The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #701
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 57,862
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
More Republicans will end up coming out. I think we can safely assume that it is inevitable that Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins will announce their support. Rand Paul at the very least announced his neutrality on the issue.
If I knew that Republicans or Democrats for that matter would vote their convictions....I could agree that their "acceptance" means their "vote"...but I won't believe it until it happens.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #702
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,271
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Come on now, YOU KNOW, that what they say, and how they vote are two very different animals in politics. If they are a (D) in a red state that has already said "no" to same sex marriage..and they are about to come to mid-term elections.....I wouldn't hold that number to be true...

NOW, if someone writes up a bill, and those 50 sponsor it as well.....then I will go with your thinking.
hence why I added /simplifiedversion

The votes are technically there. If they follow through.

If that happened on a floor vote, and since we know how Biden would vote, gay marriage would pass the Senate.

Doesn't matter if the House would strike it down. The fact that the Senate has come this far, compared with how they would have voted during Prop 8, speaks to how far we've come.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #703
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 57,862
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
hence why I added /simplifiedversion

The votes are technically there. If they follow through.

If that happened on a floor vote, and since we know how Biden would vote, gay marriage would pass the Senate.

Doesn't matter if the House would strike it down. The fact that the Senate has come this far, compared with how they would have voted during Prop 8, speaks to how far we've come.
I pretty much know how the House is going to vote....it will be downed easily, the Senate would be a dog fight for sure....but I'm sorry, I do not believe that people vote the way they write their speeches. Obama is a perfect example of this....and so is McCain, and many others....

The only politicians I believe that vote their convictions, and vote what comes out of their mouth is Rand Paul and Chris Christi...

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #704
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,722
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Are gay people too good for Wal Mart now?
Lol Im in walmart all the time. But then again i love train wrecks....

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #705
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,514
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

My roommate and I make regular middle of the night Wal-Mart runs too.

It can be, um....interesting.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #706
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,840
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
More Republicans will end up coming out.
Was that double entendre intentional?

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #707
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,886
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Walmart scares me but I am there quite often.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #708
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 54,886
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
oh lord, you should see the uproar argument ive been involved in on a local news station... that poked crazy with a stick by asking how people felt about Cesar Chavez being the "google doodle" of the day instead of it being Easter related (keep in mind, google hasn't had an Easter doodle since the year 2000, and only usually make religious doodles around the winter holiday seasons where they try to do a doodle for all religions and cultures) they also think Cesar Chavez is "Hugo Chavez" the communist dictator.. and are so "angry" that Google didn't bow down to their religious beliefs and instead honored a guy they never heard of... (who without his existence they might of not even been able to have their Easter dinner) and that they are being persecuted because Google did not honor Easter (news flash, they didn't honor Passover either)

the sense of entitlement and concept of "not being able to rule over others = taking away their religious freedoms" is beyond ridiculous, and those people who have that mind set are the very people giving Christians a bad name.

the best part is those who are so upset that Google didn't honor Easter, all say "well that's it, i'm switching to BING!!" which.... is owned by Bill Gates (an Atheist) and screaming about it on Facebook (Mark Zuckerberg, also an Atheist)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I got in a very lengthy argument on a friend's Facebook wall where another of her friend's kept saying gay marriage is intruding on his religious freedom.
It's a very interesting spin, to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Judging all gay people by the raunchiest pictures you can carefully handpick from a pride parade is like posting pictures of pole dancers and using it to make a blanket statement about straight people.
Exactly.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #709
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 57,862
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
My roommate and I make regular middle of the night Wal-Mart runs too.

It can be, um....interesting.
In college my roommates and I always did our grocery shopping around 2:00 a.m.....I would not go into a Wal-Mart at 2:00 a.m. now.....no way in hell.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #710
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 21,234
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
In college my roommates and I always did our grocery shopping around 2:00 a.m.....I would not go into a Wal-Mart at 2:00 a.m. now.....no way in hell.
I see you've never needed a GI: The Rise of Cobra Air Attack Glider at the last minute in the dead of night, Little Miss "I buy my toilet paper, bird seed and action figures in separate places" Fancy Pants the III.

Screw all of you guys!

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.

Last edited by Pink Ranger; 04-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #711
ericadawn16
Side-Kick
 
ericadawn16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 511
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Walgreens has always sufficed for my emergency 2:30 AM needs...

But I was very happy about the admission of a future GOP presidential candidate favoring equality. They need to realize how much they're alienating the young people unless we want to go something completely different, like a multi- or non-party system.

ericadawn16 is offline  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #712
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 67,530
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
I see you've never needed a GI: The Rise of Cobra Air Attack Glider at the last minute in the dead of night, Little Miss "I buy my toilet paper, bird seed and action figures in separate places" Fancy Pants the III.

Screw all of you guys!

__________________
My Current Thoughts on the "All Things Superman/Batman" Thread:
1. UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
2. Give Me News, Or Get the Hell Out.

Sawyer is online now  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #713
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,440
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Was that double entendre intentional?
Yes

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #714
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,061
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Wasn't the passages that basically says "no homosexuality" from before Jesus as well?
Well, there's *some* debate over the translation of certain words, but there is (arguably) mention of homosexuality being a sin in the New Testament.

Doctor Evo is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #715
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,514
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Yea, it's a little ambiguous, because the Bible has gone through so many translations over the centuries.

For example, the King James version says homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven, but that's a change from the "original" text, which said "sexual deviants", not specifically homosexuals. And given the context "sexual deviants" was used in at other points in the Bible, some argue it really refers to rapists and/or pedophiles, not homosexuals.

Contrary to what a lot of Christians think, the story of Sodom had more to do with rape than it did with homosexuality per se.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #716
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 57,722
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Also, since sodomy in definition means anything that is non-cookie cutter sex....anything that isn't vaginal intercourse could technically be a deviant, meaning oral or anything else as well for straights so to me it either falls into the no sodomy category (which 99.9% of the population doesn't live up to, or it falls under the pedophelia, beastiality, rapist category which is essentially the worst sexual acts a human can commit.

spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #717
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,981
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Yea, it's a little ambiguous, because the Bible has gone through so many translations over the centuries.

For example, the King James version says homosexuals will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven, but that's a change from the "original" text, which said "sexual deviants", not specifically homosexuals. And given the context "sexual deviants" was used in at other points in the Bible, some argue it really refers to rapists and/or pedophiles, not homosexuals.

Contrary to what a lot of Christians think, the story of Sodom had more to do with rape than it did with homosexuality per se.
Yeah, that annoys me so much. Folks who constantly tout the Bible as the reason why homosexuality is "wrong" conveniently forget that Jesus supposedly loved everyone. Love your enemies, love your neighbor... it's amazing how many of them choose to believe one part of the Bible but completely ignore the other half. I would think that if the Second Coming ever happened, Jesus would disavow a lot of folks who claim to serve in his name.

And I'm sure you or someone else mentioned this pages back, but didn't early Christians perform same-sex marriage?

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #718
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,840
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Christian apologetics aside, Leviticus really doesn't leave much room for interpretation. Ask a Rabbi.

But I realize that a lot of people, including gays don't want to part completely with their religion or their culture which was influenced by it.

But objectively speaking, they are entirely incompatible.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #719
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,271
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Senator Bill Nelson (D-Fl) has announced his support of gay marriage.

That brings a vote to 51-49.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #720
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,271
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

The last six D senators to hold out:

Tim Johnson SD
Heidi Heitkamp ND
Mary Landrieu LA
Joe Donnelly IN
Joe Manchin WV
Mark Pryor AR

just in case they're in your state and you'd like to have a word with them

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #721
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,051
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
The last six D senators to hold out:

Tim Johnson SD
Heidi Heitkamp ND
Mary Landrieu LA
Joe Donnelly IN
Joe Manchin WV
Mark Pryor AR

just in case they're in your state and you'd like to have a word with them
Looking at the states they are in and given some of them are up for re-election, I am guessing good luck getting most to change. Simple fact is if you want to win Senate seats in "Red States" to have Senators who will agree with you 80% of the time, you have to give them leeway in other places or you won't have a Democrat Senator in that State

SV Fan is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #722
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,840
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

I'm curious to see what will happen during the next elections for the pro-gay Republican senators. If they start getting primaried by the Tea Party, people are going to backpedal fast, at least in red state.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #723
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,051
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I'm curious to see what will happen during the next elections for the pro-gay Republican senators. If they start getting primaried by the Tea Party, people are going to backpedal fast, at least in red state.
Well one of the 2 is in a state it shouldn't be an issue(Illinois) infact it probably would hurt him more then help him to be against it in the state race. If groups try to Primary Mark Kirk, they can kiss that seat goodbye in 2016(hell they probably will lose it anyways since people will vote Democrat down the ticket in a general election, one big reason Kirk won in 2010 was the Democrats were scandal ridden for 2 years up to that election. I am not sure what Kirk's chances of winning are in 2016, but if they decide to primary him and some ultra conservative wins it's for sure that seat will go Blue. On the flip side Kirk might have enough credibility to overcome a Democrat challenger by coming off as reasonable)

Much like Democrats in Red States have to side with the public to make seats winnable, Republicans in Blue States have to take the other side on some issues


Last edited by SV Fan; 04-04-2013 at 06:07 PM.
SV Fan is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #724
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,271
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Only four to go.

Donnelly and Heitkamp just announced their support for gay marrriage.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #725
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,051
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Only four to go.

Donnelly and Heitkamp just announced their support for gay marrriage.
They might get Tim Johnson(who if I am correct is going to retire in 2014), but good luck with the other 3 who are in deep blue states and I believe all 3 up for re-election in 2014

SV Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.