The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Default Re: February 20th - PlayStation 4 (?)

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of the Vita announcement where they showed a sizzle reel of loads of different games, and then got a few devs to talk about their upcoming projects.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #27
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

This is very intriguing, can we be fully sure though its going to be the PS4?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

Sure looks that way. Even the Wall Street Journal has had sources who tell them that it's the PS4.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

It does seem a high possibility but in the gaming industry I've been disappointed before expecting one thing but getting another...

Likely on the 20th I will take back my skepticism but until then I dunno.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
This is very intriguing, can we be fully sure though its going to be the PS4?
Well, there's no way to be 100% sure unless something leaks. I'm curious what you think the alternative might be though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of the Vita announcement where they showed a sizzle reel of loads of different games, and then got a few devs to talk about their upcoming projects.
I don't think there's going to be any big game announcements, but if there's a sizzle reel then I guess I would expect to see more of Watch Dogs, Star Wars 1313, Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain, Agni's Philosophy, etc.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #31
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

At first I thought they might just be advertising a showcase event and we'd all gotten carried away but I think they'd have been on damage control by now if it wasn't going to be the PS4.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Well, there's no way to be 100% sure unless something leaks. I'm curious what you think the alternative might be though.
Not many alternatives I can think of other than a massive game(s) announced like new sequels or a ridiculous price drop in the system. But I think announcements like another MGS or Uncharted would be saved for next-gen. So there really isn't any alternatives but you never know what can happen.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Oh ya, it's the PS4, Wall Street, and Blu-Ray.com Edge, ect ect, lots of big publications are saying it is the case, and they would have said that is not the case if so. Because they know it would anger lots of people to get hyped up for nothing.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #34
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Not many alternatives I can think of other than a massive game(s) announced like new sequels or a ridiculous price drop in the system. But I think announcements like another MGS or Uncharted would be saved for next-gen. So there really isn't any alternatives but you never know what can happen.
These investor PlayStation events don't happen every year, usually only when next gen hardware is coming out. I doubt they would get all the investors together just to announce a price drop, They've never done that. It's the PS4.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #35
BrollySupersj
Talent for disruption

Playstation 3 portable?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #36
SentinelMind
Banned User

Hmm...name, release date, price of PS4 in 18 days...cool stuff.

I'm interested as to their strategy of overcoming Microsoft's lead next generation. The Xbox brand is best thing to happen to Microsoft in a while.

Video game console manufacturers have to adapt, just like the Blockbuster/Barnes & Nobles of the world have or should have to adapt to new efficient business models of competitors. Sticking with ultra-hardcore exclusive games just isn't going to cut it for Sony in the next generation for Sony. Moving towards an overall social entertainment box is the model for the future...and Sony is pretty far behind in that aspect. They'd pretty much need something that can compete with Bing's search engine and more competitive apps and software.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #37
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I don't think Sony is far behind. Considering that their online gameplay option and Playstation Plus are better than what X-Box has to offer. Not mention getting to use apps like Netflix without having to pay twice for it.

The one area that X-Box has over Sony is the Live chat. I hope Sony improves on their chat options for the PS4. Maybe even a chat headset of their own that can plug into the controller.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Overcome what? Sony has sold more PS3's then the 360 as of January, and it had a year behind sales of the 360. Do they have to up there game more to become even more? Yes. They have learned from their mistakes. The programming for the PS4 according to Edge (who I do trust) source is extremely easy, slight more powerful. I think they know. However you won't get a date/price with this reveal, they will wait till E3 with that.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

We might get a year, but maybe not a full date. They might confirm whether it will be released in 2013 or 2014 though.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #40
Solidus
Kylo Ren

From Edge's good source it is this year, (which I will bet will be the case) and 2014 for Europe.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #41
SentinelMind
Banned User

Yep, that's what insiders are telling Wall Street Journal..

Sony's device will be released later this year, these people said, and will spar against Microsoft's own machine, which is also expected to be released by the holidays.

http://professional.wsj.com/article/...?mg=reno64-wsj

Kudos for CEO Hirai for throwing spectators off guard...

Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #42
SentinelMind
Banned User

Where are you getting that PS3 has now overtaken Xbox360? From same WSJ article...

Over time, Sony brought down the PS3's price and improved the machine's profit margins, but it still trails Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's Xbox 360 in overall units shipped.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #43
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
Yep, that's what insiders are telling Wall Street Journal..

Sony's device will be released later this year, these people said, and will spar against Microsoft's own machine, which is also expected to be released by the holidays.

http://professional.wsj.com/article/...?mg=reno64-wsj

Kudos for CEO Hirai for throwing spectators off guard...
Well I think there may be some truth in what Kaz said. I think they want to wait for MS to announce a price point ect. Let them make the first move on that. From another insider...actually the same one from Edge said that they upped the System RAM in the past 6 months to match that of the XBOX 3.

But ya, exciting times. Next gen is revving up, about time lol.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #44
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
Where are you getting that PS3 has now overtaken Xbox360? From same WSJ article...

Over time, Sony brought down the PS3's price and improved the machine's profit margins, but it still trails Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's Xbox 360 in overall units shipped.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...otal-shipment/

And these guys are usually very close/on the ball with their numbers. It was news a few weeks ago all over IGN and all the other big gaming sites.

Not anymore. And you have to remember, Sony has a vast international distribution system set up, they usually sell millions more in more undeveloped/second world countries. They just stopped making the PS2 and it was making them tons of money for a long time, same with the PS1. The PS3 since 08 has been selling more units worldwide then the 360.

Most likely 360 will not be selling in the countries Sony goes to as they did with the PS1 and PS2. So again they will continue to sell more. And it never surprised me.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #45
SentinelMind
Banned User

Ok, I see article here PS3 has sold more worldwide....Microsoft is only dominating in the US

..what's the difference between units shipped and sold???

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-xbox-360.aspx

Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #46
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

You ship 10 consoles to a store, but only sell 5 of them.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #47
SentinelMind
Banned User

ahh...thanks The Squirrel!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #48
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Well ya the more we buy, the more they ship. But all of them report shipped, MS, Sony, Nintendo ect.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #49
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Not anymore. And you have to remember, Sony has a vast international distribution system set up, they usually sell millions more in more undeveloped/second world countries. They just stopped making the PS2 and it was making them tons of money for a long time, same with the PS1. The PS3 since 08 has been selling more units worldwide then the 360.

ahh...so Sony can rely on Japan and other foreign country's xenophobia of America to succeed.... Pretty good strategy.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
Solidus
Kylo Ren

I never said that at all. Money is money it's business. They have a great system set up over the past decades for countries all over, it's more about distributions channels.

They need to work more on NA this round, and from all the good sources out there, they've come for full out war. Last time it was ignorance, they were the undisputed kings, and they did not expect MS to succeed this generation. So they have a good humbling lesson now.

Closed Thread