The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #976
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Default Re: February 20th - PlayStation 4 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Actually, Microsoft has a lot of in-house devs. The problem though is that the vast majority of them work on casual Kinect games or casual downloadable title for XBLA and Windows Phone.
I don't think a lot of those are in house though. I'm pretty sure I read that they have around 4. Maybe the bought some to make shovel ware. But last I heard that was not the case.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #977
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
I think when the next generation hits I'll maybe jump ship to Xbox. I bought an Xbox 360 recently after only ever having Playstation's my who life & the 360 is significantly a better console & online experience I feel compared to the PS3.

The only thing that might persuade me to stay with Sony for the PS4 would be if the Xbox 720? costs significantly more money, at this juncture.
Why though?

The reason the online was better with Live was mainly (especially now) the fact of cross chat. And a significantly better console how? Again I think about games and Sony has TONS more exclusive games then MS does. And if you look at my list above it speaks for it self with just IP's.

Now the PS4 with their new PSN has cross chat, amazing online features with Gaiki, and can do what live can do plus a whole lot more. Unless you really like Halo/Gears I would say that Sony may have more to offer. And their online service rigth now beats anything MS has. However we will have to wait to see what Live has in store with the third Xbox but without cloud servicing I doubt they could do the interesting things the PS4 can do like the sharing of stuff and virtually helping your friends which is such an amazing feature. I have a feeling you did not watch the whole event, did you just see the game trailers or did you see the whole segment they spent on the PSN?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #978
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Anyone know if the PS4 is backwards compatible so you can play PS3 games?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #979
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Default Re: February 20th - PlayStation 4 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
So let's play the fun game of 'What games will be announced at the PS4 reveal?'

I think a bunch of studios will be present, so I'll which devs could be there and what they'll reveal if they are.

Guerrilla - Killzone 4: Guerrilla's an interesting one. It's pretty obvious they have both a new IP and Killzone 4 in development right now, the question is just which comes first. Sony will obvious want to show big sequels as well as the promise of new IP. However I'd bet they're the furthest along with any next-gen sequel than the rest of the first-party devs so Killzone 4 will serve as the blockbuster sequel.

Sucker Punch - New IP: Here's where I'd place my new IP debut bet. Infamous 2 seemed like a good point to leave that series. Sucker Punch is bursting with potential and they've been silent for ages now. I think if they were doing Infamous 3, we'd have seen it this year on PS3.

Evolution - New racing IP: Evolution needs a new hook. I think MotorStorm was a really underrated franchise this gen, but after five separate entries you're going to need to freshen things up a little. I don't think the answer lies in a Need for Speed competitor or new racing sim but something... different. There's room for innovation in the genre, and they have the potential to bring it.

SCEJ - The Last Guardian: I think the smartest thing to do for The Last Guardian at this point is to move it onto PS4, and I'm hoping that's what Sony did a few years ago. It would likely be showing it's age stacked next to the rest of the games on display but it's really the only way to revitalize people's interest in the IP. It's simply been far too long since SOTC now for it to be a success on PS3.

Giant Sparrow - New IP: Hey! The PSN is still a thing and a big push for us! Here's this game to prove that!

Media Molecuel - Social IP: I'm pretty happy with the idea of Media Molecule working on a facebook-like game that will take advantage of the new system's social features.

Ubisoft - Watch Dogs: Ubisoft gets on board with new hardware asap. They have done so for a long time. There's no better platform for Watch Dogs' coming out party than to reveal its next-gen status at the PS4 debut. After the E3-buss Sony would do well to get the name associated with PlayStation. I really think we're going to see this game again on Feb 20th.

Kojima Productions - Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes/Metal Gear Solid V/The Phantom Pain: Kojima was there for the Vita reveal, and I'd lay down good money on him being there for the PS4 reveal. It may be multiplatform now, but Metal Gear is a PlayStation franchise, and this is another great way to gather third party buzz.

Naughty Dog - Uncharted 4: I wouldn't expect to see Naughty Dog at this event. However I think their PS4 debut will be an Uncharted game. I think then they'll do a new IP trilogy (maybe Jak 4 too), then they'll do one last Uncharted. So while I don't think the Dogs will be here straight away, I do expect to see Uncharted 4 sooner rather than later.
I'm going to give myself 4/9 for my guesses. We got Killzone 4, Watch Dogs, and Evolution's new racing IP. I'm being generous and awarding half a mark for new IP from Sucker Punch seeing as it's still not 'Infamous 3' and half a point for a new Media Molecule IP.

Take THAT, Mr 'I don't think we'll see any games' Soapy sir.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #980
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Also who do I have to kill to get this f***ing Hansell and Grettel adverts to stop popping up.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #981
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Here's your answer from sony them selves .

Sony: PSN purchases don't carry over to PS4

(32 minutes ago)

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida just told our friends at Engadget current-gen PSN purchases won't transfer across to the PS4.

In last night's PS4 announcement, Sony revealed the new console won't have backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2, or PS3 discs, although the company aims to use the PS Cloud service to stream previous-gen games as a workaround.
Source: Engadget

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #982
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
It's still kinda unknown, I don't think they flat out said no. But I don't think so. But they said they are going to make all PS1-PS3 games playable/downloadable on Gaiki. You can stream them download them or whatever.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #983
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
Here's your answer from sony them selves .

Sony: PSN purchases don't carry over to PS4

(32 minutes ago)

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida just told our friends at Engadget current-gen PSN purchases won't transfer across to the PS4.

In last night's PS4 announcement, Sony revealed the new console won't have backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2, or PS3 discs, although the company aims to use the PS Cloud service to stream previous-gen games as a workaround.
Source: Engadget
That's dumb and they better figure out a way to change that.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #984
zenith16
Side-Kick

Agreed

Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #985
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

The backwards capability is not a big deal, because I figured they would say no to that. But no PSN transfers? That should be easy as hell. So ya hope they change that.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #986
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I don't blame Sony for not flat out saying that the PS4 will be backward compatible.

Can you imagine the drop in current and future PS3 sales if they admitted the PS4 will play PS3 games?

But the PS cloud sounds crazy. I love living in the future.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #987
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya PSN is going for a huge upgrade and it looks good. The only low for me is that recent news of non-transfer of PSN stuff. Let's hope they change that.

But can't wait for this next gen. The Witness looks really interesting to me as well.

UPDATE: Not a surprise but press was told that they would be able to see/play the PS4 at E3.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #988
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Not surprised if it's not BC & PSN transfers don't carry over. Sucks but why would they turn down the free money they can make from reselling those games.

I really want to see and get one of these new controllers in hand. It seems like they took on board all the criticisms of the previous versions and addressed them all without making anything worse. I like it.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #989
Benstamania
Shot first.

If they want me to go digital they can NOT do things like "oh... Your PSN purchases don't carry over... Sorry". So what's to stop them from saying that the 60 dollar Ps4 games I buy digitally won't then transfer to the PS5?

This isn't a deal breaker but Microsoft could have an easy counter here... But they'll probably follow suit.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #990
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya but I bet Sony will change it. Like the rumble feature and PSN if we yell at em they will change it lol. To me they will get a lot of flak if they don't. I will yell at them. Not a deal breaker as you said but it is important.

Also I just read Sony said that you do not need to be online with the PS4. That's good.

Last edited by Solidus; 02-21-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #991
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I don't know if I care as much about backwards compatibility now than I did when the PS3 launched. I went into the PS3 and the Xbox 360 wanting that machine to replace the previous generation console I had. If I get the PS4 or NextBox, I am seriously not getting rid of my current consoles. My brother and I switch up, so whenever I have the PS3 he's got the 360 and vice versa. So, personally...I'm fine with no backwards compatibility.

I get that people are pissed about the console not being shown, but I think Sony got ahead of Microsoft anyway you cut it. E3 should still be interesting, which I imagine is where we'll see the console, get a launch date and a price. I was reading that there was speculation about last minute changes Sony had made on the hardware, like kicking up the RAM to 8 gigs, which is apparently a huge ****ing deal. I wonder, that if the speculation is true and Sony did make some of these hardware decisions last minute, if that'd explain why we didn't see what the console will look like.

I wonder if Sony wants Microsoft to blink first on the date and price.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #992
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Ya but I bet Sony will change it. Like the rumble feature and PSN if we yell at em they will change it lol. To me they will get a lot of flak if they don't. I will yell at them. Not a deal breaker as you said but it is important.

Also I just read Sony said that you do not need to be online with the PS4. That's good.
That's good.

Reading the rumors that the system needs to be online, and with Microsoft's that the kinnect needs to be functional and calibrated, were all off putting for me. We'll see if Microsoft goes that route, but I think we'd all be better off if they don't either.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #993
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Backwards compatibility is a huge deal breaker for me. Why alienate people with large game collections, you know, the loyal customers?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #994
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Alot of those bullet points goes the same for most games designed in the modern era. PC games, to my knowledge, have recently been designed with game controllers in mind since so many PC gamers do infact use a 360 controller to play games on their PC.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #995
Smegger56
The Smegginator

My thoughts? To give you an idea of my reaction, here's an image I whipped up to show you:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Pretty much this

Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #996
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
The backwards capability is not a big deal, because I figured they would say no to that. But no PSN transfers? That should be easy as hell. So ya hope they change that.
Well they go hand in hand. All PSN purchases are either PS1, PS2 or PS3 games. The system would have to be BC for those to transfer

Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #997
Superhero 101
DESI

I hope Gaikai can really deal with the BC issues I mean when they said eventually it could be BC in Sony terms that means "In another 2-3 years or never"

Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #998
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
I don't know if I care as much about backwards compatibility now than I did when the PS3 launched. I went into the PS3 and the Xbox 360 wanting that machine to replace the previous generation console I had. If I get the PS4 or NextBox, I am seriously not getting rid of my current consoles. My brother and I switch up, so whenever I have the PS3 he's got the 360 and vice versa. So, personally...I'm fine with no backwards compatibility.

I get that people are pissed about the console not being shown, but I think Sony got ahead of Microsoft anyway you cut it. E3 should still be interesting, which I imagine is where we'll see the console, get a launch date and a price. I was reading that there was speculation about last minute changes Sony had made on the hardware, like kicking up the RAM to 8 gigs, which is apparently a huge ****ing deal. I wonder, that if the speculation is true and Sony did make some of these hardware decisions last minute, if that'd explain why we didn't see what the console will look like.

I wonder if Sony wants Microsoft to blink first on the date and price.
The extra RAM will be a big deal the longer the gen goes on and will address one of the key weaknesses of the PS3. I also think backward compatibility is less crucial than it once was. I can see most people doing the same and hanging on to their PS3s & 360s even if they upgrade.

Is the holiday 2013 release date a rumour or confirmed? And what does that mean..Thanksgiving or Xmas?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #999
Nathan

I wonder how the game streaming will work. Do you pay a monthly fee? Does it come automatically with PSN +? If you don't want to sub PSN +, can you just pay a small fee, if you just want to play a particular game?

PSN on PS4 should register which games you bought on the PS3, and let you you stream those games with no cost.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #1000
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

I dunno, people have been complaining for years that Sony hasn't restructured PSN. If to do that, and completely change the structure PSN...it may explain why it wouldn't transfer.

But, they're smart people behind the scenes. I'm sure if people *****ed enough, they would crack that nut and make it happen.

Also, they might just try and cash grab it. I feel like that's what Sony has done with the PS2 games lately. I can't use the disc I have of GTA San Andreas but I can digitally repurchase it and play it on the system.

If that's the case, then they should seriously reconsider.

Closed Thread