The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #701
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just want a great Superman film that does well enough to get a sequel.

Well that, and I want to finally see Superman have a set of adversaries that are actually scary and menacing on a consistent basis; making it that much more awesome for when Superman finally takes them down.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #702
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
I'm guessing Iron Man 3 will suck. Mandarin looks goofy and that patriotic suit is just stupid. The air save scene looks great, but that alone can't save a movie. Everything else looks like a complete disaster. I just can't imagine them coming up with a story that's worth a damn. There's not much you can do with Stark at this point. But I guess you can poor a couple hundred million into effects and parade a snarky RDJ (whose "I'm too clever routine" is kinda stale at this point) and still make a few bucks.
IM 3 may end up being the best movie of all three IM movies. RDJ has some good serious scenes in this one not just snarky "I am too clever" ones.

The villain looks great too, coupled with good action scenes. Which movie will be better ?

IM3 or MOS ? I cannot say for sure, though I am more a Superman and a DC fan.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #703
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Especially after that messy incident with NukeTheFridge.
Exactly....oh no guys, there are no scenes taking place in the desert! That's 100% false!! Oh wait, there are photos proving otherwise??? Well then they are fake....

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #704
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
This may sound harsh...because it is, but anyone who thought that may be official marketing is an idiot. Why the hell would a truck just drive around random places with a poster plastered on the side of it??? Lame
What!...I thought it was real!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #705
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes View Post
What!...I thought it was real!

Oh noes!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #706
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

So if Pa Kent bites the dust during the Tornado incident, do you guys think that it would be too much drama if Ma Kent also dies later on in the film, potentially when Zod arrives on the Kent farm when she's all alone. He could kill her just to send a message to Superman. Thoughts?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #707
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Nah I'd rather Ma Kent didn't snuff it. The film needs to end on an uplifting note.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #708
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Nah I'd rather Ma Kent didn't snuff it. The film needs to end on an uplifting note.
If Superman gains the acceptance of most and gets together with Lois (not married, but just starts off a relationship with her), wouldn't that be a uplifting note?lol

Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #709
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I'd rather she not die...both don't need to die. I'd prefer Pa Kent not die but oh well...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #710
Vagosnati
Vag-El

She will not die for sure.In a scene in the trailer Superman hungs her,propably when he goes for the final battle.She will live for the sequel.But i wish Pa will live too.I will prefer if he was in a coma in hospital,and survive at the end of the movie.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #711
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I would've preferred both had lived (mostly because of Costner), but where's the drama in that? It's a great lesson for Clark/Superman to learn, that he cant save his pop.

Killing off both is too much in the first movie though. Clark needs that link to his human past and a safe haven to retreat to. And the rural Kent-farm is just a welcome (visual) contrast to Metropolis and other large backdrops.

As long as Clark/Martha doesnt turn into Peter Parker/Aunt May.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #712
dark_b
Side-Kick

if Martha is part of the story in the sequel then she should live. but if her only role is giving speeches in the first act so that they can then come back in the third act NO. then she can die.

i am supporting your movies Nolan but f.. what were you thinking with Alfred in TDKR?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #713
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I would've preferred both had lived (mostly because of Costner), but where's the drama in that? It's a great lesson for Clark/Superman to learn, that he cant save his pop.

Killing off both is too much in the first movie though. Clark needs that link to his human past and a safe haven to retreat to. And the rural Kent-farm is just a welcome (visual) contrast to Metropolis and other large backdrops.

As long as Clark/Martha doesnt turn into Peter Parker/Aunt May.
the only way to create drama in a superhero movie is if one or the parents die? sounds like some boring and lazy writting. as a viewer i like a challenge with something new.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #714
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagosnati View Post
She will not die for sure.In a scene in the trailer Superman hungs her,propably when he goes for the final battle.She will live for the sequel.But i wish Pa will live too.I will prefer if he was in a coma in hospital,and survive at the end of the movie.
Tbh, I think that moment with Superman hugging Martha takes place when he comes back to Smallville for the first time after traveling the world for so long.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #715
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
If Superman gains the acceptance of most and gets together with Lois (not married, but just starts off a relationship with her), wouldn't that be a uplifting note?lol
Not if his Mother dies at the end of the film no, cause he'd be very down.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #716
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Tbh, I think that moment with Superman hugging Martha takes place when he comes back to Smallville for the first time after traveling the world for so long.
i think there is a hole in the house

Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #717
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
i think there is a hole in the house
Maybe Clark was too lazy to repair the house when he left it after the tornado?lol j/k

Man, I still wish that Warner Bros. would give us some new freaking stills right about now. At the moment, we just have like...

4 Stills from the actual film (not pictures of people posing for promotional work)..where we just have one of Jor-el, one of Zod, and two of Superman (one of him in handcuffs and the other in the desert).

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #718
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
the only way to create drama in a superhero movie is if one or the parents die? sounds like some boring and lazy writting. as a viewer i like a challenge with something new.
Well, the various versions of the mythos have included:

*both Kents dying
*both Kents living
*only one of them (usually Pa) dying

This pretty much exhausts the options for “something new.”

Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #719
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

You can always have both of them be zombies.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #720
elgaz
Side-Kick

Here's my new take on the Kents : neither of them have any interest in Clark's superpowers, and Jonathan's only concern is who is going to run the farm when they both croak it. And they're currently not talking to Clark because he's 'lounging around the place' in a blue & red halloween costume rather than doing his chores and taking an interest in serious matters like raising cattle.

Seriously though, it's a tricky question. I think Jonathan needs to die for Clark to have that great life lesson that even with all his powers, he can't save everyone .... he can only try his best. And it also gives him that emptiness in his life which inspires him to go on his travels around the world and 'find himself', which eventually leads to the FOS and Jor-El's legacy.

However the whole dead parent thing has also been done to death now in many movies - Spiderman and Batman being the obvious ones.

I think Jonathan sacrificing his own life to save someone would be a better angle to take. He still dies, but rather than dying the way it's often been depicted (a heart attack, thus leaving Clark feeling helpless) he dies because he places the value of another person's life over his own. And this greatly inspires Clark to step up to the mark - if Jonathan can be so heroic, then Clark with all his powers should have nothing holding him back.

Last edited by elgaz; 02-14-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #721
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Not what I said, but in this particular case it works better imo.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #722
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard

So Cavill has an interview in tomorrow's Total Film magazine. And a poster.

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #723
Torrente
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Here's my new take on the Kents : neither of them have any interest in Clark's superpowers, and Jonathan's only concern is who is going to run the farm when they both croak it. And they're currently not talking to Clark because he's 'lounging around the place' in a blue & red halloween costume rather than doing his chores and taking an interest in serious matters like raising cattle.

Seriously though, it's a tricky question. I think Jonathan needs to die for Clark to have that great life lesson that even with all his powers, he can't save everyone .... he can only try his best. And it also gives him that emptiness in his life which inspires him to go on his travels around the world and 'find himself', which eventually leads to the FOS and Jor-El's legacy.

However the whole dead parent thing has also been done to death now in many movies - Spiderman and Batman being the obvious ones.

I think Jonathan sacrificing his own life to save someone would be a better angle to take. He still dies, but rather than dying the way it's often been depicted (a heart attack, thus leaving Clark feeling helpless) he dies because he places the value of another person's life over his own. And this greatly inspires Clark to step up to the mark - if Jonathan can be so heroic, then Clark with all his powers should have nothing holding him back.

First of all thank you so much for the welcoming words, last time i got so many of them was...well, never lol...

About Pa Kent's death I would actually like something like this, shows Clark that the goodness of a human being is bigger than any other creature's, self sacrifice, even for the safety of a stranger. I think this will be his definite link to what superman is all about, saving the people he loves but also the ones he doesn't even know.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #724
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post

Problem with sort of a lesson is that it does not jive with what we have seen of the film. Why would Clark seemingly be travelling the world lost, if Jonathan's death was so heroic and purpose affirming? I dunno, while it lacks the guilt aspect of Ben Parker's death, I dislike the idea because the circumstances are too similar. Both dying because they stood up for what is right and tried to be heroic to some extent. I think Jonathan dying the traditional way of a heart attack or some other natural cause is so much more uniquely Superman. Whereas others like Batman or Spider-Man are driven to the heroic life because of parental death, Jonathan's death causes Clark to doubt that life/purpose. I think Jonathan dying a natural death after crisis of a tornado in Smallville causes him to doubt the heroic path he has followed his entire life. It makes Clark ask questions like is it fair for him to intervene if he can't save everyone? etc.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #725
GreenKToo
In the fire

Im thinking jonathan dies during the tornado. Clark has yet to use all his powers. They see the little boy in danger, and clark cant save both the boy and jonathan. Jonathan tells clark to save the boy and the tornado takes him......that or something similar is what I think will happen. Set pics earlier showed jonathan wearing the same clothes as a man in the background in the trailer, the part where clark is bent over the child with the tornado in the background.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 02-14-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Closed Thread