The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #351
kguillou
Side-Kick

Default Re: Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 2

Not to get too far off track but MAN would I love to read some of marvel studios' scripts. I imagine they'll never release whedon's avengers script, but just for curiousity's sake I would love to read penn's original screenplay.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #352
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Screw that, I'd wish that Whedon WW script Ultimatehero talked about was leaked. I would love to read that one, plus the Mulroneys' JL: Mortal script.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #353
kguillou
Side-Kick

I know right? Now that Whedon is Marvel's golden boy there's no way he's still going to be involved with that movie so they might as well release it! I mean come on. They just released two lost Superman screenplays, they might as well release that one as well.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #354
Rorschach2012
$

The more I think about it, the more I want to see John Blake again.. I dunno if I want to see him as Batman per se..

But I really wish Bruce hadn't retired so we could get a proper Nolan Batman and Robin.

JGL really is a perfect casting choice for Robin, if he hadnt been John Blake, hes easily who I'd cast as Dick Grayson.

How cool would it have been to see Robin John Blake in a somewhat traditional Nolanized Robin suit fighting alongside Bale's Batman... nerdgasm

I wouldn't hate JGL as Batman in Justice League.
I'd just rather see a Batman and Robin film with JGL and Bale

Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #355
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

Millar's opinion on the Justice League movie from scifinow.co.uk:

Justice League film is “a good way to lose $200 million”

by James Hoare, 5 February 2013

Fox’s superhero guru Mark Millar on why the Justice League movie just won’t work

It’s no secret that every studio with an in-house batch of caped crusaders is looking to the miracle Disney and Marvel Studios performed with Marvel Phase 1 and Joss Whedon’s Avengers Assemble.

But while 20th Century Fox and their superhero creative consultant Mark Millar have a fairly easy job catching up – all the X-Men and Wolverine movies are part of the same world anyway, while Deadpool and Fantastic Four are being rebooted – for DC the job is much, much harder.

“I actually think the big problem for them is the characters are just too out of date,” said Millar, talking exclusively to SciFiNow. “The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they’re in a really weird time.”

Warner Bros and DC plan to follow up Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, Man Of Steel, with a Justice League movie – their direct answer to Avengers Assemble – that will unite all the big name characters in the line. Due for release in 2015, directly opposite the Avengers sequel, Millar reckons that it can’t be done and it’s the iconic nature of their biggest name characters that’s the real problem.

“Now the stuff I grew up with… I adored the DC stuff growing up but really, how do you do a movie about Green Lantern,” asks Millar, “his power is that he manifests green plasma from his imagination and uses them as weapons against someone? Even that in itself if you just imagine then watching a fight scene with a guy who’s like a hundred feet away making plasma manifestations fight someone – it’s not exactly raucous, getting up close and personal.

“The Flash has door handles on the side of his mask and if he doesn’t wear that mask, I’ll be pissed off, you know what I mean? They’re in a weird, weird situation – if you’ve got a guy who moves at the speed of light up against the Weather Wizard and Captain Cold or whatever, then your movie’s over in two seconds.

“You can get away with stuff in comics that in live action’s just a bit sucky – the best one is definitely Aquaman. Aquaman can’t even talk under water. If you think about it in comics it’s fine, you just have a speech balloon, but how do you have Atlantis and people talking under water? Are they gonna talking telepathically? Is it going to be body forms? The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million.”

source: http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/33956...g-200-million/

Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #356
HighFivingMF
Welp.

His idea of modern Hulk talks about Thor making him horny for Betty and attacks the bad guy because he thinks they called him gay. His idea of modern Ant-Man is a dweeb with an inferiority complex who beats his wife and rampages around when he feels his masculinity is threatened.

So, who gives a **** what Mark Millar thinks?

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #357
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

He's right about it being a waste of money if WB goes ahead with a weak script and somehow stranglehold some poor fool to direct this (only right approach is having this develop naturally by reaching out to someone who sincerely wants to do this).

Millar's reasoning about the characters being too "old" to work is completely wrong though.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #358
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
His idea of modern Hulk talks about Thor making him horny for Betty and attacks the bad guy because he thinks they called him gay. His idea of modern Ant-Man is a dweeb with an inferiority complex who beats his wife and rampages around when he feels his masculinity is threatened.

So, who gives a **** what Mark Millar thinks?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! Millar's done some interesting work I'll give him that, but that guy's mouth frequently writes cheques his ass can't cash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Millar's reasoning about the characters being too "old" to work is completely wrong though.
True. Especially considering ALL the main characters in the Avengers (and the individual movies) are from the 60's themselves!

This guy's getting more and more 'douchey' as the years go by, and I think Grant Morrison was right about him.

Last edited by Crazymaverick; 02-06-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #359
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Mark Millar's such a plonk, didnt he say he'd read the script and it was awesome?

The guys a total tool!

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #360
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Mark Millar's such a plonk, didnt he say he'd read the script and it was awesome?

The guys a total tool!
I think I know who his favorite DC character is. Two-Face.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #361
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymaverick View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! Millar's done some interesting work I'll give him that, but that guy's mouth frequently writes cheques his ass can't cash!

True. Especially considering ALL the main characters in the Avengers (and the individual movies) are from the 60's themselves!

This guy's getting more and more 'douchey' as the years go by, and I think Grant Morrison was right about him.
What did Morrison say?

And I agree that he's wrong about the characters being too old. Audiences seem to always find Batman relevant. He's the oldest DC character isn't he?

As for the others, of course if Millar characterises them that way, they'll seem pathetic. The same could be said of any comic character.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #362
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Audiences seem to always find Batman relevant. He's the oldest DC character isn't he?
He's a year younger than Superman.

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #363
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I like how he comments about Flash's "door handles" on the side of his mask and how pissed off he would be if they removed it. Was he also pissed off in Cap's wingless mask? Oh wait, didn't he create the wingless mask in the Ultimates?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #364
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Cap could've equally been seen as old and outdated. Iron Man could've been seen as purely a product of the cold war. They've both worked in the MCU.

I think all the DC heroes can work, whether in a darker interpretation like Nolan's, or even in the four-colour world of the MCU.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #365
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Millar's just talking out his ass, as usual.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #366
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What did Morrison say?

And I agree that he's wrong about the characters being too old. Audiences seem to always find Batman relevant. He's the oldest DC character isn't he?

As for the others, of course if Millar characterises them that way, they'll seem pathetic. The same could be said of any comic character.

Here's the short version from a Rolling Stone interview:

Do you still hang out with your former protégé Mark Millar at all?
No.

Is that an estranged situation?
It's a can of worms. I met Mark when he was 18, and I really got on with him, because he laughed at all my jokes. He has the same sense of humor as me, he's very dark, and has that sense of humor, so we bonded. I used to phone him every day, and we ended up doing some work together on 2000 AD, which went well. It was funny stuff, we'd meet in the pub and get drunk and do this Big Dave strip, which was a comedy strip, and obviously, he was trying to get into American comics, so I got him on in Swamp Thing, and they asked me to write the book but I said, "Let's get Mark in, let's give him a job," so I consulted with him on the stories, and so on through the Nineties.

When he got the Authority book, his star started to rise, and at that point, he felt he was in my shadow and he had to get out, and the way to get out was to do this fairly uncool split. It was quite hard, I felt, but he had to make his own way, and he was in denial that I'd been there, because I saw a lot of his work had been plotted or devised, even dialogue suggestions were done by me right up until the point of The Ultimates. It was seen by him as a dimunition of his position, even though it wasn't, I was quite proud of him as a mentor. He's done well without me, he has his own style, he does his own stuff. It was kind of that archetype, you get caught up in that story.

You came out and acknowledged this, but that was after the estrangement?
Yeah. Before that, everyone in the business knew that I was working with him, it was obvious, I was 10 years older, I was already successful. His star rose, and that history became sidelined.

He still lives in Glasgow, is there a chance of bumping into him?
There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...omics-20110822

Ever since their falling out mentioned above, there has been a bitter back and forth from both guys in interviews etc. According to Morrison, Millar's basically a two-faced, opportunistic back stabber.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #367
protocida
Side-Kick

It's pretty obvious Millar is just talking against Justice League because he's now affiliated to Marvel's movies on Fox.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #368
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

He's got the subtlety of a bag of rocks to the face.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #369
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

WB should get Morrison on board. Not just because of Millar, but it would just make it all the sweeter now.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #370
nite-owl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymaverick View Post
He still lives in Glasgow, is there a chance of bumping into him?
There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

This is why I love Grant Morrison.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #371
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

Feelin' the love for Morrison on this thread!

Love it!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #372
Zionite1
Side-Kick

This is the same guy who said hed seen the JL script and it was "awesome" and "real world?"So full of ****.Knew there was no script at that time-that wld be like saying JL isnt a response to the avengers but was actually plannned.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #373
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post
It's pretty obvious Millar is just talking against Justice League because he's now affiliated to Marvel's movies on Fox.
Especially since he was all praises for the script back in June last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
This is the same guy who said hed seen the JL script and it was "awesome" and "real world?"So full of ****.Knew there was no script at that time-that wld be like saying JL isnt a response to the avengers but was actually plannned.

You beat me to it!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #374
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocida View Post
I don't think he is anti DC so much as anti-Marvel Studios. He praised what he has seen of MOS and he preferred TDKR over the Avengers.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #375
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Eugh... Mark Millar.

One of the most nauseating men in the business.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Closed Thread