The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #101
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Default Re: Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
WOW....I do have a lot of reading to catch up on! But wow.........you mean that the heroes are committing genocide in order to save their world?

So that's why Panther said he was remembering who he use to be........
That was the first and so far only time they used the device and it just so happened that that particular Earth had already been ravaged and there was no life left on the planet. It still had an affect on them because that was the 3rd incursion and by this time they were out of ideas on what to do to stop them.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The second incursion was stopped because a parallel Galactus ate the Earth before it could destroy the 616 one. Also if you didn't know Black Panther and Namor are at full blown war with each other. Namor wanted peace but T'Challa's sister (the current leader) agreed to war instead. T'Challa then called a secret meeting with Namor and told him what his sister said and while Namor was away from his kingdom Wakanda led a strike against Namor and was able to deal a heavy blow against them.

The New Avengers will focus on the incursion/s that happen during Infinity and Thanos' attack on Earth. Avengers will focus on the Builders (have you read Avengers?) And it looks like Infinity will focus on both from the way the last page shows it.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #102
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
That was the first and so far only time they used the device and it just so happened that that particular Earth had already been ravaged and there was no life left on the planet. It still had an affect on them because that was the 3rd incursion and by this time they were out of ideas on what to do to stop them.

The second incursion was stopped because a parallel Galactus ate the Earth before it could destroy the 616 one. Also if you didn't know Black Panther and Namor are at full blown war with each other. Namor wanted peace but T'Challa's sister (the current leader) agreed to war instead. T'Challa then called a secret meeting with Namor and told him what his sister said and while Namor was away from his kingdom Wakanda led a strike against Namor and was able to deal a heavy blow against them.

The New Avengers will focus on the incursion/s that happen during Infinity and Thanos' attack on Earth. Avengers will focus on the Builders (have you read Avengers?) And it looks like Infinity will focus on both from the way the last page shows it.

The most current Avengers I've read is Age of Ultron. I saw that at the end of that story, that Galactus is now in the Ultimate universe because damge tot the timeline.

This Wakanda/Atlantis war seems oddly similar to the Flashpoint Amazon/Atlantis War over at DC. Yep...I got some catching up to do.

Thanks for the info.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #103
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Quote:

Marvel and their s***** editors, that continuity chart is ALREADY wrong. New Avengers #8 takes place entirely after Infinity #1. Why it was published a month beforehand and sports an "Infinity Prelude" banner I'll never know. So unbelievably sloppy.

It's simple carelessness or stupidity like this that makes re-reading events and their tie-ins after the fact a near nightmare (I'm looking at you Civil War and Secret Invasion)...

StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #104
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
Marvel and their s***** editors, that continuity chart is ALREADY wrong. New Avengers #8 takes place entirely after Infinity #1. Why it was published a month beforehand and sports an "Infinity Prelude" banner I'll never know. So unbelievably sloppy.

It's simple carelessness or stupidity like this that makes re-reading events and their tie-ins after the fact a near nightmare (I'm looking at you Civil War and Secret Invasion)...
So where does "Age of Ultron" fall?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #105
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
So where does "Age of Ultron" fall?
It has a "shifting" continuity. As the events of AoU are prevented by a change to the past in Avengers #12.1, the "current" events become an alternate-future of sorts. You know, the kind of thing Marvel promised the event wouldn't be during the first promotions earlier this year.

So, in short, it's implied that Age of Ultron doesn't fit into continuity. If you asked Marvel why they lied, I'm sure someone would just plug their ears and start shouting "broken time stream" until you gave up and went home...

Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #106
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

New Avengers 8 isn't on that chart. :/

Quote:
It has a "shifting" continuity. As the events of AoU are prevented by a change to the past in Avengers #12.1, the "current" events become an alternate-future of sorts. You know, the kind of thing Marvel promised the event wouldn't be during the first promotions earlier this year.

So, in short, it's implied that Age of Ultron doesn't fit into continuity. If you asked Marvel why they lied, I'm sure someone would just plug their ears and start shouting "broken time stream" until you gave up and went home...
Aren't you wrong though? AoU DID happen, but it was retconned out of existence through actions taken in the event itself. So it wasn't an alternate future to begin with, it became that after Wolverine did his time travel stuff. That is why in Guardians, Indestructible Hulk, and Hunger they're dealing with the fallout of the space-time continuum shattering.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #107
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
New Avengers 8 isn't on that chart. :/ .
But it SHOULD be. It should be listed after Infinity #1. How can a prelude take place before what it follows?

Quote:
Aren't you wrong though? AoU DID happen, but it was retconned out of existence through actions taken in the event itself. So it wasn't an alternate future to begin with, it became that after Wolverine did his time travel stuff. That is why in Guardians, Indestructible Hulk, and Hunger they're dealing with the fallout of the space-time continuum shattering .
How was what I said incorrect? AoU takes place outside of continuity as the actions taken by Wolverine and Pym retroactively prevented its very occurence. If the time-stream hadn't been broken, it would be as if AoU had never occured at all. It seems to me that we're saying the same thing...

Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #108
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

I mean it's not like the whole issue took place after the events of Infinity 1, just the last page or two. That was probably considered a little teaser of what's to come. They do it all the time. I think New Avengers 8 works perfectly well before Infinity.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #109
StreetWarrior

Quote:
I mean it's not like the whole issue took place after the events of Infinity 1, just the last page or two. That was probably considered a little teaser of what's to come. They do it all the time. I think New Avengers 8 works perfectly well before Infinity.
I'm not trying to argue, but literally the FIRST line in the issue is Tony talking to Reed and he says something similar to "So all the Avengers just left for space". Why did the Avengers just leave for space? Because of the Builders, as shown in Infinity #1... where it also shows them leaving. Additionally, it makes no sense to show Thanos' generals a month before you introduce them. I'm not blaming Hickman - the issue works perfectly fine if you read it AFTER Infinity. I blame the editors for not delaying it a month and/or for slapping the "prelude" banner on the front.

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 08-21-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #110
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
But it SHOULD be. It should be listed after Infinity #1. How can a prelude take place before what it follows?
Because it was teasing the event. The only thing that had occurred in the issue that had happened after the beginning of Infinity #1 was the Avengers leaving. Otherwise the issues happens at the very beginning of Thanos's invasion.

Quote:
How was what I said incorrect? AoU takes place outside of continuity as the actions taken by Wolverine and Pym retroactively prevented its very occurence. If the time-stream hadn't been broken, it would be as if AoU had never occured at all. It seems to me that we're saying the same thing...
Because what you said is that the actions of Avengers 12.1, back in 2011, caused Age of Ultron to happen in an alternate timeline. That's not what happened. AoU was retconned out of existence in the event itself, so no, they did not lie about the event not occurring in a different timeline or whatever because it DID occur in 616.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #111
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Because it was teasing the event. The only thing that had occurred in the issue that had happened after the beginning of Infinity #1 was the Avengers leaving. Otherwise the issues happens at the very beginning of Thanos's invasion.
Thanos does not invade until after Infinity #1. You keep accidentally proving my point.

Quote:
Because what you said is that the actions of Avengers 12.1, back in 2011, caused Age of Ultron to happen in an alternate timeline. That's not what happened. AoU was retconned out of existence in the event itself, so no, they did not lie about the event not occurring in a different timeline or whatever because it DID occur in 616.
I NEVER said that 12.1 caused Age of Ultron. I said it was the point where AoU was removed from the history books of the 616 (e.g. removed from continuity). AoU #10 was a retelling of Avengers #12.1 - that is a FACT.

Maybe YOU need to reread Age of Ultron. The Avengers faced Ultron back in Avengers #12.1. AoU took place sometime around the start of Marvel Now (solely b/c of the inclusion of Spock). During the event, Wolverine and Sue Storm convinced Pym to build an emergency shutdown failsafe into Ultron to be used at some point in the future. This all occurred in the past (within continuity). Fast forward to the last time the Avengers fought Ultron (which, again, was issue #12.1 from a few years ago). Pym triggers the failsafe during this battle, thus preventing Age of Ultron from occurring at all and erasing it from continuity (aside from the time stream breaking). You can call this a "retcon" if you want. I will not debating semantics with you. Tomato/tomato.

As Age of Ultron was "retconned" from occuring in the 616, it became an alternate reality. It may have occurred but it is largely irrelevant now. Hence, my feeling lied to by Marvel in that this event is definitely in continuity. Sure, it was in continuity. For about 5 minutes!

We have been saying the exact same thing. Why are you trying to start a fight over semantics?

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 08-21-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #112
Shazam
Side-Kick

Old 08-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #113
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Your debate is giving Shazam a headache! Knock it off

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #114
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Someone needs to quit nerd raging here about such a minor detail. It's been done and it doesn't really mess with continuity of Infinity.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #115
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Someone needs to quit nerd raging here about such a minor detail. It's been done and it doesn't really mess with continuity of Infinity.
... okay.

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 08-23-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #116
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Though whichever says New Avengers 8 should have come after Infinity #1 is correct. There are several mentions in New Avengers 8 that solidly put it after the events of Infinity #1. Too many to make it a "preview" of what's to come.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #117
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Heh... Infinity had a couple extra guest stars than I initially thought.

Here's Luke Skywalker and potentially Mara Jade...

And just on the far right is ol' Darth Vader himself (sans the mask)

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #118
StreetWarrior

Hah! The second page kind of looks more like Darth Malgus to me but those are pretty cool easter eggs in any case. No way that wasn't intentional!

EDIT: Issue #2 next week! With Avengers and New Avengers containing such important parts of the story, this event seems to be moving right along!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #119
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm curious how the core mini is going to work around Avengers and New Avengers. Are we going to see Thanos' forces make a grand entrance in issue 2 (even though it's already happened in New Avengers) and are we going to see a mini version of the space fight from Avengers? With how Hickman and Brevoort talk about this could have been numbered parts 1-15, I'm curious how much overlap there's going to be.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #120
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

INFINITY #2 (of 6)
JONATHAN HICKMAN (W) • JEROME OPENA & DUSTIN WEAVER (A)
COVER BY ADAM KUBERT
Variant Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG
Design Variant by JEROME OPENA
Generals Variant by IN-HYUK LEE
Hero Variant by STEVE MCNIVEN
• The Inhumans pay the tribute.
• Victory in deep space.
• The secrets of Thanos.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 09-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #121
StreetWarrior

Beautiful! Absolutely perfect art

Old 09-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #122
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

edit

Last edited by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs; 09-08-2013 at 12:00 PM.
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #123
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Most people are well aware of that. The Hype doesn't support the promotion of pirated material for obvious reasons so that's why it's not brought up a lot.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #124
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Actually, it's HIGHLY frowned upon. You might want to edit that post out to save yourself some flack.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #125
StreetWarrior

Highly frowned upon for good reasons. Piracy really is a dirty word around here and should be elsewhere as well. I want to echo runawayboulder and JewishHobbit: that kind of talk can get you into trouble...