The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #901
roach
I am the night

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Exploration would be boring in a big budget summer movie. The Motion Picture was an exploration film and it was considered such a flop that Roddenberry was forced out of creative control on Wrath of Khan.
With WOK they evoked the swashbuckling atmosphere of the series...it had no exploration and had a clear villain to fight. WOK is considered a box office success and broke the record for first day box office gross.
Incidently Nicholas Meyer, who directed WOK which is considered the best of the series, wasnt a fan of the show and never saw an episode when he was brought on.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #902
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bRsUwdimIoU

New TV Spot with loads more footage!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #903
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQ-WFbfyGk - Scotty- Pegg behind the scenes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCNHXKZ4yc- New TV Spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGj6PFTAero- New TV Spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTXyECAJSE- New TV Spot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9J9tZGYX_Q- New Tv Spot

As you can see Paramount had released an abundance of new footage, enjoy!

Last edited by MrMaooz; 05-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #904
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Why would a time jump be necessary? Why does the crew need to fight a terrorist in order to bond? Whatever **** that happens is entirely up to the writers. Why does Harrison exist at all? Its not like there is some crew backstory they are honoring. This is the story they chose to tell, not one that they had to.

Star Trek doesn't have to be defined by villains or villains with revenge plots for that matter. Unfortunately the films have rarely realized this which is why about half of them suck.
If Abrams wanted them to explore and be far out in the universe the film would have needed to taken place a little further down the road, because they would have needed to be a more experienced crew and settled in. No way Starfleet would send a rookie team who had only been on a ship for less than a year to the deep dark unexplored sectors where they could potentially run amok of an unknown species and start an intergalactic war. Leave that kind of exploration to those who have more experience. Keep the rookies on a shorter leash.

Because this film only takes place less than a year after the first one. They haven't had that much time to explore very far yet. The film opens with them helping a group of primitive people survive a volcano. After that they take shore leave while Kirk gets his ass chewed out over the prime directive. During this Harrison shows up.

What would y'all think about Darenn Aronofsky doing a Trek film?

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 05-04-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #905
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Score Samples! Follow the link and scroll down:

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info...iacchino-.html

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #906
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkpryZfnGW8-new footage with Scotty and Kirk!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #907
antovolk
Side-Kick

5 tracks from the OST (and one bonus track which is not on the album) premiered last night on WQXR New York

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #908
FVD
Jolly Loves You

Just came back from an Exclusive Surprise Screening this evening and all signs pointed towards this movie screening 3 days in advance of the Release Date in Australia. Well I'll be one to say that I enjoyed it, VERY MUCH!!! There was more interaction between the Crew-members and I thought Karl Urban's McCoy and Simon Pegg's Scotty really won me over with their portrayals. Glad to see the classic triumvirate of Kirk, Spock and Bones bicker over things like in the Original Series too - something us fans were hoping would happen in the sequels and beyond.

And Benedict Cumberpatch as John Harrison - WOW by far he was indeed the standout in this film. What an incredible villainous performance and it will be quite a memorable one at that in all of Star Trek IMHO. I'm not going to spoil anymore on the details so I'll leave it there. And I'll also say that there are going to be similarities to the Original Series but will say no more on the matter. Loved some of the little nods too, okay I'll spoil one detail - there was a Tribble that Bones was using as a Guinea Pig.

Okay prepare to be spoiled. Read if you dare!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
John Harrison is KHAN!!! While that is true he was absolutely brilliant in the role, I too have no complaints about him being in this movie. Think of it like Zod appearing in Man of Steel if you will. After all it's been a long time since 1982 so how many casual viewers and new fans will even know who Khan Noonien Singh really is?! All in all the genetically enhanced human beings cryogenically imprisoned also were present. At the end of the day this is an alternative timeline.

I think some people are going to come out disappointed and I think some will accept the new direction. Looking forward to more feedback.

8.5/10 for me.

P.S. - another thing. I think that guy who plays Rose Tyler's boyfriend in Doctor Who, Mickey (Ricky) was in the start of the film which leads to something, explosive.

Last edited by FVD; 05-06-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #909
StarLord
Tech Noir.

On set interview with Benedict...he looks very tired.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #910
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by antovolk View Post
5 tracks from the OST (and one bonus track which is not on the album) premiered last night on WQXR New York

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
this movie is a perfect example of a modern theme being equal to and maybe surpassing the classic theme....few have been able to do that

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #911
StarLord
Tech Noir.

May as well post some more videos...

Harrison's message to Uhura:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Behind the scenes/B-Roll footage:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #912
Binker
Side-Kick

Here's a question: what is everyone's feelings toward Star Trek into Darkness? I think it's going to be cool, but I'm not getting that really hyped up feeling compared to Trek (2009), and a couple of my friends are either indifferent about it, or, waiting for the BD/TV airing. But what about you guys?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #913
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I'm pretty excited about it. I'm somewhat disappointed in some rumors that have been confirmed, but I'm going to a wednesday night imax showing. My girlfriend and I are going in costume, because we basically make use of any excuse to bust out the star fleet uniforms that we bought a few years back.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #914
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
If Abrams wanted them to explore and be far out in the universe the film would have needed to taken place a little further down the road, because they would have needed to be a more experienced crew and settled in. No way Starfleet would send a rookie team who had only been on a ship for less than a year to the deep dark unexplored sectors where they could potentially run amok of an unknown species and start an intergalactic war. Leave that kind of exploration to those who have more experience. Keep the rookies on a shorter leash.

Because this film only takes place less than a year after the first one. They haven't had that much time to explore very far yet. The film opens with them helping a group of primitive people survive a volcano. After that they take shore leave while Kirk gets his ass chewed out over the prime directive. During this Harrison shows up.

What would y'all think about Darenn Aronofsky doing a Trek film?

No, they instead task the inexperienced crew with a super sensitive mission requiring them to halt a potentially planet destroying volcano while hiding their presence from the pre-warp natives. You know, a milk run.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #915
Marvin
Side-Kick

Just came back from a surprise screening.
This movie was amazing.

Devin Faraci is going to regret this recent article comparing anything JJ does to that last Ironman movie....BIG TIME(in regards to the villain work).
Big friggon time.

The one let down was the Klingons and perhaps how they resolve the Harrison situation in the end.

I loved the little cameo from the original cast member.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #916
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

So will Trekkies that griped about the previous one now be satisfied?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #917
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I seriously doubt it.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #918
FVD
Jolly Loves You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Here's a question: what is everyone's feelings toward Star Trek into Darkness? I think it's going to be cool, but I'm not getting that really hyped up feeling compared to Trek (2009), and a couple of my friends are either indifferent about it, or, waiting for the BD/TV airing. But what about you guys?
I thought the Trailers looked cool and my expectations weren't very high at all either. I was definitely looking forward to seeing it and from what I saw, it was going to be immense.... and as a result it was. Enjoyed it IMMENSELY!!!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #919
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
I think that's due to the so-so marketing.

If you noticed, the last trailer and the last two posters (the Imax one with the USS Vengeance and the falling Enterprise) are the most 'Trek-ish' things we've seen in the marketing.

The problem is that Paramount wants to appeal to the international crowd, in whom aren't big on 'Star Trek' even with the 2009 version. So they're tossing out anything out that's 'Treky' with the trailers and posters. However, they're doing the same tactic (for some reason) with the US market. It's kinda baffling.

Then you got the 'mystery box' which tends to divide people. Folks like Devin Faraci (who I like but man, he wears his bias on his sleeve that it's both compelling and obnoxious at the same time), but going into that discussion tends to open a big of worms so...nah.

Last edited by Octoberist; 05-07-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #920
FVD
Jolly Loves You

So was that really the name of the other ship, the USS Vengeance? Must have missed that little tidbit!

Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #921
Octoberist
point blank

I've got a feeling that the tongue in cheek 'Vengeance' isn't mentioned in the movie but it's more a merchandise thing; 'branding it' for models, books, comics and canon.

I don't think Section 31 gets named in the film either right? Just strongly hinted at, which I don't get since it gets mentioned by name in the "Into Darkness: Countdown' comics. (If I'm not mistaken)

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #922
Marvin
Side-Kick

Man if any other "race" wanted to mess with the federation, all that need happen is we send the Vengeance their way and it's a wrap.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #923
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-i...oves-up-a-day/ The release date has now been moved up a day. The Imax showings remain on the 15th.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #924
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
I'm feeling very apathetic towards it. I guess I'm like your friends in that regard.

Despite my misgivings about Star Trek '09, I was excited about the prospects of a sequel because I was hoping by making a big, dumb mainstream action movie the first time around and successfully drawing a large audience, that would allow them the wiggle room to do a more thoughtful, traditional Star Trek movie with the second one. And it seemed for a while that was the direction they were going to go! However, it appears like they're just doubling down with this one, and not only that, but they're jumping on the "The Dark Knight was a huge success, let's just copy that" bandwagon to boot.

I'm a Star Trek fan, so I'll watch it eventually, but the whole thing from the spoilers to the "Into Darkness" title itself just kind of reeks of cynicism to me and I'm not excited to watch this movie at all.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #925
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

The first one was much more of a colorful romp. I know it's sequel etiquette to go darker and showcase that now the fun is over, but hey.

Closed Thread