The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

View Poll Results: How do you think into Darkness will do?
1 billion 5 13.16%
900 million 0 0%
800 million 0 0%
700 million 2 5.26%
600 million 9 23.68%
500 million 11 28.95%
400 million 6 15.79%
300 million 4 10.53%
200 million 1 2.63%
100 million 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #326
J.Howlett

Default Re: Star Trek into Darkness Box Office Prediction Thread

Paramount is not missing the 50th Anniversary of Trek in 2016. The 3rd film will be out Summer 2016. Bank on that one.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #327
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #328
rayc1971
Side-Kick

I can see the actors sticking around for a 3rd film so we have a trilogy then after that why not reboot the next generation cast for a new trilogy

rayc1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #329
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCaliboi View Post
I would safely venture a guess that we've made enough to warrant another...all should be well. I'm just hoping if they do move forward that the wait isn't as long this time around...
I think they need to just find another time of year to release it in. I think it would do gangbusters in a November release. The summer months are too crowded, and it was released too close to that juggernaut IM3.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #330
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Paramount is not missing the 50th Anniversary of Trek in 2016. The 3rd film will be out Summer 2016. Bank on that one.
Possibly Christmas.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #331
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
I just hope by some miracle JJ can be involved and have his final Trek adventure before someone new comes along.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #332
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I just hope by some miracle JJ can be involved and have his final Trek adventure before someone new comes along.
Just can't see it happening. Would be far to close to SW in terms of production. Can't imagine him jumping right from one to the other.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #333
Cantis1
Side-Kick

Man, I hope this movie made enough for a sequel! I really need another one!

Cantis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #334
chaseter
Bland User

It's right around its break even point WW so I think it's considered a critical and financial success. We will see a third. JJ won't direct but I bet he produces.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #335
Octoberist
point blank

It's around 430 million world-wide which beats the WW of the original (385). While it didn't make as much as the original film in the US (thankfully it made it past it's budget at least), it made a whole lot more internationally than the previous, so that's a success.

I think it's a moderate success but not the gangbusters numbers that Paramount wanted. But it did make it's money back (plus ads) and has an 87% on Rotten Tomato, it's far from a failure.

I think we have to consider that most of the Star Trek movies never made this much money till JJ took over. Even if it's not 'gangbusters', it's destroying the box office results of the 'Next Generation' movies by far.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #336
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I think this is one of the cases where Paramount will weigh the pluses and negatives of whether another sequel will be worth it or not? especially if it means a bigger budget once more.

They may just be happy they were able to make a profit again and not try to push their luck?

Although, the first stark trek movie got made due to star wars mania so if SW7 kicks off a new wave of sci-fi acceptance we might see a similar effect?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #337
Octoberist
point blank

No they will make another one. It made money and it was well received. They just have to realize that a Star Trek movie will never do 'over 700 Million' gangbusters, especially when Star Wars comes back.

You're right though. Star Trek 2009 was a hit because 'Star Wars' was a done franchise and people were hungry for that type of film again. It captured the spirit of the original films, which made it seem fresh and nostalgic at the same time. Think of it as their 'sci-fi space opera filler'.

But with Star Wars coming back, NOW WITH JJ ABRAMS, I think to some ignorant people's eyes a new Star Trek may seem redundant.

Last edited by Octoberist; 07-03-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #338
Octoberist
point blank

It's like this: Your Dream Girl (Star Wars) is taken, so you settle for your Second Choice Girl (Star Trek). It's fun for a while, but once Dream Girl becomes available, you dump poor Second Choice at the flip of a switch to pursue her. Jerk!

I can't speak for all, but I think that's how the general public and bandwagoners may react.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #339
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Yeah there probably is going to be another sequel. Paramount's likely going to hedge their bets and figure this is about as close to our star wars as we can get?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #340
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
It's around 430 million world-wide which beats the WW of the original (385). While it didn't make as much as the original film in the US (thankfully it made it past it's budget at least), it made a whole lot more internationally than the previous, so that's a success.

I think it's a moderate success but not the gangbusters numbers that Paramount wanted. But it did make it's money back (plus ads) and has an 87% on Rotten Tomato, it's far from a failure.

I think we have to consider that most of the Star Trek movies never made this much money till JJ took over. Even if it's not 'gangbusters', it's destroying the box office results of the 'Next Generation' movies by far.
It also cost $40 mil more to make. It's right around that breaking point but DVD sales will be good. Usually 2x budget domestic or 2.5-3x WW are the successful movies at the box office.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #341
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

If they can advertise the third film for the 50th anniversary like they did with Skyfall, they can really go where no Trek film has gone before. Rebooted series where the first was beloved, the second not as loved and the third knocking it out of the park.

DarkKnight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #342
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Into Darkness was a ****load better than Quantum of Solace, though.

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #343
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Into Darkness was a ****load better than Quantum of Solace, though.
Yup.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #344
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
If they can advertise the third film for the 50th anniversary like they did with Skyfall, they can really go where no Trek film has gone before. Rebooted series where the first was beloved, the second not as loved and the third knocking it out of the park.
James Bond has always been 10x bigger than Trek so that's a bad comparison.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #345
rayc1971
Side-Kick

these movies would make more money in nov and December why do they stick them in the summer

rayc1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #346
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Well actually, the first one was slated for December 2008.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #347
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I think the movie has definately made enough for a sequel to be greenlit, though its not my decision of course. I think waiting until 2016, other than the 50th anniversary thing, is a must, it will be at least a year after the new SW film in cinemas, and at least another 6 months from the BD/DVD release as well that general people would have had their fill.

Then ST3 can come along and make its money and we will see what happens from there.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #348
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I think it's almost 2016 or never for a sequel. Aside from the 50th anniversary tie-in potential you'd think they'd have learned that waiting more than 3 years between sequels is probably not great for business?

I can't see them bothering past that date.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #349
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post

Star Trek: The Motion Picture earned $139 million worldwide during its run in 1979. With inflation, that would be equal to over $400 million today.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #350
breadtalk
Side-Kick

the big come back was really in its perfect timing...

breadtalk is offline   Reply With Quote