View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #201
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights

So I was wondering if anyone had any stance on Orson Scott Card writing Superman? Should he be denied work at DC even if it doesn't promote his anti-gay views? Does the fact he was a vocal NOM (National Organization for Marriage) activist make this different than if he just disagreed with gay rights, but wasn't politically involved?

I have my own views, but I'll wait for others to chime in first.

Last edited by JJJ's Ulcer; 02-18-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #202
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
So I was wondering if anyone had any stance on Orson Scott Card writing Superman? Should he be denied work at DC even if it doesn't promote his anti-gay views? Does the fact he was a vocal NOM (National Organization for Marriage) activist make this different than if he just disagreed with gay rights, but wasn't politically involved?

I have my own views, but I'll wait for others to chime in first.
My own opinion is, I don't have to agree with a person's political position(s) to enjoy their work, but within reason. Chuck Norris is against gay marriage, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the Expendables 2 or Delta Force or what have you. If they can keep their politics out of their work, I am generally okay with that. Mel Gibson is the opposite of that: his work is fuelled by his bigotry, so I will not see any movie with him in it.

I mean, I am of Chinese descent and have practically worn out my Lord of the Rings DVDs. (Don't debate me on the racial politics of Tolkien, that will take this thread in a whole different direction).

In Card's case though, it's not just that he's against same-sex marriage or simply finds homosexuality repugnant, he actually wants to make homosexuality a criminal offence again. That is an extreme view, so I'd have to think carefully about whether to buy a Superman comic with his name on it.

That stated, if we are in "rights" territory again, yes, DC Comics is well within its rights to buy stories from Card, but people who oppose Card's views also have a write to send letters protesting this to DC Comics and to not buy their products.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #203
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I think people shouldn't be judged for protesting the book, just as much as he shouldn't be fired for his views... now if DC chooses not to hire him again because such a backlash, than that's fine too.. but he shouldn't be "fired" from a job for has beliefs. Because no one should.

it's also completely ok to be able to like someones work, but not the person (im sorta like that with Rihanna lol.. love her music.. but she's Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown 2.0 in the making) Though.. there does get a point for everyone where that celebrity can cross a line and they choose not to follow them any longer. Everyone has a limit to what they can tolerate i guess.

I don't really have a burning desire to give money to people who want to limit my rights. But.. in this case i don't have to worry about it anyway, since i don't read the book.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #204
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

I was probably going to drop the Super books anyway after H'el on Earth is finished because I'm just not enjoying them. So, it doesn't really effect me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #205
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Lol, the "New 52" has made it extremely easy for us to take a principled stand, hasn't it?

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #206
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Funny how things work out

Quote:
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #207
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I think people shouldn't be judged for protesting the book, just as much as he shouldn't be fired for his views... now if DC chooses not to hire him again because such a backlash, than that's fine too.. but he shouldn't be "fired" from a job for has beliefs. Because no one should.

it's also completely ok to be able to like someones work, but not the person (im sorta like that with Rihanna lol.. love her music.. but she's Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown 2.0 in the making) Though.. there does get a point for everyone where that celebrity can cross a line and they choose not to follow them any longer. Everyone has a limit to what they can tolerate i guess.

I don't really have a burning desire to give money to people who want to limit my rights. But.. in this case i don't have to worry about it anyway, since i don't read the book.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #208
Anubis
Sup?

It'll probably suck anyway.

If his work on Ultimate Iron Man is any indication anyway.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #209
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Cardinal Turkson, potential first black Pope, blames gays for child sex abuse scandal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ic-church.html

Hey Vatican, being gay and a pedophile are not the same thing, so stop trying to scapegoat us.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:

Last edited by Schlosser85; 02-21-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #210
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

The Vatican bashes us at every turn, yet also at every turn they want to use as their scapegoats?

Shouldn't they be thankful we exist?

Movie Review Site:
Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #211
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Cardinal Turkson, potential first black Pope, blames gays for child sex abuse scandal

Hey Vatican, being gay and a pedophile are not the same thing, so stop trying to scapegoat us.

That's nothing new; John Paul II did the exact same thing.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #212
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Eh popes are so out of touchwith reality its pathetic.

They've spent most there life deep in religion. And into there adulthood the massive pedophelia cover-ups would naturally skew there opinion of gays. So this really isn't a shocker to me

Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #213
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

The Vatican needs a serious wake-up call. I'm not surprised by the latest comments at all.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #214
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Discussion: Gay Rights

UPDATE: JON HUNTSMAN SUPPORTS MARRIAGE EQUALITY; CALLS ON GOP TO EVOLVE
http://www.advocate.com/politics/mar...lity-calls-gop

Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #215
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:

Don't be ridiculous. Loving a consenting adult of the same gender, abusing children against their will and the law, tomato, tomato.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #216
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I was watching The Last Boy Scouts the other night and Bruce Willis character said some homophobic stuff. I have seen that movie plenty on time in the past but it was the first time that I noticed it. I wondered if I noticed because I'm more aware of that stuff these days or because its far more rare thing to hear in films these days. In modern movies they probably wouldn't be able to get away something like that. The comments wouldn't make it past the test screenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
The Vatican needs a serious wake-up call. I'm not surprised by the latest comments at all.
The Vatican ain't gonna change anytime soon. Those old guys are living in the 18th century.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #217
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I was watching The Last Boy Scouts the other night and Bruce Willis character said some homophobic stuff. I have seen that movie plenty on time in the past but it was the first time that I noticed it. I wondered if I noticed because I'm more aware of that stuff these days or because its far more rare thing to hear in films these days. In modern movies they probably wouldn't be able to get away something like that. The comments wouldn't make it past the test screenings
Definitely because you are more aware. I was rewatching Buffy recently and I was surprised how often they said "retard" or a version of it

Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #218
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
UPDATE: JON HUNTSMAN SUPPORTS MARRIAGE EQUALITY; CALLS ON GOP TO EVOLVE
http://www.advocate.com/politics/mar...lity-calls-gop
Very cool! Good on him. Hopefully the path he paves will allow for others to follow so real change can happen.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #219
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
I was watching The Last Boy Scouts the other night and Bruce Willis character said some homophobic stuff. I have seen that movie plenty on time in the past but it was the first time that I noticed it. I wondered if I noticed because I'm more aware of that stuff these days or because its far more rare thing to hear in films these days. In modern movies they probably wouldn't be able to get away something like that. The comments wouldn't make it past the test screenings.
Next time you watch Blazing Saddles, imagine trying to make it today.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #220
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Obama Administration Urges Supreme Court To Rethink DOMA

Quote:
The Obama administration is following through on its relatively newfound support of gay marriage. On Friday, the administration filed a legal brief with the Justice Department that urges the Supreme Court to strike down a key part of the Defense of Marriage Act.

The brief formally asks the court to declare unconstitutional a specific part of DOMA called Section 3. That’s the part that bars recognition of same-sex marriages for purposes of federal benefits such as income taxes or federal employee benefits...

The Obama administration notes that some of these couples are legally married so targeting them is “a harsh form of discrimination that bears no relation to their ability to contribute to society.” Moreover, it violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection, the brief states.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #221
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

The Vatican ain't gonna change anytime soon. Those old guys are living in the 18th century.
Mel Gibson says a lot of stuff in the first and second Lethal Weapon movies.

Movie Review Site:
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #222
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
If you think that's bad, go watch some old Eddie Murphy stand up. Especially the one where he talks about Mr. T!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #223
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
I don't remember that. But, the last time I saw the unedited version of those movies was god knows when.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #224
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Quote:
Mel Gibson has a history of going out of his way to bash gays in his movies. That and the fact that he also holds those noxious political positions is enough to make me boycott anything he's in.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #225
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
I don't remember that. But, the last time I saw the unedited version of those movies was god knows when.
In the second one when Murtaugh's house blows up and they're knocked down in the front yard with Murtaugh on top of Riggs, Riggs tells him to get off of him and says "what are ya, a f**?"

He says that word several other times in both movies, too.

Gibson also got a little flack for adding the bit in Braveheart where the King throws his son's boyfriend out the window and kind of playing it off like a comedic moment.

Prince Edward II in Braveheart is portrayed as a complete prissy gay cartoon at every turn the entire movie, anyway.

Also, for some reason in The Passion, Herod seems like a campy effeminate gay man.

Movie Review Site:
Closed Thread