The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #101
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode VII

If you're gonna have a female lead, you really have to take on the unique qualities of women that men lack, and use it properly. Many-a times, you'll have women who are either just window dressing/stand-in for a male (Alice in Resident Evil) or they are objectified to the point where they're running around like sexualized trophies.

With any art there are no absolutes. I like females characters ranging from Lisbeth from 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' to I don't know..Princess Peach from Super Mario. Girly-girly. Just like how I like Ah-nold, and I also like Michael Cera.

It's the matter of damn good writing that counts. That being said, I'm down for a female lead. But like what someone said, I hope it's not a rethread of Luke's journey again. Perhaps, this female character can be already established, or she can be a rogue of some sort.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #102
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #103
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
So how official is this JJ abrams news?
Deadline and many of the other official Hollywood news places have confirmed it. So 100% it seems.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #104
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
So how official is this JJ abrams news?
The Wrap broke it, then Deadline confirmed it along with The Hollywood Reporter and Variety. Then the LA Times confirmed it with their sources.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #105
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Not wanting a femae lead is not being sexist. It is a preference. I like female leads, and I like male leads but it depends on the material for me.
How would people on here react if he called black leads a fad and say that he doesn't want to see black leads in films? His statement was stupid because the vast majority of leads in films like this are still males so why complain like it is happening all of the time?

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #106
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Nothing like creepy Yoda telling you what posters to put on your wall

Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #107
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
If you're gonna have a female lead, you really have to take on the unique qualities of women that men lack, and use it properly. Many-a times, you'll have women who are either just window dressing/stand-in for a male (Alice in Resident Evil) or they are objectified to the point where they're running around like sexualized trophies.

With any art there are no absolutes. I like females characters ranging from Lisbeth from 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' to I don't know..Princess Peach from Super Mario. Girly-girly. Just like how I like Ah-nold, and I also like Michael Cera.

It's the matter of damn good writing that counts.
As usual with you and me I am in agreement.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #108
Octoberist
point blank

Of course, SOlidus! It's because we are aweosme. I tend to agree with Terry too, and I See Spidey..and sometimes..just sometimes VileOne on certain topics.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #109
RKO
QT's Personal Consultant.

More importantly... What are the chances of Jar Jar Binks coming back?

Someone get this hothead out of here!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #110
Octoberist
point blank

slim to none. it's counter-intiutive to bring him back. NO ONE likes 'em besides a few core of fans. And you have to consider this increasingly smaller role per prequel; I'm sure that it wasn't planned that way by Lucas who probably wanted Jar Jar to be the prequel's Chewy/Droids.

Even I think Ewoks have some fans; they DO have some enduring qualities about them, hence why I don't hate them (though their inclusion in "Jedi" does not help the tone of the film. It's jarring when you got this dramatic lightsaber battle between a father and his son; a space battle; and then teddy bears with sling shots.)

Last edited by Octoberist; 01-24-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #111
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
I'm kinda hoping the Gungans were wiped out somewhere between episodes 3 and 6.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #112
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Of course, SOlidus! It's because we are aweosme.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #113
Octoberist
point blank

Man, you didn't fix my typos!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #114
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
Episode 7 will show Jar Jar's daughter

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #115
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Of course, SOlidus! It's because we are aweosme. I tend to agree with Terry too, and I See Spidey..and sometimes..just sometimes VileOne on certain topics.
The Ville One often has great points. I like him being here despite our disagreements.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #116
Coffee
Newbie First Class

While JJ may be considered a safe choice, I feel that it's also a good choice.

Going with someone who has proven critical & commercial success in the sci fi & fantasy genres was a great first step in proving that Disney is taking this franchise seriously.

In terms of the age or gender of the lead, that's not a big deal to me at all.....if the script & cast is solid, I say go for it!!! (I'm sure back in the day, if there were internet forums & such, folks would have complained about S. Weaver being the lead in Alien)

I think everyone involved understands how important this first film is, so even if there is a female lead, I'm sure it will be a strong enough character to carry the film....although most of the films have been pretty balanced when it comes to who is a "lead" & who isn't, so I'm sure there will be multiple leads.....a strong ensemble!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #117
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Man, you didn't fix my typos!
I am not the guy to fix typos lol. I make more then a 10 year old

Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #118
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
How would people on here react if he called black leads a fad and say that he doesn't want to see black leads in films? His statement was stupid because the vast majority of leads in films like this are still males so why complain like it is happening all of the time?
Did he call female actors a fad? I missed it if he did.

I'm of the opinion that giving other races and girls every role coming and going whether they are right for it wont make up for the racism and sexism of the past. If an actor is suited for a role give it to them because they are suited for it, not because we want to make up for some guilt on our soul. Beyond that it is all up to personal preference. We want what we want and know what we like to see in film. Racism and sexism doesn't come into it on a conscious level for most so to get bent out of shape over it is a waste of your energy.

Last edited by Marvolo; 01-24-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #119
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
The Ville One often has great points. I like him being here despite our disagreements.
I like him too. When he's right, he's right and I'll agree with him. But I think he's too cynical on certain topics, like JJ's loyalty, when it doesn't matter to the endgame: the movie itself. JJ's loyalty is a press problem that concern maybe PR agencies, publications or certain weird bloggers.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #120
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Jar Jar definitely survived the 6 movies. Listen closely at the end of ROTJ, when it gets to the Coruscant celebration and you'll hear "Weeesa freeeee!!!" I think that was GL's way of blatantly giving his haters the finger, haha.

But yeah, I'd say -5% chance of seeing the return of Mr. Binks in VII.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #121
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Jar Jar definitely survived the 6 movies. Listen closely at the end of ROTJ, when it gets to the Coruscant celebration and you'll hear "Weeesa freeeee!!!" I think that was GL's way of blatantly giving his haters the finger, haha.

But yeah, I'd say -5% chance of seeing the return of Mr. Binks in VII.
But wasn't he crushed by that giant statue and die slowly as people stomped on his ugly frog head?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #122
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
that's a great way of messing with their heads, isnt it?

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #123
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Quote:
Did he call female actors a fad? I missed it if he did.

I'm of the opinion that giving other races and girls every role coming and going whether they are right for it wont make up for the racism and sexism of the past. If an actor is suited for a role give it to them because they are suited for it, not because we want to make up for some guilt on our soul. Beyond that it is all up to personal preference. We want what we want and know what we like to see in film. Racism and sexism doesn't come into it on a conscious level for most so to get bent out of shape over it is a waste of your energy.
I didn't, I said I didn't want Abrams to play into the trend of women getting the lead role of blockbusters just because it is the thing to do right now. It can't be denied it is a trend over the past 5 years.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #124
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Not wanting a femae lead is not being sexist. It is a preference. I like female leads, and I like male leads but it depends on the material for me.
Yes, it really all comes down to the material. I love the likes of the Alien/Prometheus movies and Tomb Raider having a lead female character. But they are certainly movies or anything in fiction that can be better with different genders.

Quote:
Everybody should agree all the time! It would be awesome boring!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #125
LauraT
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that giving other races and girls every role coming and going whether they are right for it wont make up for the racism and sexism of the past. If an actor is suited for a role give it to them because they are suited for it, not because we want to make up for some guilt on our soul. Beyond that it is all up to personal preference. We want what we want and no what we like to see in film. Racism and sexism doesn't come into it on a conscious level for most so to get bent out of shape over it is a waste of energy.
Well if you want a female to be "suited to the role" you first have to write a decent part that isn't 99% Love Interest and audition the best women for the role. It's highly unlikely that a big part will be non gender/age specific during the scripting process, so you have to consider that you might want a non white male lead long before casting starts. Unless an actress is Angelina they don't get movies rewritten for them. (Tom Cruise was originally being considered for Salt.)

It seems likely that this film might have a female protagonist that kicks butt if Moretz was up for the part, but that doesn't rule out 1 or more other male protagonists that are just as important (or more), than she is. See: Luke/Han/Leia.

Closed Thread