The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #226
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
really? holy *****. I totally missed that! i need to watch that movie again!
Oh wait, I think I'm confusing my origins. He might have gotten it from his fortress.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #227
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
I don't see why everything has to be technological for the sake of technology. I grant you Superman comes from Krypton which presumably could have that technology to make nano-suits, but why can't it be just a regular superhero costume?

Do we need explanations for everything? We didn't get any explanation for why Chris Reeve flew out of the fortress after a 10 year tutelage under Jor-El wearing a blue and red spandex suit with a red cape. The movie worked and is still to this day one of the greatest superhero movies ever made!

Have the Nolan movies caused a need for everything to be hyper real? It's a comic book for god sakes!

Supermans costume has to fit in with Kryptons world and history,I think a regular super hero costume would stick out like a sore thumb tbh with everything else being 'realistic' around it,and a modern audience has to buy how he hides or doesn't hide boots and a cape and a prominent chest shield under clothes,or where he keeps it,how he conceals it,and as the story has flying aliens and space ships I don't think a nano suit explanation would be that hard for the general audience to buy,again,it's just us fans who will nitpick and dislike certain changes made to a character and world that we know and love so much.

We do need some explanation in this day and age,I'm afraid people just wouldn't buy the way STM explained or didn't explain what you describe above,it was a magical movie that had us open mouthed believing a man could fly,and that was enough to make us gloss over certain plot holes or unexplained things,but nowadays people don't seem to have that almost childlike wide eyed wonder of seeing a man fly on screen anymore,it's a shame that it has lost it's magic somewhat,I'm thinking this film might actually give us these feelings back again,fingers crossed on that,but the trailers have me almost believing.

This is not a cartoony comic book movie,obviously it's a comic book character and they are using source material and staying true to the character,but this is a live action film that is trying to be realistic while also keeping the 'super' and comic book element of having super powered advanced tech aliens on Earth,I don't think they are trying to be hyper real,but we'll just have to wait until June to see how it comes over.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #228
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

It's very feasible to hide that costume under oversized clothes. Why do people think Clark will wear form fitting business suits? And the cape? Well he's Superman, he can compress the cape to be small enough to fit under his business suit...simple explanation there...but oh noooo, people need long drawn out technical explanations and realism and fantasy all in the same movie. Drives me nuts

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #229
SuperWig
Side-Kick

If I had to wear a costume under a costume I would be highly uncomfortable. Nana tech the crap out of Supes

Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #230
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWig View Post
If I had to wear a costume under a costume I would be highly uncomfortable. Nana tech the crap out of Supes
You would be uncomfortable because you would be able to feel the suit constricting your body movements...he's Superman. He wouldn't feel any of that

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #231
fanboiii
disciple of truth

He could do it the manual way. Take off clothes, put on suit. lol

Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #232
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
He could do it the manual way. Take off clothes, put on suit. lol
well, it's not like it would be time consuming...but then that would pretty much eliminate the shirt rip scene

Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #233
Super Kal
Side-Kick

or he could simply take off the cape and leave the rest of the suit on... after all, Superman does have super-speed...

Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #234
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
It's very feasible to hide that costume under oversized clothes.
Take a look at that cape attachment. There's no way he can hide that under his clothes and not look suspicious. And those gauntlets? Forget about it.

Quote:
Why do people think Clark will wear form fitting business suits? And the cape? Well he's Superman, he can compress the cape to be small enough to fit under his business suit...simple explanation there...but oh noooo, people need long drawn out technical explanations and realism and fantasy all in the same movie. Drives me nuts
This movie is supposed to address what would happen if Superman appeared in the real world. That means that pretty much everything but Superman himself is supposed to work the same as it would in the real world. Obviously, because it's a movie, some liberties will be taken and there needs to be some suspension of disbelief (not to mention that there are some things that absolutely must remain as they are), but there is such a thing as stretching it too thin. In a semi-realistic universe, wearing that costume under a business suit without looking like you have something to hide is almost impossible.

Besides: Superman is more sci-fi than outright fantasy.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #235
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
You would be uncomfortable because you would be able to feel the suit constricting your body movements...he's Superman. He wouldn't feel any of that
Yes he would. Superman can feel things. He knows when he touches something or when something touches him. Things may not harm him, but he will know if something is constrictive and annoying. And I doubt even Superman wants to spend all day feeling annoyed.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #236
Super Kal
Side-Kick

so how does the suit appearing out of nowhere become more realistic over Superman simply folding up his cape?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #237
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Take a look at that cape attachment. There's no way he can hide that under his clothes and not look suspicious. And those gauntlets? Forget about it.

This movie is supposed to address what would happen if Superman appeared in the real world. That means that pretty much everything but Superman himself is supposed to work the same as it would in the real world. Obviously, because it's a movie, some liberties will be taken and there needs to be some suspension of disbelief (not to mention that there are some things that absolutely must remain as they are), but there is such a thing as stretching it too thin. In a semi-realistic universe, wearing that costume under a business suit without looking like you have something to hide is almost impossible.

Besides: Superman is more sci-fi than outright fantasy.

I'm still willing to bet that if he put on a large shirt, a coat that's too big and has his collar buttoned all the way up, you'd never notice...

Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #238
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Yes he would. Superman can feel things. He knows when he touches something or when something touches him. Things may not harm him, but he will know if something is constrictive and annoying. And I doubt even Superman wants to spend all day feeling annoyed.
What I mean is, it wouldn't annoy him. Of course he can feel things, but he wouldn't feel annoyed like a normal human would. If you hit me with a rock, it's gonna hurt...you hit him with a rock, nothing...

Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #239
Super Kal
Side-Kick

this is why i kind of frown on the whole "realistic" approach for Superman...
Batman is realistic. Superman is not.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #240
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
so how does the suit appearing out of nowhere become more realistic over Superman simply folding up his cape?
nanotechnology...it's the answer to EVERYTHING!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #241
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm still willing to bet that if he put on a large shirt, a coat that's too big and has his collar buttoned all the way up, you'd never notice...
They'd have to be ridiculously large, I think. He'd just end up drawing attention to himself.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #242
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
They'd have to be ridiculously large, I think. He'd just end up drawing attention to himself.
The cuffs are the only thing that might be somewhat tricky to conceal, but if he wore a coat all day...it wouldn't be much of a problem

Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #243
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
This.

Quote:
I never said it was. That's another realistic explanation to the problem. I wasn't even thinking about the cape when I wrote my posts.

Quote:
this is why i kind of frown on the whole "realistic" approach for Superman...
Batman is realistic. Superman is not.
Batman's not that realistic. And the point isn't that Superman himself is realistic; rather, it's everything around him. Including his costume.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #244
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
The cuffs are the only thing that might be somewhat tricky to conceal, but if he wore a coat all day...it wouldn't be much of a problem
I'm pretty sure you'd still see the triangular shape of the cape attachment. It wouldn't flatten out just because he put a coat on.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #245
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
nanotechnology...it's the answer to EVERYTHING!!!
lol... on that, though, i see that as a cheap cop-out for the sake of change, and completely unnecessary use of computer graphics.

i can totally live with him having his suit underneath his regular clothes... that doesnt bother me at all, just like i can believe that glasses, a change of voice, a change in stature, and a change in presence makes him virtually a different person. not everything has to be explained in complete detail... that's the fantasy part of it.

sometimes the simplest explanation is better than an extremely detailed one...

today, kids need each and every little thing explained to them in complete, fine, strenuous detail... gone are the days in which one could just rely on fantasy and just say "hey, it's Superman" and smile.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #246
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you'd still see the triangular shape of the cape attachment. It wouldn't flatten out just because he put a coat on.
Do you wear a suit and tie all day? You wear a shirt that's too big, a coat that's too big and you can cover that up...

Quote:
lol... on that, though, i see that as a cheap cop-out for the sake of change, and completely unnecessary use of computer graphics.

i can totally live with him having his suit underneath his regular clothes... that doesnt bother me at all, just like i can believe that glasses, a change of voice, a change in stature, and a change in presence makes him virtually a different person. not everything has to be explained in complete detail... that's the fantasy part of it.

today, kids need each and every little thing explained to them in complete, fine, strenuous detail... gone are the days in which one could just rely on fantasy and just say "hey, it's Superman" and smile.
They are pretty much telling us that we are stupid and have no imagination at all these days....it's sad that people have become so obsessed with having all movies be realistic. Get over it. Fantasy books and comic books should NOT be realistic folks...

Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #247
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Batman's not that realistic.
out of all the DC characters, i see Batman as one of the closest characters that could come close to being real...

Quote:
... Including his costume.
thats the problem though. his costume isn't real. the costume is entirely and pure fantasy. the realistic truth is, no one is going to go around in a suit like that in today's society... thats just the honest truth.

you dont need realistic answers to solve questions based in fantasy... thats what fantasy is all about. if you try to make fantasy too realistic, you lose the most important part of fantasy... the mystery... you take away the mystery, it's no longer fantasy... thats what superman is: fantasy; mystery. everything about Superman is fantasy and mystery.

i can watch Superman the Movie and see a fantasy character in the real world, let go of all this realism, and watch a good fantasy movie. dont make Superman complicated. make him easy to understand. make him look easy to understand. thats what kids like.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #248
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
i can totally live with him having his suit underneath his regular clothes...
I can suspend my disbelief for his classic suit, but not for this one.

Quote:
that doesnt bother me at all, just like i can believe that glasses, a change of voice, a change in stature, and a change in presence makes him virtually a different person.
That kind of works when you realize that no one suspects Superman has a secret identity.

Quote:
not everything has to be explained in complete detail...
And not everything should be accepted as a genre convention when it blatantly defies the logic the film tries to establish.

Besides: who's asking for them to get into the specifics of nanotechnology? They could explain how it works with a single line of dialogue and then show it forming over his body later on.

Quote:
Not when it doesn't make sense in context.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #249
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
out of all the DC characters, i see Batman as one of the closest characters that could come close to being real...
Regardless.

Quote:
thats the problem though. his costume isn't real. the costume is entirely and pure fantasy. the realistic truth is, no one is going to go around in a suit like that in today's society... thats just the honest truth.
It's a superhero movie. Superheros wear costumes. That's a genre convention that doesn't defy logic because it's one of the very things the logic of the film is built around. It doesn't matter if no one would wear those costumes in the real world; it just has to make sense in the world the characters exist in.

Quote:
you dont need realistic answers to solve questions based in fantasy...
Like I said: I consider Superman to be more sci-fi than fantasy.

And again: considering this movie is trying to ground Superman in the real world...you kinda do.

Quote:
thats what fantasy is all about. if you try to make fantasy too realistic, you lose the most important part of fantasy... the mystery... you take away the mystery, it's no longer fantasy... thats what superman is: fantasy; mystery. everything about Superman is fantasy and mystery.
I'd agree with you if we were discussing about them going into explicit detail about his abilities.

Quote:
i can watch Superman the Movie and see a fantasy character in the real world...
That's nice. But STM isn't MOS.

Quote:
dont make Superman complicated.
Such an explanation wouldn't be complicated at all.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #250
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can suspend my disbelief for his classic suit, but not for this one.
well, i dont hold that against you. i hold that against those who are making the movie

Quote:
That kind of works when you realize that no one suspects Superman has a secret identity.
it worked for 70 years, and it still works today.

Quote:
And not everything should be accepted as a genre convention when it blatantly defies the logic the film tries to establish.
then the logic of the film is trying to shoehorn something into the character that shouldn't be so hard-pressed into it to begin with.

Quote:
Besides: who's asking for them to get into the specifics of nanotechnology? They could explain how it works with a single line of dialogue and then show it forming over his body later on.
on that, i see it as a cheap way of getting rid of classic and traditional elements that makes Superman... Superman doesnt need a super-scientific suit with nano-technology and for it to appear out of thin air... that makes it way too complicated. all kids need is something simple to understand...

Quote:
Not when it doesn't make sense in context.
like i said earlier, the problem lies with what context the director is trying to make