The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: I feel that the ACA is...
a positive thing for the country 8 12.12%
mostly positive 13 19.70%
I am indifferent/neutral to it. 3 4.55%
mostly negative 13 19.70%
terrible 23 34.85%
I need to wait and see. 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #76
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Default Re: Affordable Care Act: Real Reform or More Bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I have a couple of lawyer friends that did in fact read the entire thing. They have read tons of legislation...they said that this piece of legislation was the worst written piece of legislation they have ever seen. It talked in rounds, they said it looked like they had purposely wrote it to make it confusing. They said it was horrible....I read the first 300 pages and gave up.
Considering they had to basically pass it on a late-night, party line vote, I knew that the bill was absolute cr@p from the get-go. When you have someone like Pelosi saying, "We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it," it should have raised more red flags with voters. I don't know how any Senator or Representative who voted for this can actually say it's good legislation. Intentions were somewhat decent entering but the execution was horrible.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #77
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

So applying for Obamacare looks like it won't be as easy as they said it would. With how government-run programs like this are, it's not going to surprise me if the government pisses off a lot of people, kind of like going to the DMV and waiting hours on end.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-a...183509514.html

Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #78
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

I'm not a big political person, but due to Obamacare, my hours are getting cut at work so they don't have to offer care to us. So I'm getting screwed and will still have to pay for my usual bills plus some sort of insurance. Guess I gotta start looking for a second job because I can't afford things as they are now, and I cannot imagine this will do any good for the job market.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #79
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamMaster View Post
I'm not a big political person, but due to Obamacare, my hours are getting cut at work so they don't have to offer care to us. So I'm getting screwed and will still have to pay for my usual bills plus some sort of insurance. Guess I gotta start looking for a second job because I can't afford things as they are now, and I cannot imagine this will do any good for the job market.
Unfortunately, you have become one of many that are getting hours cut below 30 hours a week.

I think this is going to hit the restaurant industry the most, and unfortunately that was an area of the economy that was actually still growing...

Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #80
TheBat812
Side-Kick

I wish they'd just passed the original "public option" bill. this one, while well intentioned, seems to be a pile of dung in many respects. While I'd like to argue that businesses are just being *****es in cutting people's hours to avoid this, you can't really blame them, I guess. Anybody know the specifics of how exactly this is affecting small businesses?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #81
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I wish they'd just passed the original "public option" bill. this one, while well intentioned, seems to be a pile of dung in many respects. While I'd like to argue that businesses are just being *****es in cutting people's hours to avoid this, you can't really blame them, I guess. Anybody know the specifics of how exactly this is affecting small businesses?
As far small businesses, they will probably hire up to the limit, and then stop hiring...so, small businesses may simply hire no more than 49 full time employees.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #82
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

This is what happens when you have to pass something in order to find out what's in it.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #83
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I don't normally blame Obama for everything...but it has his freaking name on the program! :P Obama is doing a horrible job in his presidency. This is just ridiculous!

Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #84
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

http://reason.com/archives/2013/03/1...cian-fight-bac

Good to see more and more doctors go the direct primary care route.

Quote:
Direct primary care is part of a larger trend of physician-entrepreneurs all across the country fighting to bring transparent prices and market forces back to health care. This is happening just as the federal government is poised to interfere with the health care market in many new and profoundly destructive ways.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #85
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

I think their ideas were good....but as soon as you put bureaucrats in charge of writing it, you allow every group that you have hands in their pockets to give their 2 cents, you try to help 15 million people by uprooting the insurance of the other 200 or so million's insurance, then you are going to have a problem.

I think there are things they could have done much smaller that could have begun the step towards reform.

We did not need this HUGE elephant in the room that now everyone is supposed to ignore....like the President is doing.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #86
Destructus86
Side-Kick

This Obamacare crap is pissing me off.
Every since we first heard about it my company switched to a high deductable insurance plan....now I have freaking $400 in doctor bills for one freaking visit. It's going to take me the entire year to pay off the deductable...I can't afford this crap.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #87
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Every since we first heard about it my company switched to a high deductable insurance plan....now I have freaking $400 in doctor bills for one freaking visit. It's going to take me the entire year to pay off the deductable...I can't afford this crap.
Are you talking about your co-pay or your yearly deductible? Because a $400 dollar yearly deductible is a very low deductable. Mine has always been a $500 yearly deductable since long before Obamacare and stayed the same after Obamacare. Some deductables are in the thousands and were long before Obamacare. So you might want to count yourself lucky.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 03-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #88
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
could be worse, look at this

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

scary stuff, Obamacare will literally kill people

Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #89
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

This woman is strikingly similar to her Neanderthal cousins hiding in their caves grunting about the boogeyman in the night.

Obamacare is a bag of issues and has always been a compromise of the lowest common denominator but it isn't hunting down children and the infirm and killing them. Whereas before those in the millions without insurance group were actually dying. Obamacare isn't perfect but its the best we could get atm.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 03-26-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #90
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Hmmm, such hyperbole reminds me of this Congressional slug:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Maybe Grayson and Bachmann will both get voted out in 2014, and we can have elected officials who aren't drama queens.

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #91
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Rob View Post
Maybe Grayson and Bachmann will both get voted out in 2014, and we can have elected officials who aren't drama queens.
Fair enough on Grayson but I do think in Grayson's case he was trying to be funny, in Bachmanns she was being 100% serious(which made it funny)

Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #92
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Are you talking about your co-pay or your yearly deductible? Because a $400 dollar yearly deductible is a very low deductable. Mine has always been a $500 yearly deductable since long before Obamacare and stayed the same after Obamacare. Some deductables are in the thousands and were long before Obamacare. So you might want to count yourself lucky.
Oh no, my deductable is a little over $2k. It used to ber around $500 until the Obamacare thing reared it's head and our company moved to a high deductable plan after that.

$400 is just my first bill.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #93
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fair enough on Grayson but I do think in Grayson's case he was trying to be funny, in Bachmanns she was being 100% serious(which made it funny)
Grayson was always a dick while in Congress so I think he was being serious as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #94
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Health Care premiums are going up across the country.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #95
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Sebelius: Yep, Obamacare Is Raising Insurance Costs

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/03/2...surance-costs/

Read the article for Sebelius' comments, because the author himself is definitely biased. I did like this quote from the author, though:

Quote:
On the political front, Obama’s cherished young voters are getting rooked, but luckily they tend to be low-information types who don’t hold him accountable for anything . . .
And in more fun:

Study: Health Law to Raise Claims Cost 32%

http://news.yahoo.com/study-health-l...--finance.html

Quote:
The administration is questioning the study, saying it doesn't give a full picture — and costs will go down.

Actuaries are financial risk professionals who conduct long-range cost estimates for pension plans, insurance companies and government programs.

The study says claims costs will go up largely because sicker people will join the insurance pool. That's because the law forbids insurers from turning down those with pre-existing medical problems, effective Jan. 1. Everyone gets sick sooner or later, but sicker people also use more health care services.

"Claims cost is the most important driver of health care premiums," said Kristi Bohn, an actuary who worked on the study. Spending on sicker people and other high-cost groups will overwhelm an influx of younger, healthier people into the program, said the report.
Naturally, the administration still continues to insist that costs will go down.

Let's see, whose words should I give more credence to: the administration who pushed for the legislation and whose name is irrevocably attached, success or failure, to the law as "Obamacare," or the Society of Actuaries, who " . . . are financial risk professionals who conduct long-range cost estimates for pension plans, insurance companies and government programs?"

Tough call!!

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #96
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Rob View Post
Sebelius: Yep, Obamacare Is Raising Insurance Costs

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/03/2...surance-costs/

Read the article for Sebelius' comments, because the author himself is definitely biased. I did like this quote from the author, though:

And in more fun:

Study: Health Law to Raise Claims Cost 32%

http://news.yahoo.com/study-health-l...--finance.html

Naturally, the administration still continues to insist that costs will go down.

Let's see, whose words should I give more credence to: the administration who pushed for the legislation and whose name is irrevocably attached, success or failure, to the law as "Obamacare," or the Society of Actuaries, who " . . . are financial risk professionals who conduct long-range cost estimates for pension plans, insurance companies and government programs?"

Tough call!!
and the real fun doesn't even begin until 2014! yay!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #97
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Yeah, we have so much to look forward to....cannot wait.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #98
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Yeah, we have so much to look forward to....cannot wait.

thank goodness for cable and sports. #Distractions

Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #99
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Grayson was always a dick while in Congress so I think he was being serious as well.
Let's put it this way Bachmann said that Obamacare will literally "kill" people, now I get people might see it as a economic burden for alot of people and if they want to debate it on that merit go ahead, but what exactly in Obamacare is going to kill people? I guess one could make the argument that people will get a lesser care and by proxy some people might get misdiagnosed which leads to death but that completely ignores the 40M people who don't have medical coverage that might actually get saved so wouldn't that be a balancing act? And even if her point was supposed to be the lesser coverage will lead to more problems for people who do pay, why not word it that way.

In the case of Grayson his statement said that the Republicans don't want to do anything about the people who aren't covered(in which case they want to just leave him to die). People who want to make a counter argument to this will argue they already have Medicaid.

Now my original point was I think Grayson was going trying to be funny in his presentation(even if at some level he may believe it), while Bachmann sounded like she really believed Obamacare will "literally" kill people(either that or she was going all out for satire). Now one could argue Grayson's statement were in bad taste(saying Republicans want people to go die) or very simplistic in his interpretations but it doesn't change the fact that his point at least had some basis in reality(ie that the Health Care System we have for 40M people has it's far share of issues). Bachmann's comments on the other hand have no basis in reality(or very slim if she was trying to say that peoples coverage won't be as good and will cause problems)

Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #100
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Of course, if employers really cared about their bottom line, they would have campaigned harder for an option that eliminated healthcare from being their responsibility entirely...

Closed Thread