The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #851
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
i respect the artist who attempted these, but they just dont work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
No thanks to both....just put actual trunks on him or none at all. None of these cutesy little ways to put red on his crotch without actually putting trunks on him
Just looking at how it could've been done without trunks. I'm fine with the MOS suit, but think more could've been done to replace the trunks. Not sure what exactly, though. I would've gone with the trunks anyway, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Terrible. It looks like a depiction of groin strain in an advert for anti inflammatory pills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Definitely, those waist patterns pretty much exclude having a pair of briefs there...as was their intention. But even taking them away, briefs as an element still always work for me.

I'm wearing them right now.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #852
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I was surprised to learn that most of the shots of the cape are CGI. I didn't know that. I'm sure the closeup of it before Superman makes his (first?) big flight outside the fortress is real, though. Either way it looks fantastic.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #853
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #854
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

^ Something about the costume in that manip makes his shoulders appear less broad than they are.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #855
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
^ Something about the costume in that manip makes his shoulders appear less broad than they are.
It's the red on the shoulders. His shoulders are no longer big blue blocks of awesome muscle anymore.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #856
pabibra

Hello,

First of all my condolences from Spain for the tragedy the american citizens are suffering during this horrible week.

I made a manip for the New 52 version taken several considerations regarding the color scheme Snyder has used in the actual Man of Steel movie.

Personally, I never liked the too shiny-armored look from the comics books, but I wanted to made something that could have been made.

Like or not, you are free to manip, erase or improve at your will.

¡ hasta otra ocasión !

Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #857
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
The cape connected to the shield is my least favorite costume design.

This is a great manip, however

Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #858
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabibra View Post
Hello,

First of all my condolences from Spain for the tragedy the american citizens are suffering during this horrible week.

I made a manip for the New 52 version taken several considerations regarding the color scheme Snyder has used in the actual Man of Steel movie.

Personally, I never liked the too shiny-armored look from the comics books, but I wanted to made something that could have been made.

Like or not, you are free to manip, erase or improve at your will.

¡ hasta otra ocasión !

Not a fan of the costume itself, but great manip

I have to be honest, I've yet to see a manip of the new MOS costume which I think is better than what the designers came up with. It's a really great suit.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #859
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

The manips from Super Kal and pabibra are great in terms of execution, but those costumes? Don't like them at all. I have yet to see a fan manip alternative that would actually work better than the MOS costume. And I have a feeling I won't, because with Snyder's eye he probably picked the best designed out of hundreds of variations.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #860
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
LOL Awesome.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #861
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
It's the red on the shoulders. His shoulders are no longer big blue blocks of awesome muscle anymore.
no, the "blocks of awesome muscle" are still there... the red on the upper body, though, makes up for the lack of red in the mid-riff, and gives the upper body a V-shape, giving the illusion of a bigger symbol and a bigger upper body

Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #862
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Anyone will to try and make a manip of the MOS suit to look like this?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #863
Stoic
Ron Swanson Protege

Quote:
Awesome. I wonder what it would look like if you filled in the space above the buckle but not about the upper ridge. Having the red go all the way up behind the blue piping looks really cool. Could be an interesting design compromise.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #864
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

It's really meant as a joke, but if they were going to go with briefs, they'd probably have to design specifically for it and not have those designs/embellishments on the waist area...they really don't allow for the design lines of outer briefs the way they are now. There are some manips floating around.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #865
Stoic
Ron Swanson Protege

Quote:
It's really meant as a joke, but if they were going to go with briefs, they'd probably have to design specifically for it and not have those designs/embellishments on the waist area...they really don't allow for the design lines of outer briefs the way they are now. There are some manips floating around.
Indeed. When I saw it, my player hadn't caught up with the the motion, so all I saw was the final shot with the red trunks and not the button pushing lol. Love your gifs, btw. I agree that you would need to remove the piping to get the classic look to work, and I have no qualms with the new suit. I really wish that DC would take a good long look at Man of Steel if they decide to alter the new52 look. Though, now that the court case is over and WB now has rights to the trunks again it is highly likely that "Classic Coke" (as I like to call it) will be brough back into the fold. Though, I'd be just as happy with an alteration a la Man of Steel.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #866
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I actually kind of like the piping as an indicator that it is alien in design. but it would have to be 'shaped' differently to compliment specific area of red like briefs, and the hard part would be in not letting one or the other look arbitrary. Whereas just putting red briefs under the piping the way it is now is pretty arbitrary, IMO.

And I like this movie suit much better than that New 52 one. I don't like the neck design on it, and it definitely looks like the cape is arbitrarily attached to it. On the movie one, the neckline/cape is my favorite part and favorite of all move designs...they finally did it right. But I wish the yellow in the shield didn't look so worn.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #867
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Anyone will to try and make a manip of the MOS suit to look like this?

I recognize that awesome shield (KC), but not the comic. Someone could tell me?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #868
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocanrol View Post
I recognize that awesome shield (KC), but not the comic. Someone could tell me?
It's not from a comic. Wizard just put out what they thought an Ultimate DC Universe could be like. They did Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, GL, Flash, and the JL.

This was Superman's story...

Quote:
THE ORIGIN: Rocketed from the dying planet Krypton, a lone baby lands in a Smallville, Kansas field. Adopted by Martha and Jonathan Kent, the infant is raised like any other child, but the Kents soon learn their adopted son Clark is anything but ordinary. Under the Earth’s yellow sun, he’s developed powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.

THE CHARACTER: It’s six years removed from the world of TV’s “Smallville,” where Clark, Lex Luthor and Lana Lang all grew up together as friends. Clark’s just graduated from Kansas State University and has been offered an entry-level job at the Daily Planet.

SUPPORTING CAST: Lana’s still Clark’s girlfriend and one of the few people who knows about his extraordinary powers. But his long-distance relationship with Lana (who still resides in Smallville) is strained as Clark grows closer to fellow Planet reporter Lois Lane. Lois, a tenacious and clever reporter, is also the protégé of Planet senior writer Perry White, the man who mentors Lois and Clark in both their work and personal lives. And just as Clark settles in Metropolis, billionaire industrialist Lex Luthor reemerges after a four-year disappearance from public life. Although Clark looks forward to seeing his old friend from Smallville, something has clearly made Lex more intense, but Lex isn’t talking.

THE SET UP: After learning to control and master his powers while growing up in Smallville, Clark Kent moves to Metropolis and dons a costume to help protect the world as Superman, a name Perry White gives him after seeing him save a sabotaged Air Force One.

THE FIRST ARC: Superman wasn’t the only thing to escape Krypton. An artificial intelligence program developed by Jor-El, Superman’s father, also reached Earth. Calling itself Brainiac I, the super-computer sets its sights on turning Earth into New Krypton…just as soon as it undoes the “damage” done to Krypton’s Last Son by those who raised him human.

THE BIG PICTURE: As Clark tries to reestablish his friendship with Lex, he doesn’t realize that Lex knows he’s Superman! The catch: Lex refuses to admit it to himself. Lex feels that if Clark—who represents Lex’s only tether to a humanity that has constantly betrayed him—has been lying to him their entire lives, it’s Superman who has to pay the price.

ULTIMATE GREEN LANTERN

THE ORIGIN: Dishonorably discharged by the military’s highly trained Delta Force, John Stewart’s life is going nowhere…until he’s recruited into the intergalactic police force called The Green Lantern Corps. A rookie grunt assigned to Sector 2814—Earth—Stewart’s mentor is the Corps’ most senior officer: Sinestro.

THE CHARACTER: No one knows why Stewart was thrown out of Delta Force but as he puts it, “I had one bad day.” A social activist now in Los Angeles, Stewart’s happy to serve out his days not fighting in anyone’s wars, until he’s given the power to truly make a difference.
Bigger version...

"

Last edited by Lencho01; 04-19-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #869
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
No thanks to both....just put actual trunks on him or none at all. None of these cutesy little ways to put red on his crotch without actually putting trunks on him
It's pretty much the same way they accomplished the leotard look on the movie Iron Man suit without directly making it look like a leotard over yellow tights.

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 04-19-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #870
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
It's pretty much the same way they accomplished the leotard look on the movie Iron Man suit without directly making it look like a leotard over yellow tights.
the Iron Man suit looks badass soooo....

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #871
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
no, the "blocks of awesome muscle" are still there... the red on the upper body, though, makes up for the lack of red in the mid-riff, and gives the upper body a V-shape, giving the illusion of a bigger symbol and a bigger upper body
Maybe to you, but not to us. His upper body already has an excellent V-Shape and the red on the shoulders breaks up the natural lines of Cavill's physique and thus, makes its awesomeness less apparent. It's the same reason why you see few successful pro bodybuilders with large tattoos over major muscle groups. They make the definition, separation, and size of muscles less apparent.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #872
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Word.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 04-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #873
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

Quote:
First one I've seen that actually makes the trunks look good on the MOS costume, even if it is meant to be a joke haha

Old 04-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #874
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
First one I've seen that actually makes the trunks look good on the MOS costume, even if it is meant to be a joke haha
Yeah I said the same thing. Tis a shame, but not going to go back to that place!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #875
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
the Iron Man suit looks badass soooo....
Right, so why can't the Superman suit look bad ass using a similar style? Seriously, look at the comics Iron Man, especially the earlier versions. It's a red leotard over yellow tights, and they stayed relatively faithful to that somehow without it looking silly:

Doesn't it look just a LITTLE like an aerobics leotard? Or ballet tights? Except really freaking armored looking?

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 04-20-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Closed Thread