The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Retroman
Side-Kick

Default Deleted Scenes Thread

Rogue rescue sequence....

Singer on the sequence from Entertainment Weekly.
Quote:
There will be one less mutant in this summer’s highly anticipated X-Men: Days of Future Past, which combines the casts of the original X-Men trilogy with those of 2011′s First Class. Director Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects) has revealed to EW exclusively that a rescue sequence — shot early in the film’s production and featuring Magneto (Ian McKellen), Professor X (Patrick Stewart), Rogue (Anna Paquin), and Iceman (Shawn Ashmore) — has been cut from the final film. Sadly, this means that Rogue’s screen time has been significantly chopped down as well.

“Through the editing process, the sequence became extraneous,” explains Singer. “It’s a really good sequence and it will probably end up on the DVD so people can see it. But like many things in the editing process, it was an embarrassment of riches and it was just one of the things that had to go. Unfortunately, it was the one and only sequence Anna Paquin was in, the Rogue character was in. Even though she’s in the materials and part of the process of making the film, she won’t appear in it.”
Writer Simon Kinberg on the sequence from Collider.com
Quote:
Where it was long was, it was probably about 20 minutes longer, maybe 25 minutes longer if that. Part of it was just the natural fat of, you know, an early cut of a movie versus a final cut of a movie. Things get refined. Part of it was, about ten minutes, I think, of sub-plot with Rogue in it that we cut out of the movie. So that was … the biggest chunk we took out of the film from first cut to final cut was the Rogue plot. And that was the sub-plot that has now been well-publicized, but that I created, not actually to bring Rogue into the movie, though that was a wonderful consequence, but more that I wanted to have, and this was in the early script phase, I wanted a mission for old Charles and old Erik, for Magneto and Xavier to go off on a mission together.
Quote:
Just to see what that would look like. I mean, truly, seriously, it was like, “What would it be like to have Patrick and Ian on a road trip together?” And that was kind of, you know, it got condensed as I wrote it and then when we shot it, but it was just a sub-plot. It was a perfectly good sub-plot and people will see it one day, and Anna was great in it and it was well-directed; it just didn’t serve the overall story. And it didn’t, it never did, it was created outside the core story. As a result, when you watched the movie, you were like, “Why are we on this detour, on a movie that already has two time periods, two types of Sentinels, 10-12 main characters, just as a lark?” And so it ended up getting cut.
SOURCE:http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/12/2...e-anna-paquin/
http://collider.com/x-men-days-of-fu...oUSeb76b0r0.99

Beast and Mystique getting close....

Scarlet Witch....

Simon Kinberg told Total Film that there was going to be a scene that alludes to Wanda. The little girl we see in DOFP is NOT her!

Quote:
“We talked about bringing Scarlet Witch into the mix for this film,” said Kinberg. “Actually, there was a little scene that we shot that we ended up cutting out of the movie that alluded to her. But it was sort of an interstitial scene that didn’t push the movie forward, so it ended up being cut…But [Quicksilver] would absolutely be back for the next X-Men movie.”
SOURCE

Storm's shocking revelation...

Quote:
"But there's something very revealing and shocking about Storm in this movie that I thought was needed. There are some things you find out about her that I think give you much more insight into who she is."
SOURCE:TOTAL FILM Magazine

Anything else?

Last edited by Retroman; 05-23-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Retroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Deleted Scenes Thread

Wasn't theiir a clip where Wolverine met the litle girl?

Also there were some shots in the first trailer with the future X-Men including wolverine look on in terror as lights shown on them, only Storm had that in the final cut.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Figs
Side-Kick

According to Patrick Stewart they cut out a scene he really liked that was simply a tracking shot of him moving across the set in his hover chair.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
kasjan
Side-Kick

There wasn't a scene between Logan and little girl in movie, but we saw her
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
when Maximoff family watched Magneto on TV

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Smilodon
Side-Kick

Going along with the Beast/Mystique moments there was apparently a scene where Raven is at the mansion. In the B-roll footage we can see Logan wake up at the mansion, probably having a dream about Rogue since he says her name (in which the aforementioned cut sequence was happening concurrently most likely) and Hank comes in and tells Logan that Raven is gone.

I also don't remember if we got that shot of Storm looking up channeling lightning.

There are more interactions between Blink and co. and the X-Men. Magneto is threatening Blink and Fan also had more dialogue since it was in her power piece.

There was also a scene where we see Charles walking in the Cerebro halls and it suddenly illuminates. That was a nice scene, I wished they'd kept it, if only for the cinematography.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Great Mind(s)
Broken

The future needed that rescue scene IMO. There was a mission in the original comic that was happening alongside the past storyline...I don't get it

I'd love to see an extended/alternate cut...what's the harm in that? It would only make us fans happier and everyone else richer. DOO IT

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
usagicassidy
Side-Kick

I really don't know HOW they'd do it. Make an "Extended Cut" for DVD/Bluray. I mean I do, but they did all those re-shoots, this is the final mix. They'd have to re-insert major sequences, re-score, finish FX elements. I really would love it though. I feel like I would have enjoyed the movie even more with a little bit of the future stuff put in, including the whole rescue sequence.

usagicassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
bizuk
Side-Kick

- Wolverine and Mystique talking ("cold-hearted *****")

- Mystique posing as Xavier in the Cerebro room

- Wolverine in a bed (from a TV spot - could have been in the B-roll, but I haven't watched that yet)

bizuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post

Storm's shocking revelation...

SOURCE:TOTAL FILM Magazine
Yeah, what could that have been...?

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
Going along with the Beast/Mystique moments there was apparently a scene where Raven is at the mansion. In the B-roll footage we can see Logan wake up at the mansion, probably having a dream about Rogue since he says her name (in which the aforementioned cut sequence was happening concurrently most likely) and Hank comes in and tells Logan that Raven is gone.
Interesting stuff with Raven at the mansion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagicassidy View Post
I really don't know HOW they'd do it. Make an "Extended Cut" for DVD/Bluray. I mean I do, but they did all those re-shoots, this is the final mix. They'd have to re-insert major sequences, re-score, finish FX elements. I really would love it though. I feel like I would have enjoyed the movie even more with a little bit of the future stuff put in, including the whole rescue sequence.
The Wolverine got one so there's hope. *fingers crossed*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizuk View Post
- Wolverine in a bed (from a TV spot - could have been in the B-roll, but I haven't watched that yet)
They aired a 5-minute behind-the-scenes special on tv here and in it there was a brief scene Wolverine in a bed and i think Hank was there too. Forgot to mention that, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Radiation View Post
Yeah, what could that have been...?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
bizuk
Side-Kick

Quote:
They aired a 5-minute behind-the-scenes special on tv here and in it there was a brief scene Wolverine in a bed and i think Hank was there too. Forgot to mention that, thanks.
Just watched the B-roll. Hank comes in and says Mystique's gone, then Wolverine gets up to leave. The bit I saw was in a TV spot and showed Wolverine on the same bed with a cigar, so another scene at the mansion. Just for reference.

Really hope that they do an extended cut like the Wolverine. There's more cut out than I realized!

bizuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
Farren
Side Kicker

I wonder if in an earlier cut Mystique DID go back to the mansion and hear Charles out a bit, and then still left on her own?

Old 05-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
Takato
human?

The little girl isn't The Scarlet Witch, Wanda is meant to be upstairs in her room. So both Wanda and this other girl are cut from the movie (apart from seeing the little girl watching the tv).

Takato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #14
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizuk View Post
Just watched the B-roll. Hank comes in and says Mystique's gone, then Wolverine gets up to leave. The bit I saw was in a TV spot and showed Wolverine on the same bed with a cigar, so another scene at the mansion. Just for reference.

Really hope that they do an extended cut like the Wolverine. There's more cut out than I realized!
I tried to avoid watching any b-roll footage, spots or clips prior to seeing the movie so this all new to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takato View Post
The little girl isn't The Scarlet Witch, Wanda is meant to be upstairs in her room. So both Wanda and this other girl are cut from the movie (apart from seeing the little girl watching the tv).
Really? So, the little girl with red hair and pink outfit isn't Wanda?

Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
Takato
human?

Quote:
I tried to avoid watching any b-roll footage, spots or clips prior to seeing the movie so this all new to me.

Really? So, the little girl with red hair and pink outfit isn't Wanda?
Nope, Bryan said in the same interview that the little girl was told to go see her sister upstairs and the sister makes a comment about Wanda of some kind. I assume she is either Quicksilver's age or closer to it than the age of the little girl.

Takato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #16
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takato View Post
Nope, Bryan said in the same interview that the little girl was told to go see her sister upstairs and the sister makes a comment about Wanda of some kind. I assume she is either Quicksilver's age or closer to it than the age of the little girl.
Well that clears it up then.Thanks.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #17
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

- They also removed a lot of footages that were seen in the trailer like
Close-up shot of Mystique tearing up
Blade runner shot of Wolverine
Iceman and Kitty looking at each other

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

I'm really looking forward to seeing the scene with Rogue in the future with Mageneto and Iceman on the Blu-Ray. Wonder if it would of been too much to show in the beginning or if it might actually add to the horror of the future.

Team Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #19
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

It looks like they completely change what happened to Mystique after the assassination attempt. A lot of the film seemed streamlined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
The future needed that rescue scene IMO. There was a mission in the original comic that was happening alongside the past storyline...I don't get it

I'd love to see an extended/alternate cut...what's the harm in that? It would only make us fans happier and everyone else richer. DOO IT
Where exactly would it have fit? It would have been completely superfluous.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #20
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The rescue scene would make things in the 3rd act messier. In my opinion.

One of the problems I had in the movie is, there were a lot of things happening in the past despite the small roster of characters. Include the complicated/action packed rescue scene and I feel like that would have been too much to the critics especially to the ones that gave it a negative review.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #21
xtianrobi
Side-Kick

If the movie was longer then that rescue scene can be considered but with the little time the movie have I think they made a good decision.

xtianrobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #22
icekid
Side-Kick

It's not just about length, it was about streamlining the story that already had a lot going on, and making it more cohesive, and it WORKED.

icekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:49 AM   #23
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
The rescue scene would make things in the 3rd act messier. In my opinion.

One of the problems I had in the movie is, there were a lot of things happening in the past despite the small roster of characters. Include the complicated/action packed rescue scene and I feel like that would have been too much to the critics especially to the ones that gave it a negative review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekid View Post
It's not just about length, it was about streamlining the story that already had a lot going on, and making it more cohesive, and it WORKED.
Exactly. It isn't about spending time in the future just because we can. It is about the narrative of the story. What needs to be changed is in the past, so once Logan is sent back, the film is about "fixing" what is wrong. There is really nothing to do in the future then add drama, which they did with the attack and Kitty being injured.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #24
Smilodon
Side-Kick

It's hard to argue about the necessity of the cut scenes with the critical reception the movie is receiving. In the end, it looks like it was the right call and I think Singer and co. showed a lot of restraint in not jamming the side mission in along with other future scenes because it takes away from the core of the film. I for one would've loved to see the film in its original entirety but the film was great regardless, and ultimately I am satisfied with what we got.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
Manila Vanilla
Side-Kick

Magneto & Blink

Manila Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote