The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #826
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 21,960
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Very significant happening today:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba...154043515.html

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.

Last edited by Pink Ranger; 04-29-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #827
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,343
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

link no work, but I'm guessing it has something to do with some basketball announcement...

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #828
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,209
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
link no work, but I'm guessing it has something to do with some basketball announcement...
An active(not retired) NBA player announced he is gay. This is the second US team sports league to have a player be openly gay, the first of coarse is the WNBA where they come out as straight

SV Fan is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #829
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 21,960
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
link no work, but I'm guessing it has something to do with some basketball announcement...
Okay, I threw up an airball there, but I think I fixed it in the transition play.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #830
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,343
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Oh, I heard about before lunch today. It's just that the link didn't work, so I took a guess what it was for

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #831
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 138,882
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

NFL star Wallace lands himself in trouble after homophobic remarks about Collins

Quote:
Collins received widespread support on Twitter following the article, but 26-year-old wide receiver Wallace's attitude was rather different.

He Tweeted: 'All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH (shaking my head) ...'

He later deleted the Tweet and posted: 'Never said anything was right or wrong I just said I don't understand!! Deeply sorry for anyone that I offended.'

His team issued a statement saying Wallace had apologised and they had spoken to him about the matter.
The statement on the team's official Twitter feed said: 'Mike Wallace has apologised for his comments, and we have addressed the matter with him.

'Mike's comments do not reflect the views of the Miami Dolphins. We believe in a culture of inclusiveness and respect, and any statements to the contrary are in no way acceptable to our organisation.

'We will address the entire team about our policy of inclusion and make sure they all understand the importance of respecting individual choices.'
Maybe I'm off base here but it feels like the ultra PC nature of today's world has jumped all over this NFL guy a bit rashly and the Miami Dolphins are just covering their assess.

__________________
thinkmcflythink.com
Movie fans, hop in your Delorean and check it out!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #832
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 67,893
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Duh.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty
Anubis is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #833
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger
 
Duran Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,572
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

I don't think that fellow said anything offensive.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Duran Man is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #834
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,702
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

He spoke his mind. Wrong or right, doesn't matter. We are all free to speak our minds. Also, what he said wasn't homophobic (that would imply fear) he just goes against his personal beliefs.

I think the term homophobic has been twisted and mis-used in order to push people in thinking your way. It's actually a pretty brilliant way to deal with things.

__________________
Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Destructus86 is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #835
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 21,960
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Freedom of speech means that the Miami Dolphins, as a private sector organization, has the right to tell their private sector employee that what he says in public reflects upon their organization and is NOT cool. Those who viscerally turn and hide behind the free speech argument the minute someone challenges them forget the second half of that equation.

That stated, I would not label Mike Wallace a bigot or homophobe just because of a tweet, and like with Kobe, can use this otherwise forgettable incident as a catalyst for personal growth and education. However, I will say that was a douche move on his part, that he felt the world would be better off with his blurted-out opinion on such a difficult decision in another man's life and a fairly important milestone for the world of professional atheltics.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #836
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,178
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Sports is a lot like the military in that there are such homoerotic undertones (or is that overtones?), it's funny that they're so homophobic.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #837
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,343
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Overcompensation.

And insecurity about having their junk checked out in the showers.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #838
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,293
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
He spoke his mind. Wrong or right, doesn't matter. We are all free to speak our minds. Also, what he said wasn't homophobic (that would imply fear) he just goes against his personal beliefs.

I think the term homophobic has been twisted and mis-used in order to push people in thinking your way. It's actually a pretty brilliant way to deal with things.

i'd argue the word "homophobia" doesn't really mean "OMG GAYS! RUN FOR YOU LIFE" kinda of fear to be fair. Yes, that's the direct translation of the word, but their is a sense of fear that goes along with it none the less....

-Fear of your children being gay
-Fear of the downfall of society
-Fear "the gay" will rub off on you
-Fear a guy may be attracted to you because of your lack of comfort-ability with your own self
-Fear that if "God" really made people gay, then the bible is wrong, and thus they fear that their belief system will come caving in because they're already too afraid to question their belief system (i say question away, it should test your faith and make it stronger). If the bible is wrong about homosexuality.. then "gasp" what else may it be wrong about?

so yeah... the term homophobia is very much in line. in-fact... fear and hate have alot in common.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now  
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #839
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 70,921
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
He Tweeted: 'All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH (shaking my head) ...'
Okay. So that's one less guy you have to compete with for the affections of all the beautiful women. I mean, ****, if he loves the ladies so much, you'd think he would be rejoicing and wishing he was the only straight man on earth.

__________________
Dear Everyone Experiencing The So-Called "Batman Fatigue",

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now  
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #840
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,293
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Okay. So that's one less guy you have to compete with for the affections of all the beautiful women. I mean, ****, if he loves the ladies so much, you'd think he would be rejoicing and wishing he was the only straight man on earth.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now  
Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #841
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,178
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

I had to laugh at that sports guy (I think he's a broadcaster?) who said that Collins can't be a Christian because he's gay. And then he said some line about how it's no different than any other sin. And while that's arguably true, it's funny that he had no problem with all the other players who regularly have premarital sex.

If you're a bigot, that's fine (or legal, rather), but own up to it.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #842
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,421
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Freedom of speech means that the Miami Dolphins, as a private sector organization, has the right to tell their private sector employee that what he says in public reflects upon their organization and is NOT cool. Those who viscerally turn and hide behind the free speech argument the minute someone challenges them forget the second half of that equation.

That stated, I would not label Mike Wallace a bigot or homophobe just because of a tweet, and like with Kobe, can use this otherwise forgettable incident as a catalyst for personal growth and education. However, I will say that was a douche move on his part, that he felt the world would be better off with his blurted-out opinion on such a difficult decision in another man's life and a fairly important milestone for the world of professional atheltics.
Only if its in his contract.....

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #843
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 21,960
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
so yeah... the term homophobia is very much in line. in-fact... fear and hate have alot in common.

Come on, people, don't make spidey bust out that Yoda quotation again. I don't want this thread devolving into yet another Boba Fett vs. Dengar debate.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #844
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,293
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Come on, people, don't make spidey bust out that Yoda quotation again. I don't want this thread devolving into yet another Boba Fett vs. Dengar debate.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #845
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,421
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

No.....No...Nooooooooooooooooo, I have no popcorn in the house....NO Boba Fett vs. Dengar debates....


AND FINALLY SPIDEY....for as long as you have had that sig, it has bothered me for some reason....and I finally figured out what it is...

Shouldn't it be "Love defeated Hate".....because "Good defeats Evil".....just thinkin outloud...lol I'm just glad I finally figured out what it was...lol

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #846
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,293
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
No.....No...Nooooooooooooooooo, I have no popcorn in the house....NO Boba Fett vs. Dengar debates....


AND FINALLY SPIDEY....for as long as you have had that sig, it has bothered me for some reason....and I finally figured out what it is...

Shouldn't it be "Love defeated Hate".....because "Good defeats Evil".....just thinkin outloud...lol I'm just glad I finally figured out what it was...lol
lol, you are correct in terms of opposites.. but I do prefer to say Love, conquered evil in this case... though, it needs an update

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #847
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,421
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
lol, you are correct in terms of opposites.. but I do prefer to say Love, conquered evil in this case... though, it needs an update
It's crazy that it took me that long....lol

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #848
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19,131
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

I think Wallace could have kept his kind of dim-minded comment to himself, but I also just kind of shrug. It's a molehill, to me, not a mountain, and trying to be the PC police doesn't help the movement, it gives ammunition to those who say we're trying to silence anyone whose beliefs go against homosexuality.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...


Two wrongs just make something more wrong.


Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline  
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #849
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,293
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I think Wallace could have kept his kind of dim-minded comment to himself, but I also just kind of shrug. It's a molehill, to me, not a mountain, and trying to be the PC police doesn't help the movement, it gives ammunition to those who say we're trying to silence anyone whose beliefs go against homosexuality.
i think the world turns into a crappy place anyway if you have to always be 100% pc (because you can't) no matter what you do it's going to piss someone somewhere off. There's just a "feel for things" you gotta have, and know whats too far over the line where it starts offending the majority.

Hell.. i was reading about a woman wanting The Diary of Anne Frank dropped from school curriculum because it was apparently "too pornographic"

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #850
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,343
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

I thought she actually did get it pulled.

Some people are just so afraid of their own genitals.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.