The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #26
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Not Lucas-y enough. You can do better, I know it.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #27
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

"I rescued you from the fire Jean-Claude. Not with my arms, but with the fire of my own heart!"

Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #28
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

That's so disturbing it actually works.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #29
combocaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
I say kill Dolph, Arnold, Sly and Bruce in Expendables 3, have an Expendables sequel trilogy with Statham, Diesel, The Rock, Gina Carano and Scott Adkins.
Scott Adkins is a no go. Statham put his head through a chopper blade.

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
The Flash Ezra Miller
Green Lantern ?????
combocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #30
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

I doubt audiences would recognise him if he where to play an American or an Englishman.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #31
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

With no facial hair. And blonde.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #32
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Nah, just his normal buzz cut.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #33
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Damn you for depriving me of the Silva of that franchise.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #34
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I actually thing the characters nowadays for action films are far more engaging than in the 80/90's.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #35
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Damn you for depriving me of the Silva of that franchise.
We already got the Silva of that franchise.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #36
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I thought that was the Grant of that franchise.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #37
-JKR-
Side-Kick

I don't think that old school action movies are dead. The problem is that they're generic and bland nowadays. No ideas, no creativity. People in the biz are probably convinced that action alone warrants an 'old school action movie.' But look at the most popular flicks from the 1980's and 1990's, they were exciting concepts, brought to the screen with vitality and expertise. The producers, writers and (especially) directors (John McTiernan, James Cameron, Paul Verhoeven, Richard Donner, Tony Scott, etc.) knew EXACTLY what they were doing, and what they wanted to achieve. Nowadays they slap music video and commercial directors onto those pics, who most of the time have no real vision, except for trying to break into the biz.

To me the best old school action movies (which are disguised as comic book movies) are Christopher Nolan's Batman movies. Think about it. They look and feel like old school action.

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #38
Project862006
Banned User

imo films like taken,craig bond films and the bourne films killed the old school action genre when we have actors like damon,craig, and neeson doing bad ass action and also bringing their respective characters to life and not just playing themselves like arnie and sly do these days it is easy to see why their movies are flopping we have better actors doing better action scenes

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #39
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
imo films like taken,craig bond films and the bourne films killed the old school action genre when we have actors like damon,craig, and neeson doing bad ass action and also bringing their respective characters to life and not just playing themselves like arnie and sly do these days it is easy to see why their movies are flopping we have better actors doing better action scenes
Well, that's nothing new ever since 1987, when (then television star) Bruce Willis was offered $5 million to star in the action pic "Die Hard".

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #40
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

^ 48 Hours and Lethal Weapon, as well.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 02-06-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Jake Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #41
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I am starting to fear that the old school action movie is dead. I mean, I have only seen The Last Stand out of the 3 movies focused on, but I loved it, it was exactly the type of movie that would have been a big hit in the 80's, and the minimal CGI was VERY refreshing in this day and age.

But its obvious the crowds just dont go for that anymore, as others have said, Craig's Bond, and before that Damon's Bourne introduced audiences to an action man that could kick ass, yet show sensitivity, weakness and emotion. You didnt really get that in the 80's, yet people are lapping it up now.

If the old school action movie does die, I for one will be going the cinema a lot less over the coming years.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #42
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Last Stand, Parker and Bullet to the Head didn't have a hook to them. You can Redbox the DTV equivalents to these for cheaper.

The Tomb has a hook. Arnie and Sly throwing down in a supermax prison they have to escape. Ten has a hook, an ensemble cast getting murdered one by one, it's a David Ayer film too, he's a big name these days.
Ehh i'd say "the last stand" had arguably as big or a bigger hook than "The Tomb". You have arnie in his first starring role in 10 years as a bad-ass sheriff of a town that is the only thing stopping a drug kingpin on the run from the FBI from escaping to mexico.

Not to mention it didn't get terrible reviews which is a big deal for these types of action movies. It had everything going for it but...audiences didn't care.

I always figured bullet was going to bomb but i was quite surprised the last stand did.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #43
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Same here, I thought TLS would do very well, at least making its modest budget back domestically, but no, not even close. The movie got decent reviews and was the return of a major star, very surprising.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #44
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Full agreement. Charm goes a long way, and it's insanely hard to replicate. A film either has it or it doesn't. 'Back in the day' stuff has it in spades.
And the early 90's also a bunch of wannabe's getting into the act too like Brian Bosworth, Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Jeff Speakman, even Eric Roberts was dong a few low budget actioners.

But the funniest is Sasha Mithchell who played dimwit Cody on the sitcom Step By Step also starred in a string of Kickboxer martial arts movies.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #45
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Basically your badass can't just be badass, he has to be intellectual and savvy to boot. And kind of an...don't wanna say emo, but you know.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #46
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

The days of 'roided musclehead action guys are long gone, why do you think Vin Diesel can only have success when he's in an ensemble cast?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #47
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

One of the first changes in the action movie was in the mid 90's when Cage, Travolta, Cruise and other guys known more for dramas and thrillers started making summer blockbuster action films, it was seen in some ways as an upgrade on the 80's method of casting the big muscled look over acting talent.

I wonder if they made an error in the marketing of the Last Stand by having Arnie's age be a part of it, we all know he's getting on in years but I'm not sure audiences want that to be made so apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Full agreement. Charm goes a long way, and it's insanely hard to replicate. A film either has it or it doesn't. 'Back in the day' stuff has it in spades.

If films manage to have an aura about them, in marketing and hype, that's a start.

There seems to be a quandry of either trying too hard or not trying enough.

Anyway, old school never dies. If I've got it on a disc it's forever.
Definitely, I think now films are as you say trying to capture that essence and you can't, you have to create your own vibe for your era.

Yes, these films will live forever and in crisp HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I don't think Old School Action movies are dead, but just the stars' popularity. I think another problem with these stars is that they're on the wrong end of "you know what you're getting" with these guys.
Do you think you can have a summer full of movies where the action is mostly real stunts, the heroes are cops or military/agents and the threat is not world changing? I just think now the essence of the McClane and Rambo type of action movie has been diluted into a lot of B movie stuff that drops in either the Jan/Feb or Sept/Oct slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
And the early 90's also a bunch of wannabe's getting into the act too like Brian Bosworth, Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Jeff Speakman, even Eric Roberts was dong a few low budget actioners.
Stone Cold was awesome!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #48
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider
I wonder if they made an error in the marketing of the Last Stand by having Arnie's age be a part of it, we all know he's getting on in years but I'm not sure audiences want that to be made so apparent.
This almost got me thinking when Charles Bronson was doing the Death Wish movies there was nary a mention of his age and he was pushing well into his 70's on the 5th one in the series I think.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #49
SoulManX
The Inspector!

I say it time for a Mega Force reboot!

SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #50
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
We already got the Silva of that franchise.

I love the fact that 'Expendables 2' tried so hard to hide Jean-Claude's puffy eyebags. If he's not wearing those damn sunglasses, his face is always always dimly lit.