The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
darkthunderbird
Newbie First Class

Default The beginning sequence of the DOFP

The simple beginning of the FC was a big disappointment for me even the X on the Fox intro didn't stay. Since Bryan Singer is the director now, I'm hoping for a thrilling intro scene similar to the X1 and X2 where the DNA's and mutations flow through the screen with the logo and the final cut to the cerebro's door.

Any thoughts?

darkthunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: The beginning sequence of the DOFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthunderbird View Post
The simple beginning of the FC was a big disappointment for me even the X on the Fox intro didn't stay. Since Bryan Singer is the director now, I'm hoping for a thrilling intro scene similar to the X1 and X2 where the DNA's and mutations flow through the screen with the logo and the final cut to the cerebro's door.

Any thoughts?
I found them tremendously cheesy even back then, and I was pretty young when the first movie came out... It always felt like one more reminder that WE ARE WATCHING A SUPERHERO MOVIE, almost like the opening credits to a cartoon. First Class got it right, diving right into the story with the very first shot. In doing that, it felt more "realistic" (as strange as it sounds). Singer's opening always felt like a big disclaimer that we needed to suspend disbelief for the next 2 hours. Which I suppose made sense at a time before superhero movies were commonplace and treated like "normal" or even "Oscar snubbed" films.

But times have changed, and so have superhero movies. So hopefully Singer won't be using those god-awful opening sequences again. Regardless of how good the movie may turn out to be, starting with that stupid thing would bring down the entire movie in my eyes. It's been more than 10 years since the first X-Men movie, and reusing those credits would be a sign to me that he hasn't evolved as a director at all.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I found them tremendously cheesy even back then, and I was pretty young when the first movie came out... It always felt like one more reminder that WE ARE WATCHING A SUPERHERO MOVIE, almost like the opening credits to a cartoon. First Class got it right, diving right into the story with the very first shot. In doing that, it felt more "realistic" (as strange as it sounds). Singer's opening always felt like a big disclaimer that we needed to suspend disbelief for the next 2 hours. Which I suppose made sense at a time before superhero movies were commonplace and treated like "normal" or even "Oscar snubbed" films.

But times have changed, and so have superhero movies. So hopefully Singer won't be using those god-awful opening sequences again. Regardless of how good the movie may turn out to be, starting with that stupid thing would bring down the entire movie in my eyes. It's been more than 10 years since the first X-Men movie, and reusing those credits would be a sign to me that he hasn't evolved as a director at all.
You always seem bad all you have to do with X1 & X2, when it comes to First class everything is great.The beginning of X1 and X2 is amazing.

Alison Blaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I found them tremendously cheesy even back then, and I was pretty young when the first movie came out... It always felt like one more reminder that WE ARE WATCHING A SUPERHERO MOVIE, almost like the opening credits to a cartoon. First Class got it right, diving right into the story with the very first shot. In doing that, it felt more "realistic" (as strange as it sounds).
I get your point, and while it was nice back in the day, Id like the more realistic aproach for upcoming sequels too.

The DNA intro is kind of similar to the Spiderman movies intros, so yes, Id preffer the x-men movies to feel more serious and adult and less "superhero/summer blockbuster".

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

The beginning of X3 is also good, but the beginning of first class is a copy of X1.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
psyonic
X-Man

I think the opening sequence for DoFP should obviously be the manufacturing of the Sentinels. Also, I would like to see the name trailers again, the X2 one was so cool.

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
The beginning of X3 is also good, but the beginning of first class is a copy of X1.
they are talking about the ADN intro, before the very first scene of the movies.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Might be interesting, if they're going to collide past and future with this, to begin with X1's opening Mutation monologue, only this time spoken by McAvoy... I dunno...

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
they are talking about the ADN intro, before the very first scene of the movies.
I really love this monologue.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Since they would probally beguin In future they would likely have Patrick Stewert do
voiceover at begining.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Since they would probally beguin In future they would likely have Patrick Stewert do
voiceover at begining.
I'd love to.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

X1, X2, and FC had fantastic openings. I liked X3's Angel scene. The one with Jean's parent's leaving the room so she could talk to two strange men alone was pretty stupid though.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Snikt
Side-Kick

For all the hate X3 gets, at least it did its part in trying to follow suit with Singer's films.

I still had the FOX logo fading, with "X" being the last to fade, still had the DNA chain and we still got the Cerebro doors closing; although MUCH faster than the previous two.

I still would've liked the deleted Xavier monologue.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Angamb
Banned User

the quality of the full movie >>>>> initial credits sequence.

so dont care about the X or the cerebro door, sorry.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I think a fresh credits sequence would be best. The existing ones belong to those films from many years ago, and although they are elegant and stylish and indicate a cool sci-fi take on the comics, things have moved on.

It already felt a bit strange to me when the X1 Auschwitz sequence was re-created for First Class. So it's probably time now for something different.

Maybe some graphics that indicate time travel and alternate realities, to convey the underlying concepts of the story.

We don't need to see an indication of DNA and mutation now that the X-Men are established.

But Angamb is right. The film as a whole is far more crucial than a few seconds of swirling CGI at the start.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
def28
Side-Kick

I hope they do give us a cool credit sequence in some manner. I always get hyped at those.

def28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I like opening credit sequences. Not sure what the complaint is with them. They make the movie seem like a comic book film? Well, it kinda is...

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
the quality of the full movie >>>>> initial credits sequence.

so dont care about the X or the cerebro door, sorry.
Well, yes I agree. I'm just giving them props for keeping the same openings.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Well, it depends if that Cerebro door exists in the past or future settings of the film.

No problems with an opening credits sequence, but I think a hit at time travel and alternate realities is the way to go.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think a fresh credits sequence would be best. The existing ones belong to those films from many years ago, and although they are elegant and stylish and indicate a cool sci-fi take on the comics, things have moved on.

It already felt a bit strange to me when the X1 Auschwitz sequence was re-created for First Class. So it's probably time now for something different.

Maybe some graphics that indicate time travel and alternate realities, to convey the underlying concepts of the story.

We don't need to see an indication of DNA and mutation now that the X-Men are established.

But Angamb is right. The film as a whole is far more crucial than a few seconds of swirling CGI at the start.
It wasn't that long ago. With that logic why not change the new Star Wars movies intros? Personally I'd love if Patrick Stewart did another voice over. This will be Bryan Singer's 3rd 1/2 X-Men film he might as well IMO!

Great Mind(s) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #21
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
You always seem bad all you have to do with X1 & X2, when it comes to First class everything is great.The beginning of X1 and X2 is amazing.
Yes, because First Class is DEFINITELY superior to X1 and better than X2 as well (though people are divided on the X2 vs FC front, which I understand). It's only natural that people on this FIRST CLASS SEQUEL forum praise FC. And liking FC doesn't mean you have to like the original trilogy. I used to love the first two movies but to me when it comes to First Class, there's no contest. X1 and 2 haven't aged well at all (not even going to discuss X3 and Wolverine because they do not exist in my mind) and again, seeing as how this is a FIRST CLASS forum, I'm totally allowed to have that opinion. Just because there's a good chance there will be some old cast in this film does not mean they're making X4... I think if you'll be watching DOFP hoping for it to be X4 you're going to be pretty disappointed.

And no, the beginning of X1 & X2, that whole "evolution leaps forward" speech, is tacky and unnecessary, just as it was 12 years ago. Even moreso when it's the SEVENTH X-Men film.

Last edited by blueserenity; 11-20-2012 at 09:29 PM.
blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Actully this Is days of future past forum.And I disagree with First Class better than X2.
X-Men and X2 are among my most rewatched comic book films.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #23
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
voiceover at begining.
How awesome would it be if the voiceover alternated between Stewart's and McAvoy's voices for the majority of the opening monologue, and at the very last line, they speak simultaneously?

It would sort of drive home the point of past and future colliding with each other.

5-.-2-.-14

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #24
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
How awesome would it be if the voiceover alternated between Stewart's and McAvoy's voices for the majority of the opening monologue, and at the very last line, they speak simultaneously?

It would sort of drive home the point of past and future colliding with each other.
Id like something like that!! well done of course. really good idea

Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #25
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
I get your point, and while it was nice back in the day, Id like the more realistic aproach for upcoming sequels too.

The DNA intro is kind of similar to the Spiderman movies intros, so yes, Id preffer the x-men movies to feel more serious and adult and less "superhero/summer blockbuster".
so we have to ground animated intros for super hero films now lol

WTF is happening here

lets get rid of marvel comic stripe intro too

too comic booky

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote