The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: I feel that the ACA is...
a positive thing for the country 8 12.12%
mostly positive 13 19.70%
I am indifferent/neutral to it. 3 4.55%
mostly negative 13 19.70%
terrible 23 34.85%
I need to wait and see. 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #751
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,953
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Yeah, not a good track record either.

Basically, the GOP finally realized that if they hadn't pulled all this ********, and had just kept up their public concerns without the whole shutdown fiasco, they'd be in the same situation now to take advantage of the law's apparent failures, without having hurt their own position and made themselves look like fools.

They'd be so much better off right now.
The Politico article also states that the sense among Republicans and Democrats is that the ill will the public has towards the Republicans over the shutdown has pretty much eroded thanks to Obamacare, Obama's ineffectiveness, and the economy not being badly damaged by the shutdown.

They'd be in a stronger position without the shutdown, but right now, it's not hurting them for the moment.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #752
stillanerd
Side-Kick
 
stillanerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,656
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

So, any reactions to the Obamacare enrollment numbers that got released today?



Remember, these numbers are national figures, meaning it includes both Healthcare.gov and the State Exchange websites. And, just in case it wasn't, that 502,446 number is the added figure of those with Marketplace plans (106,185) and those who've been deemed eligible for Medicaid (396,261) thus far.

__________________
Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV


Last edited by stillanerd; 11-14-2013 at 02:22 AM.
stillanerd is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #753
SentinelMind
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North FL
Posts: 4,078
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

So is the President of the United States unilaterally bullying insurance companies and all 50 state DOIs into complying with an executive order that contradicts his own signature legislation.....6 weeks before 2014? I guess so, and doesn't surprise me...last minute cover for an intended policy feature to kick millions of Americans off reasonable insurance policies that they want to keep. Let's push can down road after 2014 election.

SentinelMind is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #754
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Yep....this could be Obama's biggest WTF? moment....wow, lol

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #755
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
So, any reactions to the Obamacare enrollment numbers that got released today?



Remember, these numbers are national figures, meaning it includes both Healthcare.gov and the State Exchange websites. And, just in case it wasn't, that 502,446 number is the added figure of those with Marketplace plans (106,185) and those who've been deemed eligible for Medicaid (396,261) thus far.

I love the use of the word...."positioned". lmao

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #756
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Yep....this could be Obama's biggest WTF? moment....wow, lol
It just continues to show he has no clue what he's doing.

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #757
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,906
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Yikes...I hate to see what else our good President has in store for us with the remainder of his term. :/

__________________
Religion should not be taught in school.
Destructus86 is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #758
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!
 
Darthphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 83,312
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Well there's always time to start another war.

__________________
"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #759
Victarion
Cut
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,590
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

A drone did crashin Lake Ontario. Maybe we're going to war with Canada?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toll The Hounds
“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #760
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpgcZ1zYJs

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #761
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,467
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

http://www.alan.com/2013/11/17/la-05...wins-election/

Quote:
LA-05: Pro-Medicare-Expansion ‘Duck Dynasty’ GOPer Wins Election

Results of the special federal runoff election for Louisiana’s vacant Fifth Congressional District are finally in, and it strikes another blow against the institutional GOP as an “outsider” who supports one facet of Obamacare beats the party’s favored candidate:
Louisiana voters elected Republican Vance McAllister in a runoff to fill the state’s vacant Fifth District U.S. House seat on Saturday. McAllister, a businessman who embraced the expansion of Medicaid available to the state under the Affordable Care Act, defeated a Republican party favorite who called for full Obamacare repeal.

In a district won by Mitt Romney with 61 percent of the vote in 2012, two Republicans were the top vote-getters in a 14-candidate October primary. McAllister, who received nearly 60 percent of the vote in Saturday’s special election, criticized much of the Affordable Care Act, but also criticized Gov. Bobby Jindal’s (R) decision to dismantle charity hospitals in the state, and to reject its Medicaid expansion, which would expand the qualifications for Medicaid recipients and extend healthcare coverage to hundreds of thousands of uninsured Louisianans. “Our governor and Sen. Riser right here have gutted [heath care] to the core and privatized it.”
McAllister’s campaign was boosted not only by his deep pockets but an endorsement from a local entrepreneur turned national reality show celebrity:
His friendship with “Duck Dynasty” patriarch Phil Robertson helped draw attention to his long-shot bid for office, and McAllister’s own deep pockets paid for most of his campaign expenses.

McAllister spent at least $800,000 of his own money on the race, according to the Federal Election Commission. By comparison, Riser raised a similar amount and put no personal wealth into the campaign.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisia...election,_2013

Just looking at Louisiana's primary system it seems they use the same system as California, basically put all candidates in a primary against eachother and have the top 2 go head to head. This is not a bad system if you want to get the most pragmatic people in Government. I think more states should adopt this approach


Last edited by SV Fan; 11-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.
SV Fan is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #762
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

I totally agree, we talk about this or that disenfranchising different groups, but IMO, the biggest thing that does this is the caucus system.

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #763
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,467
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-healthcaregov

Quote:
Two anti-Obamacare websites with ties to national conservative groups are attempting to stop Alaskans from enrolling in health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

The two sites – Know the Facts Alaska and Don’t Enroll Alaska -- use different tactics to arrive at the same piece of advice: Delay enrollment in Healthcare.gov. While Don’t Enroll is obvious in its anti-Obamacare sentiment, Know the Facts operates under the guise of neutrality, meanwhile offering Alaskans misleading information on the law.

The website owners are not transparent. But both have ties to conservative groups working to derail the Affordable Care Act (ACA), President Obama’s signature health-care reform law.

The websites' creators are not listed on either site, and both were registered using domain name privacy services.

Yet there are hints that the two websites are connected:

• They were created within minutes of each other, a fact first pointed out by Alaska Commons.
• Their Facebook pages were created on the same day.
• Television advertisements for both websites run within the same commercial break.
• And the websites are nearly identical in their layout and font selections.

Neither website, nor their Facebook pages, offer a contact email. Sign-up forms on Know the Facts allow folks to register their emails for more information, and on Don’t Enroll people can “take the pledge” not to enroll in the insurance health exchange.

An administrator running each Facebook page has offered a contact email, following reader comments asking for one. However, multiple emails were not returned to Alaska Dispatch by either Know the Facts on Don’t Enroll.

Heidi Gay with the Alaska chapter of Americans for Prosperity (AFP) spoke about the two sites on Monday. AFP is a conservative group backed by billionaires David and Charles Koch, which seeks to influence elections and public policy across the country.
why doesn't that last statement surprise me.

SV Fan is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #764
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,467
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

So just for ****s and giggles I went to http://www.knowthefactsalaska.org/ and answered every question that going for health insurance would be my best bet and here was the reply

Quote:
You would benefit from waiting before you make a decision. It looks like there could be pros and cons to the exchange, but based upon your health needs you value your current plan as well. Take your time. Reform won’t be fully implemented until at least 2018 and you can enroll in future.

SV Fan is offline  
Old 11-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #765
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

well,we FINALLY got the info about our 2014 Blue Cross insurance from my workplace ( I went to the enrollment meeting 2 weeks ago,but they "didn't get the numbers yet" from BC about how much,if at all,our insurance would be going up).

well,apparently our premiums ARE going up,by a "double digit percentage". HOWEVER,my workplace has decided to eat the cost of the increase,and our premiums,co-pays,deductibles,etc. are staying frozen at the 2013 levels,apparently due to increases in profits every quarter for the last 3 years.so they said doing this was basically a thank you for all out hard work.

and I DO appreciate that,and am happy that all my rates are staying the same. that said,I wish they would tell us what the double digit premium increase actually was,just so I can be informed for 2015 enrollment,since it seems unlikely they'll eat the cost 2 years in a row,so I can have an idea of what to expect.

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #766
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,664
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
well,we FINALLY got the info about our 2014 Blue Cross insurance from my workplace ( I went to the enrollment meeting 2 weeks ago,but they "didn't get the numbers yet" from BC about how much,if at all,our insurance would be going up).

well,apparently our premiums ARE going up,by a "double digit percentage". HOWEVER,my workplace has decided to eat the cost of the increase,and our premiums,co-pays,deductibles,etc. are staying frozen at the 2013 levels,apparently due to increases in profits every quarter for the last 3 years.so they said doing this was basically a thank you for all out hard work.

and I DO appreciate that,and am happy that all my rates are staying the same. that said,I wish they would tell us what the double digit premium increase actually was,just so I can be informed for 2015 enrollment,since it seems unlikely they'll eat the cost 2 years in a row,so I can have an idea of what to expect.
I don't know the context of what you/they are saying. If you only pay a dollar for your health insurance and it goes up by 10 cents that's a "double digit" increase, but you are sill only paying $1.10 for your health care, which is pretty darn cheap. I suspect that the increase was not that severe since your employer was willing to pick up the tab (certainly they would have passed it on to you if it were too much).

In any case:

Cost of Health Care Law Is Seen as Decreasing
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/bu...ewanted=1&_r=0

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #767
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,664
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
So just for ****s and giggles I went to http://www.knowthefactsalaska.org/ and answered every question that going for health insurance would be my best bet and here was the reply
I think they give the same answer regardless of what your response is on the quiz.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #768
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,467
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I think they give the same answer regardless of what your response is on the quiz.
Yeah basically, but what would you expect from a side that has alot of Koch money behind it

SV Fan is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #769
Victarion
Cut
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,590
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

http://news.yahoo.com/harry-reid-exe...192925037.html

"Let's stop these really juvenile political games – the one dealing with healthcare for senators and House members and our staff,” Reid said at the time. “We are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toll The Hounds
“Evil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity – the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, let’s call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.”
Victarion is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #770
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
I don't know the context of what you/they are saying. If you only pay a dollar for your health insurance and it goes up by 10 cents that's a "double digit" increase, but you are sill only paying $1.10 for your health care, which is pretty darn cheap. I suspect that the increase was not that severe since your employer was willing to pick up the tab (certainly they would have passed it on to you if it were too much).

In any case:

Cost of Health Care Law Is Seen as Decreasing
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/bu...ewanted=1&_r=0
I pay almost $400 a month for insurance,and my employer picks up the other half. so around $800 a month is paid for my insurance.

yeah,it could be as low as a 10% increase,or as high as 80%,which some places have had happen. I would,personally,just like to know,in case in the future they DO decide to pass it on to us,I'd like to have an idea of what potentially it could be. that's all.

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #771
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,664
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
I pay almost $400 a month for insurance,and my employer picks up the other half. so around $800 a month is paid for my insurance.

yeah,it could be as low as a 10% increase,or as high as 80%,which some places have had happen. I would,personally,just like to know,in case in the future they DO decide to pass it on to us,I'd like to have an idea of what potentially it could be. that's all.


As a consolation, the above chart shows the average employer contribution for health care premiums for both 2003 and the present (2013). According to the chart, on average, employers pay a little over 72% of health care premiums (that's $11,786 divided by $16,351). If your employer was only paying 50% then their absorption of any increase in premiums would only serve to put them closer to the average. I suspect that is why they did that.

__________________
Dno

Last edited by dnno1; 12-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.
dnno1 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #772
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,906
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

My employer moved to a high deductable health plan when they first heard about Obamacare...now i'm using a huge chunk of my paycheck just to pay my doctor bills. :/

__________________
Religion should not be taught in school.
Destructus86 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #773
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,664
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
My employer moved to a high deductable health plan when they first heard about Obamacare...now i'm using a huge chunk of my paycheck just to pay my doctor bills. :/
How do you want it? Make a decent living and be able to co-pay for decent health care, or work part time and have to get Medicaid?

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #774
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick
 
Webfoot Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,112
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
How do you want it? Make a decent living and be able to co-pay for decent health care, or work part time and have to get Medicaid?
But how is being forced to lose a big chunk his paycheck to pay for a doctor any better? Sounds like Obamacare didn't help him out at all.

Webfoot Hero is offline  
Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #775
Slushy
The Man
 
Slushy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hell
Posts: 5,646
Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Keep your current healthcare plan he said.


__________________
Feel free to add / subscribe me:
YouTube: OneUltimateWarrior
Facebook: Slushy The Penguin
Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Slushy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.