The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: I feel that the ACA is...
a positive thing for the country 8 12.12%
mostly positive 13 19.70%
I am indifferent/neutral to it. 3 4.55%
mostly negative 13 19.70%
terrible 23 34.85%
I need to wait and see. 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #751
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Yeah, not a good track record either.

Basically, the GOP finally realized that if they hadn't pulled all this ********, and had just kept up their public concerns without the whole shutdown fiasco, they'd be in the same situation now to take advantage of the law's apparent failures, without having hurt their own position and made themselves look like fools.

They'd be so much better off right now.
The Politico article also states that the sense among Republicans and Democrats is that the ill will the public has towards the Republicans over the shutdown has pretty much eroded thanks to Obamacare, Obama's ineffectiveness, and the economy not being badly damaged by the shutdown.

They'd be in a stronger position without the shutdown, but right now, it's not hurting them for the moment.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #752
stillanerd
Side-Kick

So, any reactions to the Obamacare enrollment numbers that got released today?

Remember, these numbers are national figures, meaning it includes both Healthcare.gov and the State Exchange websites. And, just in case it wasn't, that 502,446 number is the added figure of those with Marketplace plans (106,185) and those who've been deemed eligible for Medicaid (396,261) thus far.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Last edited by stillanerd; 11-14-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #753
SentinelMind
Banned User

So is the President of the United States unilaterally bullying insurance companies and all 50 state DOIs into complying with an executive order that contradicts his own signature legislation.....6 weeks before 2014? I guess so, and doesn't surprise me...last minute cover for an intended policy feature to kick millions of Americans off reasonable insurance policies that they want to keep. Let's push can down road after 2014 election.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #754
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Yep....this could be Obama's biggest WTF? moment....wow, lol

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #755
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
So, any reactions to the Obamacare enrollment numbers that got released today?

Remember, these numbers are national figures, meaning it includes both Healthcare.gov and the State Exchange websites. And, just in case it wasn't, that 502,446 number is the added figure of those with Marketplace plans (106,185) and those who've been deemed eligible for Medicaid (396,261) thus far.

I love the use of the word...."positioned". lmao

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #756
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Yep....this could be Obama's biggest WTF? moment....wow, lol
It just continues to show he has no clue what he's doing.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #757
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Yikes...I hate to see what else our good President has in store for us with the remainder of his term. :/

Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #758
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Well there's always time to start another war.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 11-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #759
Victarion
Cut

A drone did crashin Lake Ontario. Maybe we're going to war with Canada?

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #760
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpgcZ1zYJs

Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #761
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.alan.com/2013/11/17/la-05...wins-election/

Quote:
LA-05: Pro-Medicare-Expansion ‘Duck Dynasty’ GOPer Wins Election

Results of the special federal runoff election for Louisiana’s vacant Fifth Congressional District are finally in, and it strikes another blow against the institutional GOP as an “outsider” who supports one facet of Obamacare beats the party’s favored candidate:
Louisiana voters elected Republican Vance McAllister in a runoff to fill the state’s vacant Fifth District U.S. House seat on Saturday. McAllister, a businessman who embraced the expansion of Medicaid available to the state under the Affordable Care Act, defeated a Republican party favorite who called for full Obamacare repeal.

In a district won by Mitt Romney with 61 percent of the vote in 2012, two Republicans were the top vote-getters in a 14-candidate October primary. McAllister, who received nearly 60 percent of the vote in Saturday’s special election, criticized much of the Affordable Care Act, but also criticized Gov. Bobby Jindal’s (R) decision to dismantle charity hospitals in the state, and to reject its Medicaid expansion, which would expand the qualifications for Medicaid recipients and extend healthcare coverage to hundreds of thousands of uninsured Louisianans. “Our governor and Sen. Riser right here have gutted [heath care] to the core and privatized it.”
McAllister’s campaign was boosted not only by his deep pockets but an endorsement from a local entrepreneur turned national reality show celebrity:
His friendship with “Duck Dynasty” patriarch Phil Robertson helped draw attention to his long-shot bid for office, and McAllister’s own deep pockets paid for most of his campaign expenses.

McAllister spent at least $800,000 of his own money on the race, according to the Federal Election Commission. By comparison, Riser raised a similar amount and put no personal wealth into the campaign.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisia...election,_2013

Just looking at Louisiana's primary system it seems they use the same system as California, basically put all candidates in a primary against eachother and have the top 2 go head to head. This is not a bad system if you want to get the most pragmatic people in Government. I think more states should adopt this approach

Last edited by SV Fan; 11-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #762
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

I totally agree, we talk about this or that disenfranchising different groups, but IMO, the biggest thing that does this is the caucus system.

… Maya Angelou ...

Old 11-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #763
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-healthcaregov

Quote:
Two anti-Obamacare websites with ties to national conservative groups are attempting to stop Alaskans from enrolling in health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

The two sites – Know the Facts Alaska and Don’t Enroll Alaska -- use different tactics to arrive at the same piece of advice: Delay enrollment in Healthcare.gov. While Don’t Enroll is obvious in its anti-Obamacare sentiment, Know the Facts operates under the guise of neutrality, meanwhile offering Alaskans misleading information on the law.

The website owners are not transparent. But both have ties to conservative groups working to derail the Affordable Care Act (ACA), President Obama’s signature health-care reform law.

The websites' creators are not listed on either site, and both were registered using domain name privacy services.

Yet there are hints that the two websites are connected:

• They were created within minutes of each other, a fact first pointed out by Alaska Commons.
• Their Facebook pages were created on the same day.
• Television advertisements for both websites run within the same commercial break.
• And the websites are nearly identical in their layout and font selections.

Neither website, nor their Facebook pages, offer a contact email. Sign-up forms on Know the Facts allow folks to register their emails for more information, and on Don’t Enroll people can “take the pledge” not to enroll in the insurance health exchange.

An administrator running each Facebook page has offered a contact email, following reader comments asking for one. However, multiple emails were not returned to Alaska Dispatch by either Know the Facts on Don’t Enroll.

Heidi Gay with the Alaska chapter of Americans for Prosperity (AFP) spoke about the two sites on Monday. AFP is a conservative group backed by billionaires David and Charles Koch, which seeks to influence elections and public policy across the country.
why doesn't that last statement surprise me.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #764
SV Fan
Side-Kick

So just for ****s and giggles I went to http://www.knowthefactsalaska.org/ and answered every question that going for health insurance would be my best bet and here was the reply

Quote:
You would benefit from waiting before you make a decision. It looks like there could be pros and cons to the exchange, but based upon your health needs you value your current plan as well. Take your time. Reform won’t be fully implemented until at least 2018 and you can enroll in future.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #765
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

well,we FINALLY got the info about our 2014 Blue Cross insurance from my workplace ( I went to the enrollment meeting 2 weeks ago,but they "didn't get the numbers yet" from BC about how much,if at all,our insurance would be going up).

well,apparently our premiums ARE going up,by a "double digit percentage". HOWEVER,my workplace has decided to eat the cost of the increase,and our premiums,co-pays,deductibles,etc. are staying frozen at the 2013 levels,apparently due to increases in profits every quarter for the last 3 years.so they said doing this was basically a thank you for all out hard work.

and I DO appreciate that,and am happy that all my rates are staying the same. that said,I wish they would tell us what the double digit premium increase actually was,just so I can be informed for 2015 enrollment,since it seems unlikely they'll eat the cost 2 years in a row,so I can have an idea of what to expect.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #766
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
well,we FINALLY got the info about our 2014 Blue Cross insurance from my workplace ( I went to the enrollment meeting 2 weeks ago,but they "didn't get the numbers yet" from BC about how much,if at all,our insurance would be going up).

well,apparently our premiums ARE going up,by a "double digit percentage". HOWEVER,my workplace has decided to eat the cost of the increase,and our premiums,co-pays,deductibles,etc. are staying frozen at the 2013 levels,apparently due to increases in profits every quarter for the last 3 years.so they said doing this was basically a thank you for all out hard work.

and I DO appreciate that,and am happy that all my rates are staying the same. that said,I wish they would tell us what the double digit premium increase actually was,just so I can be informed for 2015 enrollment,since it seems unlikely they'll eat the cost 2 years in a row,so I can have an idea of what to expect.
I don't know the context of what you/they are saying. If you only pay a dollar for your health insurance and it goes up by 10 cents that's a "double digit" increase, but you are sill only paying $1.10 for your health care, which is pretty darn cheap. I suspect that the increase was not that severe since your employer was willing to pick up the tab (certainly they would have passed it on to you if it were too much).

In any case:

Cost of Health Care Law Is Seen as Decreasing
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/bu...ewanted=1&_r=0

Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #767
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
So just for ****s and giggles I went to http://www.knowthefactsalaska.org/ and answered every question that going for health insurance would be my best bet and here was the reply
I think they give the same answer regardless of what your response is on the quiz.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #768
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I think they give the same answer regardless of what your response is on the quiz.
Yeah basically, but what would you expect from a side that has alot of Koch money behind it

Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #769
Victarion
Cut

http://news.yahoo.com/harry-reid-exe...192925037.html

"Let's stop these really juvenile political games – the one dealing with healthcare for senators and House members and our staff,” Reid said at the time. “We are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."

“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #770
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Quote:
I don't know the context of what you/they are saying. If you only pay a dollar for your health insurance and it goes up by 10 cents that's a "double digit" increase, but you are sill only paying $1.10 for your health care, which is pretty darn cheap. I suspect that the increase was not that severe since your employer was willing to pick up the tab (certainly they would have passed it on to you if it were too much).

In any case:

Cost of Health Care Law Is Seen as Decreasing
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/bu...ewanted=1&_r=0
I pay almost $400 a month for insurance,and my employer picks up the other half. so around $800 a month is paid for my insurance.

yeah,it could be as low as a 10% increase,or as high as 80%,which some places have had happen. I would,personally,just like to know,in case in the future they DO decide to pass it on to us,I'd like to have an idea of what potentially it could be. that's all.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #771
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
I pay almost $400 a month for insurance,and my employer picks up the other half. so around $800 a month is paid for my insurance.

yeah,it could be as low as a 10% increase,or as high as 80%,which some places have had happen. I would,personally,just like to know,in case in the future they DO decide to pass it on to us,I'd like to have an idea of what potentially it could be. that's all.

As a consolation, the above chart shows the average employer contribution for health care premiums for both 2003 and the present (2013). According to the chart, on average, employers pay a little over 72% of health care premiums (that's $11,786 divided by $16,351). If your employer was only paying 50% then their absorption of any increase in premiums would only serve to put them closer to the average. I suspect that is why they did that.

Last edited by dnno1; 12-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #772
Destructus86
Side-Kick

My employer moved to a high deductable health plan when they first heard about Obamacare...now i'm using a huge chunk of my paycheck just to pay my doctor bills. :/

Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #773
dnno1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
My employer moved to a high deductable health plan when they first heard about Obamacare...now i'm using a huge chunk of my paycheck just to pay my doctor bills. :/
How do you want it? Make a decent living and be able to co-pay for decent health care, or work part time and have to get Medicaid?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #774
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
How do you want it? Make a decent living and be able to co-pay for decent health care, or work part time and have to get Medicaid?
But how is being forced to lose a big chunk his paycheck to pay for a doctor any better? Sounds like Obamacare didn't help him out at all.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #775
Slushy
The Man

Keep your current healthcare plan he said.

Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Closed Thread