The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #151
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

I read someone say that they this will be like a combination of Superman 1 and 2, Batman Begins, and The Avengers. Do you guys think this will turn out to be accurate? After thinking it over a bit I do think it may end up being a pretty good characterization of what the film will end up being. It will have:

The origin story aspect of Superman from Superman 1, the Zod and Faora invasion of Superman 2, the psychological study, serious tone, realism aspect of Batman Begins, and the action and SFX of The Avengers.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #152
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - P

I'm just hoping that MOS isn't afraid to do what Marvel and some other comic book films have seemingly been reluctant to do as of late and actually show the tragedies that take place in the events of the film that are resulted from the ensuing crossfire and attack from the film's main antagonist.

Especially for Marvel, it seems like they're afraid to show civilians being harmed since with their films as of late, we only see people just running around and screaming and it's really just the soldiers or civil workers that are shown to actually take the hit or get attacked.

I think that in order to help show on how lucky the people of the film's universe were from having their said heroes there to finally stop the villain, they should definitely show like a preview of what terrible things would have happened to everyone if the hero wasn't there to begin with.

I also hope that zod attacking Earth isn't just out of result of him wanting to get even with Kal-el since I'm not the biggest fan of the idea that the crap that Zod causes on Earth is just because of Clark being in existence; that would somewhat imply that if Clark wasn't there then Zod wouldn't have gone there and the people that were killed or the damage that was done wouldn't have happened if that were the case.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #153
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I read someone say that they this will be like a combination of Superman 1 and 2, Batman Begins, and The Avengers. Do you guys think this will turn out to be accurate? After thinking it over a bit I do think it may end up being a pretty good characterization of what the film will end up being. It will have:

The origin story aspect of Superman from Superman 1, the Zod and Faora invasion of Superman 2, the psychological study, serious tone, realism aspect of Batman Begins, and the action and SFX of The Avengers.
Kinda, yeah. Origin from StM, Zod and a female sidekick from SII, tone and character study of BB and alien invasion from Avengers. Or, more accurately, all of the above taken from good Superman comics.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #154
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post

That seems somewhat accurate; and not to mention that with Zod having his own personal army and alien weaponry at his disposal, it'll definitely have the alien invasion factor into it that the Avengers had; I just hope that it's better executed when shown on screen for MOS.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #155
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'm just hoping that MOS isn't afraid to do what Marvel and some other comic book films have seemingly been reluctant to do as of late and actually show the tragedies that take place in the events of the film that are resulted from the ensuing crossfire and attack from the film's main antagonist.

Especially for Marvel, it seems like they're afraid to show civilians being harmed since with their films as of late, we only see people just running around and screaming and it's really just the soldiers or civil workers that are shown to actually take the hit or get attacked.

I think that in order to help show on how lucky the people of the film's universe were from having their said heroes there to finally stop the villain, they should definitely show like a preview of what terrible things would have happened to everyone if the hero wasn't there to begin with.

I also hope that zod attacking Earth isn't just out of result of him wanting to get even with Kal-el since I'm not the biggest fan of the idea that the crap that Zod causes on Earth is just because of Clark being in existence; that would somewhat imply that if Clark wasn't there then Zod wouldn't have gone there and the people that were killed or the damage that was done wouldn't have happened if that were the case.
I'm sure most or all of the above will be addressed properly. This ain't Marvel and this ain't bad-WB (for this movie only).

Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #156
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

@Mr. Dent That combination right there, ideally is the recipe for a major hit. Lets hope it worked out as well as it does on paper (I personally think it is).

By the way I'm not one that thinks that if MOS does incredibly high numbers that it will give WB more confidence to make a JL film in fact I think it will do the opposite (for the best) and have them stick with putting all their efforts on making this a successful (if not more so) trilogy than that of Nolan's Batman series .

It would technically be the safer move as it has already proven to be financially viable and it would also allow them more time to actually get their heads out of the gutter and think of a more fleshed out Justice League proposal with someone who's truly in love with that particular series and characters and will dedicate themselves in taking the best of the Justice League and appropriate it onto film.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB

Last edited by craigdbfan; 01-30-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #157
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
By the way I'm not one that thinks that if MOS does incredibly high numbers that it will give WB more confidence to make a JL film in fact I think it will do the opposite (for the best) and have them stick with putting all their efforts on making this a successful (if not more so) trilogy than that of Nolan's Batman series .
That is EXACTLY how I interpreted the "WB waits for MoS BO grosses" news. Like, EXACTLY.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #158
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I don't think so. They know that there is a certain window of opportunity here and if they wait much longer than 2015 to put out a JL movie they will have missed a very pivotal cycle. If this does well I think we'll see an official JL announcement within 3 weeks of the OW.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #159
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
@Mr. Dent That combination right there, ideally is the recipe for a major hit. Lets hope it worked out as well as it does on paper (I personally think it is).

It would technically be the safer move as it has already proven to be financially viable and it would also allow them more time to actually get their heads out of the gutter and think of a more fleshed out Justice League proposal with someone who's truly in love with that particular series and characters and will dedicate themselves in taking the best of the Justice League and appropriate it onto film.
Oh god I hope hope hope so...

You're right. If Justice League bombs it will stink up their entire stable of DC properties in one move. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash. All ruined (GL doesn't change much ). Why would they risk that? Is greed and Avengers envy really enough to lose it all.

Even 2016 is super ambitious for this project. And the worst thing is Disney/Marvel/Paramount basically showed them how to do it properly. You establish each core hero individually and properly, cause let's face it Wonder Woman and Flash deserve (and need) their own film. Giving them a timely economic 10 min introduction in JL is a major disservice to them.

I just want a MOS trilogy equal if not better than the TDK trilogy. Completely uninterrupted by any JL nonsense. It's all I wish for.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #160
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
That is EXACTLY how I interpreted the "WB waits for MoS BO grosses" news. Like, EXACTLY.
You know how the saying goes. Great minds think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Oh god I hope hope hope so...

You're right. If Justice League bombs it will stink up their entire stable of DC properties in one move. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash. All ruined (GL doesn't change much ). Why would they risk that? Is greed and Avengers envy really enough to lose it all.

Even 2016 is super ambitious for this project. And the worst thing is Disney/Marvel/Paramount basically showed them how to do it properly. You establish each core hero individually and properly, cause let's face it Wonder Woman and Flash deserve (and need) their own film. Giving them a timely economic 10 min introduction in JL is a major disservice to them.

I just want a MOS trilogy equal if not better than the TDK trilogy. Completely uninterrupted by any JL nonsense. It's all I wish for.
Gah perfectly noted. You get it completely.

A prologue (which Green Lantern also tried and botched horribly) trying to encompass the entire leagues reason for existing is such a cop out. That doesn't have an ounce of resonance or emotional buildup each of these great characters deserve. Marvel borrowed from the 90's DC animation team playbook way of character and franchise building yet DC/WB were still late to the punch.

WB could still follow that basic outline (which they more or less created) and still make very different movies from Marvel and even come up with a different way to bridge these characters into the Justice League. That's not copying but using common sense when it comes to writing. What's a climax without buildup? Absolutely nothing as it will be a hollow shell lacking any depth, history and emotional impact.

Cross pollination is a great tool for making something like the Justice League eventually come to life. People constantly bring out the excuse that it would be considered as "copying" Marvel's plan but honestly whichever way WB/DC decide to go it will always be called that by some. How about they take the more reasonable approach and actually give each of these characters a fair shot of earning their place in the Justice League and gaining audiences awe, attention and money by creating something that will be both a victory for WB/DC and fans as a financial and artistic triumph.

We're on the same wavelength fellas.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #161
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
You know how the saying goes. Great minds think alike.

Gah perfectly noted. You get it completely.

A prologue (which Green Lantern also tried and botched horribly) trying to encompass the entire leagues reason for existing is such a cop out. That doesn't have an ounce of resonance or emotional buildup each of these great characters deserve. Marvel borrowed from the 90's DC animation team playbook way of character and franchise building yet DC/WB were still late to the punch.

WB could still follow that basic outline (which they more or less created) and still make very different movies from Marvel and even come up with a different way to bridge these characters into the Justice League. That's not copying but using common sense when it comes to writing. What's a climax without buildup? Absolutely nothing as it will be a hollow shell lacking any depth, history and emotional impact.

Cross pollination is a great tool for making something like the Justice League eventually come to life. People constantly bring out the excuse that it would be considered as "copying" Marvel's plan but honestly whichever way WB/DC decide to go it will always be called that by some. How about they take the more reasonable approach and actually give each of these characters a fair shot of earning their place in the Justice League and gaining audiences awe, attention and money by creating something that will be both a victory for WB/DC and fans as a financial and artistic triumph.

We're on the same wavelength fellas.

As I mentioned in another thread as well; one of the major points for creating "Man of Steel" is to show a Modern Day audience that the character can work in today's society.

It's already been proven by Nolan's efforts that, when done right, Batman's character can work as well.

However, the other Core Justice League Members haven't had that luxury and they really haven't had the best means to prove that their characters can work with audiences today on the big screen.

Going into a major film where you risk endangering your only given sure success at the time of its creation (Henry's Superman) is a very dumb move and if the studio heads feel that some of these characters can't work on their own, then what on God's good green earth makes them think that they could make them work within a JLA project?

The Hulk working in "The Avengers" and not so much in his solo films wasn't because he was in a ensemble film, but more because he was written better as a character and used better than his last two solo films.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #162
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
The Hulk working in "The Avengers" and not so much in his solo films wasn't because he was in a ensemble film, but more because he was written better as a character and used better than his last two solo films.
YES! I wish Marvel would get that. A good Hulk movie would wipe the floor with all the other heroes' solo flicks. They just don't know what to do with the Hulk. Joss does.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #163
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I still dont agree that the solo-film build-up is the only proper way to do JL.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #164
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I always thought a reverse-MCU approach would be the best. JL first, solos later. But leave MoS alone!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #165
Smallville13
Side-Kick

I still think the best argument against JL is how much is lost when you have this kind of world-building by Snyder:

And then try and shoehorn Cyborg and Green Lantern into it. How much is taken away.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #166
titansupes
Side-Kick

^That all sounds really great. *me being included*

EDIT: The JL stuff and the STM/SII/BB/TA cross making up MoS, I mean.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #167
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
I always thought a reverse-MCU approach would be the best. JL first, solos later. But leave MoS alone!
Pretty much this, yeah.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #168
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
I still think the best argument against JL is how much is lost when you have this kind of world-building by Snyder:

And then try and shoehorn Cyborg and Green Lantern into it. How much is taken away.
I dont understand. Why wouldnt they fit in? Saying that is just a lack of vision imo. But yeah, Cyborg should just not be included in any case.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #169
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
YES! I wish Marvel would get that. A good Hulk movie would wipe the floor with all the other heroes' solo flicks. They just don't know what to do with the Hulk. Joss does.
I think they do understand that, don't they? I could've sworn after Avengers release, someone (probably Fiege? He was basically a full-fledged star around that time) was saying he thinks the key to the Hulk bettering his previous incarnations was the humour, him being less self-involved etc. And they just wanted to bide their time rather than potentially souring everyone's renewed love of him with a rushed solo movie.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #170
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I dont understand. Why wouldnt they fit in? Saying that is just a lack of vision imo. But yeah, Cyborg should just not be included in any case.
It's just the realism that Snyder has really brought across to this. Then how far removed that would be when suddenly there's harpy's and minotaurs running around for WW to fight. And some ridiculous 80's African-American Robocop rip-off. And association with that Green Lantern 2011 muck. I just don't want it associated with the MOS world that's all. I just fear for MOS2 and 3.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #171
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I think they do understand that, don't they? I could've sworn after Avengers release, someone (probably Fiege? He was basically a full-fledged star around that time) was saying he thinks the key to the Hulk bettering his previous incarnations was the humour, him being less self-involved etc. And they just wanted to bide their time rather than potentially souring everyone's renewed love of him with a rushed solo movie.
From what I've heard there are no plans whatsoever. If they announce it for Phase 3... who knows. I think they're just playing it safe: "Hulk worked in an ensemble film, we should wait till A2". Which sounds exactly like Marvel.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #172
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's just the realism that Snyder has really brought across to this. Then how far removed that would be when suddenly there's harpy's and minotaurs running around for WW to fight. And some ridiculous 80's African-American Robocop rip-off. And association with that Green Lantern 2011 muck. I just don't want it associated with the MOS world that's all. I just fear for MOS2 and 3.
Correct, sir.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #173
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Looks mostly like BB to me. On a side note, I know someone who did some of the effects for the film and he isn't too impressed with the movie from what he has seen. Says it's too dark and slow for a Superman film and resembles Ang Lee's Hulk. It's just one person's opinion but it's a little concerning. I hope they find room to balance the dark with some light hearted and fun moments in this film. Snyder isn't really known for making the audience laugh though.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #174
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
I agree. Keep JL as far away as possible from the MOS-sequels. Well, actually a small nod to JL in MOS3 would be fine as long as it doesnt interfere too much.

And I understand your protectiveness towards what Snyder and co are building. It would be a damn shame to F it up especially if half-assed or malplaced. It would require a focused effort from the writers, but I'm sure it's theoretically possible to do to JL what's being done to MOS. Characters like WW and GL would have to be somewhat changed and written carefully, and it would probably require an open mind from diehard fans. And it would probably also require getting back both Goyer and Nolan for the continuity and such, which might not be a very realistic scenario. But theoretically it should be possible.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #175
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
Looks mostly like BB to me. On a side note, I know someone who did some of the effects for the film and he isn't too impressed with the movie from what he has seen. Says it's too dark and slow for a Superman film and resembles Ang Lee's Hulk. It's just one person's opinion but it's a little concerning. I hope they find room to balance the dark with some light hearted and fun moments in this film. Snyder isn't really known for making the audience laugh though.
*****, don't you dare say that.

Closed Thread