The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #351
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
lol, WB are unpredictable.

Do we have a lounge thread, like Spidey fans have ?
Sadly we don't; hell we don't even have a "Spoilers Only" section/thread like TDKR had for their spoilers so that people can just go into that thread and just read up on what's been reported regarding the film.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #352
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
I'd say the complete opposite. Marvel holds a lot of stuff back from the trailers and the film is often bigger than expected.

That's why almost every Marvel film, including The Avengers, was written off by most people on this website at some stage.
They give away plenty in their campaigns(especially IM2). And with the exception of the Ironman films(which have pretty expository trailers) Most people do write off their films, you're right. Rightly so I'm afraid, looking at Thor and Cap's gross and remembering the films I'm not sure what else marvel could have shown that would have won the hearts and minds of the crowd.(Thor threw everything it had at us).

Of course we're talking PA(post avengers) now. Whedon's changed the entire perspective on marvel. IM3 is a sure thing again, Guardians of the Galaxy is more of a sure thing than JL, a TV show that promises more SHIELD of all things...I remember the perception of shield by the masses not but 2 years ago. Amazing really.

Films with Nolan's name on them are the ones that hold back.

So far with the exception of great photography and tone, MoS has shown much less than say Thor at the same time frame. I hope WB ramps it up. All things being equal, Cap made it's footage debut with the superbowl.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #353
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
lol; i made a bet about a week or two ago saying that I was confident that we wouldn't' be getting anything new of real good quality within the remainder of January, and lo and behold, someone from above must have heard it and decided to make Warner Bros. release those new batch of images not long after.haha
Quick, make another bet declaring they won't release anything between now and February 1st!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #354
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Something I've been thinking about is how most superhero films stick to the same formula of a villain introduced and the hero ultimately coming out on top. I think TDK stands out because of the ending where Batman is vilified.

I think MOS can go it's own way with this and really explore Earth at first contact. The fear and hysteria involved. It's good that Superman lore already has the Daily Planet reporters ingrained in it to cover that angle.

The Avengers really did not go for the human angle. It felt like an externalized view on all the main events. And then they had a montage of the fallout with everyone happy for their new flying green rage monster hero. Same for like Thor. The events and just having those larger-than-life characters around seems completely inconsequential to the rest of the world.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #355
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Something I've been thinking about is how most superhero films stick to the same formula of a villain introduced and the hero ultimately coming out on top. I think TDK stands out because of the ending where Batman is vilified.
I think Raimi covered this in a few forms with the Spiderman series.

Quote:
The Avengers really did not go for the human angle. It felt like an externalized view on all the main events. And then they had a montage of the fallout with everyone happy for their new flying green rage monster hero. Same for like Thor. The events and just having those larger-than-life characters around seems completely inconsequential to the rest of the world.
The first time the audience witnessed this sort of treatment of the hulk and people can't figure out what the magic formula was to making him work...

Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #356
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
Well, that definitely sounds like it would be in a Superman movie. If you're telling the truth, I appreciate that you've shared the info with me. Is that all that you know?
They are no longer together so I only know the scenes she filmed. I was never that close to her husband. I'm not even sure what will make the final cut.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #357
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I think Raimi covered this in a few forms with the Spiderman series.
True yeah. Although he was very quickly accepted in the first movie. People may have been opposed to him but there was a montage straight away of people singing about him and stuff. Plus the whole thing with the Bugle constantly slamming him seemed to be played more for comedic purposes than serious. It's just the more comicbooky tone again though. It certainly wasn't how NY or the rest of the world would react if a superhero did show up.

Quote:
The first time the audience witnessed this sort of treatment of the hulk and people can't figure out what the magic formula was to making him work...
Not sure what you mean here.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #358
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
True yeah. Although he was very quickly accepted in the first movie. People may have been opposed to him but there was a montage straight away of people singing about him and stuff. Plus the whole thing with the Bugle constantly slamming him seemed to be played more for comedic purposes than serious. It's just the more comicbooky tone again though. It certainly wasn't how NY or the rest of the world would react if a superhero did show up.
It definitely was more "comicbooky" strangely enough it's simply another instance that nolan didn't do it first we often forget. Alot of heroes aren't celebrated in their respective films. From Hulk to Punisher to Blade to even Spiderman. Perhaps nolan just did it the best...or at least on the best stage.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here.
Sorry, I just noted that everyone always talks about the big strange miracle that is the Hulk working in Avengers and the actor playing him being the best one yet. The reality being there are a few things going on, that the executives really only have themselves to blame for. Such as Hulk being a big celebrated superhero in a movie for once.
Kids like that.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #359
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
The typical superhero paradigm presents an unusual protagonist (and possibly an unusual villain) set within a real and familiar context. I would suggest this is “classic” - and is the genre at its best and most accessible. So, start loading up on the heroes in an ensemble story, and then add an ensemble of supervillains - battling it out in a weird sci-fi/fantasy scenario - and there’s less and less of the real and familiar, less of the original archetypal elements that give the tales their charm. Recipe for failure.

The only problem with my insightful theory is the fact that Avengers made $1.5B.

So apparently, not going for the “human angle” and focusing on the fantastical can work very well.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #360
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
It definitely was more "comicbooky" strangely enough it's simply another instance that nolan didn't do it first we often forget. Alot of heroes aren't celebrated in their respective films. From Hulk to Punisher to Blade to even Spiderman. Perhaps nolan just did it the best...or at least on the best stage.
Well I'd say TDK had Batman willfully own responsibility of murders to coverup Dent. It's a lot more deeper having the protagonist take on a lie and sacrifice his own rep willingly for the 'greater good'. In comparison, J.J Jonah just hates Spider-Man...

Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #361
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
The typical superhero paradigm presents an unusual protagonist (and possibly an unusual villain) set within a real and familiar context. I would suggest this is “classic” - and is the genre at its best and most accessible. So, start loading up on the heroes in an ensemble story, and then add an ensemble of supervillains - battling it out in a weird sci-fi/fantasy scenario - and there’s less and less of the real and familiar, less of the original archetypal elements that give the tales their charm. Recipe for failure.

The only problem with my insightful theory is the fact that Avengers made $1.5B.

So apparently, not going for the “human angle” and focusing on the fantastical can work very well.
You're exactly right. And it's because of the more airy fairy tone of the Avengers that it actually made it work. Everything was just colorful, and explosions, and Hulk. People could already implant what they knew about the colorful characters from the previous Marvel films which deepened it immensely. Everything was already built and put in place for them to just play with. It's definitely a luxury JL won't have.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #362
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well I'd say TDK had Batman willfully own responsibility of murders to coverup Dent. It's a lot more deeper having the protagonist take on a lie and sacrifice his own rep willingly for the 'greater good'. In comparison, J.J Jonah just hates Spider-Man...
That's true. However in walking that plot line Nolan opened himself to one of the more discussed plot contrivances around.
(why not just blame joker..or any one else for dent).

I'm never a fan of this but after reading the novelization of SM2, I'd say Johah's hatred of spiderman is alot more grounded than simply that. If anything it's justified. In a little dinner scene between JJ and MJ and his son(her husband). JJ pretty much outlines the fact that Lawyers and their ilk don't get to wear masks, if they did their jobs would be alot easier.

It's an interesting point you make though. It could be argued that the fact that spidey didn't willingly choose to be hated makes his course a more tragic one. In a good spiderman movie, it's not just JJ that hates him.
I also forgot to mention the Xmen seem to be hated as well.

If the producers of MoS take a similar road with superman I hope they tread lightly, it's not really the way the character was conceived.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #363
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's true. However in walking that plot line Nolan opened himself to one of the more discussed plot contrivances around.
(why not just blame joker..or any one else for dent).
Exactly.

And this is because he and his writers...they just didn't think some of the "dramatic" aspects of the franchise through very much.

Nolan kind of missed the whole point regarding Harvey Dent's eventual impact on Gotham City. Actually he kind of missed the whole point of "Two-Face".

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 01-31-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #364
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Non-MoS but Superman related, they released the trailer for Superman Unbound.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #365
king666
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
John Noble as Brainiac. Awesome.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #366
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Looks awesome!! when does it come out?

and Kara is so pretty!!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #367
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Exactly.

And this is because he and his writers...they just didn't think some of the "dramatic" aspects of the franchise through very much.

Nolan kind of missed the whole point regarding Harvey Dent's eventual impact on Gotham City. Actually he kind of missed the whole point of "Two-Face".
In their defense(surprisingly), I would say that their intent was good(batman should be hated imo).

Also I think it marked a that sign producers were thinking of one film at a time as opposed to an entire list of episodes(ala marvel studios). Yielding one of the more coveted cbms around.

I agree that it showed a lack of thought. I'm not even sure Dent had two personalities, rather that he was just angry and short sighted. But, after begins I never really expected accurate characterization from Nolan's direction. Snyder on the other hand, I very much do.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #368
Marvin
Side-Kick

Someone explain to me how Superman Unbound is different from just another animated brainiac story?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #369
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Someone explain to me how Superman Unbound is different from just another animated brainiac story?
The voices, the designs, the story, the source material, the runtime, the artwork on the cover, the release date, the crew, probably some more stuff.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #370
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

It's an actual adaption of Geoff Johns Superman: Brainiac instead of a spin off of the animated series...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #371
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

All I hear is Walter Bishop when Brainiac speaks

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #372
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Denethor for me.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #373
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

At first I wasn't sure if it was going to be good. Then, I saw how awesome Brainiac was in the trailer and now my interest level shot way up.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #374
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Denethor for me.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #375
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I highly doubt MOS will have a higher quantity of action scenes than TDK. I'll believe it when I see it.
TDK was just as bland in its action as the other films in the series. Superman deserves more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Really? Last I checked TDK had like, 3 climaxes rolled into one movie. That thing just did not stop for the last hour. It's exhausting to watch it.
Exhausting for you, boring for me. Probably more so because all the released clips showcased all of the "action" (aside from the swat fight), so I went in expecting more and was disappointed. TDKR's trailers spoiled most of the action and neat things like the stadium and bridges collapsing, so nothing was a moment of "whoa".

I'd prefer if the next trailers for MoS show very little quite honestly; I want to go into a Superman film of all things and be awed.

My LEGO Gallery
Closed Thread