The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #976
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

So. Let's say the marketing does intensify, and the film is marketed everywhere mid April to release date. How much do you think this could make it's opening weekend. Some say 100 million, but i'm not so sure.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #977
Simo
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

Well I've been gone for 3 days so have we already talked about how the Super Bowl was a huge missed opportunity for MOS to start it's advertising? Especially when over 108 million viewers on average in the US alone watched it, Twitter feeds for the game had 231,500 tweets per minute with a total of 22.1 million Tweets about the game & halftime show (does *not* include conversation about commercials).

If we've gone over this then apologies and move right along, I won't bother with the rest of the statistics. :P

Last edited by Simo; 02-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #978
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. View Post
Snyder strikes me as the kind of guy who can adopt to different styles of directing rather easily. His direction change from Dawn of the Dead to 300 made it feel like different directors entirely. Since 300 was such a success, he employed the same signature touches in Watchmen and then Sucker Punch which was a fumble.

Now looking at Man of Steel I'd never guess it was a Zack Snyder film if I didn't already know it was his. He's a very talented director and has an amazing eye for good shots. Despite coming across in a very "down to earth" manner in interviews, I sense he's quite an intelligent man. Not Nolan levels of intellect, but smarter than most people directing superhero flicks.

Snyder gets the most out of his budget that's for sure and he knows how to shoot action/fight scenes and definitely has a visionary eye when it comes to visuals.

Him teaming with Mokri, his cinematographer on MOS is a win IMO.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #979
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

The film looks shot really well...I love the look of the film. It leaves a guy in awe

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #980
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Well I've been gone for 3 days so have we already talked about how the Super Bowl was a huge missed opportunity for MOS to start it's advertising? Especially when over 108 million viewers on average in the US alone, Twitter feed for the game had 231,500 tweets per minute with a total of 22.1 million Tweets about the game & halftime show (does *not* include conversation about commercials).

If we've gone over this then apologies and move right along, I won't bother with the rest of the statistics. :P
Considering how much WB keeps talking about the stakes involved with this one film. You would think a SB spot wouldn't hurt.

A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #981
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Curious;

Is anyone here kind of worried that some of the action scenes in the film, mainly the ones involving Superman taking on Zod and his forces, may come off looking very fake in the sense where the amount of effects used could come off looking a bit over the top to the point where it takes you out of the moment? Especially given Snyder's previous works with 300 and Watchmen?
A little bit, yeah. That shot in the trailer of Clark surrounded by flames at the oil rig looks really stylized and dissimilar to the rest of the trailer.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #982
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

I'm not worried about it at all, Clark swathed in flames was one of the coolest shots of the trailer, as long as the physics seems genuine (for example, if Zod tears off a chunk of a building and hurls it at Superman, I want to really get a sense of the weight of it), I'm happy.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #983
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
I'm not worried about it at all, Clark swathed in flames was one of the coolest shots of the trailer, as long as the physics seems genuine (for example, if Zod tears off a chunk of a building and hurls it at Superman, I want to really get a sense of the weight of it), I'm happy.
I don't know if you'd really get a sense of the weight of a chunk of the building especially with it being thrown by a super powered being.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #984
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the shot of him where he's literally on fire. I'm referring to the one where he's clearly straining himself to do something.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #985
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the shot of him where he's literally on fire. I'm referring to the one where he's clearly straining himself to do something.
the shot where he is lifting the X beam or whatever you wanna call it....I'm shocked that it seems like he is having a hard time lifting the girder up and holding it...but it's a helluva shot indeed

Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #986
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
easy there. in 2011 the movie was budgeted. the money was locked. when they finish talk about the budget they have everything on paper. how long it will take to make the movie. the only way filming and post production is extended is when the director or studio make a choice. a choice.
there is ZERO chance that MOS will be in post production from 2011 until 2013. it will not even be from januar 2012 to may 2013. i agree that MOS was not rushed. its hard to find a blockbuster movie in the last 5 years that was not rushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
the shot where he is lifting the X beam or whatever you wanna call it....I'm shocked that it seems like he is having a hard time lifting the girder up and holding it...but it's a helluva shot indeed

I think that proves this incarnation of S won't be as strong as a god lol. I think he will be a bit stronger than superman was in the animated Timm series

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #987
robmx522
Banned User

just think of the money shots we haven't seen!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #988
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post

I think that proves this incarnation of S won't be as strong as a god lol. I think he will be a bit stronger than superman was in the animated Timm series
I agree...I don't think he will be as strong in the past movies. Which is kinda welcomed but then I'm just wondering about what his strength level will actually be. I know those things are huge but you would think that Superman would have no issue lifting one of those girders up

Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #989
robmx522
Banned User

i wanna see superman flying towards earth kinda like the guy did on immortals that was a cool shot!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #990
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I agree...I don't think he will be as strong in the past movies. Which is kinda welcomed but then I'm just wondering about what his strength level will actually be. I know those things are huge but you would think that Superman would have no issue lifting one of those girders up
Maybe the girder is connected to a bigger part of the platform ? Idk maybe it's more than just a girder.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #991
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
A little bit, yeah. That shot in the trailer of Clark surrounded by flames at the oil rig looks really stylized and dissimilar to the rest of the trailer.
It could be because, I'm just guessing here, everything except Clark & the girder in that shot is VFX. We all saw the pictures of them filming the oil rig helipad scene in Vancouver. The set was pretty simple and sparse, with some green screen backing. The sky, smoke, cinder, and heat distortion elements are all digital.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #992
McLarenMP4
Side-Kick

I hope we don't get inconsistent power levels in this movie because I would have thought a young Clark lifting a school bus out of water would require more strength than holding just an oil rig support girder.
I think what we'll end up seeing is him holding more than just the support beam, it might be that he's holding up a huge section of the rig long enough for the helicopter to take off. The rest of it will be done by CGI and it'll just be for the closeup scenes that they filmed with the helicopter and extra's and Supes holding the beam.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #993
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenMP4 View Post
I hope we don't get inconsistent power levels in this movie because I would have thought a young Clark lifting a school bus out of water would require more strength than holding just an oil rig support girder.
I think what we'll end up seeing is him holding more than just the support beam, it might be that he's holding up a huge section of the rig long enough for the helicopter to take off. The rest of it will be done by CGI and it'll just be for the closeup scenes that they filmed with the helicopter and extra's and Supes holding the beam.
Most likely how it'll go down ^. And then the explosion knocks him underwater and he goes unconscious. Just like shots of him underwater with metal shrapnel around him in the trailer

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #994
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Maybe the girder is connected to a bigger part of the platform ? Idk maybe it's more than just a girder.
I'd imagine so...It HAS to be a larger section than what we have seen

Quote:
I don't think we will have inconsistent power levels. As you said, it's probably a MUCH LARGER section than just the girder we saw in the set photos that were leaked...

Quote:
Most likely how it'll go down ^. And then the explosion knocks him underwater and he goes unconscious. Just like shots of him underwater with metal shrapnel around him in the trailer

That's how I imagined it would be....he's holding up that section long enough for the helicopter to take off and then there is an explosion and it knocks him into the ocean. I can't wait to see how it all plays out

Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #995
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I'm glad Weta Digital is only doing the first portion of the film. I think they're a little overrated. They might fit the Kryptonian stuff but I'm glad the Superman stuff will be left to somone else. I think MPC is underrated. I hope they handle that more than Double Negative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
MPC is probably doing the digital doubles for Superman and Zod (like the bank vault sequence). Double Negative is probably handling the flight elements, like they did with TDKR's action climax (their work on that was very impressive).
When was all this revealed? I knew about WETA, but I didn't know Double Negative (Nolan's effects house of choice) was involved. And I don't think I've even heard of MPC?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #996
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
It could be because, I'm just guessing here, everything except Clark & the girder in that shot is VFX. We all saw the pictures of them filming the oil rig helipad scene in Vancouver. The set was pretty simple and sparse, with some green screen backing. The sky, smoke, cinder, and heat distortion elements are all digital.
I know. All I'm saying is, regardless of the reason, it looks inconsistent with the rest of what we saw. I'm not too worried about it. Like you said - pretty much everything in that shot was VFX. Also, being surrounded by fire to the extent that he is in that shot would probably look something like that in real life, now that I think about it.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #997
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Old, but interesting. Peter Rubin, the artist who designed the MOS emblem...

http://filmsketchr.blogspot.com/2011...lks-about.html

Quote:
Q: What can we expect next from you?

Well, Man of Steel comes out in 2013. I've left some fingerprints on that. I spent nine months working with Alex on the details of Krypton. Like I said, he's a thinker... for him, it was all about the aesthetic and the culture of these aliens - characters that everybody thinks they already know, which made it all the more challenging. He was very particular, which drove me to work hard to try master the style he had in mind. It stretched me, and I think we did some new and interesting things, both from a visual point of view and also technologically, within the process. Zack is a strong director, too, and I'm very excited by what he's bringing to the story. What we did behind the scenes is going to have repercussions in the business, and on screen it's going to knock people's socks off, in my opinion.

I'm a huge Superman fan going back to childhood, and so was very, very glad to be a part of it. I got some amazing design opportunities. For one, I was asked to design the new "S" insignia, the one that Henry Cavill is wearing in all those leaked on-set photos. I've been drawing that in one version or another since I was four years old. I was hitting in the sweet spot, and it felt like one of the high points of my career as a designer. There were some interesting struggles associated with it - I'll tell that story someday.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #998
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know. All I'm saying is, regardless of the reason, it looks inconsistent with the rest of what we saw. I'm not too worried about it. Like you said - pretty much everything in that shot was VFX. Also, being surrounded by fire to the extent that he is in that shot would probably look something like that in real life, now that I think about it.
The film has 3 or more visual effects companies working on it so inconsistencies are a possibility. One person does go around overseeing it but there may be a gap in talent as each company is commissioned to do different parts of the film.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #999
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Maybe the oil rig scene is the first time he's used his powers in years. It might be the equivilant of a normal human lifting weights after months off from the gym.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #1000
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I'm pretty sure it's more akin to riding a bicycle. I highly doubt Superman would lose his strength or forget how to fly.

Closed Thread