The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #876
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Actually, I hear that in the last scene of the movie, after saving the world, the President presents Superman with a small box. Inside are the red trunks.

It's a bit like the 'Joker card' scene in Batman Begins, only more badass.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #877
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

One can only hope.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #878
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I just don't like a Superman suit that is pure armor...he doesn't need it

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #879
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I didn't say his suit had to be pure armor, just that there are ways of conveying the classic look without it looking literally like trunks over tights. If Iron Man can keep his iron leotard in an insanely successful blockbuster, why can't Superman keep his trunks?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #880
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I didn't say his suit had to be pure armor, just that there are ways of conveying the classic look without it looking literally like trunks over tights. If Iron Man can keep his iron leotard in an insanely successful blockbuster, why can't Superman keep his trunks?
I'm sorry but Iron Man's live action suit is the farthest thing from a leotard ever. Huge difference.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #881
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Don't get defensive, now. I know the truth is hard, but facts are facts. The color scheme is patterned after the leotard look of the comics. So can we cut out the hyperbole? Farthest thing from a leotard ever, my eye.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #882
DKDetective

Quote:
Don't get defensive, now. I know the truth is hard, but facts are facts. The color scheme is patterned after the leotard look of the comics. So can we cut out the hyperbole? Farthest thing from a leotard ever, my eye.
Not getting defensive whatsoever. What is different is the armour, the suit. It doesn't look like a leotard at all because the cinematic Iron Man suits look robotic power armour rather than a man in spandex. That changes everything. If the Iron Man costume was spandex painted with metallic paint, I'm sure it would look like a leotard. However, the materials of Superman's suits are just as much a part of Superman's appearance as his colour scheme. He's Superman, he doesn't need armour or some sort of practical suit that serves a purpose like Iron Man or Batman. Its just him and his powers and his tights represent that. Furthermore, there is far more consistency in Superman's design over the years than Iron Man's. I'm pretty sure he has a new suit for every year his comic has been in print. So essentially if you mess around enough with the design and materials of Supes' suit so that the trunks don't look like red underwear worn over a skintight bodysuit, it probably will end up looking far more unfaithful in the end than just ditching the trunks and adding some piping.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #883
regwec
Shakespearo

It's a fair point, though I note that Superman has undergone more dramatic costume changes than Batman, and people have largely given up grumbling about the ugly black rubber wetsuits that Batman is always given to wear.

Apart from me.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #884
jacobed
Banned User

I'm glad there is no trunks. They look so stupid. Everytime I see them, all I can think about is Quailman from Doug and how his underwear is on the outside. I mean what the hell, who thought of that. Oh you know what's a great idea, putting his underwear on the outside. Ugh thank God they're no more in just about all mediums

Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #885
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
It's a fair point, though I note that Superman has undergone more dramatic costume changes than Batman, and people have largely given up grumbling about the ugly black rubber wetsuits that Batman is always given to wear.

Apart from me.
Well, those dramatic changes only really occurred in the last 20 years and they all tended to be gimics that failed and led to the return of the traditional Superman costume. My point was moreso that Iron Man's costume has been in flux since his very creation. Iron Man's history allows for far more flexibility in adaptation for the silver screen. By the way, you are not alone regarding Batman's black rubber wetsuits. Ironically, when Batman's suit is coloured black and grey, I have a harder time accepting the absence of the trunks, whereas with Superman, especially the MOS design, I could not care less that the trunks are gone. It just seems like there is something missing since black sections are incorporated into every other part of the design.

Last edited by DKDetective; 04-20-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #886
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Iron Man's movie costume is far less inspired by his classic leotard costumes than his recent Extremis armor from 2005.

Last edited by Tacit Ronin; 04-20-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #887
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

But the Extremis armor was made to reflect the earlier leotard look. And I'm not saying Superman should go back to spandex, but I don't see why the suit can't be red where the trunks would normally be. It wouldn't literally be an extra garment over the suit, just a differently colored section, just like the current Iron Man suits no longer look literally like a leotard and instead just look like a red suit of armor with gold arms and legs.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #888
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

amazing spider-man 2 is scrapping the crappy costume and returning to the flawless traditional one

and so should man of steel 2 tbqh V_V;;

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #889
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

If MoS' costume was crappy and if random moviegoers took Supes' trunks seriously, then there would be a chance.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #890
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

What is this MOS2 you speak of? Sounds like WB may be skipping a sequel in favor of a JL film.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #891
DKDetective

Quote:
But the Extremis armor was made to reflect the earlier leotard look. And I'm not saying Superman should go back to spandex, but I don't see why the suit can't be red where the trunks would normally be. It wouldn't literally be an extra garment over the suit, just a differently colored section, just like the current Iron Man suits no longer look literally like a leotard and instead just look like a red suit of armor with gold arms and legs.
Because it is a lot easier to different paint jobs on a piece of machinery than to do the same on actual clothing. It makes a huge difference in how people perceived it. Iron Man's cinematic suit looks perfectly believable because it is painted up like a supercar or any other highly expensive vehicle, which it is. It doesn't look like actual clothing so people don't see the leotard connection. On Superman's suit, unless you radically change the materials or whatever, the trunks will look like trunks, whether they are physically separate or not.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #892
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
If MoS' costume was crappy and if random moviegoers took Supes' trunks seriously, then there would be a chance.
I really doubt Superman wearing trunks is that big of an issue for people. Especially when he's looked like for so many years.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #893
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

For casual people? Yes, it's a joke. Not enough to destroy Superman's reputation, but enough to prevent him from reaching greater heights. The MoS suit has made lots and lots of cynics go "huh". Which is a big achievement.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #894
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
For casual people? Yes, it's a joke. Not enough to destroy Superman's reputation, but enough to prevent him from reaching greater heights. The MoS suit has made lots and lots of cynics go "huh". Which is a big achievement.
Greater heights of what? He's looked like that for years. His look is the standard for what superheroes look like. If you Google the term, the majority of pics you'll see are based off his template. It's not like MOS would be liked less thus far if he had the trunks. It really isn't the issue people make it out to be. Just something to quickly make a joke about that isn't even funny.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 04-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #895
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Greater heights in terms of quantity of people wanting to see his adventures.

Nobody said it's a funny joke. But casual moviegoers do have a huge problem with a few Superman traits, physical and otherwise. I don't necessarily agree with them, but it's a fact that many find said traits off-putting. There's a reason why the trunks are a pop culture joke, and not in a good way.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #896
regwec
Shakespearo

I quite like the idea of a the suit being something that Superman's mother made for him. That seems to fit the character very well: his costume is of humble origins, but he makes it heroic. The trunks aren't really a problem if that approach is taken- it's the kind of addition well-meaning mothers are liable to make.

All the same, the alien origin for the MoS suit is also fine, and it looks good.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #897
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post
amazing spider-man 2 is scrapping the crappy costume and returning to the flawless traditional one

Agree!
But spidey with crappy costume still made millions!!!

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #898
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Good grief, this again?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #899
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughNTumble View Post

Umm No.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #900
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Greater heights in terms of quantity of people wanting to see his adventures.

Nobody said it's a funny joke. But casual moviegoers do have a huge problem with a few Superman traits, physical and otherwise. I don't necessarily agree with them, but it's a fact that many find said traits off-putting. There's a reason why the trunks are a pop culture joke, and not in a good way.
I doubt that would change anything. People aren't really going to go, "Oh, he wears his underwear on the outside! I'm never going watch or read anything about Superman because of that!" Any problems he has in terms of popularity or how many people want to see films about him doesn't stem from his trunks or not. Like I said, if MOS or any film had the trunks and advertised a pretty awesome and entertaining film, people would go see it. I mean, is there evidence that the New 52 has caused a significant increase in sales/popularity for Superman-related stuff and still maintaining it to this day because they removed the trunks?

"

Closed Thread