The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #26
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Default Re: What should be the next Arrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post

'Nuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post
Love all the ideas. Firestorm would be interesting and who doesn't want a show about The Question?

Nightwing, did you know you already have a show in progress? it's a webseries but it counts.

As for your poster its nice, but give me a day or two and I might be able to top it.
Consider me a Question lover as well. However, as I said before, I don't think the Question has what it takes to lead a solo series.

Tonally, his show would probably not be all that different from Arrow; and certainly not something the latter would be unable to accomplish. In other words, his show wouldn't offer anything new.

Moreover, putting him front and centre runs a risk of him losing his charm and mystique through overexposure. Maybe I'm not a 'true fan' but my personal favourite aspects about him are his deadpan-ness, paranoia and how he's such a conspiracy nut (as seen in the Justice League cartoons); all of which run the risk over getting flanderized and made over-the-top if the writers had to continue writing it in repeatedly in every episode.

I think he makes for a much more interesting recurring/support character, is what I'm saying.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #27
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

No I agree, I loved him in the JLU cartoons, they had the best episodes when he was in the show (Fearful Symmetry, Double Date, Question Authority) and I agree that he would be better in a support role.

In my SHAZAM! idea (see first post) I have The Question as a recurring character. He would be Billy's guide to the bigger picture and would show him that there are a lot of things about the world he doesn't know about.

Also he would be a trusted source for info and advice with no bull (like you said deadpan-ness).

But no matter what show he's in, as long as he's in it we'll love it....as long as they don't screw him up!

BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #28
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Actually, come to think of it, a good question is what WOULD be a good way to pull of a good Question; looks-wise from a practical stand point. How would one go about making the infamous blank face in live-action, both in-story and makeup-wise?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #29
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I think a they should take the approach the character did in the show JLU. They showed that it was just a mask that had a breather/speaking apparatus inside the blank face mask.

They could do something similar and just have the actor do the voice again without the mask so that we can hear him clearly.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
Nightwing 52
Things change

Quote:
Love all the ideas. Firestorm would be interesting and who doesn't want a show about The Question?

Nightwing, did you know you already have a show in progress? it's a webseries but it counts.

As for your poster its nice, but give me a day or two and I might be able to top it.
Yeah I saw the trailer and the episode with Red Hood. Enjoyed it quite a bit and looking forward to more. There's also the Nightwing: Prodigal Son fan film which looks decent even though it features the red suit. Obviously I don't mind the red but I'll always be apart of team blue.
Quote:
In my SHAZAM! idea (see first post) I have The Question as a recurring character. He would be Billy's guide to the bigger picture and would show him that there are a lot of things about the world he doesn't know about.
I like this a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Actually, come to think of it, a good question is what WOULD be a good way to pull of a good Question; looks-wise from a practical stand point. How would one go about making the infamous blank face in live-action, both in-story and makeup-wise?
There's an old horror film called Blood and Black Lace which was made in 1964 and the killer wore an attire very close to Q. Faceless mask, etc.

As for how they explain the mask just go by this:

Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #31
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Dangit! A Question show or movie needs to happen!

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #32
Frico
Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Dangit! A Question show or movie needs to happen!
Agreed! And DC also needs to give us a new 52 Question series. Like, now.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Frico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #33
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Nice job with the comic page. Allow me to post a pic of my own. I'm double posting so it can be viewed without text.

For those who don't know (or didn't read my blog shame on you!) I'm trying to make my SHAZAM! idea a reality by making a fan-film. I've got the actors and I'm trying to raise money to make an epic SHAZAM! New 52 costume.

I've started a Kickstarter project and could use some help raising the money. Here's the link if you want to help.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...zam-the-series

As for the pic, what's a fan-film without a poster?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #35
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
There's an old horror film called Blood and Black Lace which was made in 1964 and the killer wore an attire very close to Q. Faceless mask, etc.

As for how they explain the mask just go by this:

I think the pics from that horror movie only serve to emphasise that the Question wouldn't work as a live-action lead. The blank face falls too deep down the Uncanny Valley for a live-action lead protagonist, I feel. Case in point: the design was used for the villain in a horror movie.

But yeah. That would be a very cost-efficient way to do the Question's mask. Only thing is that it should ideally be made closer to flesh colour and detail.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
Spider-Kurt!
Side-Kick

I'd like to see an Outiders tv series featuring Black Lighning and Katana (amongst others) as former Justice League members who either quit or were fired from the League for stepping out from the limitations the goverment placed on the team.It would play out simular to how in the original series,Batman quit the JLA over a situation the League promised not to get involved with.

The team could discover a conspiracy that even the JLA doesn't know the government's been hiding from them. Maybe they'd order Leagers to apprehend them but ultimately join the Outsiders after discovering the truth for themselves.I don't know many characters of the more recent line-ups but toss in a few old school and new school characters and I think it could work.

Romans 8:19
Spider-Kurt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #37
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Owning up to my nick, I'd say do a Hellblazer show. I mean, if one wants to explore the magical side of the DCU John Constantine would be the way to go... though not the Keanu Reeves version. It could be done like a DCU Supernatural with guest stars like Zatanna and so on and so forth.

LaughingMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #38
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

The Question is great. It could be a lot like the X-Files, except with Victor Sage as a private investigator. You could have Renee as his level headed partner and connection to legitimate law enforcement. Maybe she gets fired for being a Lesbian (good point of cultural significance) and teams up with Victor Sage to continue to investigate crimes, albeit ones slightly stranger than those the police deal with.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #39
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

after Smallville, I thought a Manhunter/J'onn J'onzz spin off could've been cool

an alien living on earth working as a detective
(an there could be cameos from other heroes that he encounters while on different cases) he could be like other heroes go to guy for if they need help/info from the cops

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #40
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Hm, a Question show... how about the Question as a kind of whistleblower investigator. A combination of Anonymous and Wikileaks who drags up all of societies dirty little secrets and conspiracies publishing them on his own show on the internet.

LaughingMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

The Question would be a nice thing to see. It's the kind of thing that could be in a nice position to succeed if they write it well. From my knowledge of The Question, which I admit isn't that much, he doesn't seem like something that would get cut at the knees by a controlled budget.

I'd like to see a Blue Beetle series. Ted Kord, I don't think Jaime could be done well with whatever budget they'd probably cap it with.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #42
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

The Question would work well as a detective, crime procedural. So it could even fit well on CBS.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
The Question is great. It could be a lot like the X-Files, except with Victor Sage as a private investigator. You could have Renee as his level headed partner and connection to legitimate law enforcement. Maybe she gets fired for being a Lesbian (good point of cultural significance) and teams up with Victor Sage to continue to investigate crimes, albeit ones slightly stranger than those the police deal with.
this sounds AWESOME!

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #44
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingMage View Post
Owning up to my nick, I'd say do a Hellblazer show. I mean, if one wants to explore the magical side of the DCU John Constantine would be the way to go... though not the Keanu Reeves version. It could be done like a DCU Supernatural with guest stars like Zatanna and so on and so forth.
Hellblazer would be a cool idea. However, as a WB production and (almost certainly) CW show, the main downside is that the setting will have to be a US-based city rather than England. Also, rather than Supernatural, I think the main source of inspiration would be Buffy and Angel instead.

Another idea, as Spider-Fan83 touched on, is Martian Manhunter. It would work as a perfect triumvirate with Arrow and the proposed Wonder Woman series; dividing the DC television universe into separate 'realistic', fantasy and sci-fi settings.

My pitch: MM's powers are limited to telepathy and shapeshifting (cost-saving and makes him less god-like). He is sent to Earth in order to covertly capture/eliminate Martian criminals who have infiltrated Earth in a plan to invade/conquer it and to cover up the existence of aliens from humans. Later seasons would eventually lead to the existence of Martians getting out, leading to (or as a result of) the arrival of other alien characters; allowing the show to take on full on space opera elements.

Alternatively, a more classic idea: MM is accidentally teleported through space and time to Earth as a result of a human science experiment gone wrong. His arrival results in the destruction of the lab in which he is the sole survivor. He later learns that he's travelled into the future, and that Mars is now a dead, barren planet; and his people wiped out. The story then revolves around MM coming to terms that he is the 'last Martian' with no hope of ever returning, hiding his existence from the government, and doing the one thing he knows - protecting the innocent.

The problem with the second though, is that it would incorporate fewer sci-fi elements than the more radical take on the Martian Manhunter.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 02-04-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #45
Frico
Without Fear

Y'know now that I think about..MM has loads of potential as a show. I never thought of it before but thinking about his story as a whole and his eventual connection to the JLA and other heroes could be awesome. It could work if done well.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Frico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #46
Justin
Side-Kick

I think most of you would hate this idea but I'd quite like it if starting with Arrow's second series, they ran a Huntress spin off in tandem and worked it like Angel and Buffy. Characters that can and do cross over, while mostly remaining their own shows.

The relationship they've already established with Arrow and Huntress pretty much give both shows a tie in, although they should be relatively different. Maybe Huntress could be the chick flick and Arrow could get a little darker. Or given that she's a bit violent and crazy, huntress could be the darker one. I thought of this pretty much the moment Helena got on her bike and drove off.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #47
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I think most of you would hate this idea but I'd quite like it if starting with Arrow's second series, they ran a Huntress spin off in tandem and worked it like Angel and Buffy. Characters that can and do cross over, while mostly remaining their own shows.

The relationship they've already established with Arrow and Huntress pretty much give both shows a tie in, although they should be relatively different. Maybe Huntress could be the chick flick and Arrow could get a little darker. Or given that she's a bit violent and crazy, huntress could be the darker one. I thought of this pretty much the moment Helena got on her bike and drove off.
While I have nothing specific against a Huntress spin-off is that it doesn't really offer anything new or different that couldn't be delivered with Arrow. Even when considering a spin-off (perhaps even more so), a question that needs to be answered is what differentiates it from the original. For instance, when Angel spun-off from Buffy, the new show was free to have a darker, more mature tone containing lots of noir references; which would have felt out of place and genre-shifting if attempted on Buffy. Even NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles have different styles in mysteries, investigation techniques and humour; making them distinct from one another.

More importantly, unless Huntress creates its own, original villains, having Arrow and Huntress run simultaneously (and set in the same universe, no less) would further divide the already small pool of normal-esque villains in DC's rogue's gallery; which would be unfortunate.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #48
Optikal
Professor Chaos

Constantine.

Fury: Recoil.

-Secret Warriors #4
Optikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #49
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optikal View Post
Constantine.
That'd be good but I think the Heaven Sent movie would stop that from happening.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #50
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optikal View Post
Constantine.
With the success of Doctor Who in the states, and now Downtown Abbey, this would probably be a good idea considering he is British.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote