The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #426
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Yeah, ok. Cuz we really need a badass Superman.

The trunks will be back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
We kinda do.
We REALLY do...we need people to stop thinking that Superman is a pansy.

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #427
portland2002
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

While the MOS costume is much better (at least colorwise) than the Superman Returns suit, I would much prefer a costume with trunks, belt, and a yellow \s/ symbol on the back of the cape. The classic costume. I do like the darkening of the colors and I would be satisfied seeing the yellow s as a yellow gold as opposed to lemon yellow. Nevertheless, MOS might be a good film and I am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen this summer.

Last edited by portland2002; 03-08-2013 at 02:10 AM. Reason: A desire to add more details to my explanations.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #428
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Royal Blue/Crimson Red is my personal favorite combination.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #429
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Always hated the trunks, so this film has a visual bonus for moi.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #430
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Yup. I'm am so so so sick of it.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #431
fanboiii
disciple of truth

They'll be proven wrong when they join in the sun.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #432
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
They'll be proven wrong when they join in the sun.
I don't bout everyone else, but i'm expecting to be annoyed by how many people are gonna think 'This movie's only good cause they changed him and made him more badass'...

He was ALREADY that badass, you people just wouldn't listen to me!!!!!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #433
elgaz
Side-Kick

He's always been a badass alright. He's so powerful that he's never had to resort to Batman style tactics to intimidate villains (dressing in dark colours, growling voice, gadgets, etc). Unfortunately many people perceived the lack of parlour tricks as not being cool enough.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #434
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Yeah, ok. Cuz we really need a badass Superman.

The trunks will be back.
We had one, George Reeves........Superman and the Mole Men......and TV's....The Adventures of Superman.....1st and 2nd season.....1st season most definitely........ gave us a bad ass Superman.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #435
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I don't bout everyone else, but i'm expecting to be annoyed by how many people are gonna think 'This movie's only good cause they changed him and made him more badass'...

He was ALREADY that badass, you people just wouldn't listen to me!!!!!

I feel like I just read my own thoughts from someone else. I've been trying to get people to listen to me for years.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #436
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
This reminds me of a conversation I had a few years back before Superman Returns with a friend in college. We were talking about superheroes and he argued for Marvel as the greatest comic books ever and how DC sucked and I was going on about the history of Superman and Jerry and Joe and the Fleischer cartoons and how wonderful it all is and his reply was...

Superman is a pansy. If they ever make another Superman movie it will suck. What an oudated piece of ****.

He was right about Superman Returns!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #437
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
He's always been a badass alright. He's so powerful that he's never had to resort to Batman style tactics to intimidate villains (dressing in dark colours, growling voice, gadgets, etc). Unfortunately many people perceived the lack of parlour tricks as not being cool enough.
That's my feeling about a lot of things in movies. They tend to make the hero or villian a ranting loudmouth. Ranting loudmouths don't impress or scare me....it's the quiet guy who just gives you a look you have to watch out for.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #438
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
That's my feeling about a lot of things in movies. They tend to make the hero or villian a ranting loudmouth. Ranting loudmouths don't impress or scare me....it's the quiet guy who just gives you a look you have to watch out for.
That's very true. It's been a staple of Hollywood films for many years now that the hero has to be a wise-cracking smart-ass at times. I blame Bruce Willis personally, John McClane kicked the whole thing off with the original Die Hard . It suddenly became cool to be an anti-hero, almost unlikeable but with a humorous cheeky-chappy type personality which is meant to endear the audience to the protagonist despite the fact we would probably find them a jerk if we ever encountered them in real life.

With superhero films the effect was amplified. There seemed to be 2 approaches for many years; you either go with the wise-cracking, pompous, sarcastic approach - Tony Stark in Iron Man, Peter Parker in Spiderman, Hal Jordan in Green Lantern, Wolverine in X-Men, Johny Storm in Fantastic Four, Hancock, Hellboy .......... to name a few(!) - or you go with an incredibly dark, brooding and melancholic approach with a protagonist who never, ever cracks a joke. Think Batman, Crow, Blade, The Punisher, The Shadow, etc.

Now I know a lot of these personality traits stemmed from the original characterisation in the comics. But nevertheless, if you weren't a comic fan and just enjoyed the movies, the effect was the same as countless Hollywood films before them.

That's part of the reason why I enjoyed Captain America so much, even though many people found flaws with the film. The central hero wasn't a wise-cracking douchebag. But nor was he melancholic and depressive. He was just moral and virtuous, a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kinda guy. It was actually refreshing to have a protagonist like that and it showed that having a hero who's just inherently honest & good doesn't have to be boring. He can still kick ass. He can still be interesting. He can still be someone who can teach the audience a thing or two if his character is written well.

I hope the MOS incarnation of Superman takes a similar approach and doesn't fall into the cliched categories I've mentioned above.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #439
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
That's very true. It's been a staple of Hollywood films for many years now that the hero has to be a wise-cracking smart-ass at times. I blame Bruce Willis personally, John McClane kicked the whole thing off with the original Die Hard . It suddenly became cool to be an anti-hero, almost unlikeable but with a humorous cheeky-chappy type personality which is meant to endear the audience to the protagonist despite the fact we would probably find them a jerk if we ever encountered them in real life.

With superhero films the effect was amplified. There seemed to be 2 approaches for many years; you either go with the wise-cracking, pompous, sarcastic approach - Tony Stark in Iron Man, Peter Parker in Spiderman, Hal Jordan in Green Lantern, Wolverine in X-Men, Johny Storm in Fantastic Four, Hancock, Hellboy .......... to name a few(!) - or you go with an incredibly dark, brooding and melancholic approach with a protagonist who never, ever cracks a joke. Think Batman, Crow, Blade, The Punisher, The Shadow, etc.

Now I know a lot of these personality traits stemmed from the original characterisation in the comics. But nevertheless, if you weren't a comic fan and just enjoyed the movies, the effect was the same as countless Hollywood films before them.

That's part of the reason why I enjoyed Captain America so much, even though many people found flaws with the film. The central hero wasn't a wise-cracking douchebag. But nor was he melancholic and depressive. He was just moral and virtuous, a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kinda guy. It was actually refreshing to have a protagonist like that and it showed that having a hero who's just inherently honest & good doesn't have to be boring. He can still kick ass. He can still be interesting. He can still be someone who can teach the audience a thing or two if his character is written well.

I hope the MOS incarnation of Superman takes a similar approach and doesn't fall into the cliched categories I've mentioned above.
Anti-heroes were cool years before that. Han Solo, The Man with no Name, many Marlon Brando roles, Dirty Harry, etc.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #440
elgaz
Side-Kick

I know dude, I was just joking around. Let's blame James Dean then

Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #441
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I just hope that this movie makes people think of Superman as being cool...not lame

Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #442
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I hope Superman is Superman. If people are too cynical now for him, that is their problem.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #443
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I hope Superman is Superman. If people are too cynical now for him, that is their problem.
Yes....

Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #444
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Depends what the frame of reference is. I would say something like this…

Warden: This country is safe again, Superman, thanks to you.
Superman: No, sir. Don't thank me, Warden. We're all part of the same team. Good night.

…is fairly dated. And I wouldn’t fault a modern audience for expressing cynicism towards it.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #445
Super Kal
Side-Kick

yeah, because Superman actually fighting for truth, justice, and the American way is really out-dated...

nope, dont buy that one bit. Superman IS a symbol of truth and justice. He was created to bring truth and justice for people who had neither. Dont change that core part of the character.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #446
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

I believe the "Superman" concept is too broad. It has been so streched, with the overpowering, the overcharacterization and the increased scalation in the narrative universe; that seems really lame, silly, childlish and even "cartoony" nowadays, where the target is more mature and the "social lense" of narrative has been toned down.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #447
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
yeah, because Superman actually fighting for truth, justice, and the American way is really out-dated...

nope, dont buy that one bit. Superman IS a symbol of truth and justice. He was created to bring truth and justice for people who had neither. Dont change that core part of the character.
Like I said, it depends on the frame of reference. You mentioned Superman as a symbol. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I immediately thought of specific examples where the meaning of the symbol is essentially spelled out in detail (which somewhat defeats the purpose of a symbol). And it’s this type of thing that people can feel cynical about - if only because it represents bad, ham-fisted writing. Being critical of camp and corn isn’t a rejection of idealism.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #448
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
I just hope that this movie makes people think of Superman as being cool...not lame
I know what you mean completely. But there are plenty of aspects of the character that I would not be willing to sacrifice if that's what it took to convert some people.

Those people can just stay the hell out o my face

*\S/T*
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #449
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I know what you mean completely. But there are plenty of aspects of the character that I would not be willing to sacrifice if that's what it took to convert some people.

Those people can just stay the hell out o my face
smack some sense into them

Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #450
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
smack some sense into them
I just gave them some Superman comics that makes them realize that maybe they were wrong or Superman. (Golden age, silver age and New 52, etc)

Or just post pictures of Superman owning Batman just to make them mad. But that's just me.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
Closed Thread