The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #626
craigaat
World's Greatest Spy
 
craigaat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,419
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Other than keeping the "iconic look" as many of you call it, there's no need for Superman to ever wear underpants over his suit. There are plenty of other stylistics options to break up the all blue suit, but trunks are just silly. I loved the original Superman movie when I was a kid, but I grew up. You can't translate everything from page to film - It just doesn't work.

__________________
20
craigaat is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #627
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,746
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

actually, i believe one can translate what we see in the comic book to film successfully... look at the first three Spider-Man films... Donner suit aside, and raised webbing and organic web shooters aside, the suit itself is a very faithful rendition of the comic book suit.

it can work. the problem is, in my opinion, some people are too lazy to make it work

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #628
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,756
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
actually, i believe one can translate what we see in the comic book to film successfully... look at the first three Spider-Man films... Donner suit aside, and raised webbing and organic web shooters aside, the suit itself is a very faithful rendition of the comic book suit.

it can work. the problem is, in my opinion, some people are too lazy to make it work
You could make the case that Lee/Ditko conceived the Spidey costume as a kind of “reaction” to Supes’. The bodysuit and colors were the same; but the superfluous trunks and cape were ditched (and a full facemask beats a pair of glasses, hands down). As such, the Spidey costume was (arguably) better designed to begin with - so there were fewer issues that a modern movie had to “fix.”

Dr. is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #629
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,746
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

either way, it's not impossible to make a faithful rendition of the classic Superman suit. it's been done before, it can be done again

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #630
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,756
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
either way, it's not impossible to make a faithful rendition of the classic Superman suit. it's been done before, it can be done again
Well, the best facsimile of the “blue ink” bodysuit that appears in the comics would probably be a plain/fine fabric leotard. So, yes - not impossible and it has been done before. But the question is, would such a facsimile work and be visually impressive in a modern, live action context? Imo, the effort towards scrupulous “accuracy” ends up looking banal and cheap - which isn’t the (idealized) impression one gets from a comic book image of Superman. I think MOS did right by interpreting - rather than imitating - the costume.

Dr. is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #631
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,746
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Well, the best facsimile of the “blue ink” bodysuit that appears in the comics would probably be a plain/fine fabric leotard. So, yes - not impossible and it has been done before. But the question is, would such a facsimile work and be visually impressive in a modern, live action context? Imo, the effort towards scrupulous “accuracy” ends up looking banal and cheap - which isn’t the (idealized) impression one gets from a comic book image of Superman. I think MOS did right by interpreting - rather than imitating - the costume.
you assume that it has to be a fine fabric leotard... it doesnt have to be a leotard to remain faithful to the classic design. there are new fabrics, new materials, and new cloth designs that can be used to recreate the classic design. Just because Richard Donner used a leotard material does not mean t has to be used today.

the problem here is that those like you who dont like the classic design have a few presuppositions in your mind about what materials can be used. in your mind, it's "oh, it's gotta be polyester" or "oh, it's gotta be a blue leotard and spandex"... to be honest, i have yet to see any person, who would prefer the classic design, want to see those materials used again

Richard Donner used what he used because that is what he had available in that time period. now, granted i'm not savvy on cloths and fabrics (not my forte of knowledge), but to say only leotards and spandex can be used is not only ignorant to say (since you know other materials can be used), but also a bit of a straw man argument, since you're misrepresenting my position.

absolutely, the material Donner used was a bit cheap... but that was then; this is now. Newer materials can be used, and be more effective than the Donner suit was... and still hold faithful to the classic design

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #632
zman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 730
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I would deal with it, but I'd really dislike that idea. Why would his suit do that? What purpose would it serve on Krypton if they are powerless there?
the idea is interesting but then it would be a huge advantage for his opponents that could tell, by looking at the shield, if he's «fully charged» or not.

zman is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #633
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,480
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
the idea is interesting but then it would be a huge advantage for his opponents that could tell, by looking at the shield, if he's «fully charged» or not.
yep...exactly, and that's why I'd hate it if his shield acted as a "battery indicator". The idea may be interesting but it's a stupid idea....no offense to anyone here who may like that idea, but that would be one HUGE mistake and that would not sit well with me at all

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #634
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,756
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
you assume that it has to be a fine fabric leotard... it doesnt have to be a leotard to remain faithful to the classic design. there are new fabrics, new materials, and new cloth designs that can be used to recreate the classic design...

...to be honest, i have yet to see any person, who would prefer the classic design, want to see those [old] materials used again.

...absolutely, the material Donner used was a bit cheap... but that was then; this is now. Newer materials can be used, and be more effective than the Donner suit was... and still hold faithful to the classic design
I’ve run into a few vocal critics of the MOS suit. And their complaints aren’t restricted to the lack of trunks; they dislike the conspicuous texture (the “scales” or “chainmail”). Furthermore, they say (as you have) that the classic suit would work just fine - it just needs “updated materials.” But what is meant by “updated materials” is never specified. Presumably, they’re talking about something that is visually distinguishable and impressive. (A modern fabric that’s (e.g.) more comfortable for the actor to wear but which looks exactly like the old school, plain leotard wouldn’t count as an “update.”)

I would suggest that there is no fabric that - simultaneously - looks like the featureless “blue ink” of the comics but which isn’t a plain leotard. I would suggest that “chainmail” (or similar and equally conspicuous detailing) is the only “updated materials” possible. (Granted, there are more radical options like leather or bulky armor. But assuming a (traditional) form-fitting bodysuit motif, there aren’t a great variety of choices.) Tasked with modernizing the Superman costume without fundamentally changing it, MOS took the only available route.

Dr. is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #635
gkokujin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: in a house
Posts: 2,445
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
the idea is interesting but then it would be a huge advantage for his opponents that could tell, by looking at the shield, if he's «fully charged» or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
yep...exactly, and that's why I'd hate it if his shield acted as a "battery indicator". The idea may be interesting but it's a stupid idea....no offense to anyone here who may like that idea, but that would be one HUGE mistake and that would not sit well with me at all

__________________
If you are offended, remain offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #636
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,480
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

yeah, no battery indicator shield....nooooo

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #637
Stephen Harmon
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigaat View Post
Other than keeping the "iconic look" as many of you call it, there's no need for Superman to ever wear underpants over his suit. There are plenty of other stylistics options to break up the all blue suit, but trunks are just silly. I loved the original Superman movie when I was a kid, but I grew up. You can't translate everything from page to film - It just doesn't work.
He wore the trunks for almost 75 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
Who is that?

Stephen Harmon is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #638
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,906
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Harmon View Post
Who is that?
A version of Ultraman.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #639
Stephen Harmon
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
A version of Ultraman.
Thanks.

Stephen Harmon is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #640
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,746
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I would suggest that there is no fabric that - simultaneously - looks like the featureless “blue ink” of the comics but which isn’t a plain leotard.
and i never once said nor implied that it has to look like "blue ink" in order to be faithful to the classic design.

and as far as texture goes... no, im not fond of the texture design that they're using for this suit, however i can live with it- i did like the texture design that was used for the blue suit of Superman Returns... as comparing this to the suit of Superman Returns, while the slight differences they chose to make for that suit, you change those slight differences, plus the color choice, it's probably would of been the best made Superman suit we could of ever had...

now, that side- and as i said before, the classic suit can be done successfully. the problem is not whether or not one can do it, or even if the studio executives let you or not. the problem lies in making it work... it's been proven that it can work. anything else is either personal interpretation or laziness

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #641
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,991
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
yeah, no battery indicator shield....nooooo
you never know...

and if it is really in, the MOS suit lover will say that it is very cool and u r so old fashion and can't accept new thing. better diss the shield way if it is without any function.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso

Last edited by sf2; 04-04-2013 at 04:49 AM.
sf2 is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #642
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready
 
Greeneyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dark City
Posts: 516
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
you never know...

and if it is really in, the MOS suit lover will say that it is very cool and u r so old fashion and can't accept new thing. better diss the shield way if it is without any function.

Yeah,all us Superman fans who like the MOS suit think like this


Greeneyes is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #643
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!
 
hopefuldreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 11,273
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Harmon View Post
He wore the trunks for almost 75 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Totally depends on what you define as the old design being 'broke'... I mean, he was declining in popularity, and the percentage of people who thought the underwear was 'stupid' has most definitely been increasing for decades.

I didn't think they were stupid, but I wouldn't say there was absolutely no issue that required fixing. Kinda seems like sticking your head in the sand to me.

__________________
I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."


*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #644
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,746
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

his decline was not solely because of his trunks... the problem came from bad writing.

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #645
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick
 
Ultra Nolanite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,312
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Harmon View Post
He wore the trunks for almost 75 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It's been broke though. People at that time were just too stupid to realize.

Ultra Nolanite is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #646
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,746
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
It's been broke though. People at that time were just too stupid to realize.
oh, so all supporters of the classic design are now stupid?

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #647
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick
 
Ultra Nolanite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,312
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Well that was a bit harsh perhaps and they're not exactly stupid.

But they are whatever one would call a person who wishes to see a grown man wearing red underpants over a blue leotard.

Ultra Nolanite is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #648
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,480
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
you never know...

and if it is really in, the MOS suit lover will say that it is very cool and u r so old fashion and can't accept new thing. better diss the shield way if it is without any function.
I love the Man of Steel suit and I certainly will NOT think that is cool at all....nope, sure won't

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #649
Stephen Harmon
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
It's been broke though. People at that time were just too stupid to realize.
For 75 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Well that was a bit harsh perhaps and they're not exactly stupid.

But they are whatever one would call a person who wishes to see a grown man wearing red underpants over a blue leotard.
And the blue leotard itself doesn't look ridiculous? And the red cape and the red boots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Totally depends on what you define as the old design being 'broke'... I mean, he was declining in popularity, and the percentage of people who thought the underwear was 'stupid' has most definitely been increasing for decades.

I didn't think they were stupid, but I wouldn't say there was absolutely no issue that required fixing. Kinda seems like sticking your head in the sand to me.
Superman's whole outfit is inherently ridiculous. To say that the trunks look silly, or the cape is too bright, or whatever, is just nonsensical. Ya wanna stop Superman looking silly? Take the whole goddamn suit off and put him in plain civilian clothes. The fact is that suit has been Superman's iconic image for the last 75 years. And artists and filmmakers should just stop ****ing around with it and leave it alone.

Stephen Harmon is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #650
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready
 
Greeneyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dark City
Posts: 516
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Harmon View Post
For 75 years?
And the blue leotard itself doesn't look ridiculous? And the red cape and the red boots?

Superman's whole outfit is inherently ridiculous. To say that the trunks look silly, or the cape is too bright, or whatever, is just nonsensical. Ya wanna stop Superman looking silly? Take the whole goddamn suit off and put him in plain civilian clothes. The fact is that suit has been Superman's iconic image for the last 75 years. And artists and filmmakers should just stop ****ing around with it and leave it alone.
The costume has changed with every decade right from the start and will continue to do so. Which design are you saying is the 75 year old one that has to remain the same and be unchanged?

Greeneyes is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.