The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #576
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,890
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I actually think I prefer the darker muted blue. I think it works better for the realistic aesthetic of the film. Having a more primary blue (like Cap in the Avengers) would really make Supes seem a bit out've place.
I think when done right, brightly colored suits can still work without taking away from the drama and realism.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #577
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,744
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguy64 View Post
In all the official WB released shots of the suit, the gold in the chest shield has been replaced with black. Do we know if they're digitally removing the gold in post?
In a number of stills, the “gold” appears very pale (gold), off-white or grey. I wouldn’t say it’s ever looked black though. And I assume this is just a property of how the shield looks/reflects light under various conditions. So I don’t think they’re deliberately adjusting/toning down the more vibrant “gold” for the sake of the promo pics. It would actually make more sense if it were other way around (i.e., goosing up the vibrancy levels for the promo pics).

Dr. is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #578
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,883
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Yeah because a dude in a skin-thight suit with a cape flying around smashing space ships with his bare hands isn't out've place.

Joke. I get what you mean. For this same reason there will be no heat vision in this film. Don't be fooled by kid's books or toys they often have things the movies don't. This movie is teh realizm and teh grounded, no laser eyes allowed! I am willing to bet money on this!
Ha I get what you're saying. But I think they're trying to give the Kryptonian aspects of this film a more grounded 'real' look to the film too. So the Kryptonian outfits won't be all 60's sci-fi dayglo primary bright colors. It will still be very sci-fi but darker more fleshed out.

The difference between this



and this


And heat vision will be in the film

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #579
Bruce Malone
Why so Bad?
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,767
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2



Okay i'm pretty convinced now the shield is not indeed any shade of yellow at least as how it will appear on film. That's the same shade the shield's been depicted on the last few released images.

Bruce Malone is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #580
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,883
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I think when done right, brightly colored suits can still work without taking away from the drama and realism.
I agree. It just doesn't seem what Snyder has gone for. And I think it works great for the look of the film too. I hate going back to the words 'realistic' and 'tone' and 'aesthetic' and but I guess it fits.

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #581
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 364
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post


Okay i'm pretty convinced now the shield is not indeed any shade of yellow at least as how it will appear on film. That's the same shade the shield's been depicted on the last few released images.
I'll refer again to this:



There aren't many clear shots of the S, and the ones that are there are pretty dark, but there's definitely a pale gold there. The only shot I've seen where the background of the shield looks black (and not just like the lighting is doing something funky to it) is the first poster. The look of that as a whole, though, is shadowy and moody, so there isn't a whole lot of color showing up anyway. There's plenty of gold showing through in some of the official shots, too. I don't think you have anything to worry about (unless it just absolutely wouldn't be Superman for you without a really bright yellow).

HankTheTurtle is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #582
Bruce Malone
Why so Bad?
 
Bruce Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stay out of my territory
Posts: 5,767
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

It's not a personal thing in fact i was the one who's been trying to convince some people in this thread that it's at most a bronze but they've been still saying it is yellow.

It's a petty thing to get into and i don't really care personally either way i'm just point it out that it just can't be "yellow" from what i've seen, bronze or dark gold perhaps.

Bruce Malone is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #583
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 364
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I think some people are using the term "yellow" when they're referring to the background on the shield itself, not its color. So, if someone were to say, "the yellow is too dark", they're just using "yellow" to define the areas they're talking about because those areas are traditionally yellow.

HankTheTurtle is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #584
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick
 
Stephen K. Hone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,963
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post


Okay i'm pretty convinced now the shield is not indeed any shade of yellow at least as how it will appear on film. That's the same shade the shield's been depicted on the last few released images.


Definitely not black. It looks pale yellow here, and perhaps it grows in intensity as he is charged by the yellow sun? Pictures of the costume in the display case also show that it clearly isn't black.

Stephen K. Hone is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #585
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

why do people think that the yellow in the shield grows in intensity as he is charged by the sun??? That's a ridiculous theory, because if it acted like a battery display his enemies would know when he is weak and when the best time to attack would be...dumb idea

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #586
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick
 
Stephen K. Hone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,963
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
why do people think that the yellow in the shield grows in intensity as he is charged by the sun??? That's a ridiculous theory, because if it acted like a battery display his enemies would know when he is weak and when the best time to attack would be...dumb idea


You make a very good point. Now stop it!

Stephen K. Hone is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #587
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
You make a very good point. Now stop it!
I know right?!?! Me and my crazy common sense! haha

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #588
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick
 
Tacit Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,228
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
That's a ridiculous theory, because if it acted like a battery display his enemies would know when he is weak and when the best time to attack would be...dumb idea
B...but, that's the idea. Make the enemy hit the most armored area.

...Oh wait, this is Supes not Bats.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

__________________
Robert Downey Jr: Max Ray
Daniel Craig: Jake Rockwell
Chris Evans: Ace Mccloud
The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #589
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
B...but, that's the idea. Make the enemy hit the most armored area.

...Oh wait, this is Supes not Bats.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
poor Batman

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #590
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,731
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

you know, if the yellow does do that, i would be okay with it

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #591
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
you know, if the yellow does do that, i would be okay with it
I would deal with it, but I'd really dislike that idea. Why would his suit do that? What purpose would it serve on Krypton if they are powerless there?

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #592
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,731
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I would deal with it, but I'd really dislike that idea. Why would his suit do that? What purpose would it serve on Krypton if they are powerless there?
there was a rumor going around during the marketing of Superman Returns that one of the reasons the suit was so dark was because it hadnt been used in a logn time, so once Kal-El donned the suit again, it started to "activate" again, as if the suit was returning to its former glory or something- i do remember Showtime at one point mentioning that to me, and, if i remember correctly, he kinda wanted to see something like that... of course, this was only a rumor, and proven to be false, but i can see the interesting part of that concept.

i'm completely against the whole "burst of energy from the shield" concept, but i wouldnt mind seeing the suit get brighter along the way, or, at least, more vibrant in color... look at Superman III, his costume changed because he became more evil. what if Superman's costume started to give off a slight glow around him, because his costume started to visually reflect the way Superman saw himself in the world, how he chose to live, what he did, the choices he makes, that sort of thing?... i've always liked the idea of the costume changing in appearance because of the actions and choices the person wearing it makes

the one thing i liked in STM was that when they started filming, the flying sequences, the dialog sequences, walking sequences, because of the equipment they were using, it gave the costume itself a slight unearthly glow around it, especially in the red part of the suit. I wouldnt mind seeing that again for this film, but i fear we wont be seeing that again, with the look that Krypton is going to have... and it's a shame, too. it has a more rustic and steel-like approach than anything, and i think thats going to echo in the suit.

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #593
storyteller
Side-Kick
 
storyteller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,696
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Look they went for dark yellow/bronze/gold or whatever you want to call it. It won't brighter for any other reason then there is light. When you think about it, the yellow in the comics works to pop out the S. In film they don't need a bright yellow bg to pop it out. It's just a costume, it shouldn't reflect his mood or him charging it up.

As for the blue, this is a debate that will wage on forever. In the comics Supes blue ranges from near black to sky blue. there is no definitive color. Spider-man faces the same issue.

__________________
------------------------------------------

Its time to be a man..................and run away.

Last edited by storyteller; 03-24-2013 at 05:49 PM.
storyteller is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #594
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
there was a rumor going around during the marketing of Superman Returns that one of the reasons the suit was so dark was because it hadnt been used in a logn time, so once Kal-El donned the suit again, it started to "activate" again, as if the suit was returning to its former glory or something- i do remember Showtime at one point mentioning that to me, and, if i remember correctly, he kinda wanted to see something like that... of course, this was only a rumor, and proven to be false, but i can see the interesting part of that concept.

i'm completely against the whole "burst of energy from the shield" concept, but i wouldnt mind seeing the suit get brighter along the way, or, at least, more vibrant in color... look at Superman III, his costume changed because he became more evil. what if Superman's costume started to give off a slight glow around him, because his costume started to visually reflect the way Superman saw himself in the world, how he chose to live, what he did, the choices he makes, that sort of thing?... i've always liked the idea of the costume changing in appearance because of the actions and choices the person wearing it makes

the one thing i liked in STM was that when they started filming, the flying sequences, the dialog sequences, walking sequences, because of the equipment they were using, it gave the costume itself a slight unearthly glow around it, especially in the red part of the suit. I wouldnt mind seeing that again for this film, but i fear we wont be seeing that again, with the look that Krypton is going to have... and it's a shame, too. it has a more rustic and steel-like approach than anything, and i think thats going to echo in the suit.
I always thought that in Superman III the suit was dark because it was dirty because Superman didn't give a **** anymore and stopped doing his laundry. And If his suit started to glow....oh Lord that would be horrible. I think what we've seen in the trailers and pics is what we are going to get in the movie. The yellow MAY change shades due to lighting...but I don't think anything else will factor into it

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #595
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Look they went for dark yellow/bronze/gold or whatever you want to call it. It won't brighter for any other reason then there is light. When you think about it, the yellow in the comics works to pop out the S. In film they don't need a bright yellow bg to pop it out. It's just a costume, it shouldn't reflect his mood or him charging it up.

As for the blue, this is a debate that will wage on forever. In the comics Supes blue ranges from near black to sky blue. there is no definitive color. Spider-man faces the same issue.
agreed

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #596
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,731
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

it all depends on what Zach wants to do with the costume... it could be a simple costume, and then again it might not be that simple. we dont even know if there's going to be a shirt rip in the movie, lest if the costume itself is or is not some hi-tech covering that spreads across the body like they did for Green Lantern. everything is still speculation

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #597
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I don't want something as ridiculous as his shield acting as a battery to be in the film...that's just, yeah...dumb

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #598
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,731
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
And If his suit started to glow....oh Lord that would be horrible.
i think you're slightly misreading what i said. I would wholeheartedly agree that i would never want to see some insane glow that extends to some unknown reach outside of his reach... but a very small and very subtle sheen, or even a slight hint of a red/blue glow would be nice.

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #599
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,731
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I don't want something as ridiculous as his shield acting as a battery to be in the film...that's just, yeah...dumb
i wouldnt want his shield to be a battery either. IF a glow is used, that doesnt automatically mean his shield is a battery. more or less- like the comics- it's simply used for a visual representation, to make something stick out more than everything else...

if you look at the shield, they're already doing that to some extent with the material used in the red part of the . it's very shiny, almost metallic, and very reflective, so that part of the symbol will reflect a lot more light than normal

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #600
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
i think you're slightly misreading what i said. I would wholeheartedly agree that i would never want to see some insane glow that extends to some unknown reach outside of his reach... but a very small and very subtle sheen, or even a slight hint of a red/blue glow would be nice.
well I mean if you look at this photo then the suit certainly shines....so I guess in a way, you kinda get what you want

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.