vs. The Departed (Oscar)

Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #39
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Like I said, which is baffling.
Lincoln's life is too huge for one movie. They did it the best way you could. Pick one part of it and make a movie about that. The movie is not about the Civil War. Its only about his struggle to get the amendment signed.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #40
echostation
Banned User

You guys commenting so much that its ok of what zero dark thirty fails to even acknowledge is ridiculous. Im not asking for the whole war on terror. But at least some damn acknowledgement of the damage abu nazir did. Or abt carey and saul the two brave cia analyzers manage to catch him along with a sleeper bedding cells.. Not evenntouching on those historical aspects is just lazy silly and condescending of the efforts of other cia members in fighting terrorism. Im not asking for the civil war to be shown loke in loncoln. Im simply asking why didnt zero d 30 this supposedly great film even acknowledge very recent news events like abu nazirs killing at cia hands thanks to carey

Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #41
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

But its kind of a dick move to portray Lincoln has bribing all these votes out of people when that really wasn't quite the case.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #42
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
You guys commenting so much that its ok of what zero dark thirty fails to even acknowledge is ridiculous. Im not asking for the whole war on terror. But at least some damn acknowledgement of the damage abu nazir did. Or abt carey and saul the two brave cia analyzers manage to catch him along with a sleeper bedding cells.. Not evenntouching on those historical aspects is just lazy silly and condescending of the efforts of other cia members in fighting terrorism. Im not asking for the civil war to be shown loke in loncoln. Im simply asking why didnt zero d 30 this supposedly great film even acknowledge very recent news events like abu nazirs killing at cia hands thanks to carey
But why would they show that when the movie is about Osama Bin Laden? It's like getting upset Batman Begins didn't focus more on the Joker.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
smashmode
House Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Best director snub was the best thing that could have happened to Argo's BP chances

Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #44
echostation
Banned User

Youre telling me that not even mentioning the second biggest terrorist abu nazir caught by carey matheson isnt at least important?? Zero dark thirtys weakness is its overreliance on other docu tv series like homeland to show all of the other major goings on in the war on terror

Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #45
childeroland
Side-Kick

So if Argo wins Best Picture, who's the Best Director frontrunner, if there is one?

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #46
QBComics
Side-Kick

Quote:
Youre telling me that not even mentioning the second biggest terrorist abu nazir caught by carey matheson isnt at least important?? Zero dark thirtys weakness is its overreliance on other docu tv series like homeland to show all of the other major goings on in the war on terror
No, it isn't important. Again, the movie is not about that, it focuses specifically on the hunt for Bin Laden. ZD30 isn't relying on any other show to portray the rest of the war on terror, because ZD30 isn't concerned with the rest of the war on terror. I think you've missed the point of the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
So if Argo wins Best Picture, who's the Best Director frontrunner, if there is one?
My guess is Spielberg. Though I suspect Ang Lee may pull it off too.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:

The 13th Amendment was passed before the new session of Congress was sworn in. And the importance of the 1864 election was definitely mentioned in the film.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #48
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

You know what this year reminds me of? 1995.

That year was a wide open race, and going into the Oscar nominations the slight favorite was Apollo 13. Then Braveheart gets the most nominations, and Apollo 13 sees two huge snubs in Tom Hanks for Best Actor and former actor-turned-director Ron Howard for Best Director. Braveheart is the heavy favorite at that point. Then Apollo 13 wins the PGA, SAGs, and Ron Howard wins the DGA (only the second non-Oscar nominated director to win it). Going into the Oscars, Apollo 13 all of a sudden has all the momentum and is looking like the front-runner. Then Oscar night we watch Mel Gibson go up to the podium over and over again, while Apollo 13 only wins a couple of technical awards. I expect the same thing this year.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #49
Poeman
Banned User

Braveheart was epic though...I dont think there is a epic film like that this year. I dont consider Les Miserables epic.

Alot of films like Apollo 13. I think this year is more like when Crash upset Brokeback Mountain.

I think a upset like Silver Linings Playbook could win it

Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #50
Liam_H
Side-Kick

So Lincoln will be big at Oscars while Argo gets all the guild stuff.

Spill

Closed Thread