The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #376
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I love Superman, think the character is fantastic, have been obsessed with him since I was a little boy. The red trunks are ridiculous, at least in this generation.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #377
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Shame on you!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #378
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I love Superman, think the character is fantastic, have been obsessed with him since I was a little boy. The red trunks are ridiculous, at least in this generation.
I'm glad I'm from the older generation then.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #379
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
that makes the two of us

Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #380
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Yeah I like the trunks...but this costume looks fantastic

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #381
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

The one thing that really bothers me about the new suit is the color and how shiny it is. Why make it shiny and so dull color wise?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #382
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
The one thing that really bothers me about the new suit is the color and how shiny it is. Why make it shiny and so dull color wise?
Maybe to attain a very particular effect when lit & filmed the way the filmmakers wanted it? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #383
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
Maybe to attain a very particular effect when lit & filmed the way the filmmakers wanted it? I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I just went and Saw Jack the Giant Slayer, and finally saw the trailer on the big screen. It is all so beautiful except for that shine. Makes the suit look plastic.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #384
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I think it adds a metallic-looking effect, but it might look different when you get a better longer look at it.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #385
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Yeah I like the trunks...but this costume looks fantastic
i like the trunks... but this costume looks poor... just massive looking.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #386
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigaat View Post
The trunks are ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
No, they really aren't.
in the above PICTURE they are. the leg line is too low.
but yeah, trunks look fine.

i think its a pop-culture jokey thing that got out of control now its supposedly a "mainstream" argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #387
The Watchman
Balls McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I suppose I'm from his generation, but for the life of me I can't square what he's saying, don't blame us all.

I just blue myself
Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #388
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

What about the boxer/shorts look? Out of curiosity, not necessarily a film piece.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #389
Super Kal
Side-Kick

when i saw that animated movie, the boxer version was too much for me

Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #390
elgaz
Side-Kick

JosephCAW posted this in the manip thread, it's a version of the Superman suit worn by a character in Superman : Godfall. Whilst this is obviously an armoured version, there are clear similarities to the MOS costume

Now we already know from certain set pics and otherwise that both Zod and Jor-El will be wearing costumes which are technically similar to the MOS outfit - similar belt areas (if you can call it a belt), gauntlets, etc. Jor-El appears to wear some kind of uniform over this suit, and the toy version also shows us some kind of armour that he may wear. Zod has the same.

I wonder if the raised areas in the suit and around the waist area are somehow some kind of circuitry or connecting points, which is effectively what links the suit to the armour when it's attached? The belt area seems to be a focal point in a lot of the armoured pics.

I've a feeling that the suit itself - what Superman wears, and what Zod and Jor-El wear beneath their armour - is essentially some kind of intelligent bio-suit which allows various appendages to be attached and is adaptable to all situations.

In some respects it's reminiscent to me of the Centurions toy lines from the 80s; characters who wore an intelligent base suit all the time, which they then added various attachments to whenever required.

Last edited by elgaz; 03-06-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #391
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
TITANSUPES posted this in the manip thread,
JosephCAW did actually, I just replied with my agreement. But thanks.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #392
elgaz
Side-Kick

Whoops, edited

Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #393
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I feel like... if they had kept the trunks, i'd have stood by that decision and defending them/him from name calling forever. I was even reluctant to let them go because I didn't want to have to cave.

... but now they are gone... it IS a bit of a relief. It's out of my hands, so I feel no guilt but it is kind of nice knowing that's one thing people can't mock in this film.

That said... they'll prob still find a way to mock the general 'area'

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #394
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

What are the chances that Snyder will revert back to classic costume, just like Webb has for TASM 2 ?

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #395
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Very slim.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #396
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Wasn't there an article though that had Snyder saying that he originally wanted the red trunks but that it was the executives from WB that told him to lose them?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #397
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post

I wonder if the raised areas in the suit and around the waist area are somehow some kind of circuitry or connecting points, which is effectively what links the suit to the armour when it's attached? The belt area seems to be a focal point in a lot of the armoured pics.

I've a feeling that the suit itself - what Superman wears, and what Zod and Jor-El wear beneath their armour - is essentially some kind of intelligent bio-suit which allows various appendages to be attached and is adaptable to all situations.

In some respects it's reminiscent to me of the Centurions toy lines from the 80s; characters who wore an intelligent base suit all the time, which they then added various attachments to whenever required.
You may have a point there.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #398
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Wasn't there an article though that had Snyder saying that he originally wanted the red trunks but that it was the executives from WB that told him to lose them?
No. There was some vague quote where he said he tried really hard to keep the briefs. I always took that to mean he wanted to keep them, none of the briefed designs he saw really worked within the rest of the world he was creating. He might have mentioned something like, "nobody else wanted them", but he never said execs forced him to do anything.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #399
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Oh christ! Somebody find the article... Snyder did in fact say that he wanted the briefs and that there were several concepts that included a more traditional look but it was ultimately both he and the studio that decided against them, which may mean that he wanted them but was pressured by the studio.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #400
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
Oh christ! Somebody find the article... Snyder did in fact say that he wanted the briefs and that there were several concepts that included a more traditional look but it was ultimately both he and the studio that decided against them, which may mean that he wanted them but was pressured by the studio.
Which, if you read between the lines, is pretty much the case.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread