The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #301
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wow I really like Zod's armor.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #302
McLarenMP4
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also is that the 1st look of Faora's emblem?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #303
Simo
Side-Kick

Zod's armor does look pretty ballin'.

I didn't post the Superman statue as honestly...it looks like crap.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #304
sup101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenMP4 View Post
Also is that the 1st look of Faora's emblem?
Yeap

Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #305
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

No helmet, Zod?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #306
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post

alien enough?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #307
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

How many suits does Jor-El have? Or is it just not colored here?

Totally looks like bone. And yes, VERY HR Giger'ish.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #308
lixdexia
Blood Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Zod's armor does look pretty ballin'.

I didn't post the Superman statue as honestly...it looks like crap.
please post anyway

dictated, not read.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #309
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixdexia View Post
please post anyway

Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #310
lixdexia
Blood Angels

thanks!

dictated, not read.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #311
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

It is just me, or does Zod's and Faora's armor look nothing like Jor-El's? Jor-El's armor has an almost biological look to it -- someone compared it to the engineer's outfit and that's a good comparison. But Zod's and Faora's outfits look more metallic or industrial. There are none of those biological elements. They seem very inconsistent. Is it a stretch to presume they are from a different planet or race of people?

Compare:

Jor-El:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Zod:

Faora:

Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #312
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Zod's look very very alien and I mean Alien as in the movie

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #313
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
...Is it a stretch to presume they are from a different planet or race of people?
Yeah, it's a huge stretch. Jor-El's armor might be suited for something different than Zod and Faora's.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #314
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Yeah, it's a huge stretch. Jor-El's armor might be suited for something different than Zod and Faora's.
I had thought that -- perhaps Jor-El's isn't military grade -- but Jor-El's suit is most certainly armor (see the gauntlets -- and his use of a rifle of some sort). What would he use it for other than for military use? What practical difference in use could account for one having biological elements to it and the other not having any biological elements at all?

There is a very stark difference in the style of each suit. Perhaps one is military and one is royal dress. But they are not of the same ilk.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #315
DKDetective
Commander RNVR

It's so good to finally get a real look at Zod and Jor-El's armor and even some Kryptonian weapons. However, I feel like it was a mistake that we are getting such detailed looks through toys and statues instead of stills or trailers. We had multiple official stills and promo shots of Bane and Catwoman before we saw their toys if I recall correctly. Moreover, during the lead-up to TDKR, everyone on the Bat-boards was complaining about how minimal the marketing and coverage was and somehow MOS's marketing is even further behind. Warner Bros needs to really get its act in gear.

Also, I wonder how Russell Crowe is going to match that statue in the film. We've all seen the shots of him straining the waistline of his Kryptonian robes on set. Is Snyder going to CGI his belly or something? With action figures, of course you assume the physique is not going to be very representative of reality, but I don't think they would completely change Jor-El's body for one of these highly detailed, replica statues.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #316
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
It's so good to finally get a real look at Zod and Jor-El's armor and even some Kryptonian weapons. However, I feel like it was a mistake that we are getting such detailed looks through toys and statues instead of stills or trailers. We had multiple official stills and promo shots of Bane and Catwoman before we saw their toys if I recall correctly. Moreover, during the lead-up to TDKR, everyone on the Bat-boards was complaining about how minimal the marketing and coverage was and somehow MOS's marketing is even further behind. Warner Bros needs to really get its act in gear.

Also, I wonder how Russell Crowe is going to match that statue in the film. We've all seen the shots of him straining the waistline of his Kryptonian robes on set. Is Snyder going to CGI his belly or something? With action figures, of course you assume the physique is not going to be very representative of reality, but I don't think they would completely change Jor-El's body for one of these highly detailed, replica statues.
The TDKR promo shots and stills got a wider audience. These will only be seen by us hardcore types. They're not ruining anything for us -- and they're much less concerned about marketing to us. 98+% of people that see the movie will have never seen these, so the "backwards" nature of their release is kind of irrelevant.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #317
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
I had thought that -- perhaps Jor-El's isn't military grade -- but Jor-El's suit is most certainly armor (see the gauntlets -- and his use of a rifle of some sort). What would he use it for other than for military use? What practical difference in use could account for one having biological elements to it and the other not having any biological elements at all?
I think you're just reading way too much into it. Zod and Faora are soldiers. I think it's safe to assume that what they're wearing is standard gear for the Kryptonian military. Jor-El, on the other hand, is a scientist. His armor can look however he wants it to. The biological elements might exist because his armor is able to (for example) form weapons out of pieces of itself; monitor his vitals; and other things of that nature. It might even be a prototype armor that he designed for the military that he, for whatever reason, is forced to use at some point(which would explain some of the similar design elements).

Either way: everyone you're looking at is Kryptonian and the fact that their armor looks different probably doesn't mean anything significant.

Last edited by The Boy Scout; 02-10-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #318
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think you're just reading way too much into it. Zod and Faora are soldiers. I think it's safe to assume that what they're wearing is standard gear for the Kryptonian military. Jor-El, on the other hand, is a scientist. His armor can look however he wants it to. The biological elements might exist because his armor is able to (for example) form weapons out of pieces of itself; monitor his vitals; and other things of that nature. It might even be a prototype armor that he designed for the military that he, for whatever reason, is forced to use at some point.

Either way: everyone you're looking at is Kryptonian and the fact that their armor looks different probably doesn't mean anything significant.
Maybe. It's all speculation at this point.

The difference in design is almost certainly intentional, though.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #319
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Intentional, yes, but the significance of it probably isn't as large as you think. We'll see.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #320
dark_b
Side-Kick

i demand an explanation from WB why Zod's armor is CGI. based on this new toy there is no way that an actor couldnt wear it or that Legacy Effects(Stan Winston) couldnt build it.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #321
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Intentional, yes, but the significance of it probably isn't as large as you think. We'll see.
I don't think so. I think it's part of what makes them different and is part of why they're fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
i demand an explanation from WB why Zod's armor is CGI. based on this new toy there is no way that an actor couldnt wear it or that Legacy Effects(Stan Winston) couldnt build it.
He probably couldn't wear it and still be physically active and agile, though.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #322
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think so. I think it's part of what makes them different and is part of why they're fighting.

He probably couldn't wear it and still be physically active and agile, though.
it sounded like they used a CGI suit for every zod armor scene. why couldnt they use the suit for close ups and simple movement?

physicall active ? then why not make a male version of Ursa's suit? her is not bulky.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #323
Marvin
Side-Kick

worked for green lantern why not here....
actually cg armor does seem to consistently work for Ironman.
And Faora did have a practical suit on set.

Two things about the ironman approach. It does often times seem the cgi suit looks more alive than the practical plastic one. You see a similar effect in the Tranformers movies.

What's of note however is when you have to composite the cgi over human flesh, namely a head and face, that's where it get's mad tricky and as seen in Ironman(the suiting up), often falls short.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #324
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
it sounded like they used a CGI suit for every zod armor scene. why couldnt they use the suit for close ups and simple movement?

physicall active ? then why not make a male version of Ursa's suit? her is not bulky.
Zack prefers the CGI because it looks more real. As long as he delivers on that, who cares? Judging by his past films, it's hard to tell where the CGI begins and the makeup ends.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #325
DKDetective
Commander RNVR

Quote:
The TDKR promo shots and stills got a wider audience. These will only be seen by us hardcore types. They're not ruining anything for us -- and they're much less concerned about marketing to us. 98+% of people that see the movie will have never seen these, so the "backwards" nature of their release is kind of irrelevant.
Yeah, that's my point. We had real stills from TDKR at this point to attract the attention of the general audience. These unofficial photos from toy fairs and stuff only catch the attention of us hardcore types. It just seems like Warner Bros was doing a better job of raising the awareness of the general audience before TDKR when it actually needed less marketing than this film does.

Closed Thread