The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #651
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: Paul Giamatti IS Rhino

The game's story wasn't that great to begin with.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #652
Rise_-
Side-Kick

All of this talk about Rhino in the game makes me wonder...

A Rhino DOES show up in the movie in the cross species Tree of Life hologram...

Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #653
Spider-Aziz
Everything is Batman

Ah well, guess I'm alone here
I still hope for subtlety using Rhino here

Thinking about it; what happened to that guy in the game after getting thrown down in that hole with all that electricity shocking him?

Note to some of the Hype! oldies: Want to take the Lounge back? Come and take it, it's not like there is a territorial battle to win it, it's the land of the free to lounge. Make it multiflavored, make it interesting.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #654
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_- View Post
All of this talk about Rhino in the game makes me wonder...

A Rhino DOES show up in the movie in the cross species Tree of Life hologram...
Oscorp is not all about Biologic stuff,right?

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #655
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Do we really want to see a mutated Rhino where we don't even see Giamatti's face?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #656
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Do we really want to see a mutated Rhino where we don't even see Giamatti's face?
i want the RHINO robot suit stuff

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #657
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
If they turn him into a cross species, I think they'll slightly change his face. Not go to the extreme to make him look like a Rhino hybrid, but they could make him look tougher and meaner with prosthetics.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #658
Rise_-
Side-Kick

Quote:
wat

We could see glimpses of him pre-testing or whatever.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #659
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
i want the RHINO robot suit stuff
Same here.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #660
Spider-Aziz
Everything is Batman

Quote:
He had his face in the game

Note to some of the Hype! oldies: Want to take the Lounge back? Come and take it, it's not like there is a territorial battle to win it, it's the land of the free to lounge. Make it multiflavored, make it interesting.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #661
Oscorp
Side-Kick

A mutated Rhino would be the worst option IMO

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #662
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Is this confirmed? Of all the news thus far, this is the one I'm most intrigued about.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #663
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Paul Giamatti IS confirmed as Rhino, yes.

What isn't confirmed is whether he will be a mutant, a guy in a robotic suit, or how he will play into the villainy of the film overall.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #664
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Since it's already extra stupid that they're even putting Rhino in the movie to begin with AND using Paul Giamatti, I want them to just go for full blown ridiculousness and make a giant rhinocerous/man hybrid with Paul Giamatti's face.

If they're going to choose to use as ridiculous a character as the Rhino, I want them to own it and recognize how goofy it is (Something the Raimi films did very well was self-aware humor).

That's better than trying to make the whole thing seem badass- which is just laughable.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #665
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Since it's already extra stupid that they're even putting Rhino in the movie to begin with AND using Paul Giamatti, I want them to just go for full blown ridiculousness and make a giant rhinocerous/man hybrid with Paul Giamatti's face.

If they're going to choose to use as ridiculous a character as the Rhino, I want them to own it and recognize how goofy it is (Something the Raimi films did very well was self-aware humor).

That's better than trying to make the whole thing seem badass- which is just laughable.

What makes it laughable? Also, Raimi did both - made the characters/tech bad ass while using humor in addressing/naming them.

Why can't they make Rhino (at least it appearance and fights) bad ass, while allowing Spidey to address the self-aware humor of the character?

Also, I'm still very iffy on confirmation of Rhino's role in the film. I see people say it is "confirmed" but I've not seen any such evidence. Can someone point to such a thing?

Last edited by Spider-Who?; 02-05-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #666
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:

wow. I'm really confused as to the point you are trying to make here. That Spider-Man is ridiculous? That Spider-Man can't be badass? That Rhino is ridiculous and that other Spider-Man villains would have been better? And what was that about Paul Giamatti? Why does it matter that they are using him or not?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #667
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
wow. I'm really confused as to the point you are trying to make here. That Spider-Man is ridiculous? That Spider-Man can't be badass? That Rhino is ridiculous and that other Spider-Man villains would have been better? And what was that about Paul Giamatti? Why does it matter that they are using him or not?

Yes, Rhino is ridiculous and instead of trying to make such a cheesy, goofy character come off as badass, they should just own up to the silly comic book nature of the character. (Though if I had my way, Rhino wouldn't be used at all)

It always cracks me up when movies try to take a concept which is so completely absurd and make it "gritty" and "serious". Like that "Rise of the Guardians" movie. Yeah, let's make the Easter Bunny badass.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #668
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Let him think what he wants to.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #669
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post

What makes it laughable? Also, Raimi did both - made the characters/tech bad ass while using humor in addressing/naming them.

Why can't they make Rhino (at least it appearance and fights) bad ass, while allowing Spidey to address the self-aware humor of the character?

Also, I'm still very iffy on confirmation of Rhino's role in the film. I see people say it is "confirmed" but I've not seen any such evidence. Can someone point to such a thing?

Yes, the Raimi films always had their tongue planted firmly in cheek. It made the absurdity go down a bit easier.

It's a little tougher to lighten that blow in a more "serious", "realistic" universe that they're already established with TASM. a mutated rhino-man or a giant robot rhino-man would have been tough to swallow even in the Raimi films.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #670
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Yes, the Raimi films always had their tongue planted firmly in cheek. It made the absurdity go down a bit easier.

It's a little tougher to lighten that blow in a more "serious", "realistic" universe that they're already established with TASM. a mutated rhino-man or a giant robot rhino-man would have been tough to swallow even in the Raimi films.
I won't argue that Rhino is cheesy and I'm concerned how he will be handled. But if they find a way to make him look good (and have Spidey ridicule him), then more power to 'em.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #671
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Yes, Rhino is ridiculous and instead of trying to make such a cheesy, goofy character come off as badass, they should just own up to the silly comic book nature of the character. (Though if I had my way, Rhino wouldn't be used at all)

It always cracks me up when movies try to take a concept which is so completely absurd and make it "gritty" and "serious". Like that "Rise of the Guardians" movie. Yeah, let's make the Easter Bunny badass.
so can you explain to me how they managed to make the following characters look and feel badass and fit into realistic settings?

Oh thats right. Its called creativity and good writing. If you think its impossible for Rhino to be portrayed tastefully youre on the wrong forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #672
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_- View Post
wat

We could see glimpses of him pre-testing or whatever.
Lizard 2.0 then?

Best to keep Rhino different and not just a rhino version of Lizard.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #673
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
so can you explain to me how they managed to make the following characters look and feel badass and fit into realistic settings?

Ehhhh, this is up for debate. Lizard could have still looked better and portrayed better.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #674
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Ehhhh, this is up for debate. Lizard could have still looked better and portrayed better.
Vid doesnt seem to think Lizard was a problem. But that they should change the tone of the movie to tongue-in-cheek humor all because the Rhino isn't worthy of this manner of adaptation.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #675
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:

Oh thats right. Its called creativity and good writing. If you think its impossible for Rhino to be portrayed tastefully youre on the wrong forums.

lol @ finding the most absurd, colorful depictions of each character to try to prove your point.

Let's do a point by point, since that is the standard for internet discussions.

-Whiplash: A pastiche. A completely new character invented by combining other characters together. A failure as far as faithfulness to the source material and a failure as the films generic feature villain. So, no.

-The Lizard: Has never been particularly cheesy. Sure, he's pure comic book pulp, but nowhere on the level of the Rhino. TASM was mostly faithful to the source material with very few changes.

-Bane: A big, strong, muscled mastermind with a mask. Required little deviation from comic to film. Easy for us to suspend our disbelief for a character like this.

Robin: Are you talking about Chris O'donell in Batman & Robin? Because that's the only Dick Grayson I've seen on film. Oh, you Mean John Blake. A completely new character. Yeah, that was a little wink and a nod to audience. Nothing more. That character isn't Robin.

These characters are all human (aside from Lizard) who require very little explanation as far as their abilities or eccentricities go which make accepting them in a "realistic setting" much much easier. No matter how you try with a giant Rhino-man, you'll have crossed the thresh hold into comic book/videogame absurdity. Notice how I've got no complaints about how the Lizard was executed in TASM or even Electro as a villain in TASM2? Because we can more easily suspend disbelief for these types of characters.

Closed Thread