The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #51
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!
 
dude love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 9,064
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

His eyebags came from wearing sunglasses all day. His eyes where fine in Day of Reckoning and in the "are efred of meh?" Scene.

dude love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #52
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 39,374
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

haha, really? Seriously, I thought you could fit luggages in those eyebags of his. Get some cucumbers or something, Jean-Claude!

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #53
TruerToTheCore
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth-1
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

The old school action movie is dead for almost 20 years.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #54
jacobed
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,646
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Keep them dead. I'll take Bourne, Bond, Batman, Avengers or Jack Reacher type action over that 80's Ahnold/Sly crap any day of the week

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #55
-JKR-
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Keep them dead. I'll take Bourne, Bond, Batman, Avengers or Jack Reacher type action over that 80's Ahnold/Sly crap any day of the week
Duh. Seriously? How old are you? Free to say that you don't like them, but PLEASE don't call them crap. Most were better made and directed than 80% of the blockbusters being released today. Hollywood would be gold if most pics were written by talented writers such as Shane Black, and helmed by directors such as George Miller, James Cameron, John McTiernan, Richard Donner, Paul Verhoeven, etc.

The Road Warrior
First Blood
Terminator
Lethal Weapon
Predator
Die Hard
Total Recall
The Last Boy Scout
Terminator 2
True Lies
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Face/Off
The Rock


Last edited by -JKR-; 02-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.
-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #56
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,409
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Half of those aren't 80s.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
-JKR-
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

I added them because they pretty much continued the action cinema started in the 1980s, BUT:

The Road Warrior
First Blood
Terminator
Lethal Weapon
Predator
Die Hard

...still has an impact! :P

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #58
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!
 
dude love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Val Verde
Posts: 9,064
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Ugh. The 80's did the Bourne/Bond style action film in the first place. It was called Die Hard and it did it better.

dude love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #59
jacobed
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,646
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Die Hard is no way Bourne. Bourne is much more hand to hand. John McClane is not a hand to hand guy. Not even close

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #60
jacobed
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,646
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JKR- View Post
Duh. Seriously? How old are you? Free to say that you don't like them, but PLEASE don't call them crap. Most were better made and directed than 80% of the blockbusters being released today. Hollywood would be gold if most pics were written by talented writers such as Shane Black, and helmed by directors such as George Miller, James Cameron, John McTiernan, Richard Donner, Paul Verhoeven, etc.

The Road Warrior
First Blood
Terminator
Lethal Weapon
Predator
Die Hard
Total Recall
The Last Boy Scout
Terminator 2
True Lies
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Face/Off
The Rock
Haha only like 3 or 4 of those movies are actually good. And your so called list of "great directors" um not counting Shane Black all them dropped into mediocrity before dropping off the grid completely. Unfortunately Cameron hasn't fallen off the grid, he keeps delivering mediocrity

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #61
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Jacobed, only stating this due to the haha part, that is YOUR opinion. Not the truth. The only truth is that truth is subjective. Your truth is different from his truth is different from my truth. THAT is the only truth. Your opinion holds no more merit than his.

Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #62
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,409
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

I think the list -JKR- made is full of action masterpieces. And yes, I know what the word "masterpiece" means.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #63
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

I'd also call J's list great... But it's missing Lethal Weapon 2.

But I don't think most of those 80s action movies he listed are considered "Old School". When I think 80s action movie, I don't usually think Lethal Weapon or Die Hard, but the fun, shoot em up movies of Arnold/Sly. I think of Lethal Weapon and Die Hard (especially the latter) as the movies that helped changed the trends of action movies and helped give birth to what an action movie star is today, which is more of a normal, down to earth looking character who you wouldn't even suspect would be an asskicker.

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.

Last edited by Mrs. Sawyer; 02-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #64
-JKR-
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I'd also call J's list great... But it's missing Lethal Weapon 2.

But I don't think most of those 80s action movies he listed are considered "Old School". When I think 80s action movie, I don't usually think Lethal Weapon or Die Hard, but the fun, shoot em up movies of Arnold/Sly. I think of Lethal Weapon and Die Hard (especially the latter) as the movies that helped changed the trends of action movies and helped give birth to what an action movie star is today, which is more of a normal, down to earth looking character who you wouldn't even suspect would be an asskicker.
You're right, and I'm sorry.

And even though those movies DID revolutionize the action genre, I still consider them old school action movies. They built upon the previous/first genre entries, and helped improve the genre. Just calling the Stallone/Schwarzenegger shoot 'em ups such as those already mentioned and Cobra, Commando, etc. would be very limiting.

Quote:
Haha only like 3 or 4 of those movies are actually good. And your so called list of "great directors" um not counting Shane Black all them dropped into mediocrity before dropping off the grid completely. Unfortunately Cameron hasn't fallen off the grid, he keeps delivering mediocrity
The fact that many of those directors have burned bridges in Hollywood doesn't take away anything they did while they were on top. And at their top, they did stuff most directors today could only dream about. But at this point I'm curious. Which ones are good, and why aren't the others good to you?


Last edited by -JKR-; 02-12-2013 at 10:03 AM.
-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #65
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,804
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

One of the biggest problems with the action genre is that studios forgot that they needed talented directors. People sometimes forget that masterful filmmakers like Leone , Kurosawa , Peckinpah sometimes worked clearly in the genre.

During the 90's i think it got associated with too much crappy movies (some of them are actually very fun)

Even in the land of action (HK) , the genre stalled

Shiiiity directors....



Last edited by Tequilla; 02-12-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #66
Ajendo
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,428
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

I'm watching Hard Boiled tonight cot dammit!

Ajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #67
Tequilla
Side-Kick
 
Tequilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: P
Posts: 1,804
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajendo View Post
I'm watching Hard Boiled tonight cot dammit!
My man !



Tequilla , a baby and a shotgun , all that's needed to have a blast !

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #68
-JKR-
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
One of the biggest problems with the action genre is that studios forgot that they needed talented directors. People sometimes forget that masterful filmmakers like Leone , Kurosawa , Peckinpah sometimes worked clearly in the genre.

During the 90's i think it got associated with too much crappy movies (some of them are actually very fun)

Even in the land of action (HK) , the genre stalled

Shiiiity directors....

True! Although I can't comment on the HK action movies, haven't seen much. Still got lots of catching up to do on that part!


Last edited by -JKR-; 02-12-2013 at 02:51 PM.
-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #69
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero
 
Bad Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: At Bibbo's Ace O' Clubs
Posts: 12,215
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

I'm sure that if Charles Bronson was around Sly would've given him a part on the Expendables.

__________________
"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #70
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 39,374
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

In Hollywood, nothin truly dies. It'll come back a a relevant genre again. It's all circular.

Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #71
SlamAdams
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,293
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I'd also call J's list great... But it's missing Lethal Weapon 2.

But I don't think most of those 80s action movies he listed are considered "Old School". When I think 80s action movie, I don't usually think Lethal Weapon or Die Hard, but the fun, shoot em up movies of Arnold/Sly. I think of Lethal Weapon and Die Hard (especially the latter) as the movies that helped changed the trends of action movies and helped give birth to what an action movie star is today, which is more of a normal, down to earth looking character who you wouldn't even suspect would be an asskicker.
yea, and I prefer the sarcastic everyman movies to the one man army movies.

__________________
Slam Adams at House of Geekery
SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #72
SlamAdams
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,293
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

I may have seen The Last Stand, Parker, and Bullet to the Head if the trailers didn't make them look like spoofs of the old school action movies.

When Schwarzenegger talked about getting back in the game, he said he had to pick his roles better like Clint Eastwood. So far I haven't seen that from Arnie. He seems to be doing the same thing he was doing before he retired except when all is said and done he says, "Ugh, I'm old." Arnie needs a Unforgiven. He needs a In the Line of Fire.

__________________
Slam Adams at House of Geekery
SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #73
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 39,374
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamAdams View Post
I may have seen The Last Stand, Parker, and Bullet to the Head if the trailers didn't make them look like spoofs of the old school action movies.

When Schwarzenegger talked about getting back in the game, he said he had to pick his roles better like Clint Eastwood. So far I haven't seen that from Arnie. He seems to be doing the same thing he was doing before he retired except when all is said and done he says, "Ugh, I'm old." Arnie needs a Unforgiven. He needs a In the Line of Fire.
Exactly.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #74
SlamAdams
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,293
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

And what the hell is Stallone doing? Rambo and Rocky Balboa were so surprisingly awesome that the both Expendables movies (despite how fun they are) completely pale in comparison.

__________________
Slam Adams at House of Geekery
SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #75
-JKR-
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: Are Old School Action Movies Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamAdams View Post
And what the hell is Stallone doing? Rambo and Rocky Balboa were so surprisingly awesome that the both Expendables movies (despite how fun they are) completely pale in comparison.
The Expendables movies are a waste of talent. You gather all those action stars and THAT is all you can get out of it?

-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.