The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #401
SymbioticToxin
How do I Zord?

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - - - - Part 25

Maybe it's not so much breaking the promise as it is keeping her close enough to just be friends, but distant enough that she won't be in danger if a villain found out his identity or anything like that.
I don't know, that's just my way of thinking about it.

SymbioticToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #402
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Teacher: Peter, don't make promises you can't keep.

Peter whispers where only Gwen can hear: But those are the best kind.

And then Gwen smiles. I think it's pretty clear.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #403
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^ Well what do ya know, something Whiskey and I are in agreement with.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #404
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

That's twice now!

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #405
Oscorp
Side-Kick

It's clear that Peter intends to break the promise. What I don't get however is why people are so up in arms about that.

Peter is a teenager and no teenager is flawless. Also, they are so much in love, you can't blame him.

Yes, the way he says "Yeah but those are the best kind" is definitely unnecessarily cold and her smiling feels a little weird considering her dad had recently died and Peter refers to his last words in that kind of way. I can definitely see why people have a problem with that aspect alone.

However, the general idea of him breaking the promise really shouldn't be a problem if you ask me. A dying wish from someone who doesn't even seem to understand how much they like each other shouldn't be of more importance than their love life.

Sure, it's a huge risk but they both know that. It would've been another thing if Gwen didn't know he was Spider-Man. But they both know and they both still want to be together. And Peter will suffer because of this and that will make him realise that him being Spider-Man will put others at risk as well. It's there for the sake of the story.

But as I said, it should've been delivered alot better.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #406
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It's because Peter is not giving a thousand ****s on responsibility in the film. That's why people are so up in arms over it.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #407
Schrute
Side-Kick

Ehhh I'd argue breaking a promise doesn't mean you are irresponsible.

If he is irresponsible because he is going to get back with gwen knowing the danger...than Raimi's Peter is irresponsible, Peter from the comics is irresponsible, hell he even married MJ knowing the danger.

But if you think he is irresponsible because he is breaking his promise, you'd have a point, but I and I'm sure others would argue it doesn't make him completely 100% irresponsible. I mean the scene before he broke his promise is the kid risking his life to stop the Lizard from mutating the entire city.

He wasn't 100% responsible I guess, but I don't think that makes him ultimately an irresponsible person.

Last edited by Schrute; 04-03-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #408
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
That's twice now!
We should continue this trend. It could be healthy for the both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrute View Post
Ehhh I'd argue breaking a promise doesn't mean you are irresponsible.

If he is irresponsible because he is going to get back with gwen knowing the danger...than Raimi's Peter is irresponsible, Peter from the comics is irresponsible, hell he even married MJ knowing the danger.

But if you think he is irresponsible because he is breaking his promise, you'd have a point, but I and I'm sure others would argue it doesn't make him completely 100% irresponsible. I mean the scene before he broke his promise is the kid risking his life to stop the Lizard from mutating the entire city.

He wasn't 100% responsible I guess, but I don't think that makes him ultimately an irresponsible person.
The difference when I bring it up is that he's breaking a promise to a dying man's last wish.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #409
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Yeah so he broke a dying man's wish...because that dying man's wish would mean that a loving couple wouldn't be together. I really don't see the flaw here. The promise also hurt Gwen.

As I said, they both know the risks. But you only read my first sentence so I guess I'd have to repeat that.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #410
Rise_-
Side-Kick

I think it's obvious that they had Peter break his promise to Stacy for a reason...

He's going to pay. And he hasn't learned the lesson of responsibility yet.

- Superhero Hyperbole Forums.
Rise_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #411
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I see a flaw in your logic Rise-! I think it's a well known fact that people are born totally responsible and perfect from the get go.

Sarcasm aside, Peter learned alot while not becoming perfect (which he isn't in the comics either). He realised that it's his job to take on the Lizard, because he felt it's his responsibility to stop him. He says that before the dinner with the Stacys if I remember correctly (at the football scene). Later on he also learns that he should help people and not only do things that's directly connected to himself (the dinner and bridge scene).

Him breaking the promise is him (and Gwen as she basically asked for him to break it) acting out of love and not wanting to sacrifice that love because a dying man didn't want them to be together.

Also, you have to realise that Peter can't see into the future. We already know the consequences of this, which is why we shout foul at Peter.

In the comics, Peter was with Gwen while being Spider-Man. He also was with MJ while being Spider-Man. He knows the risks there as well. What's the difference here?

Thanks in advance to people who read whole posts.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #412
Rise_-
Side-Kick

You guys should watch the film with the director's commentary.

Webb states that Spider-Man is "always becoming".

I don't know what you want me to say, I'm just sick of seeing this stupid discussion go around in an endless loop.

I think they're going to have Peter get cocky and think this time he'll be able to protect his loved one/s... and he'll fail.

I also think that they're going to have Peter more apprehensive about getting with MJ after Gwen dies, I really hope they don't bash us over the head with it. We all know they'll end up together, have little moments between the two, that's all we need.

- Superhero Hyperbole Forums.
Rise_- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #413
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_- View Post
You guys should watch the film with the director's commentary.

Webb states that Spider-Man is "always becoming".

I don't know what you want me to say, I'm just sick of seeing this stupid discussion go around in an endless loop.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #414
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Yeah so he broke a dying man's wish...because that dying man's wish would mean that a loving couple wouldn't be together. I really don't see the flaw here. The promise also hurt Gwen.
Reading the bold still makes me hang my head in shame of the reason though. Of course the fanboys/girls know what's going to happen, but to the generic audience, it's as if Peter just broke it because he just wanted to and it makes Peter look like he learned zilch about responsibility.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #415
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Just saw the deleted scenes
I don't feel bad they removed any of them, and wonder if there is a chance to see Dr. Ratha in a sequel since his second deleted scene involve Lizard eating him

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #416
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

For the most part, most of the deleted scenes needed to be deleted.

Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #417
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Agreed, they'd weigh the movie down instead of adding goodness to them

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #418
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Reading the bold still makes me hang my head in shame of the reason though. Of course the fanboys/girls know what's going to happen, but to the generic audience, it's as if Peter just broke it because he just wanted to and it makes Peter look like he learned zilch about responsibility.
Lol you can talk you naughty boy

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #419
Zantera
Side-Kick

I just rewatched this movie tonight, hadn't seen it in a year or something probably. The post credits scene got me thinking. Now that we know more information about TASM2 and beyond, what can we really take from the scene?

My first reaction when I saw the movie at the cinema was 100% that the man visiting Connors was Electro. I was 100% sure of it, and it made total sense that he just appeared and disappeared, when the sound of the lightning came. But since then we know that while Electro is gonna be part of TASM2, but he is gonna be played by Jamie Foxx, and TASM2 will also mark the origin of the character. So we can rule Electro out. Considering how the man just appears and disappears, Mysterio would be a logical candidate, but he really doesn't have any connection to Oscorp in the comics, though maybe he has here?

The scene just got me curious that's all.

Zantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #420
The Villain
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
I just rewatched this movie tonight, hadn't seen it in a year or something probably. The post credits scene got me thinking. Now that we know more information about TASM2 and beyond, what can we really take from the scene?

My first reaction when I saw the movie at the cinema was 100% that the man visiting Connors was Electro. I was 100% sure of it, and it made total sense that he just appeared and disappeared, when the sound of the lightning came. But since then we know that while Electro is gonna be part of TASM2, but he is gonna be played by Jamie Foxx, and TASM2 will also mark the origin of the character. So we can rule Electro out. Considering how the man just appears and disappears, Mysterio would be a logical candidate, but he really doesn't have any connection to Oscorp in the comics, though maybe he has here?

The scene just got me curious that's all.
Excellent theory and one I've been speaking about since ASM came out.

We just have to wait & see if Webb has true power over Avi Arad because when asked about Mysterio Avi replied too costly.

Fingers crossed this idea may become true.

Any ideas for a movie Mysterio costume? any concepts you'd like to share here?

The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #421
Zantera
Side-Kick

I have no idea how they would go for the costume, because while Mysterio's classic look is classic for a reason, a man in a cape with a fishbowl on his head is incredibly goofy, and would feel out of place in the more "realistic" take on Spider-Man. I do hope they could make it work though. As for Mysterio being "too costly", I don't really buy that as an excuse. Sure, the possibilities that open up are huge, and you could go a really expensive way, but you don't really need to. Wouldn't be impossible creating illusions and nightmare-like visions that would haunt Peter.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #422
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
I have no idea how they would go for the costume, because while Mysterio's classic look is classic for a reason, a man in a cape with a fishbowl on his head is incredibly goofy, and would feel out of place in the more "realistic" take on Spider-Man.
And a lizard hulk who crawls out of toilets doesn't?

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #423
spideyluv2

I agree about Mysterio's costume. They can't change that classic look of Mysterio just wouldnt be the same. Maybe they'll take a more futuristic look to his costumer to keep the mystery, but not look to goofy. For those of you interested in the upcoming movie who has seen this spider fan program? http://spiderfans.socialtoaster.com/

I'm personally trying to win a chance to the world premier if not at least the first dvd or a signed poster. What do you all think?

spideyluv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #424
Zantera
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooderman View Post
And a lizard hulk who crawls out of toilets doesn't?
I actually agree with you, and if there's anything that doesn't really work in TASM, it is the clash of goofy/seriousness with The Lizard. I think this is best noticeable in the scene when Peter is trying to convince Captain Stacy that there is a giant lizard running around town. You have a really serious tone and a darker presentation, and you have a giant lizard who wants to turn other people into lizard by using a mortar and spreading gas over the city. Those two elements should not be in the same movie, and the scene at the police station is when those two elements are forced to clash together.

But I digress.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #425
Rorschach2012
$

I really enjoyed this movie, but a couple elements really keep me from loving it.

the skateboarding/Coldplay/new powers scene... it seemed like a contrived attempt at reaching younger viewers

Also, Peter's bumbling nervousness in his speech sometimes came off as forced and over the top. I prefer the romance in Raimi's Spider-Man.
Peter can and should be a bit awkward, but he takes it too far in one or two small scenes. for the most part, i loved Garfield as Peter tho

The last major problem for me is the look of the villain.... i thought Lizard's face looked really bad. I think they were trying too hard not to alienate the younger viewers, so they decided to not make him look scary, but that was a huge mistake. The Nolan trilogy proves that films can be both widely accessible to a large audience and commercially successful, while still featuring villains that are frightening looking.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote