The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Actors from Original trilogy returning for a possible Days of Future past?
Ellen Page as Shadowcat 67 41.36%
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine 105 64.81%
Halle Berry as Storm 56 34.57%
Anna Paquin as Rogue 55 33.95%
James Marsden as Cyclops 82 50.62%
Ben Foster as Angel 28 17.28%
Kelsey Grammer as Beast 46 28.40%
Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler 49 30.25%
Shawn Ashmore as Iceman 48 29.63%
Famke Janssen as Jean Grey 64 39.51%
Taylor Kitsch as Gambit 39 24.07%
Daniel Cudmore as Colossus 44 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #201
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's bad storytelling to just dump characters with no explanation.
it's a 10 year gap... i don't think you need to explain why some are gone.. it's not like they explained sabretooth and toads absence in X2 (and please... no they didn't die)

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #202
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Moira should have a better arc during the series, not only just FC.

This series is about the origins and evolution of the original team along with Charles. Charles needs his lovestory with Moira. She doesnt even need to work with the CIA anymore.

To introduce such an important character from Charles history and sign a great actress as Rose Bryne and then drop her on the sequel is such a wrong decision.

To drop so many characters from one movie to another is bad storytelling and a wrong direction for this franchise
How is it bad storytelling? Her story is practically over... You could not have her come back and nobody would question her whereabouts because we saw her ending in FC. EMMA on the other hand...THAT would be bad storytelling...

"Moira" would be the one character not coming back that wouldn't...shall I say, make the movies look messy.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #203
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
it's a 10 year gap... i don't think you need to explain why some are gone.. it's not like they explained sabretooth and toads absence in X2 (and please... no they didn't die)
In X2, in the president's office, the conversation with Stryker does refer to mutants captured at Liberty Island, so there is some acknowledgement. It's also nicely non-specific. In fact, Toad was originally set to feature in X2 as a prisoner at Stryker's base, where there was a fight scene with Nightcrawler.

Chat to me on Twitter @ TheGeekFiles
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #204
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
How is it bad storytelling? Her story is practically over... You could not have her come back and nobody would question her whereabouts because we saw her ending in FC. EMMA on the other hand...THAT would be bad storytelling...

"Moira" would be the one character not coming back that wouldn't...shall I say, make the movies look messy.
Well, most of the mainstream audience may not question it, but her mind wasn't totally wiped and she does still work for the CIA, who may still be involved in mutant monitoring/investigations. She could be the one to visit Charles with files showing that Angel Salvadore and Riptide had been captured.

From a fans' viewpoint - and also from the perspective of doing Singer's clean-up and building a cohesive continuity - it would be nice to see her decide to set up a haven and research centre for mutants on Muir Island. Perhaps it begins as a prison for mutants like Riptide and Angel Salvadore, or at least that could be the reason the CIA funds and establishes the centre and agrees she should go there.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #205
psyonic
X-Man

In a ten year period, Moira could have gotten her Ph.D in Genetics.

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #206
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
In X2, in the president's office, the conversation with Stryker does refer to mutants captured at Liberty Island, so there is some acknowledgement. It's also nicely non-specific. In fact, Toad was originally set to feature in X2 as a prisoner at Stryker's base, where there was a fight scene with Nightcrawler.
Oh i know... And still wish it happened

[=]
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #207
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
I didn't know that! It could have cool to see Toad again. He's the only mutant in X1 that didn't comeback for a 2nd movie.

Quote:
There's no need to being back Moira...you could say her story is essentially over. Her mind has been wiped, the X-Men are no longer part of the CIA..why have her come back and muck it up?
To me, the only reason why Moira has to comeback is to show that she and Charles are still in speaking terms and she appeared in X3. They have to build a bridge between her appearance in First Class and her appearance in X3. Plus if the government will play a role in this movie, I think it would be fitting to bring back Moira.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-07-2013 at 07:30 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #208
Angamb
Banned User

Charles doesnt deserve a love interest, I see

cool

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #209
Marv
Banned User

Quote:
It's bad storytelling to just dump characters with no explanation.
I disagree and I think its the opposite. To bring back characters with zero relevance to the plot is bad storytelling. Like Reginald Veljohnson in Die Hard 2. Did we really need that scene with him? Or all the stuff with Scott and Xavier in Origins. We really didn't need to see any of that.

If Moira isn't part of Days of Future Past, why bring her in 10 years later?

Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #210
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Charles doesnt deserve a love interest, I see

cool
What is the point of bringing a character back if their only story arc is being a love interest for another character. The movie is already bloated as it is and seems likely that someone has to go. Moira has finished her story arc and is one of the few characters in First Class that could easily leave without having to expain her absence. In fact I'd go far enough to say that the DOFP will need to explain why she's still there as many believe that her mind has been wiped. At the very least Charles erased the location of his school from her memory so she wouldn't be able to find him to start a relationship with him.

And face it Charles has a lot going on for him he really wouldn't be in the right state for a relationship anyway.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #211
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I think Moira could still be a part of the story in DoFP if the CIA are involved in the plot somehow. But yeah, if she's not in the movie I don't think that her absence requires an explanation.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #212
The Guard
Side-Kick

Moira's probably the character I've been most disappointed in throughout this franchise. They just missed the point entirely.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #213
Great Mind(s)
Broken

She was...Moira in X3...just had a real small role. But that was, like, actual Moira.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #214
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Moira in X3 should just be this Moira's daughter or something... Moira with an accent is so much better

[=]
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #215
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I disagree and I think its the opposite. To bring back characters with zero relevance to the plot is bad storytelling. Like Reginald Veljohnson in Die Hard 2. Did we really need that scene with him? Or all the stuff with Scott and Xavier in Origins. We really didn't need to see any of that.

If Moira isn't part of Days of Future Past, why bring her in 10 years later?
Simple. Because we're trying to make this feel like a proper, well-connected franchise with good continuity. At present, we have American accent Moira in the CIA and, 30 years later if we accept X1-X3 were in the 1990s, we have Scottish accent Moira at a medical/science facility that we could easily assume was intended to be Muir Island.

If they're trying to connect the dots, then she could have a small part in the story, either in this film or the next. It's not absolutely vital but it would give the franchise a more cohesive feel if they gave an arc from First Class Moira to X3 Moira.

We don't know exactly how much was erased from her mind but, even if she can't recall the location of the mansion, it wouldn't be difficult for the CIA to find the Charles Xavier residence!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #216
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Simple. Because we're trying to make this feel like a proper, well-connected franchise with good continuity. At present, we have American accent Moira in the CIA and, 30 years later if we accept X1-X3 were in the 1990s, we have Scottish accent Moira at a medical/science facility that we could easily assume was intended to be Muir Island.

If they're trying to connect the dots, then she could have a small part in the story, either in this film or the next. It's not absolutely vital but it would give the franchise a more cohesive feel if they gave an arc from First Class Moira to X3 Moira.

We don't know exactly how much was erased from her mind but, even if she can't recall the location of the mansion, it wouldn't be difficult for the CIA to find the Charles Xavier residence!
only crazy people think the X-trilogy is in the 90s... don't shoe horn things to make sense.

[=]
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #217
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:

But X3 Moira was like..the same age as First Class Moira! How could they fix this???

Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #218
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
only crazy people think the X-trilogy is in the 90s... don't shoe horn things to make sense.
It can't be any later. Young Xavier was aged 12 in 1944, and thus aged 30 at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Patrick Stewart's Xavier was in his 60s, which is not that much more than 30 years later than 1962.

There's no other way for it to fit. Unless you want us to believe Xavier was 90 or something in the original trilogy. Don't be stubborn, answer the door to common sense!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #219
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
But X3 Moira was like..the same age as First Class Moira! How could they fix this???
To me, the X3 Moira looked to be in her 50s. So, assuming a 30-year-or-so gap between First Class and X3, she would be in her 20s in First Class. That fits. Rose Byrne was 31 when First Class was filmed.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #220
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
It can't be any later. Young Xavier was aged 12 in 1944, and thus aged 30 at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Patrick Stewart's Xavier was in his 60s, which is not that much more than 30 years later than 1962.

There's no other way for it to fit. Unless you want us to believe Xavier was 90 or something in the original trilogy. Don't be stubborn, answer the door to common sense!
that's just it.... IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE PERIOD. NO AMOUNT OF FORCING IT TO WORK WILL MAKE IT WORK lol. (that's the common sense)

please for the sake of all that is mutant, let's not get into this discussion again.

it actually makes more sense to just say "mutants age slower" than it is to try to shift the entire X-trilogy back a decade, even though there's plenty of technology, pop culture references, and VERY era specific things in the film from what's on the radio, to types of cars they drive, to the clothes on there backs.

[=]
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #221
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
To me, the X3 Moira looked to be in her 50s. So, assuming a 30-year-or-so gap between First Class and X3, she would be in her 20s in First Class. That fits. Rose Byrne was 31 when First Class was filmed.
Olivia Williams was around 37/38 when X3 was shot (no way did she look 50), meaning a 6/7 year gap between the ages of Byrne and Williams when they played Moira.

The Moira timeline just doesn't work in the X-Men films unless you're willing to believe a 30 years age gap exists and a 38 year old woman is actually 50. Moira is a big continuity error in the franchise, but one the makers of First Class were happy to wash over in order to tell the story they wanted.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #222
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
... Rose Byrne looks nothing like a 20 year old imo

[=]
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #223
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Well, I'll be interested to see what sort of continuity 'clean-up' Singer ends up doing. It's going to need an industrial scale deep-clean not a quick flick round with a duster!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #224
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I like the idea that Scottish Moira is her daughter...

Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #225
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
Olivia Williams was around 37/38 when X3 was shot (no way did she look 50), meaning a 6/7 year gap between the ages of Byrne and Williams when they played Moira.

The Moira timeline just doesn't work in the X-Men films unless you're willing to believe a 30 years age gap exists and a 38 year old woman is actually 50. Moira is a big continuity error in the franchise, but one the makers of First Class were happy to wash over in order to tell the story they wanted.
Yeah I don't think it matters. Everyone is too wrapped up in continuity. If anything, maybe Moira had a daughter with a Scotsman or Irishman while tending to Charles in the early 60's, and that would explain The Last Stand Moira. Just a thought. Maybe they kill this Moira (Rose Byrne) off somewhere in the trilogy, and Charles looks after her daughter, or at least they give that perception without spelling it out on film. I don't think it is a huge leap in login. Emma Frost in Wolverine, same deal. It was not actually Emma Frost, just some poser. The movies may choose to spell it out for us, but at the expense of precious run time when other things need exploration? Just fill in the blanks yourself.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote