The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Phantom Dust

Phantom Dust Is Coming To The Xbox One. June 9, 2014 . 10:49am

Phantom Dust is coming to the Xbox One, Microsoft announced this morning at their E3 press conference.
Quote:

Phantom Dust is coming to the Xbox One, Microsoft announced this morning at their E3 press conference.

A tweet from Xbox’s Larry Hryb (AKA Major Nelson) indicates that the game is actually a remake. Hryb tweeted: “Phantom Dust remastered with all-new gameplay and graphics. Relive the story exclusively on Xbox One”

Phantom Dust was a game developed for the original Xbox, directed by Yukio Futatsugi, director of Panzer Dragoon and Crimson Dragon.
source:Siliconera

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Phantom Dust

source: GI

Old 08-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

How was the original game?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
Doctor Evo
Banned User

****ing amazing online play. Truly one of the best - and most underrated - multiplayer experiences of all time, IMO.

I can't afford an XBO, but this game alone is making me seriously consider the investment. I loved the original game that much.

Very sad to see that this game isn't getting more attention/hype.

Doctor Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
zenith16
Side-Kick

Xbox One
Phantom Dust reboot is a ’30 hour-long JRPG’

Published 10 hours ago. 24 comments.

Quote:
Microsoft considering Killer Instinct pricing model.

The new Phantom Dust game for Xbox One is “about a 30 hour JRPG,” Microsoft Studios creative director Ken Lobb revealed on the latest Inner Circle Podcast.
The game will retell the story of the original game, as Lobb believes it was “one of the strengths of the game,” and unfortunately, “only like 60,000 people ever saw it.”
It will also correct the mistakes of the 2005-launched Xbox original.
“One really big flaw: if you started playing this game, you had no idea it was an arena game until you played three to six hours,” Lobb said.
Another issue, Lobb added, is the game began with too much focus on the story and hid the fact you’ll be using arsenals of cards to fight enemies.
Unfortunately, Lobb didn’t reveal the game’s release date or developer. But he did discuss a bit about pricing. “Gamers might not want to go out and take a sixty dollar risk,” Lobb said. While a decision has yet to be made, the Killer Instinct play model would “make sense” with Phantom Dust, Lobb said.
Phantom Dust was announced for Xbox One at last year’s E3.
Thanks, IGN.

Read More

Xbox One, Ken Lobb, Microsoft, Phantom Dust
source: Gematsu

Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I want to try this out.

Oh that got banned

Old 01-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

This is a card game? My interest is gone.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Chaos View Post
This is a card game? My interest is gone.
same here.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
Tron Bonne
DON'T SUCK LEMONS!
SHH! Moderator

It's not really. Here's a video of the actual gameplay from the original:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #10
Benstamania
Han Shot First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Ah the memories. Can't wait for the new one.

Xbox Live: OverBenthousand
Nintendo Network ID: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
oh, well that's not bad.

so what are the cards for? they are items that you equip that let you use the spells?

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #12
Tron Bonne
DON'T SUCK LEMONS!
SHH! Moderator

Yeah, pretty much. You have to build a set of skills similar to how you built a deck of cards for mission. It's a bit hard to explain, but that's more or less how it works. The gameplay itself is more of an action RPG kind of thing.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. You have to build a set of skills similar to how you built a deck of cards for mission. It's a bit hard to explain, but that's more or less how it works. The gameplay itself is more of an action RPG kind of thing.
ah, thanks.

well, if the new version is an action RPG, then I won't immediately write it off.......lol.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Tron Bonne
DON'T SUCK LEMONS!
SHH! Moderator

From Kotaku:

Quote:
Independent development studio Darkside Games, which was working on the planned reboot of the cult classic Phantom Dust, shut down this afternoon in the wake of news that Microsoft had cancelled their version of the game, Kotaku has learned.

Microsoft, however, says they're still working on the upcoming Xbox One reboot.

"Microsoft partnered with Darkside Game Studios in the development of 'Phantom Dust,' but our working relationship has now ended," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "We have great respect for their studio and their work in the industry. While we do not have anything new to share on 'Phantom Dust' at this time, we can confirm that development of the title continues. We look forward to sharing more details on the game as we get closer to release."
Well, I think this means that this game probably won't hit this year then, unless MS is still going to use a majority of the assets from Darkside's version of the game. I wonder what happened. Since Darkside shut down completely, I expect some insider gossip will come some.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #15
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I'd be surprised if Microsoft even continues on with the IP. It's a shame for all the people that were let go, but honestly, Microsoft really doesn't need it. They've done a rather good job in attempting to build up their IP portfolio with the Gears of War and Minecraft acquisitions and are trying new things as well. And Microsoft focusing on a JRPG was just mindboggling.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #16
Tron Bonne
DON'T SUCK LEMONS!
SHH! Moderator

Not mindboggling when you know that platform holders actually try to have a portfolio of various titles on their consoles. It's the reason Nintendo funded games like Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, and Wonderful 101. MS lacked a solid exclusive JRPG game/series, probably either didn't want to spend the money to bring an established series exclusive or couldn't find a party willing to do so considering how little benefit it was to them last gen, so they looked to their own backlog.

Quote:
Old 02-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Except people who play JRPGs really don't have Xboxes to begin with. After all the courting Microsoft did with the Xbox 360 that brought them no success, there really is no point in trying to court a PlayStation centric demographic that is in love with a dying genre.

And Nintendo is in a more dire need to expand their IP portfolio than Microsoft does at the moment.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
Benstamania
Han Shot First

Man it is really sad that the JRPG is all but dead. It's like the Radio Shack of genres.

Xbox Live: OverBenthousand
Nintendo Network ID: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #19
Tron Bonne
DON'T SUCK LEMONS!
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Except people who play JRPGs really don't have Xboxes to begin with. After all the courting Microsoft did with the Xbox 360 that brought them no success, there really is no point in trying to court a PlayStation centric demographic that is in love with a dying genre.

And Nintendo is in a more dire need to expand their IP portfolio than Microsoft does at the moment.
I'm not sure if you understood what I was getting at. Platform holders are out to make money, of course, but they often pursue IPs they know will have limited appeal on their platform to attract what they will know will be a small group to integrate into their userbase as a whole. That's the point of having portfolio IPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
Man it is really sad that the JRPG is all but dead. It's like the Radio Shack of genres.
Well, on consoles maybe. On handhelds, they're going pretty steadily.

Quote:
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #20
zenith16
Side-Kick

They're (JRPG's) making a killing on pc if Got DeceGt as well it seems. via steam And there's nothing wrong with Expanding horizons. Ms wants the Xbox brand to be known then just the gun crowd console their allowed to try.

Last edited by zenith16; 02-18-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #21
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure if you understood what I was getting at. Platform holders are out to make money, of course, but they often pursue IPs they know will have limited appeal on their platform to attract what they will know will be a small group to integrate into their userbase as a whole. That's the point of having portfolio IPs.
But it's a complete waste of time and effort when that small group doesn't even bother integrating. The JRPG is really only viable in the Japanese market, where the Xbox One is platform non grata and JRPG fans in the West are predominantly PlayStation/Nintendo owners. They're not going to switch over to an Xbox One simply because it has Phantom Dust, just like how they didn't switch over when the Xbox 360 had Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Final Fantasy XIII, and Blue Dragon.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't find it sad when they did it to themselves. I think Phil Fish said it perfectly as to why the Japanese gaming industry has been so stagnant and it simply comes down to that their games have been mostly sucking with awful level design, awful stories, and cliched visual style. And it's not just JRPGs that have been stagnant, most Japanese games have been rather mediocre lately. The output from once proud studios like Capcom, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, Tecmo-Koei, and Sega have been predominantly mediocre with their Western developed titles getting most of the acclaim.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #23
Tron Bonne
DON'T SUCK LEMONS!
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
But it's a complete waste of time and effort when that small group doesn't even bother integrating. The JRPG is really only viable in the Japanese market, where the Xbox One is platform non grata and JRPG fans in the West are predominantly PlayStation/Nintendo owners. They're not going to switch over to an Xbox One simply because it has Phantom Dust, just like how they didn't switch over when the Xbox 360 had Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Final Fantasy XIII, and Blue Dragon.
Either you're just being overly dense or you're not really understanding the point of a portfolio IP.

Quote:
Old 02-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #24
Soapy
It's all good man!

Quote:
most Japanese games have been rather mediocre lately.
I totally disagree.

It's obvious to everyone that aside from a few outliers Japan struggled to adapt to the HD generation and emerging trends throughout most of the last generation, however I feel over the past few years they've started to bounce back.

Quote:
I don't know, obviously it comes down to personal taste, but I feel like the genre is looking more vital right now than it has in a good long while. For the moment at least.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #25
Tron Bonne
DON'T SUCK LEMONS!
SHH! Moderator

And there's plenty more if you're willing to dig deeper into handheld and mobile. The genre really is far from dead, it's just become much more niche and regulated.

Quote: