The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Default Which villain made the biggest impact?

When all is said and done,which villain(or villains)do you think made the biggest impact on Peter,emotionally? Now,I'm not talking about which villain gave the best performance or who was more evil,but when Peter looks back on his life as Spider-man,which baddie do you think he'll remember most?
I might have to say Green Goblin would probably be the one to haunt Peter for the rest of his life. I wouldn't even say the Goblin himself,but maybe his legacy. The Goblin was his first major foe and turned out to be his best friend's father. And even once the Goblin was killed,Peter still had the guilt of what happened and the pain of seeing his best friend deal with Norman's death. And even when he thought he was out of the woods,Harry become the New Goblin and attacks him. The memory of the Goblin pretty much haunted Peter over the course of the trilogy.
In a way you could say Sandman too,because of him "killing" Uncle Ben. Although I would think that Peter would miss his Uncle more than hating Marko,since Marko revealed Ben's death was an accident and Peter forgave him.
I may throw Venom in there too. Despite the lack of screentime and interaction with Spider-man,Venom was the only villain to kill someone that Peter loved and cared for. Even though it was a case of self-scarifice for Harry,I would imagine that Peter would never forget Venom killing his best friend.Plus,that whole saga with the symbiote and what it made Peter do,and how it almost turned him into a monster is something that may cause a few nightmares for him.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007

Never Forget 9/11/01
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
superiorSpidey

Default Re: Which villain made the biggest impact?

Venom.

superiorSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

If New Goblin counts, then Harry Osborn made the biggest impact because that was his best friend. Otherwise, I'd have to say Sandman: the man who really killed Uncle Ben.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Someone said Venom, lol.

I sorta agree with Picard that Harry Osborn has been one of the biggest impacts, but also Norman Osborn...ESSENTIALLY, the Goblin legacy has the biggest impact.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 01-31-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

You could probably say Venom,or most likely,the symbiote. After all,the symbiote did really mess with Peter's mind and learned all his secrets,fears;etc. It doesn't get any more personal than that.

Never Forget 9/11/01
Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
Nathan

Venom didn't really do much with that knowledge though. So he kidnapped MJ. Two villains did that before him and they didn't need to know about all his personal secrets and fears. You could say that Venom might have had a big impact because he killed his best friend right in front of his eyes.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Venom didn't really do much with that knowledge though. So he kidnapped MJ. Two villains did that before him and they didn't need to know about all his personal secrets and fears. You could say that Venom might have had a big impact because he killed his best friend right in front of his eyes.
True,but while the symbiote was with Peter it obviously got inside his head. He almost killed 2 people and smacked the girl he loves in the face. I'm sure that something like that might haunt him for a while.

Never Forget 9/11/01
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Picard Sisko

Sandman also killed his uncle...

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I don't want to bring up Sandman because of some dumb retcon, lol.

And as for Venom...while the symbiote learned all of Peter's secrets, when it bonded to Eddie, he didn't do much to create an impact or as much as Norman or Harry did. He kidnapped MJ(what a surprise), but the only major thing Venom ever did was kill Harry, and in a similar way of how Norman died(it would have been very cool if Venom mentioned something about that's how his father died or something just to keep in check of Venom knowing everything about Peter's life).

Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Venom killing Harry with his glider was a nice thematic parallel, considering how Venom is essentially Peter's inner demons brought to life. Gotta give credit where it's due.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Sandman.

Without him there would be no crime fighting Spider-Man. Ugh that leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Victarion
Cut

Norman cast a long shadow over Peter and Harry's friendship, so Green Goblin.

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Green Goblin and Venom.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I don't want to bring up Sandman because of some dumb retcon, lol.
Whether you like it or not, he was there. He did exist, and did make an impact on Peter.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

The biggest one, too. No Sandman then no dead Uncle Ben, then no crime fighting Spider-Man.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The biggest one, too. No Sandman then no dead Uncle Ben, then no crime fighting Spider-Man.
This. Not saying I like the retcon, but he certainly made an impact.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #17
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

You all make good points
I wanted to say Green Goblin, but yeah, Sandman is the better choice

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I just don't want to allow to bring up Sandman because of the retcon and therefore the biggest reason why I hate Spider-Man 3. Let alone the HERO lets the KILLER...*barfs first*....fly away.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I just don't want to allow to bring up Sandman because of the retcon and therefore the biggest reason why I hate Spider-Man 3. Let alone the HERO lets the KILLER...*barfs first*....fly away.
I thought the retcon was the least of the movie's problems. It could have been a really cool twist if executed better, but the movie failed on so many levels that it became another flaw.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
Anno_Domini
Banned User

As someone who hates retcons, I can't view it as the least of the film's problems as if the film has Vulture rather than the Venom/symbiote as a whole, then the film will still be pretty bad. It ruined the origin of Spider-Man and it ruined Spidey's heroic message when he lets a killer just fly on away.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
webhead731
I'm a photographer

-Peter lets thief run
-thief causes Ben's death
-Peter allowed crime to take place

I still fail to see how it ruined his origin but ok.

As for letting him get away, whether you agree or not, the point was that Peter shouldn't be hellbent on revenge. Everyone makes mistakes. He made a mistake and it cost him his Uncle. The point was that he forgave Sandman for his mistake. Killing him or turning him in wasn't going to help Peter or Sandman's daughter. Part of growing up is realizing that revenge in blood lust are childish actions, and forgiving a person is ultimately mature.

Now Sandman should have surrendered to the police. I think it would have made for an awkward scene if Spider-Man did anything to try to capture Sandman after their discussion. It can be argued that maybe he flew to a police station or went to one after saying goodbye to his daughter. There is no proof of that but it is plausible.

I don't think the Uncle Ben thing was 100% necessary and it could have been carried with him accidentally hurting Aunt May or something else, but I see what they were doing. It doesn't ruin anything it just kind of adds an element to it that wasn't absolutely needed.

Ruining it would be Sandman killing Ben in cold blood. Like an animal. Or Uncle Ben actually being alive and just "hiding" or some crap.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Letting the killer fly away. THAT is what ruins the origin and Spidey's heroic message all in one fell swoop.

At least in TSSM, even with a change in the killer's identity, Spider-Man is set in stone of not letting the killer escape prison even with Black Cat trying to to help him(her dad I mean).

Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
Lord
All Mighty

Green Goblin, he was the main villain of the trilogy

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
ImAlwaysAngry
Side-Kick

I'll tell you the only one that was effectively moving on a screen, the only one that was emotionally powerful at all: Green Goblin. Hands down. So much meh in the rest of them. GG was the only good villain he had in the series, though Sandman had a real shot of mattering (until he was beaten down by unnecessary team-ups and a dumb retcon).

But Haden-Church was powerful. Wish I could've seen more of him as the dad trying to take care of a sick daughter. But oh well.

ImAlwaysAngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #25
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Green Goblin. Because he was the first.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote