The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #101
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,721
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Well, once the legal portion of this issue is taken care of....and it will be, that I believe. Once those rights, that are rightly theirs are given...then we will see, if that is what all people fighting for this right wants.
Are you implying that there's something wrong with wanting one's sexual orientation to be respected by society?

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #102
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,225
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Are you implying that there's something wrong with wanting one's sexual orientation to be respected by society?

Not at all, no more than a woman wanting to be seen equal in the eyes of all as a CEO, movie director, person...

What I am saying is, one may come without the other...and is this movement willing to continue on as blacks and women have done for decades.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #103
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Today's inauguration speech was incredible...to hear a sitting President of the United States say that I should be treated equally under the law in an inaugural address was a moment I'll remember for quite a while.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #104
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,283
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

And his detractors will be all over it tomorrow.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #105
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,323
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Haven't heard the inauguration speech yet but this'll be used against him somehow by tomorrow. "Obama wants everyone treated equally under the law, he's trying to destroy the established order of things!" Or something stupider. $10 says it's Fox News.

Drunk DC Cop shoots 3 transgender women and gets off easy
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...nsgender-women

Colorado Christian Adoption Agency Threatens To Shut Down Over Civil Unions
http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx...=1&Category=26


Last edited by Snow Queen; 01-22-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Snow Queen is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #106
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,177
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Anyone notice when Obama started talking about gay rights, before he finished he paused and stared right at the Supreme Court Justices as he finished?

thought that was all kinds of awesome

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #107
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

The Colorado State Senate Judiciary Committee has approved civil unions.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #108
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,323
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
The Colorado State Senate Judiciary Committee has approved civil unions.
Nice to hear.

Snow Queen is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #109
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 60,283
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...230305217.html

Heard about this kid?

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #110
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 21,711
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

A touching story.

__________________
Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #111
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 22,913
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Yep. That's my high school.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #112
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,225
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Haven't heard the inauguration speech yet but this'll be used against him somehow by tomorrow. "Obama wants everyone treated equally under the law, he's trying to destroy the established order of things!" Or something stupider. $10 says it's Fox News.

Drunk DC Cop shoots 3 transgender women and gets off easy
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...nsgender-women

Colorado Christian Adoption Agency Threatens To Shut Down Over Civil Unions
http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx...=1&Category=26

Here is the slight problem with what Obama, IMO, believes about equality....in the idea of "basic rights" that we have given by the constitution, inalienable rights etc? YES, equality is a must and can be accomplished through our laws, etc.

But, someone who has a college degree, making $250,000 and someone with a HS degree making $30,000 will NEVER ,have NEVER been equal. And there is no amount of laws, Presidential speeches, taxes, etc that is going to make them equal. Just not going to happen.

It seemed in his speech, and most of his speeches that he equates these two things...and there will always be a problem with that.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #113
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,313
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

H5015 Sub A, Marriage Equality has passed in the Rhode Island House, 51 to 19.


Heh, I think I'm starting to like Prop 8 now. It sure did a good job of getting the ball rolling

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #114
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,967
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

What exactly is the state of gay marriage in California right now?

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #115
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover
 
Motown Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 20,688
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Here is the slight problem with what Obama, IMO, believes about equality....in the idea of "basic rights" that we have given by the constitution, inalienable rights etc? YES, equality is a must and can be accomplished through our laws, etc.

But, someone who has a college degree, making $250,000 and someone with a HS degree making $30,000 will NEVER ,have NEVER been equal. And there is no amount of laws, Presidential speeches, taxes, etc that is going to make them equal. Just not going to happen.

It seemed in his speech, and most of his speeches that he equates these two things...and there will always be a problem with that.
If you have problems with obamas tax policy, take it to the tax policy thread. Yer opinion that he's wrong on taxes has nothing to do with him being right about marriage equality.

__________________
Dear Prudence, won't you come out and play?
Motown Marvel is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #116
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,177
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
H5015 Sub A, Marriage Equality has passed in the Rhode Island House, 51 to 19.


Heh, I think I'm starting to like Prop 8 now. It sure did a good job of getting the ball rolling
Yeah back when i was in cali protesting prop 8 we all knew they created a monster with prop 8 that'd be their own undoing

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #117
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,225
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
If you have problems with obamas tax policy, take it to the tax policy thread. Yer opinion that he's wrong on taxes has nothing to do with him being right about marriage equality.
Excuse me??? How about taking it down a few notches...I was talking about equal rights as a whole, I wasn't talking about taxes specifically, I was talking about the ideology of "total equality".

So chill...

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #118
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,313
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Yeah back when i was in cali protesting prop 8 we all knew they created a monster with prop 8 that'd be their own undoing
It was a lose-lose situation for them.

If Prop 8 fails, they've helped to bring national awareness that the gates are open and the state is ready to marry the gays off. And it would have given the movement in other states momentum seeing our success. (Although probably not as much because it could be said "Oh, surprise, surprise. Liberal California legalized gay marriage. Probably the only place it could have happened. So it'll never happen here.")

If Prop 8 passes, well, it sure pissed off all the gay rights supports and got their asses moving big time.


The opponents should have just kept things quiet. Gay marriage in CA would have just been a blip on the radar. National news for a few days, then fade into the background buzz as everyone got used to it. A little momentum for the movement, to be sure. But not nearly what we're seeing now.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #119
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,225
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
It was a lose-lose situation for them.

If Prop 8 fails, they've helped to bring national awareness that the gates are open and the state is ready to marry the gays off. And it would have given the movement in other states momentum seeing our success. (Although probably not as much because it could be said "Oh, surprise, surprise. Liberal California legalized gay marriage. Probably the only place it could have happened. So it'll never happen here.")

If Prop 8 passes, well, it sure pissed off all the gay rights supports and got their asses moving big time.


The opponents should have just kept things quiet. Gay marriage in CA would have just been a blip on the radar. National news for a few days, then fade into the background buzz as everyone got used to it. A little momentum for the movement, to be sure. But not nearly what we're seeing now.
Yep, California became the martyr for the Gay Rights Movement...

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #120
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
What exactly is the state of gay marriage in California right now?
I've heard it's fabulous.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #121
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,313
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

I think the ban is back in effect until the Supreme Court rules.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #122
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
H5015 Sub A, Marriage Equality has passed in the Rhode Island House, 51 to 19.


Heh, I think I'm starting to like Prop 8 now. It sure did a good job of getting the ball rolling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
It was a lose-lose situation for them.

If Prop 8 fails, they've helped to bring national awareness that the gates are open and the state is ready to marry the gays off. And it would have given the movement in other states momentum seeing our success. (Although probably not as much because it could be said "Oh, surprise, surprise. Liberal California legalized gay marriage. Probably the only place it could have happened. So it'll never happen here.")

If Prop 8 passes, well, it sure pissed off all the gay rights supports and got their asses moving big time.


The opponents should have just kept things quiet. Gay marriage in CA would have just been a blip on the radar. National news for a few days, then fade into the background buzz as everyone got used to it. A little momentum for the movement, to be sure. But not nearly what we're seeing now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Yep, California became the martyr for the Gay Rights Movement...
Great news about Rhode Island! As far as California goes, I really do agree that it has become the martyr for the gay rights movement.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #123
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

UPDATE: OREGON TO BECOME FIRST STATE TO COVER TRANSGENDERED YOUTH UNDER MEDICAID
http://www.advocate.com/politics/tra...under-medicaid

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #124
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,005
Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

UPDATE: INDIA BANS GAY COUPLES AND SINGLE PEOPLE FROM SURROGACY PROGRAMS
http://www.advocate.com/health/healt...ogacy-services

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #125
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,313
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XIII

That'll teach me to skim.

I thought that said Indiana.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.