The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #201
DKDetective
Commander RNVR
 
DKDetective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,276
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Agreed and considering the amount of time that has passed between the reveal of defunct designs and MOS, people are completely in their right to change their minds and tastes.
If I remember correctly from my lurking days, a lot of those complaints were cumulative anyways. it wasn't just one design element here or there that upset people, it was the overall approach. Changing the suit, no destruction of Krypton, making Lex Luthor a Kryptonian, etc. Sure, the overall look of some of the Flyby designs were rather similar (no trunks, embedded gold "belt"), but a lot of details were different like the boots, S Shield and cape attachment. The result is that one can look far more Superman-esque than the other. And as such, liking one and not the other is not even really hypocrisy.

DKDetective is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #202
BatZiLLa54
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 95
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
umm... why not the colors from the actual movie trailer??

Done.
Except there isn't one full shot of him wearing the suit in any trailer. The only time the costume has looked remotely blue is when he isn't in the costume.

BatZiLLa54 is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #203
The Shield
It's really Happening!
 
The Shield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,975
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatZiLLa54 View Post
Except there isn't one full shot of him wearing the suit in any trailer. The only time the costume has looked remotely blue is when he isn't in the costume.
True, not yet, but there is that quick clip of his hip that shows the color in the light pretty well. That's what I'm going off of as of right now.

__________________
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. ~John Kenneth Galbraith

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #204
Harrier
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 207
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
close up for debate . i think they should used a different pattern for the boots and shield

This is just awesome. I love the chainmail kind of look. It makes sense that if Superman's costume/uniform...comes from Krypton and isn't made by Martha that it might seem like some kind of battle armor.

I love the wrist gauntlets also.

Harrier is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #205
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This is just awesome. I love the chainmail kind of look. It makes sense that if Superman's costume/uniform...comes from Krypton and isn't made by Martha that it might seem like some kind of battle armor.

I love the wrist gauntlets also.
As do i , i think they look bad ass.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #206
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,336
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

The suit looks high quality and regal up close. Looks way more expensive than the SR suit.

__________________
DC Rɪsᴇs
fanboiii is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #207
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
The suit looks high quality and regal up close. Looks way more expensive than the SR suit.
I love how you say it looks expensive. A great way to put it, as SR's looked rubbery and cheap. This suit looks like futuristic medival regal wear. I am so happy with the other worldy look of the MOS suit.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #208
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,985
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I love how you say it looks expensive. A great way to put it, as SR's looked rubbery and cheap. This suit looks like futuristic medival regal wear. I am so happy with the other worldy look of the MOS suit.
I agree. The otherworldly look is great as it means that the suit is ceremonial and it honors his homeworld.

There are so many different origins of the costume and this may be the best one, considering in the comics through the ages: Martha sewed it out of his baby blanket and Superman made the costume himself in the fortress.

__________________
No Gods, No Masters!
Comics N' Toons is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #209
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,849
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I love how you say it looks expensive. A great way to put it, as SR's looked rubbery and cheap. This suit looks like futuristic medival regal wear. I am so happy with the other worldy look of the MOS suit.
The cost for these types of costumes typically run well into six figures. (This includes design, custom manufacture and multiple outfits for star and stuntmen, etc.) Now if you thought the SR suit “looked cheap,” I think that speaks to the limitations of trying to faithfully copy the smooth fabric leotard appearance of the comics. Even if it’s made of space-age and expensive materials, a plain leotard still looks plain (and cheap). MOS took the better approach: reinterpretation - as opposed to imitation.

Dr. is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #210
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,826
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I think the MOS suit is one of the best comic film related costumes ever made.

__________________
MY VIDEO REVIEW SHOW: EPIC FILM GUYS
www.youtube.com/epicfilmguysny www.facebook.com/epicfilmguys
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #211
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
I think the MOS suit is one of the best comic film related costumes ever made.
Very different from past incarnations of Superman, but still having the core elements of the suit. It's a great costume design.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #212
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 15,139
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Very different from past incarnations of Superman, but still having the core elements of the suit. It's a great costume design.
Agree 110% its different but faithful

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #213
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 3,068
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I don't see what's so awful about a nanotech suit. As long as he isn't reliant on it for his powers in any way, it isn't like Iron Man. And what's so unrealistic about it compared with everything else in the movie? People have this nanophobia thing going on here and I don't really understand it.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #214
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,549
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I think the suit being Nano-tech would be awesome, and it would also fit in with the whole sci-fi vibe the movie is giving me.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #215
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,897
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I don't see what's so awful about a nanotech suit. As long as he isn't reliant on it for his powers in any way, it isn't like Iron Man. And what's so unrealistic about it compared with everything else in the movie? People have this nanophobia thing going on here and I don't really understand it.
This.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #216
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,985
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I don't see why everything has to be technological for the sake of technology. I grant you Superman comes from Krypton which presumably could have that technology to make nano-suits, but why can't it be just a regular superhero costume?

Do we need explanations for everything? We didn't get any explanation for why Chris Reeve flew out of the fortress after a 10 year tutelage under Jor-El wearing a blue and red spandex suit with a red cape. The movie worked and is still to this day one of the greatest superhero movies ever made!

Have the Nolan movies caused a need for everything to be hyper real? It's a comic book for god sakes!

__________________
No Gods, No Masters!
Comics N' Toons is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #217
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready
 
Greeneyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dark City
Posts: 523
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I don't see what's so awful about a nanotech suit. As long as he isn't reliant on it for his powers in any way, it isn't like Iron Man. And what's so unrealistic about it compared with everything else in the movie? People have this nanophobia thing going on here and I don't really understand it.

Why are people afraid of Nan's here?

Greeneyes is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #218
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,985
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

No one is afraid of nanos, but its not Superman. It would be plausible for a Green Lantern suit or maybe even Iron Man but for Supes?

__________________
No Gods, No Masters!
Comics N' Toons is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #219
Zorex
No T, No Shade
 
Zorex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,919
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
Do we need explanations for everything? We didn't get any explanation for why Chris Reeve flew out of the fortress after a 10 year tutelage under Jor-El wearing a blue and red spandex suit with a red cape. The movie worked and is still to this day one of the greatest superhero movies ever made!

Have the Nolan movies caused a need for everything to be hyper real? It's a comic book for god sakes!
You may not need one, but you're going to get one. The entire point of this movie is to ask "why" of Superman, and to give answers. Personally, though not all of the answers may end up being what I want them to be, I'm glad a cinematic version of Superman is finally asking "why," especially about the costume. Modern audiences aren't going to be satisfied anymore with "just because," which is essentially what we got from the Donner/Reeves Superman. It worked for its time, as it was, after all, the first modern superhero film, but we've come a long way since then.

__________________
Go Forward.
Remember Where You Come From
Zorex is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #220
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,985
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
You may not need one, but you're going to get one. The entire point of this movie is to ask "why" of Superman, and to give answers. Personally, though not all of the answers may end up being what I want them to be, I'm glad a cinematic version of Superman is finally asking "why," especially about the costume. Modern audiences aren't going to be satisfied anymore with "just because," which is essentially what we got from the Donner/Reeves Superman. It worked for its time, as it was, after all, the first modern superhero film, but we've come a long way since then.
But the same could be said about Batman 89 and even the first Raimi Spiderman film. The costume is a convention of the genre.

If there is an in story reason as to why, it would be much more plausible to say that his suit is Kryptonian formal wear or battle wear and he wears it to honor his parents and his homeworld.

__________________
No Gods, No Masters!
Comics N' Toons is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #221
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,849
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
If there is an in-story reason as to why, it would be much more plausible to say that his suit is Kryptonian formal wear or battle wear and he wears it to honor his parents and his homeworld.
Yes indeed. And this appears to be the approach MOS is taking. Less desirable: the Kent/homemade option or a “wink-wink” non-explanation (like in STM or S-M).

Dr. is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #222
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,985
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

I think its safe to assume that in STM Superman made the costume himself as it was in the silver age continuity!

__________________
No Gods, No Masters!
Comics N' Toons is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #223
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,336
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

you mean Martha made it

__________________
DC Rɪsᴇs
fanboiii is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #224
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!
 
Comics N' Toons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,985
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
you mean Martha made it

really? holy *****. I totally missed that! i need to watch that movie again!

__________________
No Gods, No Masters!
Comics N' Toons is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #225
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,849
Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
I think its safe to assume that in STM Superman made the costume himself as it was in the silver age continuity!
But in-story, there’s no account of why he chose that particular suit design. Apart from the chest shield, it’s nothing like what was worn on Krypton. Whereas, in MOS, there’s a clear connection and rationale.

Dr. is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.