The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #101
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,363
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Sorry... why are people upset that the shipyard was in Iowa? Who gives a f***?
Because as fans, it is important to them that the details and customs of a universe as well established as Star Trek be maintained in order to create an air of realism. To see those details changed in order to make the storytelling more convenient (and contrived) is irksome.

If you aren't as interested, fine, but keep in mind that we're on a superhero movie forum and this is the place where these things are discussed. To criticise that is to be equivalent to the *******s in high school who interfere with the nerd's D&D games.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #102
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,453
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

And criticizing the fact that the shipyard was in Iowa is akin to the person who refused to start the D&D campaign because they didn't like the color of the dice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Because as fans, it is important to them that the details and customs of a universe as well established as Star Trek be maintained in order to create an air of realism. To see those details changed in order to make the storytelling more convenient (and contrived) is irksome.

If you aren't as interested, fine, but keep in mind that we're on a superhero movie forum and this is the place where these things are discussed. To criticise that is to be equivalent to the *******s in high school who interfere with the nerd's D&D games.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #103
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,363
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
And criticizing the fact that the shipyard was in Iowa is akin to the person who refused to start the D&D campaign because they didn't like the color of the dice.
Difference is that the films will continue to be released as they are and you can freely ignore what people say here, whereas that guy directly interferes with the playing of the game.

Kinda like the people here who tell people to stop talking about things they don't like.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #104
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 23,189
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Or they want to talk about something less trivial.

I'll start. So what are the strengths of Cumberbach's character?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Spielberg wanted to ground the myth of Lincoln in reality. "I wanted to say, what if this guy actually existed? What would it be like?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #105
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,363
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Or they want to talk about something less trivial.
The entire forum is about trivial things. Not a single thing here has any outcome on how the film will turn out.

This website is built on our ability to talk about every tiny insignificant detail.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #106
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 23,189
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

And we're allowed to voice our disapproval of the topic at hand because, unlike topics such as who will play who, what will the costumes be like, what will the plot details be like when speculated, where a ship is built is almost as insignificant as discussing chest hair in the Captain America thread.

Of course you can discuss it, no one's stopping you. It's more of personal preference.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Spielberg wanted to ground the myth of Lincoln in reality. "I wanted to say, what if this guy actually existed? What would it be like?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.

Last edited by Parker Wayne; 02-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Parker Wayne is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #107
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68,451
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Or they want to talk about something less trivial.

I'll start. So what are the strengths of Cumberbach's character?
Dat voice. It's like Jeremy Irons and Satan had a love child.

__________________
Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Sawyer is online now  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #108
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: An empty stadium
Posts: 15,791
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Dat voice. It's like Jeremy Irons and Satan had a love child.


Actually, you may be on to something there. They keep talking about his character's powers of persuasion and all that... I wonder if he'll be like Saruman in the sense that his voice will actually be able to sway people's minds.

__________________
YOBOGOYA!!!!!!!
Rowsdower! is online now  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #109
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 13,658
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
And we're allowed to voice our disapproval of the topic at hand because, unlike topics such as who will play who, what will the costumes be like, what will the plot details be like when speculated, where a ship is built is almost as insignificant as discussing chest hair in the Captain America thread.

Of course you can discuss it, no one's stopping you. It's more of personal preference.

The whole Iowa shipyard thing is just a tangible, easily pointed to example of several larger trends in JJ's Star Trek that people aren't necessarily fan's of. Same with the whole underwater thing. Its just something people latch onto because its easier to point out and discuss than a dislike of the overall style and tone and things.

The whole "Kirk seeing the enterprise built in his own town" is a fairly effective image and has thematic implications and such, but its part of a different style of story telling than many people look for in star trek. Just listen to the commentary, the whole reason for that scene was to riff on the twin suns shot in A New Hope. JJ is far more concerned with creating great moments than a consistent whole. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it certainly made for an entertaining film, but its just not necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On my planet, the S stands for Sears.
redhawk23 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #110
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,548
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Honestly...when they first showed the ship being built at a shipyard...my first thought as a fan was not "What?? This FAILS! It's not being built in space!"

My first thought was *$#Y%&!!! it's a freaking Starship!!"

__________________
Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Destructus86 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #111
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 23,189
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

To me, it's still grasping at straws at the bigger scale of things. I don't think anyone walked out of a theater or at Destruct said, expressed actual anger because The Enterprise was built in Iowa. I honestly don't believe that many people past the number of finger were angry at that.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Spielberg wanted to ground the myth of Lincoln in reality. "I wanted to say, what if this guy actually existed? What would it be like?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #112
JAKŪ
Upstart
 
JAKŪ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,363
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

If I told you that I set the theatre on fire due to my outrage, would that justify my criticism?

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAKŪ



JAKŪ is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #113
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 23,189
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Of Course.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Spielberg wanted to ground the myth of Lincoln in reality. "I wanted to say, what if this guy actually existed? What would it be like?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #114
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,377
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Dat voice. It's like Jeremy Irons and Satan had a love child.
Or Patrick Stewart.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #115
Smegger56
The Smegginator
 
Smegger56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: ScouseLand, Liverpool, England
Posts: 2,453
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Because as fans, it is important to them that the details and customs of a universe as well established as Star Trek be maintained in order to create an air of realism. To see those details changed in order to make the storytelling more convenient (and contrived) is irksome.

If you aren't as interested, fine, but keep in mind that we're on a superhero movie forum and this is the place where these things are discussed. To criticise that is to be equivalent to the *******s in high school who interfere with the nerd's D&D games.
The JJ film now exists in a different timeline to the one TOS-VOY existed in. So JJ and his team can do whatever they want (for the most part) to Trek post 2233, like build the ship on Earth.

If people aren't aware of this fact, then surely having the ship launch in the year 2255 instead of 2245 should have been as big an issue as the ship being built in Iowa.

I do agree that if JJ and co did a prequel that existed in the same timeline as the other shows/films, then even I'd be a bit 'wtf' (though I'd still enjoy the film).

__________________
METAL.GEAR
ASSASSIN'S


Last edited by Smegger56; 02-05-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Smegger56 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #116
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 38,777
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

It's like being mad that TDK Joker doesnt look like Batman's Joker...its a reboot

__________________
There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #117
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,729
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

What serves the story best for the story that you are telling is MOST important. Having Kirk look at the Enterprise being built serves an emotional response in the audience and THAT is most important. There's a reason all the Star Trek shows got progressively worse because they built themselves into a corner and the stories suffered because of it.

DarkKnight88 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #118
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 13,658
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
What serves the story best for the story that you are telling is MOST important. Having Kirk look at the Enterprise being built serves an emotional response in the audience and THAT is most important. There's a reason all the Star Trek shows got progressively worse because they built themselves into a corner and the stories suffered because of it.
That is only one kind of story telling and its not the only way those feelings could have been invoked or the only way the story could be told. Also, creating moments is not the same as story telling.

JJ's style is far more similar to say George Lucas than Nicholas Meyer. Some people are bigger fans of one style over another. This is ok.

And you know how you avoid getting stuck in corners? By not making prequels.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On my planet, the S stands for Sears.

Last edited by redhawk23; 02-05-2013 at 05:55 PM.
redhawk23 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #119
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 13,658
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
It's like being mad that TDK Joker doesnt look like Batman's Joker...its a reboot
Those are completely different series, this series of films claims to have a lot more relation to what came before.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On my planet, the S stands for Sears.
redhawk23 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #120
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler
 
wobbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 7,934
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
It's like being mad that TDK Joker doesnt look like Batman's Joker...its a reboot
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
And you know how you avoid getting stuck in corners? By not making prequels.
Technically Abrams Trek is neither a reboot nor a prequel. Its hybrid of the 2 (a 'requel' if such a term exists).

Basically everything that happened before on TV and film does remain in continuity, with Abrams Trek beginning at the point where Nero changed the past, thus allowing for the TOS crew to have all new stories for us now in an alternate timeline that's had over 20 years for all manner of changes to ripple out from Nero's incursion.

It's a clever way of them 'having their cake and getting to eat it too'. The original timeline and all that goes with it still exists for Trekkies, with this new one a playground for the movies to have the TOS crew and do things differently with them.

__________________
To see some gratuitous Wobbly Bits just hit the link :)
wobbly is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #121
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler
 
wobbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 7,934
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Those are completely different series, this series of films claims to have a lot more relation to what came before.
It's supposed to be the same series up until Nero emerged in the past. So the Enterprise TV show happened for this timeline as well.

Where things get muddled is that the original or 'prime' timeline had numerous occasions where they went into the past and helped history along (City at the edge of Forever, First Contact , etc), with it clearly shown that changing history didn't create an alternate timeline seperate from the original, it totally changed the original one, thus providing the need for whichever of the crews were involved to restore things.

I would fanwank the explanation as being that the nature of Nero's time travel (black hole) created enough energy or something to splinter the timeline (they could have dropped that little bit of exposition into the film really, just to explain why time travel worked differently than had been seen before in Trek)

__________________
To see some gratuitous Wobbly Bits just hit the link :)
wobbly is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #122
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 13,658
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Technically Abrams Trek is neither a reboot nor a prequel. Its hybrid of the 2 (a 'requel' if such a term exists).

Basically everything that happened before on TV and film does remain in continuity, with Abrams Trek beginning at the point where Nero changed the past, thus allowing for the TOS crew to have all new stories for us now in an alternate timeline that's had over 20 years for all manner of changes to ripple out from Nero's incursion.

It's a clever way of them 'having their cake and getting to eat it too'. The original timeline and all that goes with it still exists for Trekkies, with this new one a playground for the movies to have the TOS crew and do things differently with them.
I know. I was more responding to comments that Star Trek got worse and worse. Enterprise just wasn't that good of and idea and the creative powers that be were just kind of played out.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On my planet, the S stands for Sears.
redhawk23 is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #123
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.
 
TheIrishAvenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 6,877
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4


__________________
"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR
7.11.14



TheIrishAvenger is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #124
warhorse78
Side-Kick
 
warhorse78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

No Spock?????? They should have had Spock and Kirk on the front page.

warhorse78 is offline  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #125
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 68,451
Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

EW.com shows Kirk and Spock on the cover. I think it's a two cover kind of thing.

__________________
Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Sawyer is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.