Default Re: Official Rate and Review DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Default Official Rate and Review DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

All right, the time is almost here, and since a few of us have already seen the movie...add your review to this thread.

BEWARE SPOILERS!!! Please use common courtesy and use spoiler tags for at least the next two weeks or so until everyone gets a chance to see it. And if you haven't seen it yet...be mindful that there will likely be spoilers in the discussion.

Have fun!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Yeah Mags controlling the Sentinels was kinda an issue for me too.I think a lot of little things don't really hold up to scrutiny if you think about it too much.:oldrazz:
He wasn't really controlling them as seen when one tried to attack him. He was just pointing them in the direction that he wanted them to attack. All he did was place metal in them to control them. If he wanted them to fire at bystanders, then all he has to do is move their arm and turn their chain guns with his powers. They were still programmed to hunt mutants.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Default Re: Official Rate and Review DAYS OF FUTURE PAST - Part 1

Blink and Bishop were great additions and were visually amazing. Warpath and Sunspot were forgettable. Replacing them with Angel and Pyro would of been better IMO.

All in all it was a great film that exceeded my expectations.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I'm not sure I get how Hank's serum can cure paralysis? I mean that's not one of Charles mutations.But I'm willing to go along with it.
Remember how Beast's serum in First Class was intended to 'normalise physical appearance.'

Well, he used it as the basis of another serum to treat Charles. It wasn't the same serum, but partly derived from it.

It so happened to affect Charles' powers. Charles was also taking far too much, because he had got into a right state, and that cancelled his powers altogether.

Quote:
Another thing about the "cure" that seemed too good to be true: Why wasn't it an option for people choosing to suppress their mutation temporarily?In X3 it was to be cured or not,but Hank's formula didn't "cure" mutation,only made it more manageable.Makes me wonder why Hank stopped using it eventually.
Hank clearly was still using it in the scene in X2 where he is seen in human form on the TV, where Mystique is about to seduce the prison guard. But after the government set up a Dept of Mutant Affairs he evidently decided to 'come out' as a mutant and stop using it when appointed Secretary of that department. It makes sense.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
coluanprime
Side-Kick

My take on the serum was that it healed your cells/body by being a virus-like thing that could temporarily rewrite your DNA to that of a healthy, but normal person. On Beast that meant that his cells un-mutated from what he became in First Class and for Charles it healed the damage to his spinal cords but it also "healed/rewrote" his DNA so he longer had his powers while taking it. I'd also guess that like a lot of medications it had some addictive properties so that would explain Beast's he took too much line.

coluanprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Johnny-Oh
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Remember how Beast's serum in First Class was intended to 'normalise physical appearance.'

Well, he used it as the basis of another serum to treat Charles. It wasn't the same serum, but partly derived from it.

It so happened to affect Charles' powers. Charles was also taking far too much, because he had got into a right state, and that cancelled his powers altogether.

Hank clearly was still using it in the scene in X2 where he is seen in human form on the TV, where Mystique is about to seduce the prison guard. But after the government set up a Dept of Mutant Affairs he evidently decided to 'come out' as a mutant and stop using it when appointed Secretary of that department. It makes sense.

Johnny-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:33 AM   #8
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
Blink and Bishop were great additions and were visually amazing. Warpath and Sunspot were forgettable. Replacing them with Angel and Pyro would of been better IMO.

All in all it was a great film that exceeded my expectations.
Personally I can stand either of those two characters so I'm glad they weren't seen at all, two of the weakest in the franchise IMO.

Glad you liked the film though

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 AM   #9
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Warpath was one of my fav new future mutants. He just clicked with me. Warpath and Blink ruled. Bishop was a straight up disappointment lol, even more so than sunspot!

Iceman was my fav previously introduced Future mutant, he kicked ass in DOFP!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Yeah I thought they were used well, clearly they were there to show off their powers and not have huge lines of dialogue, but thats fine, thats the correct way to go about using fringe Mutants in IMO.

Its far better say what they did with Sunspot than compared to Psylocke in LTS for example, if the characters only going to have limited screentime show them using their powers, make it visually exciting for the viewer rather than a cameo that means nothing.

I liked how all the future mutants worked with each other and had a part to play in things, Blink and Warpath, were awesome for me, again both visually exciting and Iceman was the proper Iceman we know at last.

I wanted more from all these characters sure, but thats a good thing, rather than cameos of characters that were pointless.

Its each to their own though I guess, some will not like them because they didnt have many lines and I get that but that wasnt really their purpose for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:43 AM   #11
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
I didn't even think about that! And another inconsistency averted!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 AM   #12
Paradox1
Side-Kick

I gave this a 10/10 something I haven't done since TDK. It was everything you'd want it was funny, made you think, and emotional. I really liked Quicksilver he was hilarious they've got to use him again.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:03 AM   #13
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Yeah I thought they were used well, clearly they were there to show off their powers and not have huge lines of dialogue, but thats fine, thats the correct way to go about using fringe Mutants in IMO.

Its far better say what they did with Sunspot than compared to Psylocke in LTS for example, if the characters only going to have limited screentime show them using their powers, make it visually exciting for the viewer rather than a cameo that means nothing.

I liked how all the future mutants worked with each other and had a part to play in things, Blink and Warpath, were awesome for me, again both visually exciting and Iceman was the proper Iceman we know at last.

I wanted more from all these characters sure, but thats a good thing, rather than cameos of characters that were pointless.

Its each to their own though I guess, some will not like them because they didnt have many lines and I get that but that wasnt really their purpose for me.
The one I found really useless was Sunspot. When Kitty's group reunited with Storm's group and when they were all talkingg. Kitty mentioned that she used Bishop's consciousness to go back in time, Blink was said to be the one that scouts for their new hideout and Warpath serves as a Sentinel Radar. But Sunspot We wouldn't know his name if Bishop didn't mention his name and he has zero dialogue and I wish he interacted more with his fellow mutants like when it comes to the action.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:07 AM   #14
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
The one I found really useless was Sunspot. When Kitty's group reunited with Storm's group and when they were all talking. Kitty mentioned that she used Bishop's consciousness to go back in time, Blink was said to be the one that scouts for their new hideout and Warpath serves as a Sentinel Radar. But Sunspot We wouldn't know his name if Bishop didn't mention his name and he has zero dialogue and I wish he interacted more with his fellow mutants like when it comes to the action.
Yeah I understand where your coming from but at least he was visually interesting and he was able to power Bishops gun which was a small task but it was something for me, they seemed like a team, not really seen that since X1 to be honest.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:17 AM   #15
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I really think he was added in the film so the Sentinels could copy his power. But the Sentinels also had the powers of Emma/Yuriko and those 2 weren't in the movie.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #16
Rorschach2012
$

Amazing movie. I really hope Hugh stays on for a while. He's only 45, and he looks like he could play the role for another ten years.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #17
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
He wasn't really controlling them as seen when one tried to attack him. He was just pointing them in the direction that he wanted them to attack. All he did was place metal in them to control them. If he wanted them to fire at bystanders, then all he has to do is move their arm and turn their chain guns with his powers. They were still programmed to hunt mutants.
Yeah,thinking back now,it probably made more sense than I originally thought.I really need to see it again.But,It probably could've been made clearer though.

For example,I remember Mags saying "Do what you were programmed for" and the Sentinels attacked Beast and Charles.So I was more under the impression he had reprogrammed them after reading the blueprints.(since they never seemed to attack Mags himself)

Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 AM   #18
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:

Yeah,that's a good explanation.
Only I always thought Hank stood Blue after First Class since the scene with Leech in X3 seemed very poignant,as if he hadn't been "normal" since the early 60's and was tempted to take another step forward and look "normal" for a moment.(DOFP didn't really ruin that.It would be just as long had he last looked "normal" in the early 70's.)But if he kept up looking "normal" until a few years prior to X3,that scene kinda loses it's impact,IMO.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
kasjan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
Both Pyro and Angel are already dead, if you watched X3 and read 25 Moments.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #20
xtianrobi
Side-Kick

Angel's death was the worst.

xtianrobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #21
JLMHodge
Side-Kick

Where does it say that Pyro's dead?

JLMHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #22
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

My review

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/872...re-past-review

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

X-men Days of Future Past
An unbelievable achievement, it's easily the best X-Men film by FAR. It not only give you a well crafted time travel movie, it manages to set rights to all the wrongs in this franchise. This is what Star Trek reboot movies wished it wanted to be. The way they go back to the future and past was handled perfectly. While the story centers solely on Wolverine, Mystique, both Xavier's and Magnetos (which is utterly fantastic), it gives you enough for the other mutants to show off their powers and especially team work. I love the fact we comicbook get another period piece superhero movie, they always hook me in. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender really pushed the envelope with their characters after First Class, it build on it rather than give you the same ol same ol. Mystique is the driving force behind this movie and Jennifer Lawrence did a much better job in this than in First Class. I can't really point out a bad actor in this, they all stepped up their game. Overall this really makes me look forward to the next X-Men films more than ever. This hopefully convinces most fans that this property doesn't need to revert back to Marvel, it's better if it stays with Fox. It's got more than enough characters to go around. Also this and Captain America: TWS just makes Amazing Spider-Man 2 look even worse, while these two films are breaking new ground, Spider-man is still stuck back in the mid 90s. Overall, X-Men DoFP is one of the best movies of the year, I hope I can see it again in the theater.

9.5/10

Old 05-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Nice review Kane, love that poster too, wish it was an official one.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #24
kasjan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMHodge View Post
Where does it say that Pyro's dead?
It's easy to understand his and Juggernaut's bodies were destroyed by Phoenix.
You think someone who only wanted to run away from this place took their bodies? I don't think so.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #25
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Saw it a couple hours ago; great movie. I really liked how I didn't know much about the movie going in thanks to the vague trailer (looks at ASM2).

Also, I can't believe how good Quicksilver was; he was amazing. I'm shocked that a character that was rushed into the movie as a "f*** you" to Marvel Studios was so damn good; Whedon & Johnson have their work cut out from them.

I was a bit skeptical about this movie before release, I thought it'd end up being a cluster f***; but Fox finally has my trust again with three great X-Men movies in a row, I guess X3/Origins were just a little hiccup. I have full confidence in Apocalypse now & I think Fox is closing in on Marvel Studios when it comes to making the best superhero movies....Well when they do X-Men anyway, I'm boycotting Foxtastic Four.

8/10