The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #226
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Default Re: February 20th - PlayStation 4 (?)

399 would be a perfect opening price for them. They can price a premium version for 499, but I'd want to see one version available for 400 bucks.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #227
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Not really. Tech gadgets are released at high prices all the time. Just because gamers are whiny brats doesn't make a difference.
Yes they are different. The 360 launched at $299/$399 and the PS3 launched at $499/$599.....look how well that price point did for Sony in its first year. One shouldn't look to the iPad as an example of how to set a pricing trend on a completely different type of hardware. It would make more sense to look at other consoles.

If we are going to compare the iPad and PS4 in terms of their gaming functionality, then fine you get an expensive iPad, but the content to be purchased is relatively cheap. An average game launches at $2.99. Some may be cheaper, some may be more expensive, but by and large that tends to be the standard price point. You pay a high upfront cost for the hardware, with relatively cheap software. The opposite is the case for consoles. The average starting price on a console today is $60. With the software being on the high end as is, one would hope to get a break on the hardware. $400 is already on the high end but a price that many would be willing to accept. Anything more than that is too much and likely wont sell too good. If either MS or Sony sell their system at $450 or higher, that would be a big mistake, and people will most likely wait for the first price drop. By then, there will have been better software out to help justify dropping money on them.

Last edited by Havok83; 02-19-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #228
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

$399 would be perfect (especially since that's what I paid for my 80gb Fat Ps3), but I just don't see that happening.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #229
Superhero 101
DESI

I think $400 is reasonable

Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #230
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Plenty of gamers have ipads and iphones as well. So they would $500 for those things, but not for a new console? Sounds like an entitlement issue then.
It's not entitlement at all. If someone can afford both a PS3 and an Ipad, then that's up to them, but for someone like me, who hasn't even bought a new game in over a year because I can afford it in my budget, it locks us out. And that was a big reason why Sony lost a lot of fans, since they said you can just get a second job to buy their overpriced system. I'm not saying I deserve to have a PS4, but rather for business practices, it is wiser to keep it in an affordable range for who they are targeting. Even the Vita got a lot of crap because the memory cards were small and expensive.

Like Havok said, its apples and oranges. The average consumer will buy an iPad for a specific purpose, which is to surf the web, play games, watch movies, etc. You can do the same with the PS3, but the people who will be most interested in the PS4 are gamers, who will primarily buy it for games. I know Sony and Microsoft have tried to expand themselves so that they can be overall entrainment consoles and provide something for everyone, which is why I said it depends on what else they offer, but for the average gamer (excluding the people who won't be outside of Gamestop waiting for a week), something over $400-$500 seems a bit much, and is something that people will most likely wait to see a price drop for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
399 would be a perfect opening price for them. They can price a premium version for 499, but I'd want to see one version available for 400 bucks.
Exactly, that's what I would imagine seeing.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #231
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I gotta say if its not called the "PS4" and instead called the Orbis I will be kinda sad...and I don't see it being unnecessary to changing PS Plus and the PSN to the PlayStation World....

I hope some of this is false rumors. Either way I suppose we are going to find out!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #232
Havok83
Side-Kick

They need to have a base model for $400 or lower. They cant have their least expensive model higher than that. If they did have one for $499, if it had a higher HDD AND PS3 BC, then I think that would be easier to swallow and something Id honestly consider, primarily bc I could trade my current PS3 towards it to offset that $100 difference

Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #233
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Well people do have to realize that Wii U set a price for the 8th generation. And it was 350, when they usually were 200/250 in the last two generations compared to the 300 to 400 jump.

And base models are just stupid usually especially at launch. The 360 original one was pointless....no hard drive, wired controller, it was just pointless. To get a HD back then and all the other features cost more than 400. Different SKU's may make some feel better psychologically but they are really pointless in my eyes and have been the past two generations. I would like to see just one model again.

So now that they set theirs at 350 a hundred dollar jump don't be at all surprised if MS AND SONY both jump their prices to 500. Consoles brand new use to be 180 or so with NES/SNES, but inflation does change that and it has been 7/8 years since the last console came out.

Sony messed up because of the proportion of price difference between a Wii/360 and them. It probably won't be a 50 dollar difference to the Wii U which is really a last generation tech console. I think both MS and them will jack their prices up.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #234
LuisTX85
Caped Crusader

Any chance Sony releases different colors for PS4 like Nintendo did for N64/GameCube&hand helds and MS does for special Xbox 360 bundles?

Doesn't matter But I'm kinda tired of White/Silver&Black for every console(although they look very nice),Would love to see a Midnight Blue or Metallic Green Ps4 or Xbox 3

Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #235
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Well I remember the first PS3 they showed was white and it looked better than the black but they scratched that.

I figure they might. But who knows?

I figure there will be two SKU's like Kotoku is reporting and most likely 400/500 respectably.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #236
Benstamania
Shot first.

There absolutely has to be a 400 dollar model. If they give us the 500-599 crap again...They're dead on arrival. I don't think Sony's that dumb... At least not dumb enough to do it twice.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #237
BatMatt
Side-Kick

Exactly, I would like to think Sony learned their lessons from their arrogant pricing and attitude of the PS3. $399 would be great in my opinion

Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #238
Raven X
Nevermore

instead of PS4, maybe they'll just call it Playstation ( just like MS might call the next XBOX simply XBOX ).

Disney Lover!!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #239
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
There absolutely has to be a 400 dollar model. If they give us the 500-599 crap again...They're dead on arrival. I don't think Sony's that dumb... At least not dumb enough to do it twice.
Again it's psychological with a base model. I mean the 360 base model was useless almost no HD which pretty much is required, and just a rip. In reality most bought the pro's and it just makes sense. Consoles have gone up in price for a long time. And that is the way it has always gone.

Will they do 600? I bet a million not. But I figure both MS and Sony will have 500 dollar ones. Most see the Wii U and Nintendo's consoles as toys, early adopters know that the Wii U is last gen tech with a touch screen. So if they get something that is 350 now, I figure MS and Sony to show they are the technological power houses will probably go around 500. I figure no more then that.

Though many Japanese extremely good sources from Kotku have said the PS4 has some model that is 400. But I know very few hardcore gamers that buy base models. Especially for launch. I figure the most expensive is easily 500. The core system/price of the 360 was purely psychological, it was something that I had a friend buy at launch and getting a hard drive/wireless was way more then 100 bucks.

But I remember when consoles brand new at launch were under 200, now their common to be 400, going to 500 is not some "shocker" or outrage. I personally was never bugged with the price of the PS3 at first, mainly because the cheapest Blu-Ray player was 800 bucks at that time. And Wi-Fi adapters for the first few years of the 360's life was around 150-100 dollars. To me the PS3 was worth it. However yes consumers complained. But I agree with Adam Sessler is they would have complained anyways, the biggest problem it had was it came out a year later. That really was the biggest thing that hurt them overall. Really when I would talk to friends in the end why they wanted to stick with the 360 was mainly because "All my friends are on 360" that seed of getting a head start really hurt them. Marketing hurt them badly too, the price hurt them too, but I think there were other factors with it.

But again I think the max they will go is 500 and almost guarantee it. They may have a 400 base, but I always just feel the base models are just terrible, the Wii U's base and 360 Core always irked me. But oh well.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #240
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
instead of PS4, maybe they'll just call it Playstation ( just like MS might call the next XBOX simply XBOX ).
But why would MS call their next console XBOX? There was a console called the XBOX...it was before the Xbox 360....

Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #241
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
But why would MS call their next console XBOX? There was a console called the XBOX...it was before the Xbox 360....
there was a console called the Playstation as well.

The rationale behind the speculation with both is how Apple just keeps the same name for their product but updates the name, as is done with the iPad, and iPod products

Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #242
Benstamania
Shot first.

I don't even expect multiple sku's... Price is key...I feel Sony will be willing to sell at a loss just to gain major ground. I've been saying 400-450 for about a year now and I'm gonna stick to it. If I'm wrong...So be it... I guess I just save up.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #243
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Yeah, there was a lot of talk about how Sony's arrogance with the PS3 launch was a humbling experience, and it's important to see how much they've learned from it. I know some people who felt the Vita was a bit pricey at launch, pretty much being the same price as the PS3, and even though they finally announced a price cut in Japan, they've come out and said there's no plans for a Western price cut anytime soon, so it's still hard to say that they are willing to operate at a loss so soon.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #244
Happy Jack
Iconographer

I'm fairly confident that the price will be the 399 to 450 range. There's no way it'll be in the mid to upper 500 area after the mistake that was initially pricing the PS3 at 599 U.S. dollars.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #245
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Again the pricing was not their main flaw a big one yes but part of a much bigger problem they had, the price was the most perceived one. The time gap and their terrible marketing/ego (that did result as well with the price) hurt it. Price sensitivities and elasticity is an odd thing and many other variables can effect the price sensitivities. Because in reality there was the 100 dollar jump with the 360. Which most bought the 400 dollar one. No one really complained. Same from the jump from the SNES to the PSOne. The PS1 was extremely more expensive almost double then what people were use to paying. To me seeing a 100 dollar more jump for both MS and Sony would not surprise me. But yea I agree with Beast and some others that the lower SKU will probably bee 400 or so.

The price is going to be 400/500 between the SKU's. But guess what? Almost guarantee we won't hear the price tomorrow. They will save that for E3. They could surprise us but most the time the initial showings don't have price/dates.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #246
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I would agree that the prices and release dates won't be revealed or discussed tomorrow, but there are articles from today saying they were leaked, so I'm not too sure now.

But part of me does feel like they'll pull a Nintendo and show it just to say it exists, but not say anything for a long time until the release date is near, just like Nintendo did with the WiiU.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #247
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I think since there is more of a fight between two consoles...well actually three (counting Steambox) they will probably give more info earlier then they did with the Wii U. I think E3 will be a big battleground.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #248
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

In somewhat related news, this is pretty interesting.

Quote:
PlayStation Is Giving Out Free Money
Check your PSN messages and cash in.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...SSGNs8.twitter

Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #249
LuisTX85
Caped Crusader

The release date likely won't be revealed until E3 But I hope the release year is,2013 or 14 being confirmed would be nice,.

I'm also guessing $500 is the max for PS4 and Xbox 3,I've already started saving,I've just got $50 down so far But I'll be saving $100 each month,I want BOTH consoles and so IF they both come out this year I'll be prepared,My 360&Ps3 trade-ins will mostly be used for games&accessories

Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #250
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

It will be released this year. All sources have been saying that. October or November. Both will be.