The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #201
DKDetective
Commander RNVR

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Agreed and considering the amount of time that has passed between the reveal of defunct designs and MOS, people are completely in their right to change their minds and tastes.
If I remember correctly from my lurking days, a lot of those complaints were cumulative anyways. it wasn't just one design element here or there that upset people, it was the overall approach. Changing the suit, no destruction of Krypton, making Lex Luthor a Kryptonian, etc. Sure, the overall look of some of the Flyby designs were rather similar (no trunks, embedded gold "belt"), but a lot of details were different like the boots, S Shield and cape attachment. The result is that one can look far more Superman-esque than the other. And as such, liking one and not the other is not even really hypocrisy.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #202
BatZiLLa54
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
umm... why not the colors from the actual movie trailer??

Done.
Except there isn't one full shot of him wearing the suit in any trailer. The only time the costume has looked remotely blue is when he isn't in the costume.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #203
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatZiLLa54 View Post
Except there isn't one full shot of him wearing the suit in any trailer. The only time the costume has looked remotely blue is when he isn't in the costume.
True, not yet, but there is that quick clip of his hip that shows the color in the light pretty well. That's what I'm going off of as of right now.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #204
Harrier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
close up for debate . i think they should used a different pattern for the boots and shield

This is just awesome. I love the chainmail kind of look. It makes sense that if Superman's costume/uniform...comes from Krypton and isn't made by Martha that it might seem like some kind of battle armor.

I love the wrist gauntlets also.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #205
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This is just awesome. I love the chainmail kind of look. It makes sense that if Superman's costume/uniform...comes from Krypton and isn't made by Martha that it might seem like some kind of battle armor.

I love the wrist gauntlets also.
As do i , i think they look bad ass.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #206
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

The suit looks high quality and regal up close. Looks way more expensive than the SR suit.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #207
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
The suit looks high quality and regal up close. Looks way more expensive than the SR suit.
I love how you say it looks expensive. A great way to put it, as SR's looked rubbery and cheap. This suit looks like futuristic medival regal wear. I am so happy with the other worldy look of the MOS suit.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #208
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I love how you say it looks expensive. A great way to put it, as SR's looked rubbery and cheap. This suit looks like futuristic medival regal wear. I am so happy with the other worldy look of the MOS suit.
I agree. The otherworldly look is great as it means that the suit is ceremonial and it honors his homeworld.

There are so many different origins of the costume and this may be the best one, considering in the comics through the ages: Martha sewed it out of his baby blanket and Superman made the costume himself in the fortress.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #209
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
The cost for these types of costumes typically run well into six figures. (This includes design, custom manufacture and multiple outfits for star and stuntmen, etc.) Now if you thought the SR suit “looked cheap,” I think that speaks to the limitations of trying to faithfully copy the smooth fabric leotard appearance of the comics. Even if it’s made of space-age and expensive materials, a plain leotard still looks plain (and cheap). MOS took the better approach: reinterpretation - as opposed to imitation.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #210
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I think the MOS suit is one of the best comic film related costumes ever made.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #211
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I think the MOS suit is one of the best comic film related costumes ever made.
Very different from past incarnations of Superman, but still having the core elements of the suit. It's a great costume design.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #212
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Very different from past incarnations of Superman, but still having the core elements of the suit. It's a great costume design.
Agree 110% its different but faithful

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #213
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I don't see what's so awful about a nanotech suit. As long as he isn't reliant on it for his powers in any way, it isn't like Iron Man. And what's so unrealistic about it compared with everything else in the movie? People have this nanophobia thing going on here and I don't really understand it.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #214
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

I think the suit being Nano-tech would be awesome, and it would also fit in with the whole sci-fi vibe the movie is giving me.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #215
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I don't see what's so awful about a nanotech suit. As long as he isn't reliant on it for his powers in any way, it isn't like Iron Man. And what's so unrealistic about it compared with everything else in the movie? People have this nanophobia thing going on here and I don't really understand it.
This.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #216
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

I don't see why everything has to be technological for the sake of technology. I grant you Superman comes from Krypton which presumably could have that technology to make nano-suits, but why can't it be just a regular superhero costume?

Do we need explanations for everything? We didn't get any explanation for why Chris Reeve flew out of the fortress after a 10 year tutelage under Jor-El wearing a blue and red spandex suit with a red cape. The movie worked and is still to this day one of the greatest superhero movies ever made!

Have the Nolan movies caused a need for everything to be hyper real? It's a comic book for god sakes!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #217
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post

Why are people afraid of Nan's here?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #218
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

No one is afraid of nanos, but its not Superman. It would be plausible for a Green Lantern suit or maybe even Iron Man but for Supes?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #219
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
Do we need explanations for everything? We didn't get any explanation for why Chris Reeve flew out of the fortress after a 10 year tutelage under Jor-El wearing a blue and red spandex suit with a red cape. The movie worked and is still to this day one of the greatest superhero movies ever made!

Have the Nolan movies caused a need for everything to be hyper real? It's a comic book for god sakes!
You may not need one, but you're going to get one. The entire point of this movie is to ask "why" of Superman, and to give answers. Personally, though not all of the answers may end up being what I want them to be, I'm glad a cinematic version of Superman is finally asking "why," especially about the costume. Modern audiences aren't going to be satisfied anymore with "just because," which is essentially what we got from the Donner/Reeves Superman. It worked for its time, as it was, after all, the first modern superhero film, but we've come a long way since then.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #220
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
You may not need one, but you're going to get one. The entire point of this movie is to ask "why" of Superman, and to give answers. Personally, though not all of the answers may end up being what I want them to be, I'm glad a cinematic version of Superman is finally asking "why," especially about the costume. Modern audiences aren't going to be satisfied anymore with "just because," which is essentially what we got from the Donner/Reeves Superman. It worked for its time, as it was, after all, the first modern superhero film, but we've come a long way since then.
But the same could be said about Batman 89 and even the first Raimi Spiderman film. The costume is a convention of the genre.

If there is an in story reason as to why, it would be much more plausible to say that his suit is Kryptonian formal wear or battle wear and he wears it to honor his parents and his homeworld.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #221
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
If there is an in-story reason as to why, it would be much more plausible to say that his suit is Kryptonian formal wear or battle wear and he wears it to honor his parents and his homeworld.
Yes indeed. And this appears to be the approach MOS is taking. Less desirable: the Kent/homemade option or a “wink-wink” non-explanation (like in STM or S-M).

Old 02-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #222
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

I think its safe to assume that in STM Superman made the costume himself as it was in the silver age continuity!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #223
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

you mean Martha made it

Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #224
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
you mean Martha made it

really? holy *****. I totally missed that! i need to watch that movie again!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #225
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
I think its safe to assume that in STM Superman made the costume himself as it was in the silver age continuity!
But in-story, there’s no account of why he chose that particular suit design. Apart from the chest shield, it’s nothing like what was worn on Krypton. Whereas, in MOS, there’s a clear connection and rationale.

Closed Thread