The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #76
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Default Re: Infinity

I just read over at Bleeding Cool that next years Marvel event has already been discussed during their recent creative summit. It's going to be spearheaded by Aaron and Remender with JRJR most likely on art. It's going to involve the Celestials, Apocalypse, Archangel and Magneto. I guess that makes the current Uncanny Avengers arc a pretty damn important one going forward.

The other early year event (a la what Age of Ultron was this year) will be an All New X-Men /GotG crossover. It seems like Marvel is pretty well set on giving Bendis his own personal events to do once a year then have the main one by the other guys.

Whatevs, I really want to see a Remender helmed event. He's certainly got what it takes, if anyone has ever read The Dark Angel Saga, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #77
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
I just read over at Bleeding Cool that next years Marvel event has already been discussed during their recent creative summit. It's going to be spearheaded by Aaron and Remender with JRJR most likely on art. It's going to involve the Celestials, Apocalypse, Archangel and Magneto. I guess that makes the current Uncanny Avengers arc a pretty damn important one going forward.

The other early year event (a la what Age of Ultron was this year) will be an All New X-Men /GotG crossover. It seems like Marvel is pretty well set on giving Bendis his own personal events to do once a year then have the main one by the other guys.

Whatevs, I really want to see a Remender helmed event. He's certainly got what it takes, if anyone has ever read The Dark Angel Saga, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
For the love of God, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why won't Romita JR just retire already? His art in Avengers made the book near unreadable. This is seriously the worst news I could have read.

StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #78
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
For the love of God, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why won't Romita JR just retire already? His art in Avengers made the book near unreadable. This is seriously the worst news I could have read.
I totally hear what you're saying and I agree to an extent...his Avengers run was horrific. But you have to see what he's been doing on Captain America, it's hard to believe that it's the same guy drawing the stuff. If they go through with this plan and use JRJR, it is absolutely a 100% necessity that they get Dean White to do colors for the book. I was never one to put a lot of stock into colorists but when some folks around here said how great his work is I was in complete awe.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #79
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
I agree although I am far more optimistic about Infinity's quality than I have been for past events. Far too often, event tie-in issues are a cheap money grab that only serve to disrupt the flow of storylines happening in other titles. There have been very few tie-in issues that seem to actually added to the main event. That said, Hickman's promises that Infinity will be segmented into separate mini-events in tie-in titles might remedy this.

Still, I'd prefer that individual titles are largely left alone.
I read in an interview from Brevoort (or however you spell his name) earlier this week that New Avengers and Avengers are ESSENTIAL to the story. According to him they could have just as easily branded Infinity a 16 or 17 part crossover between the two titles and the main mini. If I'm remembering correctly, he emphasized that stories would begin in the main mini and continue over into the two Avenger titles.

So essentially, you HAVE to buy all 3 or you're only getting a fraction of the story. It's crap like that that's turning me off of this event. My buying New Avengers is the only thing that has me still considering it.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #80
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I read in an interview from Brevoort (or however you spell his name) earlier this week that New Avengers and Avengers are ESSENTIAL to the story. According to him they could have just as easily branded Infinity a 16 or 17 part crossover between the two titles and the main mini. If I'm remembering correctly, he emphasized that stories would begin in the main mini and continue over into the two Avenger titles.

So essentially, you HAVE to buy all 3 or you're only getting a fraction of the story. It's crap like that that's turning me off of this event. My buying New Avengers is the only thing that has me still considering it.
Well, as long as they're essential. I'm more concerned with tie-ins that have little to no impact on the main story. There were a few Siege tie-in issues of New Avengers that seemed to use the Siege banner only to sell issues. Same with Civil War. Aside from the Punisher saving Spider-Man, the Punisher War Journal Civil War tie-ins were pretty pointless and added little to the overall story. Same with Captain America and Iron Man.

Anyway, Hickman is a fantastic writer and I'm fairly confident that Infinity will be better than the last few events. In any case, I've been happily reading New Avengers and Avengers since the relaunch and am not bothered by their prominence to the main event.

I'm far more concerned of the rumors that JRJR is illustrating next year's event. His work on Captain America may be good (or so I'm told) but I've had quite a few good stories ruined for me by his sloppy, undetailed, boxy, retro art (he draws technology like it's the 1970s). Bendis' relaunch of Avengers was crippled by the art and Slott's "New Ways To Die" arc in Amazing Spider-Man was made unreadable due to the s****y penciling. The man couldn't draw Ultron or Venom to save his life. The only time I've ever not hated JRJR's art was during World War Hulk. If JRJR's in, I'm out and I have a few friends who feel the same way.

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 07-03-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #81
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Well, JR Jr.'s nothing but a huge mark in the "pros" column for me. I'm excited.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #82
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
I totally hear what you're saying and I agree to an extent...his Avengers run was horrific. But you have to see what he's been doing on Captain America, it's hard to believe that it's the same guy drawing the stuff. If they go through with this plan and use JRJR, it is absolutely a 100% necessity that they get Dean White to do colors for the book. I was never one to put a lot of stock into colorists but when some folks around here said how great his work is I was in complete awe.
I hear you. I have NEVER appreciated JRJR on art but colorists can make a world of difference. Technicoloring needs to stay in the 70's. I understand that I should probably give JRJR a chance but he's ruined too many books for me in the past and there are far more modern artists deserving of drawing a mega event. Were Cheung, Yu, Copiel, Opena, Weaver, Immomen, etc. all busy? There are few artists that would actually prevent me from buying a title. Chakin, Dillon, and JRJR are the only ones that immediately come to mind.

And yes, I realize theat Cheung, Opena, and Weaver are all on Infinity.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #83
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

JRJr is hit or miss for me. There are times when I LOVE his art and times when it's just a blocky clayfaced mess.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #84
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

You can definitely tell when JR Jr.'s rushing. He needs time to make his art really shine.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #85
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I loved his Uncanny X-Men stuff in the 90s. He was the artist when I first came on to X-Men. He occasionally channels that and I love it. His Charles Xavier is till my favorite rendition. JRJr's return to X-Men during Xavier's run on X-Men Legacy was fantastic.

I miss Chuck

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #86
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
It's stuff like that that keeps me away from comics. I just want to be able to buy one or two titles here and there and enjoy the story. All these crossovers and events are definitely intimidating.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #87
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I hate it. Crossovers should feel special, and events should be epic and major deals. These days though, they're just another expensive story.

At least DC's major stories have been smaller. Trinity War's the biggest that I can think of and it's only 6 issues among 3 titles with 3 other titles tieing in for an issue or two. Heck, Flashpoint only affected 1 ongoing title (Booster Gold). The last all-encompasing DC event that I can think of was Infinite Crisis. Since that time Marvel's had Secret Invasion, Siege, Fear Itself, AvX, and now Infinity. Not only did they have those major crossover events, but they also had other events on par with DC's events like Spider-Island, Shadowland, Age of Ultron, Second Coming, etc.

Marvel seems to have forgotten how to write an ongoing title without an event to push their line. People were complaining about them having one once a year. Now they're doing them twice a year. It definitely gets old.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #88
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't mind it. In Infinity's case, I buy all of the titles directly involved anyway. If I run into an event that I don't read a lot of the titles for, I usually just drop whatever I do read for the duration of the event. The upcoming Battle of the Atom is Bendis' X-Men event, for example, and I don't read any of Bendis' X-stuff. It's going to suck Wolverine and the X-Men into it for a couple months, though, so I'll just be dropping WatXM for those months, then I'll pick it back up when it's over. I can see how that solution wouldn't be ideal for some, but it's not a big deal to me.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #89
StreetWarrior

Default Infinity: A Marvel Comics Event

So, the first issue of Marvel's second event for 2013 was just released and it was ... excellent to say the least! As with nearly every event, issue no. 1 served to set up the scene for the following five issues and crossovers. For those who haven't been paying attention to the core of the MU for the last year or have somehow missed Marvel's marketing campaigns, Infinity is a major event spinning out of the Avengers and New Avengers titles. Infinity #1 opens with a reprint of this year's "free comic book day" Infinity prologue. What follows is an oversized issue (basically double the normal story length) that serves to provide the basis for the various plotlines coming to a head in this event. Story spoilers ahead so proceed with caution!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

As announced in previews several months ago, Infinity represents a conclusion to the "builders" story arc that has comprised the first 17 issues of Avengers. The alien race, referred to only as "the builders", that sought to cultivate Mars and transform Earth via evolutionary bombs is cutting a path through the universe, leaving entire planets destroyed in their wake. The Avengers become aware of this impending threat from multiple sources: alien refugees fleeing other star systems, S.W.O.R.D.'s monitoring of alien communication channels, and Captain Universe herself. Realizing the threat posed to Earth, the Avengers split into two teams (the composition of each has not yet been revealed) and took off to aid the galactic council in defeating the Builders before they can reach Earth. Meanwhile, Thanos has been searching the galaxy for unknown item(s) of power. One of his scouts, first introduced in the FCBD issue has travelled to Earth in search of something mysterious. It discovers what it is looking for while analyzing the thoughts and memories of the Inhuman king, Blackbolt, but it its injured while escaping. The scout reports back to Thanos that what he desires (presumably the Infinity Gems or the means to obtain them) resides with the Inhumans. Thanos' six champions are revealed (can't remember their names) along with his army of various conquered alien races. The issue ends with Thanos grinning at the prospect of an Earth left seemingly undefended by the Avengers.

Wow. That was quite a bit of story for one issue! I'll save a review for the bought/thought thread but I wanted to share some theories on what's to come. First, while Infinity is housing the main event, Thanos' assault on a (mostly) unguarded Earth, it appears that the Avengers and New Avengers tie-ins will focus on defeating the Builders in space. This is pure speculation but: 2 teams = 2 titles? This could explain Hickman's assertion that the Avengers' tie-ins are an integral part of the story not a retelling or behind-the-scenes details on happenings in the main event. Second, Infinity #1 seems to tie into a lot of plot threads previously established in other titles but it is unclear just how much impact the events of New Avengers will have on Thanos and the Builders. Really, Infinity seems like a continuation of Avengers rather than a standalone event.

I have nothing but praise for the first issue of Infinity. This event is definitely high concept and a nice change of pace from the heros vs. heroes or alternate reality themes that have plagued Marvel events for the last decade or so. This event might be a little confusing for new readers or those who haven't been following the Avengers titles throughout the last year but I would recommend this for anyone who loves a well-written and well-illustrated, coherent story that feels truly deserving of being a major Marvel event.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #90
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

It's been stated that the space stuff is being dealt with in Avengers and other various tie-ins while the core mini and New Avengers deals with Thanos on Earth. I'm also assuming that aspects of the space stuff will be touched on in the main mini to keep readers of that up to date.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #91
Mr. Dent
Banned User

lol at Thanos having The Other as his herald and Marauders as his gang of pirates. Wonder if that's hinting the Marauders in Thor 2 are related to Thanos?

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #92
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Book was alright. Just too many characters and too many things happening at the same time. Difficult to digest everything.

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #93
Mr. Dent
Banned User

That's how Hickman's first issue of Avengers was. It'll all make sense and be clear by the end.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #94
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I was gonna say "he only has 6 issues to do it in" but then I remembered he writes the other 2 Avengers books that tie into this. :sigh: I'm preparing for a long convoluted ride.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #95
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I almost picked this up today... it certainly looks nice...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #96
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

I just finished reading Infinity #1 and I loved it.

One thing I noticed, and hope it's not just my imagination, was that it seems like Earth will finally enter into the intergalactic council. Hopefully I'm correct and that by the end of the event they're finally take the next step. I mean it's not like Earth doesn't know about aliens anymore. It'll be interesting to see where they take this, if they do.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #97
Shazam
Side-Kick

Just finished reading the first book.......can someone tell me what the Panther was doing in the beginning?? What did he have in his hand and what exploded?? I didn't understand that sequence..

Last edited by Shazam; 08-20-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #98
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Just finished reading the first book.......can someone tell me what the Panther was doing in the beginning?? What did he have in his hand and what exploded?? I didn't understand that sequence..
Honestly you might want to read the New Avengers run to catch yourself up and read the first 5-6 issues of Avengers and the Prelude to Infinity arc in Avengers too.

But that device is/was a world destroying device. Basically because of some event parallel Earths are coming into contact with each other and destroying each other and their respective universes which causes a chain reaction that causes more worlds/universes to be destroyed. When two Earths come into contact with each other this event is called an Incursion. The Illuminati were made aware of these events by Black Panther. They then captured a woman who used a device to destroy an Earth thus saving the other Earth (616 it just so happens) and stopping the incursion. However, stopping one incursion only buys Earth a limited amount of time before another one occurs. The Illuminati tried to use the Infinity Gauntlet to stop the incursions but after stopping one the gems broke and one gem (can't remember which one) seemingly disappeared. So the Illuminati had to use the device the woman had (by reverse engineering it and creating their own) to stop another incursion. Destroying a world to save their own had/will have a profound affect on the heroes.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #99
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post

The Illuminati tried to use the Infinity Gauntlet to stop the incursions but after stopping one the gems broke and one gem (can't remember which one) seemingly disappeared.
It was the time gem that vanished.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #100
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Honestly you might want to read the New Avengers run to catch yourself up and read the first 5-6 issues of Avengers and the Prelude to Infinity arc in Avengers too.

But that device is/was a world destroying device. Basically because of some event parallel Earths are coming into contact with each other and destroying each other and their respective universes which causes a chain reaction that causes more worlds/universes to be destroyed. When two Earths come into contact with each other this event is called an Incursion. The Illuminati were made aware of these events by Black Panther. They then captured a woman who used a device to destroy an Earth thus saving the other Earth (616 it just so happens) and stopping the incursion. However, stopping one incursion only buys Earth a limited amount of time before another one occurs. The Illuminati tried to use the Infinity Gauntlet to stop the incursions but after stopping one the gems broke and one gem (can't remember which one) seemingly disappeared. So the Illuminati had to use the device the woman had (by reverse engineering it and creating their own) to stop another incursion. Destroying a world to save their own had/will have a profound affect on the heroes.
WOW....I do have a lot of reading to catch up on! But wow.........you mean that the heroes are committing genocide in order to save their world?

So that's why Panther said he was remembering who he use to be........

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote