The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #76
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Default Re: Applebee's Fires Waitress For Posting Receipt from Pastor Complaining about Tippi

^^Someone earlier was talking about a sense of shame for not tipping. Those employers or whoever came up with the "let's pay waiters and waitresses jack @#$%" are the ones who should be ashamed.

http://myth-smith.com/

Last edited by RockSP; 02-03-2013 at 04:00 AM.
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #77
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: Applebee's Fires Waitress For Posting Receipt from Pastor Complaining about Tippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
*whew* then I better avoid it since I'm not a nerd.
everyone on SHH is a nerd

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #78
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Applebee's can't stop making it worse:

https://rlstollar.wordpress.com/2013...a-photo-essay/

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #79
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
Applebee's can't stop making it worse:

https://rlstollar.wordpress.com/2013...a-photo-essay/
I read this article, and this article is exactly why I hate the internet.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #80
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Why exactly is that? Seeing as you're posting on the the thing you hate.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #81
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

Quite a predicament he's gotten himself into here.

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #82
cryptic name
No Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
This is stupid of this pastor trying to get fame with this because now people in restaurants know her face. Someone will spit in her food after seeing this, but that's probably happened already considering her attitude.
I didn't even think about that, good point. Hopefully somebody with something nice and virulent spits in her food next time.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #83
Megarob
www.digitalbomb.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Do you honestly believe that waiters / waitresses make minimum wage???
I do, I know they do. They don't make anymore BECAUSE they make tips. That's where the saying "Living off their tips" comes from. That's also why its expected that they will go above and beyond to get that tip, because they need it.

Megarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #84
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Wait, Nell thinks we're lying about that? Hell, some waiters get paid less than minimum wage.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #85
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Why exactly is that? Seeing as you're posting on the the thing you hate.
A bunch of know it alls making accusations and demands on an anonymous forum, and then continue to attack attack attack when their target attempts to defend themselves.

Internet: "YOU SHOULD BE FIRED"
Applebees: "*releases politically correct statement of facts of situation*"
Internet: "OMG FIRE YOURSELF YOU SUCK SO MUCH"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megarob View Post
I do, I know they do. They don't make anymore BECAUSE they make tips. That's where the saying "Living off their tips" comes from. That's also why its expected that they will go above and beyond to get that tip, because they need it.
Servers don't make even minimum wage. That's my point. They make well below minimum wage.

You're grossly overestimating their income if you think they actually make minimum wage.

Quote:
Wait, Nell thinks we're lying about that? Hell, some waiters get paid less than minimum wage.
No, I don't think anyone is lying. I'm saying that the claim that servers make minimum wage is false because they make far less than that even.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #86
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
A bunch of know it alls making accusations and demands on an anonymous forum, and then continue to attack attack attack when their target attempts to defend themselves.

Internet: "YOU SHOULD BE FIRED"
Applebees: "*releases politically correct statement of facts of situation*"
Internet: "OMG FIRE YOURSELF YOU SUCK SO MUCH"
I don't see the problem.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #87
Megarob
www.digitalbomb.net

Quote:
Apparently?

Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #88
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
^^Someone earlier was talking about a sense of shame for not tipping. Those employers or whoever came up with the "let's pay waiters and waitresses jack @#$%" are the ones who should be ashamed.
I agree that the whole tipping system is dumb, but since it's all they have then, yes, a person ought to be ashamed for not leaving a tip.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #89
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Apparently?
No?

You made the claim that people don't have to tip. You backed that up by saying that tips are extra on top of them making minimum wage.

My comment to you was asking if you truly believe that servers make minimum wage. Because servers do not make minimum wage. They make an hourly rate a very significant amount below minimum wage. Tips are not an "extra". Tips are really their sole source of income. Not an "added bonus" as your post made it out to be.

So while technically, you are correct, a person does not have to tip, by doing so that person has pretty much worked for an hour for free. Under certain circumstances, if a customer does not tip, the server can even lose money by waiting on that table.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #90
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I've heard how servers get paid below minimum wage before tips before. How exactly is that legal? If a server doesn't receive enough tips during their shift to push their pay rate up to minimum wage, then isn't their employer breaking the law by paying them too little?

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #91
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Absolutely agreed, but we should still conscious of this fact and tip them for their work. I would like to have a word with that pastor. I'm far from godly, but writing that on the ticket like she was some saint and justifying her stupidity with her tithing makes me

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 02-03-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #92
Megarob
www.digitalbomb.net

Quote:
No?

You made the claim that people don't have to tip. You backed that up by saying that tips are extra on top of them making minimum wage.

My comment to you was asking if you truly believe that servers make minimum wage. Because servers do not make minimum wage. They make an hourly rate a very significant amount below minimum wage. Tips are not an "extra". Tips are really their sole source of income. Not an "added bonus" as your post made it out to be.

So while technically, you are correct, a person does not have to tip, by doing so that person has pretty much worked for an hour for free. Under certain circumstances, if a customer does not tip, the server can even lose money by waiting on that table.
Minimum wage is called minimum wage for a reason! It's the minimum a person can make, and it's also the law that you make at least that much.

My point was that nobody has to tip. Should everyone? Yes probably, but not everyone does, or will. Do I? Yes, always.

It's a moral rule, not a mandated rule.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #93
Trimmings
Side-Kick

I haven't been a server since 08 and that was in Ohio. The minimum wage for servers there and at that time was less than $4 if i remember correctly. It was almost exactly half of what non-tipping minimum wage was. Unless something has changed, there are two legally different minimum wages

Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #94
SlackBrian
Party Gorn

Quote:
Minimum wage is called minimum wage for a reason! It's the minimum a person can make, and it's also the law that you make at least that much.

My point was that nobody has to tip. Should everyone? Yes probably, but not everyone does, or will. Do I? Yes, always.

Many servers make less than minimum wage, due to tips. That's the only reason it's legal. Restaurants and whatnot are allowed to pay less than minimum wage, since it's expected the servers will make up the difference in tips. So, in many cases, servers need tips just to bring their wages up to what other people make in minimum.

I had a similar situation in a previous job. It wasn't in serving, but it was commission based. My base wage was $2 less per hour than minimum wage, but it was expected that my commission earnings would make up the difference.

Twitter: SlackBrian
SlackBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #95
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:

The minimum wage where I live is $7.50 per hour.

Servers where I live make $2.13 an hour.

That's less than half of the minimum wage.

So we still talking about how servers make minimum wage?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #96
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:

That raises a good point. In many jurisdictions, employers are allowed to deduct expected tips from the hourly wage a server works, so if a server is already being paid minimum wage, then that crap you described happens.

So if for those reading don't tip, or don't "believe in tipping" (whatever the **** that means) you are a total ****. If you can't afford it or don't like spending the money, don't eat out, it's as simple as that.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #97
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

If people stopped doing things they couldn't afford, the economy would literally implode on itself.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #98
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
everyone on SHH is a nerd
Or at least in denial.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #99
Megarob
www.digitalbomb.net

Quote:

The California min wage is $8.00 an hour. The same tipped and for not tipped. I looked it up just in case I was wrong. However it is different in other states, I didn't know that till now. So every case is different. But I still think just because the server or waitress is making less then everyone else, and is depending on people to tip, doesn't mean we are obligated to do so. They will work harder, be more efficient and MAKE that tip just so they can survive off the tips. Right? Isn't that the point?

I also agree with the statement of "if you're not going to tip, then don't go out to a restaurant" It should be known that there will be a (hopefully) hard working person ready to serve you with whatever you need in order to make that tip.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #100
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Servers make less than minimum wage. This is a commonplace practice you will find at pretty much every restaurant, and it's perfectly legal since the tips they make are expected to cover the difference. Far More often than not, the person serving you is making less than $3 an hour. Their tips are literally their entire income.