The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #626
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

.... that sounds borderline sexist to me.

Not to mention unimaginative. It's pretty clear if it happens it will be to rescue her for harm or possibly part of the 40+ battle armies. Not to mention there was a photo floating around a couple months ago of John wearing some sort of iron man like repulsor gauntlet.... I don't think you have anything to worry about its won't be a plot of the film if it happens. Unlike batman & robin in which it was a big plot of the film.

It makes sense to have Tony protect those he loves

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #627
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
Rescue would be pretty close to ruining the film for me. The notion of Gwenyth Paltrow in a suit is camp verging on Batman & Robin territory. Hopefully, its only used as an escape pod and not for combat. Seeing Tony's shrieking secretary flying around, blasting things would be stupid. May as well give Happy a suit and make them members of the Avengers.
Yeah, if Pepper just ambled into a suit and starts blasting things with more accuracy than tony and with better flight control, it would be rather.... Silly.

But, the idea of Tony, after facing such a huge threat as he did in Avengers, building a suit for Pepper, one with basic Defensive weapons, and training her to operate it, it makes a heck of a lot of sense to me. It wouldn't be designed to kick ass like Tony's main suit, but it would be designed to 'Rescue' pepper by getting her out of the snafu area ASAP.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #628
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
A full theatrical trailer for Iron Man 3 will drop on March 5th, according to a reliable member of the boxoffice.com forums.
So it'll be attached to Oz, as expected

Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #629
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
.... that sounds borderline sexist to me.

Not to mention unimaginative. It's pretty clear if it happens it will be to rescue her for harm or possibly part of the 40+ battle armies. Not to mention there was a photo floating around a couple months ago of John wearing some sort of iron man like repulsor gauntlet.... I don't think you have anything to worry about its won't be a plot of the film if it happens. Unlike batman & robin in which it was a big plot of the film.

It makes sense to have Tony protect those he loves
This. Especially the bold part. Why is it okay for a nearly 50 year old man to wear a suit of armor, but not for a woman?

It's a totally natural way for Tony's world to progress.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #630
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Rescue would be pretty close to ruining the film for me. The notion of Gwenyth Paltrow in a suit is camp verging on Batman & Robin territory. Hopefully, its only used as an escape pod and not for combat. Seeing Tony's shrieking secretary flying around, blasting things would be stupid. May as well give Happy a suit and make them members of the Avengers.
This whole post is completely over-the-top. Grow an imagination.

Or maybe she should just stay in the kitchen the whole movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
But, the idea of Tony, after facing such a huge threat as he did in Avengers, building a suit for Pepper, one with basic Defensive weapons, and training her to operate it, it makes a heck of a lot of sense to me. It wouldn't be designed to kick ass like Tony's main suit, but it would be designed to 'Rescue' pepper by getting her out of the snafu area ASAP.
Yeah this was brought up awhile back as the most likely scenario.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #631
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Call me a sexist all you like. I think it's stupid and camp to have a secretary with zero skills operating a high tech suit. Tony Stark is a mechanical/engineering genius who perfected the machine over the course of two movies. Rhodey is a veteran fighter pilot that has been trained to handle G-forces and air combat. MCU Pepper operating a Mark suit is out of character. These movies have some semblance of realism.

If you guys want to see Iron Woman, Iron Boy, Iron Dog, Iron Happy, and all that crap--so be it. I don't need to see a slender Mark suit with metallic shaped breasts. I'd rather they not pander to women by shoehorning in lame plot points from the comics. They did the same thing in TDKR by adding in rather pointless characters like Catwoman & Talia to appeal to the geeks/women. Characters that took away precious screentime from Bruce/Batman and turned a great villain into a well spoken goon. Just wait until Pepper killshots Mandarin to save the day and joins the Avengers.....

Give us a real woman superhero movie that doesn't hang on the coattails of established heroes like Iron Man, Batman, Daredevil, and Superman. It's hard not be sexist given that almost all women characters in comics are either sex objects or supporting characters. X-Men is the only one that stands out that is unique in that regard.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #632
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

first off she's a friggin CEO not a secretary. that comment IS sexist (and completely ignorant) it shows how little you actually view women that you apparently shut your brain off when they walk on a screen

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 02-10-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #633
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

How do some people weigh their opinions on this film if Pepper is suiting up or not? Please look at the bigger picture here, not one scene that will probably last for 2 minutes at most. I'll never understand people haha

Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #634
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's hard not be sexist
We all have our burdens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
How do some people weigh their opinions on this film if Pepper is suiting up or not? Please look at the bigger picture here, not one scene that will probably last for 2 minutes at most. I'll never understand people haha
The same way they form opinions over other ridiculous things like feet boots and Facebook references. They just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. It happens with every single one of these movies that comes down the pipe.

- Ryōkan

Last edited by Whiskey Tango; 02-10-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #635
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
first off she's a friggin CEO not a secretary. that comment IS sexist (and completely ignorant) it shows how little you actually view women that you apparently shut your brain off when they walk on a screen
I don't shut my brain off with women in movies. I just think it's stupid to shoehorn women into action roles that make zero sense. I had no problem with Black Widow or Maria Hill in Avengers. Pepper suiting up would be as laughable as Aunt May attached with the symbiote fighting the Rhino.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #636
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Call me a sexist all you like.
I wasn't going to bother, but now we have your permission so....

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #637
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
apparently we got a woman hater, don't know why. Woman are beautiful, beautiful creatures :P

Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #638
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Yes I hate women because of criticism of a fictional character.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #639
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

The whole "Rescue armor" fiasco is painted out for you guys in black and white, right there on the cover of a damn toy box. You can be in denial all you want, but it shows the story right there. The only nod to "Rescue" is that Pepper hastily dons a convenient suit --- or, as someone else suggested, Tony TK's the Extremis armor around her to protect her --- when the mansion is collapsing. She doesn't know how to use the suit, obviously, and gets dragged down to the bottom of the ocean.

Whether or not she then survives from that point is anybody's guess. I say no, others say yes. YMMV.

But there's no way in hell she's going to suit up and play superheroine and join Tony in the final battle (El Mariachi is right on the money that that's a Schumacher/Adam West dick move); nor is Tony designing a special Rescue armor specifically for her. Feige, Black, and RDJ are smarter than that.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #640
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

I think its a bit ridiculous to think shes gonna go all batgirl from a simple rumor. I think we all want the story to flow and not feel forced. El mariachi is just completely explaining his thoughts in a very horrible way.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #641
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Glad you agree with me, sam. I just don't want to see her as a superheroine. Its out of character and has a B&R vibe. Don't need Jarvis telling Tony that "were going to need a bigger garage", then watching all three fly out of the Malibu mansion to AC/DC.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #642
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Glad you agree with me, sam. I just don't want to see her as a superheroine. Its out of character and has a B&R vibe. Don't need Jarvis telling Tony that "were going to need a bigger garage", then watching all three fly out of the Malibu mansion to AC/DC.
Good god, no.

Might as well call Schumacher in for costume design and put Iron Nipples on the Mk 47, Rescue, and "Iron Hogan."

Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #643
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

No one is expecting her to become a hero. I wouldn't be shocked if she wears it again at the end during the battle but not fighting with tony. More of a defense type of thing or a scene where she rescues happy (if either are alive at this point) though i do think she survives the mansion attack. I don't see lego making a play set out of a tragic/morbid scene like that...

I doubt they'd do "gwen's death on a bridge" lego set either.... At the very least it wouldnt come with a gwen figure lol

The only way pepper would ever dawn a suit wold be during a very very extreme situation. And it wouldn't be to fight

Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #644
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
But there's no way in hell she's going to suit up and play superheroine and join Tony in the final battle
It's a good thing that no one suggested that then. Except duder who went into panic mode over it.

- Ryōkan

Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #645
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

She doesn't even do that in the books far as I know. That cartoon where they were all teens game her weaponry and made her part of the team along with WM.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #646
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
So it'll be attached to Oz, as expected

This is Disney/Marvel synergy at work. Now all we need is for Oz not to pull a John Carter and all will be well.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #647
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I think the rescue scene is going to be either really really cool where she does do something heroic (almost on accident or by reacting out of adreniline(sp)), or just end up being a moment of Tony protecting her from death. Both are fine by me.. I don't see how a scene that will take up no more than 5 minutes of screen time can alter a movie.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #648
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

she gon' die

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #649
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Too many men on here it makes perfect sense for Pepper to become Rescue. She's at risk, she can't have Tony following her round all the time- why not have her have armor?
I would be more happy if she decided to have the armor to rescue others, but that's not gonna happen

Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #650
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Too many men on here it makes perfect sense for Pepper to become Rescue. She's at risk, she can't have Tony following her round all the time- why not have her have armor?
Because that's not her *role.* She is a supporting character, in the movies *and* the comics. Giving her armor is like giving armor to Aunt May or Lois Lane....yeah, they're at-risk targets, and you might feel better if they've got that sort of protection; but they're not in the superhero business, and they want to live NORMAL lives; not having to jump into a damn ultra-tech tin-man suit every time the **** hits the fan.

Leave superhero-ing to the superheroes and superheroines. Let the supporting cast remain the Muggles they're supposed to be.

Closed Thread